Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt quick question(s)

Poster: A snowHead
As if there were ever a quick topic on snowHead s Laughing Laughing

So boys trip is Zermatt the quickies are:

Which part of town are peoples preferences for accommodation (S/C)?

If we were to opt to stay in Tasch is it easy to get to and from in the morning and after a night out on the lash.

Cheers all.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@halfhand, some years ago I stayed at the Hotel Europe which I can recommend, the staff were friendly and the food and facilities were good. Very Happy

Edit: Oops, sorry just noticed you were asking about self catering. Embarassed

2nd edit Laughing , I see that the Hotel actually has its own apartments too: https://annelis-zermatt.ch/en/

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 25-07-18 18:26; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am not sure the train runs 24 hours from Tasch, so you might be restricted by the first train up and last train down. Also, after skiing cleaning up and then going out again would be a hassle in Tasch which is quieter than Zermatt. (extra train trips)

I have only stayed in the covered car park by the train in Tasch, and the HI youth hostel. I cannot recommend that for a boys trip, as it is generally quiet and sober there.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Alastair Pink, Cheers, will have a look Very Happy

@Bigtipper, Thanks, rules out Tasch Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Train does run all through the night between Täsch and Zermatt. Switches from daytime three per hour to one per hour. Make sure you get a train ticket that covers you for however many days you are there. They don't advertise it (!) and you can only get it from ticket office not the ticket machines. It is better value than continually buying singles.

Täsch is much cheaper for hotels and is fine for that. But there is close to nothing to do - hardly even a bar - just the train station one and one in the corner in the Walliser Restaurant opposite. But it works fine for what it is (I live there a decent chunk of the year).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@JohnMo, Ta la, good to know and confirms that we'll give Tasch a miss.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Only go there in the shoulder season, and Mr P jnr has instructed there for a season and is back there this coming winter.
We like the Hotel Bristol (other side of the bridge from the church) for convenience as it’s an easy walk up to the Matterhorn Paradise lift that takes you over to Italy. We’ve stayed in that part of town in a self catering apartment too just up from the hotel Firefly. I think we booked it through the Zermatt.ch website, but the agent was Interhome. It was mid December, but as I recall, it was about £450 for 3 nights for 4 (2 proper bedrooms) in an apartment with a bit of an 80’s vibe.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Perty, Thanks for that much appreciated Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you want to explore the different ski areas that comprise Zermatt you need to use the free ski bus. So I would make sure you are reasonably close to a bus stop.

I haven't been in Zermatt for a while but I remember the buses being very crowded at peak times and people taking taxis to get back to their accomodation after multiple full busses passed with out stopping.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There is no way I would recommend staying in Tasch. Bite the bullet and find a (relatively) cheap apartment in Zermatt. The bus service connects the resort well, but if you're prepared to walk up and down the sides of the valley a bit, you'll find better value. I've not experienced any problems with the bus being too full in recent visits. Try the Hotel Rhodania for value that's fairly central - plus you have the North Wall Pub in the same building, so you won't need any bus back from there! Happy https://www.rhodania-northwall.ch/de/
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@iainm, Thanks for the tips.

got a couple of options at the moment;

Haus Dreispitz which apparently is 10 mins walk from the church square and 100m from bus stop Luchre
Chalet Felderhof which seems to be more central and near the Gornergrat station
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
halfhand wrote:
@iainm, Thanks for the tips.

got a couple of options at the moment;

Haus Dreispitz which apparently is 10 mins walk from the church square and 100m from bus stop Luchre
Chalet Felderhof which seems to be more central and near the Gornergrat station

There are two bus lines in Zermatt: the green line “ski bus” which goes from the train stations (main and Gornergrat right next to each other) straight up the valley stopping at the two lifts up into the ski areas (the Sunnegga furnicular in the north then the Matterhorn Express in the south); and the red line which goes all over the place (as a resident of Täsch who arrives at the main station each morning I have never been on it).

Haus Dreispitz may be 100m from a bus stop but it is on the red line which is not as useful. Walking there and back without ski gear will be fine. But I suspect you won’t enjoy doing it with ski gear and will end up using the electric taxis (CHF12).

Felderhof is superbly located. Easy walk to Gornegrat train and Sunnegga furnicular and bus to Matterhorn Express (you are at the first stop so no problems of not getting on because full).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@JohnMo, that's really helpful. Many thanks Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tasch = gash.

Stay in Zermatt proper.

Get as close to a main lift as poss. Otherwise, it sucks. Very spreadout.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@halfhand, We have stayed at the Chalet Felderhof several times, it suited us perfectly being close to the railway station and the town centre, the bus stop is at the Gornergrat railway station at the top of the road and the Sunnegga funicular is a few minutes walk. I would happily go back if only the exchange rate would improve, it used to be privately owned but was bought by the Post Hotel a few years ago.
snow conditions
@halfhand, ignore the poster that made the post before larry1950’s. That poster posts on several threads (mainly the weather one) making no positive contribution. He has never been to Zermatt. He has made several comments in the past that contain simple factual errors that even someone who had only been to Zermatt once wouldn’t make.
ski holidays
@JohnMo, Don't worry, I'm very familiar with his style Laughing Laughing

@larry1950, That's great to know. As an apartment did you find to ok? i.e. clean, comfortable, plenty of hot water etc..?
ski holidays
Yes we did @halfhand, we never had any problems with hot water even when there was seven of us using two apartments and people in the other apartments, the original owners lived in the top flat that I guess has now been refurbished and could be the 6 bed apartment, the only thing we missed was a microwave but as I said it is now owned by the Post hotel and they were easy to deal with, one benefit was that we were able to pay by credit card rather than cash as we had before but with a small surcharge.
latest report
@larry1950, Cheers, most helpful. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Happy to help @halfhand, we must have stayed at the Chalet Felderhof at least five times over the years.
snow conditions
I’m in Zermatt just now staying in Aiolis which is up the hill a bit - fantastic apartment with an amazing view of the Horn. Can’t comment on skiing other than the other morning on the glacier which was mighty fine - bring lots of cash !
snow report
I’m in Zermatt just now staying in Aiolis which is up the hill a bit - fantastic apartment with an amazing view of the Horn. Can’t comment on skiing other than the other morning on the glacier which was mighty fine - bring lots of cash !
snow conditions
@orange, Laughing Laughing
snow report
Whitegold,

But Täsch rhymes with fresh - not gash... wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy