Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Blue Skis and Boots or Red??

Poster: A snowHead
Is there that much of a difference in terms of quality? what more will I get out of the Red if I choose these? there is around a £30 difference
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It all depends on your skiing ability. The better you are, the better skis you should get if you have the cash. Having top skis won't help if you're a beginner.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
if you mostly ski reds then get reds.
if you mostly ski blues get blues.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have used Blues for my last 2 trips and will use Reds on my next. Using Inhgams Ski Tuition reference I am between Intermediate 2 and Advanced 3, confident on Reds but need to work on Blacks a lot!

Beginner: Never Skied

Intermediate Level 1: Skied 1-2 week, snow ploughing on green or blue runs, progressing to early parallel skiing

Intermediate Level 2: Parallel turns, easy on blue runs, less confident on reds

Advance level 3: Skiing parallel on all slopes, looking to improve technique on black runs and off piste
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have a look at the Inside Out scale, it provides a bit more detail.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No such thing as a blue ski or a red ski. I thought the accepted orthodoxy was that they are often the same kit - just ther blue stock likely to be older and had more wear and tear. The quality of the tune on the skis at that level matters more than the specific ski assuming modern reasonable skis. To be honest i'd go more expensive as at least you can make more of a fuss when they give you something with totally blunt edges.

BTW where is it that people come across all these black pistes - I rarely find them?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Dave of the Marmottes, "..BTW where is it that people come across all these black pistes - I rarely find them? ….."

its because you haven't hired the black skis...…..!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
To be fair I don't really go looking but I can think of only one or 2 runs per resort that might warrant the label black while groomed. So I find the concept of a black run piste skier fundamentally flawed (unlike say N America where skiing double BD probably means you are a reasonable handy and versatile skier as they are usually unpisted (or unpistable) and can be pretty spicy in the West)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can someone enlighten me here. Are we saying you can hire skis based on whether you ski blue pistes or red pistes?

Sounds a bonkers idea...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The grading of pistes is imprecise and is heavily distorted by conditions on the day.

Black pistes worthy of the name that spring to mind are Tunnel and La Face in ADH, Aggy Rouge in Les Arcs, the blacks above Aime La Plagne, Suisses in Courcheval.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Layne, Nah it's just a hierarchy imposed by the rental cos like Bronze, Gold, Silver, Platinum. Problem is as there are no defined standards for various categories shops can broadly do what they wish and I'm sure it's quite possible that a "Double black" ski can be a "blue" ski once its had enough wear and tear.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Layne wrote:
Can someone enlighten me here. Are we saying you can hire skis based on whether you ski blue pistes or red pistes?

Sounds a bonkers idea...
not just me, then. Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Layne wrote:
The grading of pistes is imprecise and is heavily distorted by conditions on the day.

Black pistes worthy of the name that spring to mind are Tunnel and La Face in ADH, Aggy Rouge in Les Arcs, the blacks above Aime La Plagne, Suisses in Courcheval.

Ah so bump runs for ADH. Last time I skied Suisses I actually did a few laps and found it largely unremarkable. Mind you it was a late spring day and raining so I had it to myself and conditions were far from the icy polish I imagine it sometimes gets.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I thought it was the colour. Like cars of the same spec.. Red skis will make you ski faster (albeit slightly out of control) but everyone will think you are a pr1ck. Happy

Off course that means you may have to have matching clothes and I think Blue looks better, unless you are @PrincessArabba in the old Ski Instructor Red kit Happy

A really good skier is @PaulC1984 AKA Papa Smurf.

Blue ski clothes, yellow ski boots but blue liners, blue Kaestle or blue Head skis. He likes the Kaestle but I think he really prefers Head.............. as a brand.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That explains it! One pair of skis are shades of blue with an orange stripe, the other mostly red with small stripes of green, blue and white. Ski completely differently depending on how listed and firm the ground is.
My old ones were yellow and black. Did much more adventurous things on them.
Very Happy
snow report
Thought you were asking if blue-coloured skis or red-coloured skis were better for a moment! Laughing

Must admit that my partner and I always go for the cheapest range, and we've always been perfectly happy with them (you can still ask to swap a pair of skis or boots if you don't like them). We ski all grades of piste. There can be quite a cost saving to be made too - typically £50/wk for the bottom range, versus £100+ for the top.
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, not sure where you are coming from or going to with this?

You asked where are all the black pistes but then that seemed to change to where are all the black pistes that meet your definition of a black piste.

Isn't double BD a bra size?
snow conditions
A very topical thread this ...

I had a pair of boots in 1990 they were a pair of Salomon SX92 "rear entry" boots.
Black bits but mostly White.

I got them second hand, I cant remember where from.
I gave them away to a friend of mine in 1993 and he has used them for several years
But he told me yesterday he has given the away to someone who was very grateful and is still using them.

I think it's amazing that they have lasted so well ... I would have expected the plastic to break down after a few years.

But is anyone else still using vintage plastic boots?
snow report
Layne wrote:

Sounds a bonkers idea...

I thought it was so people have an idea what to rent.
Lots of package holidays list them as blue, red, black.

Rather than beginner, intermediate, advanced.

Of bronze, silver, gold, etc.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 6-08-18 17:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
To be fair I don't really go looking but I can think of only one or 2 runs per resort that might warrant the label black while groomed. .....

There is one in Killington. They hook the piste basher up to a cable and tow it up because it is too steep for a piste basher. Then it rains and gets down to -20 later. If I ever ski it again I'm taking a parachute.
snow conditions
Thornyhill wrote:
To be fair I don't really go looking but I can think of only one or 2 runs per resort that might warrant the label black while groomed. .....

There is one in Killington. They hook the piste basher up to a cable and tow it up because it is too steep for a piste basher. Then it rains and gets down to -20 later. If I ever ski it again I'm taking a parachute.

I've a photo somewhere of me at the top of that just before going down it. Sign said xxx Expert skiers only (x= diamond shape). I found it relatively easy, and whilst not a great skier now, I was even less so on 2003!!
ski holidays
@martinm, depends when you ski it. Warmish night and freshly bashed it is a nice run. Bit of rain and a proper Killington cold you would be better with ice skates (and a parachute obviously). Think it is called something like Skyfall.
latest report
Layne wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, not sure where you are coming from or going to with this?

You asked where are all the black pistes but then that seemed to change to where are all the black pistes that meet your definition of a black piste.

Nowhere in particular - you confirmed some runs which you considered legit blacks and I'd probably agree in average conditions. I hapened to get Suisses when it was totally empty and very soft so it was pretty easy. Which I imagine isn't really the peak time experience.
snow conditions
Mr.Egg wrote:
This^

...is completely wrong - do not follow this advice.
latest report
admin wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
This^

So if you mostly ski blues get reds and if you mostly ski reds get blues? snowHead snowHead
snow report
This thread is making my brain hurt.
snow conditions
The most important thing to remember is that
God punishes you if you are not coordinated.
ski holidays
Considering your wardrobe choices @DrLawn, you're in for a serious punishment session!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
U are a very bad snowHead @Thornyhill Evil or Very Mad

The gradings of ski in hire shops tend to relate most closely to the value of the kit. Beginners' skis do tend to cost less and so be in the lower categories, and expert skis do tend to cost more so be further up the ranks however, you might, for example, find brand new beginners skis in a Silver/Blue category while last year's beginners and some intermediates from a couple of years back are in the Bronze/Green category. Meanwhile, one shop's 'Gold' is another shop's 'Diamond', while the shop down the road calls them 'Platinum' or 'Black' or 'Expert' or 'Superbe'... U get the picture Wink And all this is assuming that the guy who happens to serve you is clear on which skis are in which category anyway. I once saw a shop serve up the exact same model of ski to 3 different people who had each booked different categories through Skiset (who are evil btw.)
snow report
admin wrote:
Considering your wardrobe choices @DrLawn, you're in for a serious punishment session!
Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
God is punishing me already ...
8 weeks now and we can do any work ...
Lord only knows how I'm going to afford to go skiing this winter.

I feel its a bit cooler tonight as I sit out in the garden with laptop...
Summers are a great time to start thinking about skiing.
But lets admit it we are all a bit odd bleating about skiing when its +29C
But I feel I'm amongst friends Little Angel

At the moment I'm praying for rain, but later I will be praying for snow.
snow report
admin wrote:
U are a very bad snowHead @Thornyhill Evil or Very Mad

U knU that already BaUdmin. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Thornyhill wrote:
@martinm, depends when you ski it. Warmish night and freshly bashed it is a nice run. Bit of rain and a proper Killington cold you would be better with ice skates (and a parachute obviously). Think it is called something like Skyfall.

Certainly wasn't warm!! Every morning the news had frostbite warnings (20-30mins usually, before you went up and down a mountain.) It was f....king cold snowHead

Plenty of ice around too.

Not a place I'd go back to TBH.
ski holidays
@martinm, I'd go back just for the brekkies in Killington Inn. Blueberry muffins with maple syrup. To die for.

Never experienced cold like that in Europe. You know it is a bit chilly when they have people checking for exposed flesh as you leave the boot room.
latest report
DrLawn wrote:
A very topical thread this ...

I had a pair of boots in 1990 they were a pair of Salomon SX92 "rear entry" boots.
Black bits but mostly White.

I got them second hand, I cant remember where from.
I gave them away to a friend of mine in 1993 and he has used them for several years
But he told me yesterday he has given the away to someone who was very grateful and is still using them.

I think it's amazing that they have lasted so well ... I would have expected the plastic to break down after a few years.

But is anyone else still using vintage plastic boots?

My mate had some of those for a long time too. His were red and white though because he skied red runs of white snow only* **

* That is a lie.

** But not the bit abouy my mate having the boots for a long time - that bit is true.
snow conditions
Mr.Egg wrote:
Layne wrote:

Sounds a bonkers idea...

Well, it's a stupid idea.

Mr.Egg wrote:

Haven't taken a package holiday or hired skis for a long time so was ignorant of this practice until I saw this thread.

Mr.Egg wrote:

This categorisation seems far more sensible to me.

Mr.Egg wrote:

Is this for Olympic hopefuls?
snow conditions
Layne wrote:

Nowhere in particular - you confirmed some runs which you considered legit blacks and I'd probably agree in average conditions. I hapened to get Suisses when it was totally empty and very soft so it was pretty easy. Which I imagine isn't really the peak time experience.

My second ski trip we were going up the lift and saw someone bounce down the Suisse moguls on their back like a rag doll. It looked very painful, almost live threatening tbh. My mate who was more experienced than me said that is why you have to be very careful either not to fall or self arrest very quickly. But it is true much of it is down to conditions. I took a friend (intermdiate ish) down Tunnel in ADH and they were chuffed to do it and found it relatively straightforward. But that was partly down to me knowing that late morning after a bit of sun on it and not too busy would be the ideal time. Above Les Coches there are a couple of shortish, challenging but nice blacks. End of March just gone we skied them a lot. Also Jockeys above Le Praz in 3V. I don't see the point of near vertical walls as pistes but a good 35 twisty black piste can be a delight.
snow report
Layne wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
Layne wrote:

Sounds a bonkers idea...

Well, it's a stupid idea.

Mr.Egg wrote:

Haven't taken a package holiday or hired skis for a long time so was ignorant of this practice until I saw this thread.

Mr.Egg wrote:

This categorisation seems far more sensible to me.

Mr.Egg wrote:

Is this for Olympic hopefuls?

i)Sport 2000 rent out on a Blue / Red / Black grading
ii)You get a beginner who think they are better than what they are. Or fancy a certain pair of ski's because of the colour/design.

iii)Its a marketing ploy.

One of our group decided to get Superior graded ski's last year against everyones advice who have seen them ski the last few years (red runs). 1st day- knee popped. Holiday over.
Shop grading system is Economy, Premium, Superior.
Differences in Age, Brand & even down to how the ski's are prepared & what wax is used all play a factor.

As a snowboarder, there is a big difference in the various boards labelled Blue/Red/Black.
Not only in age, brand or how they are prepped. Each board will perform differently.
snow report
admin wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
This^

its exactly how they are marketed
Even have slope colours to the right
go do a dummy booking
https://www.intersport-rent.fr/en/rent/page/pack.aspx
ski holidays
Surely skis are like cars - the red ones are fastest!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy