Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

London's Telegraph Ski Show ... re-branded

Poster: A snowHead
... as 'The Telegraph Ski and Snowboard Festival'

https://www.snowindustrynews.com/articles/45th-london-ski-show-becomes-telegraph-s-alpine-festival

Dates: 25-28 October, Battersea Evolution, Battersea Park

Free Tickets
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A good move.

'Festival' is the buzzword of the moment and more accurately describes the offering.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Comes with a bit of pressure to actually have a line up of music that people would pay to see in its own right though shirley?

I'm obviously highly cynical about the Ski show as it's worth has declined. Wouldn't be surprised if the end game is a "alpine street food festival" where you pay a ridiculous amount to get in and eat overpriced tartiflette and currywurst in the rain.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Comes with a bit of pressure to actually have a line up of music that people would pay to see in its own right though shirley?

I'm obviously highly cynical about the Ski show as it's worth has declined. Wouldn't be surprised if the end game is a "alpine street food festival" where you pay a ridiculous amount to get in and eat overpriced tartiflette and currywurst in the rain.

I fear it's not for you or many like you who get plenty of the real thing.

But for Londoners looking for a different day/night out it certainly fits the bill.

And for out-of-towners you can easily recoup the cost of admission in freebies, sign ups and savings. Easily.

It's on an upward trajectory which can only be a good thing IMHO.

And if I was a Neilsen, Inghams, Crystal or the like I would definitely be holding interviews for seasonal workers at the same venue over the course of the festival.

There's plenty wrong with the format - Press Day being my biggest bugbear - but they're trying to make it relevant, contemporary and value for money.

It would be a real shame if it finished and customers didn't have the opportunity to speak with real people working in the industry.

And no I don't work for the Telegraph but have reperesented companies and destinations at the show over the years.

And have also been a customer and received invaluable information on out of the way destinations which has resulted in great holidays e.g. Gudauri, Georgia
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Used to go most years when it was accessible. Battersea is a PITA for tube and decent overground connections unlike Olympia and Earls Court. I see that re positioning as an "experience" is the only way it ultimately survives but I'd far rather have a couple of hours in a snowdome or on a dry slope if I wanted an experience like going skiing.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Used to go most years when it was accessible. Battersea is a PITA for tube and decent overground connections unlike Olympia and Earls Court. I see that re positioning as an "experience" is the only way it ultimately survives but I'd far rather have a couple of hours in a snowdome or on a dry slope if I wanted an experience like going skiing.

As I suspected above, it's not for you.

And for most a ski holiday should be written holiday ski.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 2-08-18 11:51; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Dave of the Marmottes, the past few years Hemel have offered a free hours ski if you go and collect a voucher from them. Two birds, one stone.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I thought the early bird pricing was quite reasonable, and unlike previous years I'll probably put my hand in my pocket instead of trying to blag free entry.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sounds OK...I would like to see Marcus Brigstocke but it doesn't say which day he is on so not likely to buy a ticket in case its the wrong day.

edit: moot point -I am away
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mike Pow wrote:
And for most a ski holiday should be written holiday ski.

Neither actually, since ski and holiday are both nouns. But I don't know what you are getting at.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
He's suggesting for most punters a ski holiday is first and foremost a holiday where skiing is just one of the things they do e.g. besides eating out, nice lunches on the terrace, banging apres, banging after apres (while the kids are still in creche), chill in the pool, let the kids sledge or build snowmen etc. These are "people who ski". We of course as "skiers" are different.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bizarre! I was part way thru reading this thread when I stopped to watch my dog eating my dinner scraps. I looked back down at my IPad to see that I had accidentally clicked on @dogwatch and was about to send them a blank message!

Cannot make it up! Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
He's suggesting for most punters a ski holiday is first and foremost a holiday where skiing is just one of the things they do e.g. besides eating out, nice lunches on the terrace, banging apres, banging after apres (while the kids are still in creche), chill in the pool, let the kids sledge or build snowmen etc. These are "people who ski". We of course as "skiers" are different.

Spot on
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh dear, I'm a person who skis then. That's put me in my place.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dogwatch wrote:

Not at all.

When I go on holiday to the snow the skiing is part of my overall holiday.

And the majority of people attending the Telegraph show /festival are the same.
ski holidays
dogwatch wrote:

Nothing to be ashamed of. Even the most committed skiers become people who ski at times of the day or week
ski holidays
dogwatch wrote:

Absolutely nothing wrong with that.
ski holidays
dogwatch wrote:

As opposed to a skier who's a person Laughing
latest report
Not quite Jeremy Paxman, but there is an interview with the show organiser on the latest episode of The Ski Podcast:
http://theskipodcast.com/podcast/e19-new-lifts-in-val-disere-london-ski-show-hiring-ski-clothing/

Apparently there is a famous duo coming but name still under wraps...
latest report
Let's hope it wasn't the Chuckle Brothers. Fingers crossed for Jedward.
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, Laughing
ski holidays
I too had become deeply cynical about the ski show as the last time I went-in 2014- it was a shadow of it's former self. However, that year we both entered the Telegraph prize draw and Mr P won a week's chalet holiday for 6 (albeit in April) in Verbs. Sod's law meant I had to work so couldn't go.
At the same show Mr P Junior, then a spotty 18 year old, got his first instructor job in Japan and hasn't looked back since! (currently in Treble Cone NZ, coaching free ride and also doing some filming-lucky sod!).
By October, I am gagging for anything snow related, so who knows, we may go for a laugh.
snow conditions
It does look fun, it's just a bit of a pain to get to (and get home from). I guess we could make a weekend of it and stay up in London, but my OH isn't really into skiing so would be bored!!
snow conditions
@HoneyBunny, If you did stay there's the Pestana Chelsea Hotel practically opposite who do good weekend deals. There are 137, 452 and 44 bus routes by the park and Sloane Square tube only an 8 minute walk, plus a new riverboat service. Great places to eat in the Power Station development.
latest report
Stil, not overly expensive for a family ticket for a day (if you are not traveling far) with its activities etc.

We are going on the Saturday, anyone else?
ski holidays
Swissie wrote:
@HoneyBunny, If you did stay there's the Pestana Chelsea Hotel practically opposite who do good weekend deals. There are 137, 452 and 44 bus routes by the park and Sloane Square tube only an 8 minute walk, plus a new riverboat service. Great places to eat in the Power Station development.

I'd be up for a bit of that!. I went last year for the 1st time. Left early to get the train down from the Midlands, to find that the train was a bus to Luton Parkway. So decided to drive down. Stuck on the motorway. So undeterred. I got off the motorway, got a slow train to London. Cab across the city. I arrived with an hour and a half to the end of the show on a Sunday,. Quite disappointed by what remained of the event. Yes it was raining Yes I had dodgy Alpine fare for my tea.
So determined to give it my full attention this year and go the night before with Mrs LW, who true to form isn't interested in Skiing at all but does enjoy a cultural trip to the Capital. Sarchi Gallery near by and a night out in the West end. Fingers crossed for 2nd time lucky
snow conditions
@LeglesWonder, And a wonderful food market at Duke of York Yard (where the Saatchi Gallery is) on Saturdays for Mrs LW, plus great shops......sorry Very Happy ,
ski holidays
@LeglesWonder, And a wonderful market at Duke of York Square (where te Saatchi Gallery is) on Saturdays for Mrs LW.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 30-08-18 13:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We went on Sunday last year and found things were winding down before the official end time, food stopped, retailers closing and leaving to get out of London. Probably natural after 4 days.

Thats part of the reason we are going on Saturday this year.
latest report
Agreed. But highly annoying and should not be allowed. Mrs LW is a Potter and has been at many events and isn't allowed to pack up until it's Finnished.
ski holidays
Well I am somewhat sympathetic to both views. A pain when you are paying to go but I understand that a lot come from outside London and have been there for four days over school holidays when I imagine some have kids that they might want to see. Maybe they should change the Sunday finish time to better manage expectations. The slope show went on until the end though and I think you could still get a drink.
snow report
@ster, maybe people who have booked stands should honour their contractual commitments to the paying public. If wanting to see their kids takes precedence over that they are in the wrong business. They know their travelling time when they book the stand
snow conditions
Massive bugbear of mine. Bad management. Pure and simple.

When I had my own stand / represented other companies I purposely stayed to the end.

Why wouldn't you? I was there to sell / promote. Can't do that if I'm not there.

Anyone who leaves early has money to burn IMHO.

And the 'press day'.

If there was an interested member of the public at the stand the same time as a journalist I would respectfully ask the journalist to wait a moment.

If they didn't that spoke volumes about the journalist and reinforced whether I would advertise with / recommend their publication.

They are not gods.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 30-08-18 18:39; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Not just last day. I remember going after work on a Thursday a couple of times and you really needed to get round the stands you were interested in in the first hour before the staff buggered off to other stands or the pub to drink with their mates (despite there being 2 hours opening left)
ski holidays
before the staff buggered off to other stands or the pub to drink with their mates

At least a better reason that seeing the kids!

Not defending the practice but understand why it happens on the Sunday. Also can't say I know what the contractual arrangements are and what they entail. I would have thought the organisers would do something about it (if they were still on-site themselves) as not great for their customers.
latest report
ster wrote:

Not defending the practice but understand why it happens on the Sunday. Also can't say I know what the contractual arrangements are and what they entail. I would have thought the organisers would do something about it (if they were still on-site themselves) as not great for their customers.

I think you have to realise what the "public show" racket entails. Organisers book a venue and incur overhead - they then try to maximise revenues from exhibitors and the public. Too few public and exhibitors will be hacked off, too few exhibitors and the public will be hacked off. And as always brinksmanship rules so the "early bird ticket sales" are key to persuading exhibitors that punters will show and stopping the public waiting until the day to see what the weather's like. No-one really cares about whether the punters really get what was advertised once they are there.
latest report
Well the vagaries of life and the best laid plans ........a demanded half term trip out of London and only back late on Saturday has required a change of day for us to Sunday so definitely getting there early.

Anyone else there on Sunday?
ski holidays
There seems to be a lack of free or competition tickets around for the show which starts next week! We are looking to go on Friday and have friends who want to go Thursday (also snowHead ) so if anybody has or know of any tickets that they are not using we would be interested Laughing
latest report
Try entering 'telegraphsubscribers' in the "Enter promotional code" box wink

It adds free tickets to the menu.
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/the-telegraph-ski-snowboard-festival-2018-tickets-40028309752?invite=&err=49&referrer=&discount=&affiliate=&eventpassword=
latest report
I'll be there Thu for 'work' and Fri with the kids. I still think it's good fun for them (and it's a free half term activity for them). They're looking forward to skiing on the Chelski slope and seeing the huskis.

FWIW I contacted the organisers about competitions as have organised them for the last 18 years...this year they said they weren't going to be doing as many as in the past.

One complaint I have is that apparently Billy Morgan will be there, but AFAIK they haven't said which day. I think a lot of people would def go on the day they knew he was going, but might not bother otherwise.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy