Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eureka moments?

Poster: A snowHead
I was just wondering if any Snowheads out there had experienced any eureka moments in their skiing history, moments when some change of technique made a significant positive difference to their ability, on or off piste?
If so..... what was it?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Search « turn on one bump » there was a similar thread some years ago, maybe worth re-examining?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@FoofyNoo, skiing with Claude Decagny.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@under a new name, too much traffic for you this time of year?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Gämsbock, ?

On my phone.

This thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=726971&highlight=one+bump#726971
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@under a new name, threads about actually skiing are a rare treat at this time of year.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, half way through my L2 instructor exams. The moment was when I started to tune-in to my internal feedback and “feel” what was happening as I made turns rather than simply trying to crush every snowflake on the hill.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My first day on my first fat and twin tipped skis - skiing could feel like snowboarding and be intuitive

(postscript - slipped in the car park at the end of the day and put shiny brand new edge through bridge of my nose resulting in more crimson than the Red Wedding )
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
using my shoulder to initiate turns, rather than my hips.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mr.Egg wrote:

Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar wrote:
rather than simply trying to crush every snowflake on the hill.

I quite enjoy millennial bashing NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That would be your famous well honed sense of irony @Mr.Egg?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Planting my pole on the top of the bump and standing up with my chest over the pole.

Suddenly skiing on my edges and feeling like I could never fall again.

Thank you Guido, the law student earning some Christmas money as a ski instructor in Livigno 1981.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mr.Egg wrote:

Am I doing something wrong???
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@TQA, “Planting my pole on the top of the bump and standing up with my chest over the pole.” ??
latest report
Thornyhill wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:

Yes, sideways or forwards.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Thornyhill wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:

Yes, sideways or forwards.

I use my skis. Seems more efficient than hips or shoulders. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Thornyhill wrote:
I use my skis. Seems more efficient than hips or shoulders. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
Indeed.
snow conditions
I've either forgotten my "light bulb moment" Sad
or better still I haven't had it yet. Blush
snow report
@Thornyhill, @rob@rar, well, yes, but not When it’s super steep Happy surely?
snow conditions
Tightening my DIN when skiing off piste. Kept losing skis but put it down to me falling over, then losing ski, rather than vice versa. Also Steve Angus yelling 'feet closer together'. My off piste is still a case of surviving, rather than skiing, but I've spent a lot less time on my back bottom since.
snow conditions
Desperately waiting for it to happen. Puzzled rolling eyes
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@Thornyhill, @rob@rar, well, yes, but not When it’s super steep Happy surely?

I mostly use my face to self arrest then if I'm being entirely honest.
ski holidays
1: Realising pretending I could snowboard was 90% as good as being able to snowboard.

2: First time following and mimicking (or at least trying to) a much better and faster rider, on my first snowheads bash.

Still waiting for number 3.
latest report
@jjams82, You’ve got rid of your number two, so should be much lighter on your board now. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Always been a supreme rider wink
latest report
@spyderjon, @Thornyhill,

I snowboard
ski holidays
Trying out a pair of 132mm waisted fully rockered Volkl Kuros on a powder day in Engelberg about 10 years ago. Bought a pair and never looked back.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Technique - balancing with the slope throughout the turn

Equipment - centre mounted twin tip ski

Tactic - resorts marketed as 'family resorts' have plenty of expert terrain without the experts skiing it
snow report
Experience of la dolce vita after a post-lunch snooze in a sun trap on a mountain in Alleghe ... changed everything Cool
ski holidays
first time I bothered to tune my edges
snow report
Similar to hang11 - the first time I hired top price skis that actually had sharp metal edges, not the ones made from wool on the budget skis I'd had before. Suddenly they wanted to turn when I tried getting on the front of the skis, which encouraged me to get more on the fronts, which made them want to turn even more. Once you KNOW it's going to work you have the confidence to do it on any skis but when you're learning and the skis you're on don't feel like they want to it doesn't matter how often the instructor tells you to do it.
snow report
On steeper slopes, start the turn by using your uphill leg to jump down the fall line (well that was how it was described and felt)

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 15-08-18 12:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Relaxing through the telemark turn rather than keeping the force on. It uses a lot less effort and means I can do far more tele turns in a day. Happiness snowHead
snow report
In the days before footbeds were invented, having someone adjust the canting on my boots so I could stand flat rather than on the outside edges. Improved my skiing 100% overnight.
snow report
Going to bed at 9pm instead of 4am really helped.
latest report
Also, joining Snowheads and realising that it was easy to ski multiple weeks in a season without much effort.
snow report
@geepee, I like to call that a stage two weight reduction:D
snow report
Gordyjh wrote:
In the days before footbeds were invented, having someone adjust the canting on my boots so I could stand flat rather than on the outside edges. Improved my skiing 100% overnight.

More recently, but similar. After getting new boots & quality footbeds correcting a pronation, going to Hemel 'on the way home' and finding that there were things I could suddenly do (most notably side slipping) that I had been struggling with for ages. (Subsequently improved even further with a full alignment assessment).

Very early on, having been told by different instructors 'lean more forward' and 'don't stick your bum out' - getting me progressivly more and more confused - one instructor instead told me to contact my core.

First time I got a brand new pair of rental skis at Mt. Hemel made me realise that sometimes my bad ski-days were bad-ski days.

The point during my shadowing where the instructor I was shadowing said to his group 'so far we've been making our snowplough bigger and smaller by turning our feet in opposite directions, what's going to happen if we turn our feet in the same direction?'. The answer is obvious, but it was the key for me to seeing the central theme as a progression rather than a series of steps.
ski holidays
@ALQ, Experiencing the "getting-on-a-bit" snowheads approach to skiing was probably my number 3 eureka moment... I never suspected lunch/coffee/drinks (and all the other excuses to stop a while and put stuff in your face) could be every bit as good as sliding.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy