Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nonstop Helli ski camp

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Has anyone been on a holiday with Nonstop ski & snowboard
I'm looking at the Safari or Ready to Helli ski camp?
Looking for reviews
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was out in Fernie the first couple of years when Nostop were just getting started - they had the pick of ski school instructors and the customers clearly had a great time but seemed to be paying a lot of money compared to those that were DIYing it. So I think you'll have a great time but I think also you are paying for it all laid on.

Just checked the prices and they seem to be in line with my expectation i.e. you can do far more for the money if you want.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What he said.

I've not heard anything bad, but it's an expensive approach. Their "heli camp" gives 2 weeks resort instruction plus one cat day and one 3-run heli day. For that money you could buy a 5-day all-inclusive unlimited vertical heli package at a major operator in the low season. You could expect to get 10 or more runs a day from that. Operators do cater for first-timers, with lead and tail guides being also instructor qualified. You can check RK's heli prices directly.

I suppose it could be seen as a way to reduce the "I simply can't turn in this snow" risk for first-timers. A more common approach to that is to take a Cat day somewhere. Most people who do that find that they can manage; some take a few runs to get it. Although they're not ski schools, cat operator staff are also typically ski-instructor trained and will help newbies.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes. I've spoken to them on the phone today and they offer the basic All Mountain Development course for 1-2- 3-6 weeks. You can then bolt on Helli and cat skiing if you want.
For me it's about getting more experience of skiing the proverbial Steep and Deep in mythical Powder. I'm also a Solo traveller.
When you brake it down, what there offering is on par with other operators.
If I'm honest I'd quite like to go out on my own DIY and see what happens. I know on Red mountain you can get a $10 ride up the mountain in a Cat.
This will be my 3rd trip to Canada. Last time with SCGB. I'm classed as an Advanced off piest skier but have limited deep powder experience though did do the
SCGB 'learn to ski Powder ' course in actual Powder.
All advice greatfully receved.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Most of your time in Fernie won't be legendary powder and some of the time it is it may be so dangerous that interesting stuff is closed. Also it's low enough that once a winter rain from top to bottom will proper feck things. But it's a great place where developing the local knowledge of the nooks and crannies really pays off.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
LeglesWonder,

Why not try cat skiing in Canada instead? It's a fraction of the price of heli. We've been 5 or 6 times and have always had untracked powder (but not always waist deep). However, we've never been disappointed with the snow.

I'd recommend Fernie Wilderness Adventures, K3 Cat Skiing, Monashee Powder and Mustang Powder. We'd go back to any of those operators as they were all excellent- though the packages (& prices) vary substantially from 1 day trips to 4 days/nights in a fantastic wilderness lodge.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@LeglesWonder,

BC resorts, in my limited experience of 3 trips (twice a 3 day in Whistler prior to a weeks heli, 3 days KH prior to weeks heli then week in Revvie) don’t suggest to me that the snow is guaranteed powder.

So a ready to heli course is a nonsense. If you can’t cope they just put you on fatter skis till you can. (My first heli day was on giant slalom race skis. A little tiring.)

And there are very many cheaper ways to learn ski agricole.

You pays yer money, ye takes yer choice...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Agreed. Thus the reference to mythical Powder.
On my last trip to Alberta we were there for 2 weeks with very little top up snow.
I've had a heliskiing day in Zermatt. I've had a days lesson flying a helicopter and solo sky dived in the UK so not mesmerised by the heliskiing experience.
I'm looking for more experience on very steep and hopefully deeper snow off piest.. Going on my own. You need to buddy up so exploring the options
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@LeglesWonder, pm K, she flew their heli trip last winter, I went on their improver course. They're not cheap but excellent tuition. I'd echo going cat skiing as the first choice, better price = more runs. As for Fernie . . . you do get a WTF Shocked have I done coming here, the resort is a bit unforgiving* in poor conditions and is a real test of fitness and skills even with sweet snow. I'll be there for the season 19/20, can't wait Smile p

* bleedin' lethal . . . Take 2 pairs of skis, one for the soft stuff and one for rained on frozen to 3 inches depth grey ice corduroy (never slid on anything as vile Evil or Very Mad )
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sound's great
Thanks
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
wink Revelstoke is the same in that respect, although it's in a better place for the snow.

In 30-odd seasons in BC I've always had excellent powder... I pay me money and get in the heli. You can't compare it with European heli, although I realize why you mention that.

First timers are unlikely to get into the steeper stuff - even if you can ride it, the operator can't take the risk that any of the groups may not be up to it. Deep forest is the same. That said, if you want steeps AK would be a better bet; dry powder and steeps can create a cocktail you have to avoid.

I have a very large amount of heli vertical, but when I'm in Whistler I mostly ride the cats. You just get more vertical in resort-based cats than you do in resort-based heli.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@philwig, I think you’ve either been unfairly lucky or had the freedom to pick your locations.

A chum who helis annually managed two weeks 2 years ago on hardpack out of two lodges. Shock

Not a happy bunny.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ouch. I'm picky, although the harder I try the luckier I get;-)

I would not be happy with that either - they ought to shut down/ refund in those circumstances. I think CMH do shut down when the run out of fresh (it happens). Wiegele's has sufficient terrain that I've never known them come remotely close to that. What does happen is that they have to fly further and further if the "reset button" doesn't get hit, increasing your flight time and reducing their profit margin.

The worst I have encountered would be is poor stability (so expect whining Germanic people because they can't ride steep); poor coverage low down (expect shorter runs); or paradoxically so much snow that penetration on the safe slopes is marginal.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Clearly the Exclusive Heliskiing lodges are the top end solution and look amazing.
I just want to be the best I can be to enjoy whatever conditions are available for as long as possible with my available funds.
This course is two weeks with top instructors 4 days a week 5 hrs a day board and lodging single room, transfer, £3008 for 15 days , option to Cat ski for £300 and 3 drops in a Heli for an additional £755.£95 extra drops
I think it's on par with most SCGB prices or Warren Smith ect.
You can do 1 week or 6
ski holidays
Just checked £555. For 3 drops. So standard rate.
snow conditions
@philwig, Thanks for your advise. It sounds like you're determined to get the best out of your skiing. I hear that!!
latest report
Nonstop are a reputable agency. Agree with others that the cost is very high compared to what you can get DIY. Fwiw my 2 months in BC this year including international flights will be around £3k - for which you are getting 15 days and I'm guessing no international flights.

If you want steeps Heli skiing is usually not the best choice, and as said above Alaska would be the preferred destination.

If you're an "advanced off-piste" rider I don't really understand why you would need so much tuition? Of course you want a few powder days to get used to the deeper stuff - but they can't really guarantee that, so what are they teaching you in all those hours? (I'm definitely not against general tuition or using a guide to get the most out of in bounds terrain, but it seems overkill and very reliant on fresh snow - which often shuts down a lot of fernie). If they were including avy training and backcountry days/touring it would make more sense.
latest report
[/quote][quote]
Thanks for your comments. I wanted more practical experience on steeps. I can get down anything . I call it the Eric Morecombe school of skiing.
I play all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order.
I've looked at other Steep courses but all want you to be Expert level, previous use of ice axes ect.
I'm going on the SCGD Mountain Craft course in December.
How did you spend your two months in BC?
I'd be keen on any solo travel /ski tips.
All the group trips, instructed, guided or lead are all expensive
£1500per week is standard.
snow report
When you say steeps are you talking steep but regularly skied (i.e. couloir extreme at whistler) or extreme steeps/ski mountaineering stuff (i.e. Mallory couloir in cham)?

Improving steeps is not really necessary for Heli ski. Unless you know the guide and can fill a helicopter with high ability skiers the odds off you going anywhere *really* steep is unlikely. To be honest I don't think the nonstop course is really aimed at improving steeps anyway.

A lot of steeps is confidence. I did a season at kicking horse which is known for steeps and chutes. By the end of the season it was just normal to ride steeper stuff so confidence is higher. Of course this is reliant on you having decent technique to begin. Although if we are talking inbounds steeps a few days with a regular guide 1:1 lesson should be enough providing you have a decent base to begin with. Of course more lessons are better, but it's not always realistic/feasible.

For BC I buy a season pass for a single resort as early as possible for the best price. Then I stay in a hostel - which as a solo person is a good way to meet others to ride with. It's not luxurious and if I had the money I would do it differently (taking in multiple resorts and private accommodation) but I'm happy to sacrifice for more ski days.
snow report
I have happily skied regularly skied steeps and double black diamonds over the past two years.
Didn't Do couloir extreme but would now, did ski spankeys ladder.
Tres Hombres in Jasper. Goats Eye in Sunshine. I would have skied Delirium Dive but no one in my group wanted to give it a go
Skied all the steps in the black group with ski friends at Banff. Skied under the bin on the Grand Montet in Chamonix. ect
I guess I have confidence but lack experience, late to skiing and don't have anyone to go with.
I do like your approach and would definitely consider it
latest report
If you skied all that stuff reasonably well (controlled turns - not side slipping the whole thing) you probably have decent steep doing skills. Would perhaps benefit more from additional time on snow with a bit of coaching then an intensive 2 weeks of just coaching - it's amazing how much people with a solid base improve with a month or 2 solid skiing most days. Of course it depends some what on your expectations and final goals too.
snow conditions
Cheers. Yes I can get down in a controlled manner on skied train.
So that's why I wanted a ski camp with two weeks to hone my skills.
Then on to Alaska or Chilie NZ ect.
If you look at what's on offer , to join a group, they all want you to be Expert level. That's we're I'm heading.
I've found other courses I've been on helpful. Now I want to be pushed.
Nonstop will do that I think.
Still weighing up my opinions.
I'd imagine when you go out on your own it's an advantage to be able to ski Anything Anywhere. With Anybody willing for you to join them.
That's the goal.
Next year I'll be off to NZ or South America for the Summer
ski holidays
I don't know if nonstop are doing that. Something like Extremely canadian at whistler or steep and deep camp at Jackson hole might be better. The trouble is as soon as you get into these kind of things they assume you know what you are doing and it's less focused on tuition than pushing you and giving a few pointers as you go.
snow report
Exactly my point..
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy