Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any Maria Alm tips / advice?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're spending a week here in March, staying in Hotel Eder.

Not really sure what to expect, and we've been given conflicting info regarding access to ski lifts. Being told we need to get a bus, and also being told there's a lift 2 minutes walk from the hotel.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this hotel / ski area cna share some local information.

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Eder is a really nice family run hotel .I have stayed there twice ,the bar and restaurant can be busy which provides a really good atmosphere as it's quite open plan.The indoor/outdoor pool and spa are excellent.The local ski area , Natrun is about 200 yards from the hotel and when conditions are good you can ski off the backside down to the road , you then have to cross the road to get to the main area and Aberg gondola( I've been three times and only once been able to do this) or it's a ski bus that takes only a few minutes..The ski area itself is a series of four or five peaks with mainly one way up and one way down (with some exceptions).The lift system is superb apart from one small slow 2 person chair.In my opinion some of reds are on the steep side which is not ideal for beginners.Best mountain restaurant is the Steinbock Alm but there's are other good huts too.Easy to get to by train as the nearest station in Saalfelden is under 5 minutes away.Easy trips can be made to Zell am Zee and Leogang ( ski circus) as really close by but not on shared pass.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Eder is a really nice family run hotel .I have stayed there twice ,the bar and restaurant can be busy which provides a really good atmosphere as it's quite open plan.The indoor/outdoor pool and spa are excellent.The local ski area , Natrun is about 200 yards from the hotel and when conditions are good you can ski off the backside down to the road , you then have to cross the road to get to the main area and Aberg gondola( I've been three times and only once been able to do this) or it's a ski bus that takes only a few minutes..The ski area itself is a series of four or five peaks with mainly one way up and one way down (with some exceptions).The lift system is superb apart from one small slow 2 person chair.In my opinion some of reds are on the steep side which is not ideal for beginners.Best mountain restaurant is the Steinbock Alm but there's are other good huts too.Easy to get to by train as the nearest station in Saalfelden is under 5 minutes away.Easy trips can be made to Zell am Zee and Leogang ( ski circus) as really close by but not on shared pass.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We have just got back from another week at Maria Alm, and had the usual wonderful time

As Angus says the Eder is a lovely spot and even though we weren't staying there, my wife spent two days in the spa and loved it, whilst we ate there a couple of nights too. Lamb shank and the beef are both recommended. I would also suggest you try the Thalerhof(or the Dengle pub next door, same owners and menu) for steak on hot stone
Another must do trip is up to the Jufenalm. Get the Eder to book you onto the tractor to take you up. You will need to catch a cab where you will be met to be dragged up on sledges( take gloves!) which you will ride back down after your meal and a leisurely walk back home. The food is also as good as anywhere in Maria Alm, which is saying something. I think it's Eur5/p each way
If you are after any apres, it's the Dengle or nothing which didn't seem to put my kids off if their return time is anything to go by!

As Angus mentioned as well, Natrun is a short walk away but I'm not sure if the run down to Aberg is open as they are building a new lift to bring you back up to Natrun from Aberg( I didn't try as I assumed it was closed)
To get to Aberg you can either ski if the route is open(it will be weather as well as building work dependent) , catch the ski bus which takes 2 mins or drive. You will have to do option 2 or 3 to return as there is no other way back

On the slopes
At Aberg,my favourite hut is the Wastlalm but you need to go up the T bar and down either Red, or Black 15 from top of Aberg to get to it. Abergalm also gets a mention as does Tischlerhutte

Over towards Hintermoos/Dienten. It's possible to drive/catch a bus to the gondola at Hintermoos to cut out having to get up and down from Aberg . You will get off at Steinbock Alm which Angus mentions. I'm not a huge fan tbh as it gets too busy, but that's maybe because I go at half term and I'm old and prefer the smaller family places!

You should do The Kingstour to Muhlbach ( and back) at least once and eat at Shappal Alm on the long easy Blue 1 run into Muhlbach
Don't let the 2 man back up to Gabuhel put you off as it moves quickly enough and there are never any queues. The hardest bit is Red 21 as it can get quite churned up although last week it was the best I've seen it

If you have a car it is worth looking at going to other areas for the day, although there is enough in Hochkonig to keep you going for a week. This year we went back to Leogang/Saalbach( 15 min drive) and Bad Hofgastein (45 mins). Last year we went to Zell am Zee( 20 mins)
Gastein is covered in the Ski Amade but the other 2 aren't. Fot those you need the Salzburger Super Skipass but it's only an extra 15 euros for the week

You will have a great time and I'm looking at flights for next year already
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the responses - some good information there. Thanks.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Got back from Maria Alm on Saturday and the No 9 run which goes from top of Natrun to Aberg to link up with all the other runs is open. You will still have to get the bus back to the village at the end of the day though.

On the slopes, the red / black runs down into Hinterthal typically have the best snow as they are often overlooked by people doing the Hochkonig tour. Take these slopes as you get off the yellow 'Sinalco' gondola up from Hintermoos to the Steinbock Alm. There is also a really lovely mountain café (Hochmais Alm) about 3/4 way down this slope.

We have been 7 or 8 times now and in our opinion the best food in the village is the Almer Bauerkastn which is a 3-4 min walk from Eder.

Nightskiing on Mon/Wed/Fri on the village slope is worth a go. If you have a Hochkonig card it is free for 1 night if not it is approx. 9 euro.

The ski nightshow on a Tuesday is well worth going to with a great firework display at the end of it.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Angus og, @robandliza, @dking2001, which run is this at the top of picture?
https://www.hochkoenig.at/assets/images/bildergalerie/winter/content/ski_funpark/skigebiet/beginnerspark-gallery/skicross-strecke-maria-alm-salzburg-gross.jpg
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That's the Red at Natrun where you see a lot of teams practicing their GS
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
New lift from Aberg well on the way

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy