Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easter 2019 - Change of scene

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Goode evening,
I've used this great site before for advice so coming back for more. I know its only August but just started thinking of next year. We're two families of 4 and for the last 3 years, we've been to Tignes for Easter which has been fantastic.
Some of the group would like a change next year so started searching etc. One resort via Alpine Elements is St Anton with the chalets coming in pretty reasonable.
Dates next year are 14th-21st April
the chalets in the list are:
Chalet St.Martin
Chalet Christiane
Chalet Sophia
Chalet Rathia
Chalet Helvetia

Does anyone have any experience/views of the above, particularly access to the slopes via the bus.

We would really appreciate your input

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Post the question in this established Arlberg thread and it should get a good / better response.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=137655

Stanton, who posts on there, will probably have a fair idea.

St Anton is a fairly well organized resort, so wherever you stay should not be a problem for skiing or buses, even that late in the season, as long as the accommodation is nearish the main center.

Check Google Maps, St Anton tourist website / bus timetables, and Instantstreetview, too.

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@47.122528,10.250858,154.99h,5p,1z
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What type of skiing do you like?

With Easter being in the second half of April, St Anton is likely to have some very good skiing but within quite a defined time window. The quantity of snow is unlikely to be the problem, given the huge annual snowfall. A lot of the slopes in both St Anton and Lech have a sunny aspect, which leads to a very pronounced freeze-thaw cycle and means the pistes can seem very slushy after lunchtime (especially if you're used to Tignes). Normally I would expect to get around 4 hours (plus/minus a bit) of prime conditions for spring snow (off piste in particular) at that time of year and then chill on a sunny terrace from mid-afternoon.

An alternative for an Austrian change from Tignes could be Ischgl, which is one valley over from St Anton. Very extensive network of pistes and north facing slopes with a very large proportion over 2000m. You can also ski into Switzerland on piste which is a great adventure.

In summary if I was going for an Austrian Espace Killy piste-style experience with consistent snow conditions for piste cruising throughout much of the day, I would go for Ischgl. If more interested in off piste and more challenging ungroomed trails similar to the Sache or fornet in Tignes then St Anton is probably a better bet.

Other places which may suit (and where I've had great skiing at that time of year) are Solden (10 minute bus up to obergurgl adds up to quite a big and varied area) and Cervinia in Italy (ski around the Matterhorn and over into Switzerland, without taking out a mortgage to pay Swiss hotel prices).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Val Thoren, forget St Anton.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
St Anton will be fantastic at Easter, loads of skiing, and North facing higher slopes in the connected areas of Stuben, Zurs and Lech.

We went for many years, staying in Stuben which was a little cheaper. Skied all day to 4pm most days, even the very hot ones.

Some pics/videos of the snow here:

https://greghilton.co.uk/easter-skiing-at-stuben/
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy