Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Evasion Mont Blanc - Megeve/St Gervais/Combloux/Les Contamines - 23/24

Poster: A snowHead
2023/2024
SG partial opening from the 16th onwards, general opening on the 23th of December.
Les Contamines is open from 16th of December until the 14th of April 2024.
Megève Partial Opening 9 & 10 December 2023, Partial Opening from December 16th 2023, General Opening December the 23th 2023. Princesse & Mont d’Arbois area closing April the 1st 2024, Rochebrune area closing April the 7th 2024

TBC

New
Work has started on the new Le Fayet to Saint Gervais lift. The Le Fayet-Saint Gervais lift and Saint Gervais-Le Bettex lifts will be completed for the winter of 24/25. The wastewater funicular lift from the Thermal Park to Saint Gervais will be complete in April 2024.
Work has paused on the Cote 2000 side on the new TSD6 Lac, TSD6 Crêtes & TKE Prés lifts due to enviromental concerns.
====================================================

2022/2023
Megeve Partial Opening on the weekend of the 3rd and 4th of December snow permitting. Les Contamines open on the weekends of 3rd/4th/10th/11th snow permitting. Partial opening (Megeve & St Gervais) from the 10th onwards. General opening on the 17th of December including Les Contamines.

Princesse gondola is open until the 2nd of April, Mont d’Arbois & Rochebrune open until the 10th of April and the Cote 2000 area will remain open until 16 April depending on snow conditions. Les Contamines is open until the 23rd of April 2023.

New
The old green chair Arbois in St Gervais is going to be replaced with a new 6 seater now called TSD6 Nants. Work has begun on the Cote 2000 side on the new TSD6 Lac, TSD6 Crêtes & TKE Prés lifts which will be completed next summer.

2021/2022
Partial opening from the 11th onwards. General opening on the 18th of December. Partial closure on the St Gervais side on the 11th of April (Princesse gondola generally closes a week earlier) and general closure on the 18th of April. Les Contamines is generally open a week longer.

NEW: In Megeve the Rochebrune cabins are to be replaced. In Contamines the TSD6 Olympique will be completed and this will replace the TSF3 Roselette. Work on the new lifts in Megeve has been further delayed due to landowner issues but may start before the end of the year.

2020/2021
Partial opening from the 12th onwards. General opening on the 19th of December. Partial closure on the St Gervais side on the 4th of April (Princesse gondola will be closed on the 28th of March) and general closure on the 11th of April. Les Contamines is generally open a week longer.

NEW: The Mont d'Arbois top station has a new beginner ski area and the Col button is replaced. In Contamines the TSD6 Olympique construction has started but will be done over 2 summers, this will replace the TSF3 Roselette.

2019/2020
Partial opening from the 14th onwards. General opening on the 21st of December. Partial closure on the St Gervais side on the 6th of April (Princesse gondola will be closed on the 30th of March) and general closure on the 13th of April. Les Contamines is generally open a week longer.

NEW: The major changes for the season are the upgrade of the Chattrix charilift to a 6 seater detachable and some earthworks at the end of the chattrix run to make it easier. There is also a new tunnel on the St Gervais home run on the main road (Route d'Orsin) so 1 less on/off of the skis on the way back down.

2018/2019

Conditions permitting, partial opening on the weekend of the 8th and 9th of December and partial opening from the 15th onwards. General opening on the 22nd of December. Partial closure on the St Gervais side on the 7th of April (Princesse gondola will be closed on the 31st of March) and general closure on the 14th of April. Les Contamines is generally open a week longer.

NEWS: Some big infrastructure changes are expected in 2019. The TSF2 Chattrix lift in Saint Nicholas will be replaced and on the Megeve side the TSD4 Fontaine, TSF4 Jardins and TK Lanchettes will be replaced by 2 new TSD6 lifts and new TKE1 drag, all in the summer of 2019. In the Arbois sector the Arbois(T41) lift will also be replaced but its not clear yet when that will be.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 12-09-23 15:25; edited 14 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Our school breaks for Easter 5th April, so can squeeze last week in
Where did you get information from
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The dates are from the council meeting notes. The lift info was published in the news last week - https://www.ledauphine.com/haute-savoie/2018/08/09/stbma-garde-la-gestion-du-domaine-skiable
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Partial opening from this weekend - https://www.ski-saintgervais.com/en/Ouvertures
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sorry - started an alternative thread earlier this week. didn't occur to me to search back to AUgust!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Heading to St Gervais in January so I'll be following this thread with interest.

Quite a generous partial opening yesterday - all four sectors of EMB opened. Portes du Mont Blanc looked especially good with Combloux, Megeve and La Giettaz all linked up.

Piles of slush cleared from overnight snow on the webcams in St Gervais this morning (800m) but long since turned to rain. Also now appears to be rain on the EMB summit webcams (c. 1700m).

Compared to the text forecasts I was reading, that suggests an initially lower snowline than expected, but then a bigger rise in temps than expected too.

Freezing level should drop again as the next (cold) front approaches later today, with snow forecast down to at least Megeve at 1100m.

Looks like an unpleasant day for skiing on the webcams but the base seems to have held up OK at most levels.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Went to Combloux today, skied over to La Giettaz and then back to Le Jaillet. The weather was grey but there was very little rain or snow. Our first day skiing this season so we stayed on blues all day. Snow was fine if you don't mind a few twigs poking through, lower down & on busy sections the cover was quite thin but nothing too bad apart from the Pere Noel run down to the bottom of the Jaillet telecabine...that was not in good shape. Quite a few of the reds & blacks were closed but I think the staff did a great job in getting all the sections opened up. Another 6 inches of snow and it will be sorted!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This is all sounding good, I've got a 10 day wait
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dont wear all that snow out ... Leave some for me ..
I'm going with my family 9th February
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Question about the Evasion Mont Blanc lift pass - having bought one online from the St Gervais website, do I have to start from St Gervais on my first day or can I start elsewhere (e.g. Les Contamines or Combloux)?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
denfinella wrote:
Question about the Evasion Mont Blanc lift pass - having bought one online from the St Gervais website, do I have to start from St Gervais on my first day or can I start elsewhere (e.g. Les Contamines or Combloux)?

You can start anywhere.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@22 dropout, thanks, good to hear. Are you sure about that? It's just that in some other multi-resort ski areas - such as Portes du Soleil - you have to start from the issuing resort.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
denfinella wrote:
@22 dropout, thanks, good to hear. Are you sure about that? It's just that in some other multi-resort ski areas - such as Portes du Soleil - you have to start from the issuing resort.

I can confirm that if you purchase an Evasion lift pass in lets say Saint-Gervais that you can use/activate it on your first day in another location e.g. Les Contamines
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quick ski yesterday afternoon in Saint-Gervais. Unfortunately the rain on Friday and Saturday morning deteriorated the piste conditions considerably resulting in some of even the upper slopes being closed or not in great condition.

It may have better today as it was a touch colder last night however day i went to Les Contamines and it was better than i expected. Decent conditions above 2000m, reasonable if a little crunchy above 1800m and good conditions in the slightly softer snow above 1600m. I even say someone skiing the home run so that must still be ok. Overall a really good day.

More rain expected this evening and overnight with a fairly high rain/snow limit of 2300m at times. However the only solace is that there is some back edge snow expected tomorrow as the system pulls in colder air as it sinks southwards, lets hope so for everyone out here this week.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@devilabit, We skiied today in St. G/Megeve, very warm and slushy, if it keeps up we probably will skip the last few days as I can't see how they'll keep any runs open. But, we're happy to be here and make the best of it. We might have to trek up to Les Contamines but I was really hoping not to have to use the car at all. (We're staying in the center of St. Gervais and walking across to the Bettex gondola, have skis etc in locker at Claude Penz.) If the temperature would drop, snow guns could fill in a lot...
snow report
@devilabit, thanks v. much. And keep up the excellent reports Smile
snow report
it looks horrible today, lets hope for some overnight snow & blue skies by day.
latest report
Just got back from an afternoon ski at St. G. Snow level is falling, was around 1600 m at 26h30. Unfortunately I think the precipitation is tailing off at the same time. Some decent patches of fresh snow, but visibility was not the best...
ski holidays
Not much to report, still freeze/thaw cycle with a bit of an inversion, so colder down in St. G/Megeve than up on the slopes. Interesting. Did note lots of people at Les Contamines this morning so I think the snow must be better up there. It's skiable above 1600 m but snow is "hard." Looks like the weather pattern is stuck here for the next 6 days or so. We're off to Chamonix on Sat/Sun but likely only for hanging out. Nonetheless, it's pleasant to ski in warm, sunny weather...
snow report
Been up in Les Contamines today and the snow is holding up really well in comparison to St Gervais yesterday which is hard packed and icy at the moment. Even some of the off piste in Les Contamines is worthwhile and the Veleray button was open today.

High pressure in control for another week so not much change in conditions but there is a possible storm in about a week, far from certain at this stage.
ski holidays
Skied StG today, was a thin coating of artificial snow over ice sheet, not great. Will try LesC tomorrow
snow report
Have been in LesC for last couple of days. Still skiable down to the village but getting patchy and very icy tonight, with a few stones coming through.
Snow up top is pretty good, a few icy patches coming through in places but good cover and mainly pretty good for hardpack. Carparks busy but pistes feel remarkably quiet, which with the sunshine, is making for some great skiing! Forecast suggests the weather's going to be lovely but the snow conditions are going to get worse over next few days.
Was going to try StG over the weekend but maybe not now, sounds like it may be better where we are!
ski holidays
I've been following your thread guys, for the last few days.
I'm like everyone else in the SnowHeads ... thinking and fretting and pondering and checking and... and...
Anyway, the conditions don't seem that loverly at the moment .. I hope it improves for you soon.
More important ... I hope condition improve by the time I get there in February with the family.

It seems I've broken into a little enclave of you St Gervais regulars.
I feel a bit shy now ... like some lone stranger listening in on conversation in his own language while riding the chair lift.

Anyway, I'll drop in on your thread now and again, checking the weather.
I'll probably have lots of questions nearer the time. All the usual stuff ... where is this and what times that etc.

Be seeing you!
snow conditions
I'm another one listening in on the virtual chairlift - heading to St Gervais in mid/late January and hoping we get a bit more low level snow and colder temperatures before then. The forecast isn't without hope, so I'm not concerned quite yet. Will snowmaking be stepped up a notch if colder (but still dry) weather arrives as forecast? And will that be a significant help with conditions? Or is it the areas without snowmaking which are struggling?

On the plus side, we can make day trips to Les Contamines which seems like it's doing as well as much of the NW Alps. As for the rest of the EMB - could be worse, still a fair number of pistes open.

May also slot in a few hours at Cordon on arrival day with the cheaper half day pass if things improve.

It's a lovely corner of the Alps, as previous trips to the Espace Diamant and Grand Massif have confirmed!
snow conditions
The band of mist has been sitting between 800 & 900 for 3 days, so not nice in the village
ski holidays
@denfinella, good luck with your Cordon plan. I went to Megeve today and the road from StG to Megeve is closed for repair and the diversion is via Sallanche, it was a busy route
ski holidays
Saint Gervais/Megeve today. The weather was OK, cloudy this morning, some sunshine this afternoon.
That was the highpoint of the day. Otherwise, one of the worst days I have had skiing.
The snow, what little is left, is rapidly disappearing. Lots of earth and grass showing through, and ice patches inbetween. Early morning had a couple of good runs on a nicely groomed and empty Etudiants. All downhill from there... rolling eyes
Mount Joly lifts closed mid morning due to wind. Very bare down at St Nicholas.
Headed over to Megeve before lunch, got as far as the bottom of Petite Fontaine (after a couple of half decent, though hard and icy patches, on Alpette) just as that closed. And that was Megeve closed for the rest of the day I think. Had to walk down to Caboche and that was closed too.
So back across to St Gervais to huge queues pretty much everywhere, and crappy snow.
I'd estimate half the runs are closed, and looks like it will not get better - no snow forecast for the next several days...good for the sun tan though Very Happy
ski holidays
I never even bothered today but heard the same from neighbors.
I will admit I’m lucky in that this is the 1st of 6 trips to StG I have planned for this year & this one was all about wife’s big birthday, so skiing was always going to take second place but if it’s your only trip of the year, I would not be rushing back.
I suppose that’s the risk you take to stay in a non soulless resort.
On a side note, took wife over to Megeve today for her birthday present. I always knew it was a money place but today really showed it, I’ve never seen so many Porsche and Range Rocers in one place
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jonny996, thanks for the warning about the road closure. Google suggests it'll reopen on Jan 4th - any idea if that's correct? If it's still closed in 3 weeks time that will scupper our plans a bit... not least because we've booked ski hire in Combloux (cheaper)!

Does sound a bit disappointing at the moment. Hope things improve.
snow report
We've been coming to St Gervais for around ten years. Some years December is great, some years it's dire. I'm lurking in our apartment unable to ski as I've just had an arm repaired but it doesn't sound like I'm missing much. My wife and daughter are making the best of what's here.

I'll be fit to ski again when we're back in February - it's usually fine at that time. Hopefully!
ski holidays
@Snow Monkey, the conditions must be easing your frustration, cannot even stare at the view with this fog.
Anyone been up to LesC last couple of days, is it worth it? Or are queues massive with everyone going up there
ski holidays
Meanwhile, up the road, most pistes open in Les Saisies which, as usual, has the best snow for miles around. But it'll be very crowded with folk being bussed in.
snow conditions
Just back from Les Contamines, and considering the lack of snow in the past week or so we managed to get some fantastic skiing in with minimal queuing.
snow conditions
Went back up to LesC today. Hard and icy but plenty of snow cover. Everything open, even Grevettaz which has been closed until today I think. Skied down to village this evening, a few stones showing through in places lower down. Not too crowded at all (nothing like yesterday!), a really nice day, with a bit of a tan starting! Several very pleasant and empty runs down this morning, a little busier as the day went on.
ski holidays
Nice to hear Les C is holding up, will head up there tomorrow. Saint Gervais taken a battering last 2 days, getting very thin everywhere, the St Nic de V side awful. The runs around Arbois aren't too bad though considering. Hopefully they'll top it all up with some man-made stuff when the temps drop Weds/Thurs..
latest report
Terrible at Les Contamines today, truly awful, don't go there this week, steer well clear....

Not.

Unbelievable that Les C and St. G are on more or less the same mountain. Amazing conditions up there given the challenges everywhere else. Pistes hard but not icy, plenty of coverage, everything open. A great day on the snow today!
ski holidays
The top east facing area in Les Contained has some of the most reliable snow in the area. A friend with an apartment in Chamonix told me they would head to Les C when lots of Chamonix skiing was threadbare.
ski holidays
Wot jma said!

Wonderful day at LesC today. Blue skies and remarkably uncrowded - felt much quieter than yesterday.

It is strange standing at the top of Veleray looking down at the grass and mud in Megeve/StG, then turn around and see plenty of snow on LesC side.

Still quite skiable down to the village.

I think the Col lift broke down late afternoon though (or something happened) - the whole Hauteluce side was shut down around 3pm. Hope they sort it for tomorrow.
ski holidays
Agreed, LesC was great today. Snow is holding up very well although there was a bit of ice around to keep you on your toes. TSD Col was out of service later in the day, we arrived at it around 3pm so had to join the enormous queue for the Choton drag lift (which lifted me clean off the ground several times) then the Plan drag lift, got back to Signal around 5pm. The setting sun made the mountains look very pretty in the pink light...but we were glad to get down as it was dark by the time we got to the car. Still, a lovely day nevertheless.
ski holidays
Les C yesterday was a bit grim - whiteout for most of morning & over lunch, no sun on pistes meant they stayed very hard and it was very cold. The Col chair was closed all day too so the only potentially sunny slopes were closed. Col chair was apparently fixed overnight last night and was being tested this morning but with temps so low, and the top lifts already closed or slowed due to wind this morning we stayed in St. Gervais today. They've done a pretty good job of keeping enough open to have a decent day. Even found some nice softish bumps - in between the pistes to the left as you go up the mont joux detachable chair - whereas the area to the right (again, as you go up - with small clutch of trees) was horrible & frozen solid - weird! The steep face off Epaule, whilst challenging, wasn't hideous either and the greens and blues around Mont Rosset and Ideal chairs were cruising nicely. Didn't go down St. Nic de V side as it looked and sounded nasty for any that did.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy