Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chalet stereotypes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@mitcva, Guilty m'lord!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I’ve dine a small number of chalet holidays and generally they’ve been pleasant experiences. Only time when I met someone who was a bit irritating was a lady well in to her 7th decade who was just too intense and, gently, would stop talking about the places she’d skied, the tours she’d done, talked about skiing with Erna Low, the places she’d stayed, etc, etc. It was clear she wanted to ski with people in the chalet, but everyone including myself mumbled polite excuses. I happened to see her midweek on the slopes and was pleased if not volunteered to shepherd her around the pistes as she outskied me by a considerable margin. Turns out that when she talked about skiing with Erna Low it was with the female travel pioneer, not the Ski company that offer self-drive holidays.

Never judge a book by its cover.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rob@rar, that’s impressive. Sounds like the First Lift stereotype. The very first one ever on the mountain!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Jolly Ex Public Schoolboy type. Never miss an opportunity to mention their alma mater.

Turn up pissed half way through dinner and expect starters. Roll in very noisily around 4am each morning.

Lose their sense of humour when the wooden slats are all removed from their bed frames.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
While I have laughed on this thread lots of times I have done lots of chalet holidays in my time and only twice had less than conducive company so have probably done rather well. Admittedly more recent chalet parties have been with groups of friends. The heli ski lodges in Canada are socially very similar to upmarket (you always get your own bathroom) chalet parties, you sit at large tables and the menu is set, although dietary requirements can be accommodated and in chalet life is very communal and convivial. There are always one or two people you might choose to avoid at dinner but overall the whole experience is rather wonderful and its just really "grown up" chalet life, you can come alone and know you will make friends to ski with and have company when you want it and the opportunity to creep off to your room if you want to be alone. For anyone who is reading this thread and wondering about chalet life, my advice would be to give it a go but read the bumph on the chalet you intend to visit so you know exactly what you are getting ie single room with/without bath etc. after that the worlds your oyster.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The one I’ve come across each time is:
- unassuming man/woman, asks about everyone else, listens to all the stories/comments. Seems to answer any question about themselves with a brief answer and a question about you instead.
Then a chance comment on the final night reveals that they have an amazing backstory, which they rather wish they hadn’t revealed. A sneaky google later that night reveals that it’s all true and you rather wish you’d spent the week chatting to them, rather than being trapped by the other stereotypes in this thread!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jamescollings,
Know the feeling.

Years ago, had an ex-RAF officer type in my ski class. Thought nothing of it - I deal with RAF types all the time due to the company I work for. Mentioned he'd come to the site I worked on on behalf of the Company he now works for - No big deal. RAF/companies visit all the time.

Googled him when I got home. He was a "Sir", Chairman of said company and ex-President of the RAeS! Laughing

I think he liked being treated as an "ordinary" joe

Skitrack
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jamescollings - so so right!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The "singles table" - the motley collection of solos, splits from partner etc thrown together like at a wedding. Found schooling the teens in cheating at cards while mum & dad get totally blatted with the grown-ups
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Robocop - more leg brace and ninja turtleshell than human being,
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@jamescollings, 😀
Yes I had the pleasure of spending quite a lot of skiing time one week with two such unassuming, understated people.

One revealed only on the last evening, when pushed, that he was a Concorde pilot.

The other never said what she did, though it was evident she was an actor or artist of some kind. Anyway, as I got to know her better, I realised she was a regular member of the original Monty Python cast, including the films, and I never recognised her
Embarassed
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
One set of stereotypes that has not been mentioned is chalet owners. I've never complained about fellow guests, but the owners are another matter.

The bloke with no friends who has bought himself a chalet in the Alps and likes to see himself as patriarch of the chalet. He sits at the middle of the table during dinner and holds forth to the poor devils who have booked the chalet this week.

The stingy old so and so, who takes every opportunity to charge for extras. Like £30 for supper when somebody's friend who is staying in the same resort drops in and shares the pie nine ways rather than eight and has brought a bottle of wine (so the chalet has actually profited on the deal). Or, the owner who, once wine stops being free, pushes it onto 'tonight's volunteer' to pay for the next two bottles (that aren't really wanted).

The chalet that gives out free wine, but also has a wine list. That starts at £20 - on top of the wine you're not drinking - for something barely less ordinary than the free wine.

The chalet staff who have the starters on the table at 7.30, main course by 7.40 and pudding at 7.55 and you're kicked out by 8.00.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@James the Last, chalet owners and staff fit in the seasonnaire stereotypes thread - do keep up wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dave

Sorry... just stuck my nose in here to look for buttons/dates for PSB. Why is anybody on a ski forum at this time of year! Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy