Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting to La Tania - Airport and transfers

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

So after asking about recommendations for Austria we have booked our next trip to La Tania..... (in fairness, we are doing Austria as well, just later in the season).

We are a group of 5 adults and will be flying from Gatwick on a Saturday (I know, the worst day) in late January. We won't have skis, just luggage. Was just after peoples thoughts and advice on the best way of getting ourselves to La Tania.

We won't be going into Chambrey due to poor/non existent flight options.

I guess that leaves Grenoble, Lyon and Geneva.

Having experienced Grenoble 3 years on the bounce, it hasn't been pleasant at any time (especially return leg) and from what I've seen, not a huge amount of car rental option.
I've read horror stories about Geneva on Saturday's and the seemingly very complicated car rental from which side etc.
Lyon may be an option but not had any experience at all with that airport.

We will be needing a sizable car as there are 5 of us, so the more option rental-wise the better. Happy driving abroad (and done loads in France) but never tackled an Alp before so when hiring a car I guess I need to make sure it has winter tyres and/or snow chains? Do I need chains if I have winter tyres or can I just have regular tyres and rent/buy the chains?
Anyone got a rough idea of toll costs from the airports?

Based on people's experiences what would you recommend for the smoothest airport experience (discounting uncontrollable weather conditions)?

The other option is a private transfer as not keen on waiting for public buses etc. Can anyone recommend a good company that covers the Three Valleys?

Cheers all

Fridge
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Fridge03, La Tania is a great base for the 3 Valleys IMHO, especially for late Jan.

My thoughts. I wouldn’t bother with a rental car unless planning to drive to other ski areas or other tourist/shopping attractions or whatever. You’ll have to find somewhere to park and you’d need snow chains, ideally winter tyres. Winter tyres make it less likely you’d have to fit snow chains but you still have to carry them if driving up the mountain.

However if you decide to rent a car I’d say GVA has most options, then Lyon, then Grenoble fewest.

I’d say driving in and around LYS is a bit easier than GVA. Otherwise not much different. GVA car rental is as simple or complicated as you want to make it.

Plenty of advice on snowHeads about do’s and dont’s of car rental. Toll costs you should get from any decent route planner, eg AA, Via Michelin.

Neither GVA or LYS is much fun on Saturdays but shouldn’t be too bad in late Jan, provided there’s no snowmageddon or whatever.

Surprised no/poor flight options from GAT to CMF on Saturdays. Despite smallness and occasional early morning fog/mist, CMF remains the least worst for me, shortest transfer. The key is to get outside or get a drink while the inadequate baggage conveyors clear. Most people stand 3 inches from the belt and completely mess up access and egress.

Plenty of private transfers from GVA to La Tania. If you wanted to PM me I have images of all those operating last season I could send. There may be SnowHead threads you could search for that have that info too. Don’t know if they book this far ahead.

Hope that helps. Have you booked just accommodation so far? snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lyon airport is pretty good IME if flying scheduled - you are straight out onto the motorway near Bourgoin Jallieu and thence to Chambery etc. Toll costs probably 20 ish Euro to Albertville
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PeakyB wrote:
@Fridge03, La Tania is a great base for the 3 Valleys IMHO, especially for late Jan.

My thoughts. I wouldn’t bother with a rental car unless planning to drive to other ski areas or other tourist/shopping attractions or whatever. You’ll have to find somewhere to park and you’d need snow chains, ideally winter tyres. Winter tyres make it less likely you’d have to fit snow chains but you still have to carry them if driving up the mountain.

However if you decide to rent a car I’d say GVA has most options, then Lyon, then Grenoble fewest.

I’d say driving in and around LYS is a bit easier than GVA. Otherwise not much different. GVA car rental is as simple or complicated as you want to make it.

Plenty of advice on snowHeads about do’s and dont’s of car rental. Toll costs you should get from any decent route planner, eg AA, Via Michelin.

Neither GVA or LYS is much fun on Saturdays but shouldn’t be too bad in late Jan, provided there’s no snowmageddon or whatever.

Surprised no/poor flight options from GAT to CMF on Saturdays. Despite smallness and occasional early morning fog/mist, CMF remains the least worst for me, shortest transfer. The key is to get outside or get a drink while the inadequate baggage conveyors clear. Most people stand 3 inches from the belt and completely mess up access and egress.

Plenty of private transfers from GVA to La Tania. If you wanted to PM me I have images of all those operating last season I could send. There may be SnowHead threads you could search for that have that info too. Don’t know if they book this far ahead.

Hope that helps. Have you booked just accommodation so far? snowHead

Yes, just booked up accommodation so far.

We have read good things about La Tania, maybe not to everyone's taste but easy access up to Courchevel or Meribel and then onwards.

At the moment, the only options for Chambrey from Gatwick is Thompsons flights at £200 a pop.

I'll send you a PM if thats ok? A transfer would be easier rather than renting.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Lyon airport is pretty good IME if flying scheduled - you are straight out onto the motorway near Bourgoin Jallieu and thence to Chambery etc. Toll costs probably 20 ish Euro to Albertville

Great. Thanks for the info. You do seem to be some kind of ski knowledge guru.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
This will probably help:

http://www.latania.co.uk/resort/transfers.htm
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fridge03 wrote:

Great. Thanks for the info. You do seem to be some kind of ski knowledge idiot savant.

FIFY
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Fridge03, info PMd to you.

You’re right, but nowhere is to everybody’s taste.

£200 for Thomsons flights? Maybe but they were selling them off at about £80 return a month before departure last season and still spare seats on flights.

We also added on their transfers. Regional return flights + return transfers (La Tania) were about £160pp.

Anyway, hope the transfer company info is helpful.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We used Snowbound Transfers last year EUR 560 return during half term week. Pick up from Geneva and drop off at the chalet. Very civilized and would recommend again.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you do fly to Geneva renting cars on the Swiss side is straightforward and you will get snow tyres - which make a big difference. You still need chains but are much less likely to have to use them. But a transfer sounds a good option.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A Ford Tourneo is 600e for a week from Geneva airport.

I suspect two way private transfers for 5 people will be more.

I have always liked having my own wheels.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Great. Thanks for the info everyone!

It's looking like Geneva and a transfer to be honest. When we factor in toll costs and fuel it is coming out at virtually the same price as a private transfer. Plus we don't intend on driving when there so the car will just sit around for a week getting covered in snow (hopefully).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Plus we don't intend on driving when there so the car will just sit around for a week getting covered in snow (hopefully).

yes, getting rid of a car in a ski resort can cost quite a lot of money - or involve quite a lot of digging.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fly to GVA, (Airport with the most transfer options)

Get a return transfer from either of these guys

http://www.3vt.co.uk/ (Private transfers)

http://www.3vt.co.uk/shared_transfers.htm

(Shared transfers but max 8 x Passengers in a mini bus so I'm guessing you won't be waiting for many if any other passengers). Called VAn Rouge but the same comany as above

Or

https://www.snowboundtransfers.co.uk/

Why bother with a car, for me, just concentrate on having a fab holiday, let someone else worry about driving, snowchains, winter tyres, traffic etc etc.

You deffo deffo deffo do not need a car in La Tania, you will just end up with a job to dig it out at the end of the week. The ski area is massive, la Tania is a nice little self contained village.

The Navettes are good to/from la Tania so if you want to go else where for a pint/Apres etc then use the Navettes.

If your going to any of the other Courchevel villages for a beer then Le Praz is the nicest spot, couple of OK chilled Bars but in truth La Tania has all you need for a week.

The 3 x transfer companies I have listed above are not muppets (You get what you pay for).

P.S. Don't get stuck in the wrong valley after the lifts shut (Either the V.T or Meribel Valley) as that woul mean an expensive taxi.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@247snowman wrote:
P.S. Don't get stuck in the wrong valley after the lifts shut (Either the V.T or Meribel Valley) as that woul mean an expensive taxi.

Meribel - La Tania: 4 miles (and only 2.5 from Meribel Village, to which you can get by free ski-bus), so taxi not excessive.
Val Thorens - La Tania: 30 miles. Taxi expensive.
Orelle - La Tania: 75 miles. Might be cheaper to find some local accommodation!
snow report
5 adults means a big hire car, so it may not be cheaper than transfers, but it usually is. There's always the possibility of bad weather and that makes transfers attractive, but I've always hired - like to be in control of my own destiny. A car is useful if you're self catering and want to go to one of the supermarkets in Moutiers or fancy a day out to another resort (skis on lap time?) - e.g. Champagny and skiing La Plagne. I've never used Lyon on a Saturday, but it's not overly busy at other times. It was being rebuilt when I was last there - now complete I believe. Note at both Lyon and Geneva that the car hire is a short bus ride away from the terminal - that's not an issue at Grenoble.
snow report
Quote:

Note at both Lyon and Geneva that the car hire is a short bus ride away from the terminal - that's not an issue at Grenoble.

The French side car hire in Geneva is in the terminal. But - as with Grenoble - you won't get snow tyres. The short bus ride on the Swiss side of Gva is not an issue - though if you're not carrying masses of stuff it's as quick to walk, half the time.

The price differences between French and Swiss sides in Gva are inconsistent - in mid winter I'd go Swiss because of the huge advantage of snow tyres. But you still need chains - and won't always get them without asking.

For a holiday in a ski in/out resort a transfer, even if a bit more expensive, is probably worth it. A car can be a pain in the backside in a snowy ski resort and paying for covered parking is usually expensive.
ski holidays
@Fridge03, I forgot. @denfinella did a brilliant summary of transfers from Alps airports to all main resorts.

It is on as a sticky under Resort Reviews and Trip Reports I think.
snowHead
snow conditions
FrediKanoute wrote:
We used Snowbound Transfers last year EUR 560 return during half term week. Pick up from Geneva and drop off at the chalet. Very civilized and would recommend again.

+1 for Snowbound. Used them to 3v from Chambery and Geneva several times. Defo go private with 5 pax involved.

CG
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy