Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cruisy Couple Need a Change:Ideas?

Poster: A snowHead
Only 6 months to go, so we need to plan...

We've come late to skiing, introduced to it by the kids at ages 58 and 54 ish in 2015. Been twice a year since, and always end up in the 3V. Which we love, but maybe need a change of scenery and tempo (and a tiny cost saving would be nice too).

So, get the wisdom out, and there's lots of it on here- where shall we go that:

is accessible from GVA
is maybe small and self contained
Has plenty of blues (and some reds for me)
maybe a real village feel
some relaxed apre

any ideas?

Ta

CG
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Charliegolf, why Geneva?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Charliegolf, that'll be Les Carroz. We came even later than you......and promptly bought in Les Carroz. Skied for over 60 days last season and just hoping the next one will be as good.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Les Carroz- homework! Very Happy Cheers
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Left field idea. Go on a course with Phil Smith or Warren Smith.

Ordinary idea, check out Monta Rosa. Gressonay etc.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Charliegolf, why Geneva?

Cost! From S Wales that route is always the cheapest.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Second ordinary idea, Les Contamines.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Praz de Lys ? Although maybe no aprés.

La Clusaz?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Charliegolf, Ok...I was thinking Austria...cruisey heaven. The flights might be cheaper to Geneva but the overall cost will likely be cheaper in Austria. Depends where you go of course
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Charliegolf wrote:
Only 6 months to go, so we need to plan...

We've come late to skiing, introduced to it by the kids at ages 58 and 54 ish in 2015. Been twice a year since, and always end up in the 3V. Which we love, but maybe need a change of scenery and tempo (and a tiny cost saving would be nice too).

So, get the wisdom out, and there's lots of it on here- where shall we go that:

is accessible from GVA
some relaxed apre

any ideas?

Ta

CG

If Geneva isn't the deal breaker - you mentioned you are S Wales based - then Flybe Cardiff to Milan.

2 hr transfer to Madesimo, Lombardy, Italy

Smaller than 3V, but still plenty of piste to keep you happy.

Can read about it here (scroll down)

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=131459

Pics here

https://www.facebook.com/mike.richards.927/media_set?set=a.10155176152418624.1073741889.506688623&type=3
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I can sympathise with the view - I do not know about Cardiff but Squidgyjet gouge the prices on their Austrian services from Bristol. Managed to avoid them this year by going midweek via Birmingham with Eurowings. If taking skis check the Flybe ski lengths as their aircraft have restricted baggage holds.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megeve
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Charliegolf, we too are late starters, loved the 3v, Sixt, Les Arcs etc, ll have cruisey blues, but moved on from France to Austria, we too do at least 2 trips a year, to get us to stretch ourselves we have done two Warren Smith courses (one for my 60th), we love Saalbach and its choice of runs, holidays seem to cost less than in France, not sure what the flight situation is to Salzburg, but might be an option for you.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Montrosa/Champoluc?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
Praz de Lys ? Although maybe no aprés.

La Clusaz?

Under a new name... I'm taken by Praz de Lys, already seen an airbnb that would suit. Have you any info to share on the place, such as: any piste-side huts n resturants?; snow making; bars and resturants in the village? I would go looking for reds, but the main focus is a week of cruisy blues for my wife who is a little more reticent.

Cheers

CG

PS Thank you all, keep them coming Very Happy
snow report
I like Les Contamine for you, it is an old haut Savoie village and the skiing is self contained. As a bonus it is less busy than some resort.

May be weighted towards the reds [18] than the blues [10] Megeve is just round the corner if you want a bigger selection of blues.
snow conditions
Afraid not, @Charliegolf, visited once to use one of our season pass freebies. Had a nice lunch. Liked the look of the place. Village did seem really tiny though.
latest report
@Charliegolf, If it’s just you and your good lady with no kids; have you considered a Snowheads Bash? The MyashBash in Livigno Italy or the Birthday Bash in the fabulous Dolomites. The costs are low.
latest report
@Charliegolf, Bristol to Salzburg seems to be about £50 each way. Do you consider that to be expensive, compared with GVA? If cost is an important factor, you may prefer typical Austrian, as opposed to typical French, prices for many things other than flights.
snow report
You'd love Saalbach. Extensive cruisy pistes and an easy journey if you fly Bristol to Salzburg.
ski holidays
Tatman - prices may well be low now - but I am afraid my schedule does not allow very early booking. You were also restricted this year by either very early or very late flights and nothing on Sundays. Much as I love Austria I do not generally travel there from a South West airport but there are plenty of other UK airports reachable by rail - ghastly Birmingham (would be fine if they could sort out signing and security) and wonderful Gatwick (except for going on a walking holiday between the terminal and the gate). Please other airlines come in and compete from Bristol. By the time I was looking last year the prices were well into the £100s for sensible timed flights whereas there is so much capacity on the Geneva routes and on different days from Bristol. I suspect Saturdays at Salzburg have restrictions on capacity as the terminal is not up to handling many flights unlike Geneva which is, albeit a single runway, a proper international airport (albeit reports of queues for security on here do not encourage one but then I have had horrendous queues for security at Salzburg on a Saturday as well).
snow report
@Charliegolf, Look at Espace Diamant, Les Saises perhaps as a base? https://www.lessaisies.com/
snow report
@countryman, For about 15 years we have always used Salzburg and rarely paid more than £50 per flight - usually nearer £20 - and queues have been minimal. I suppose that much depends on the day and the time of the season. Many of our guests fly to Munich, which is still a transfer time of only 2.5 hours to Saalbach, comparable with or quicker than some transfer times to French resorts from Geneva (I used to find getting to and from Val d'Isere, for example, an absolute pain).
Flights to Munich can be very cheap, as are the train fares from the airport to our nearest station at Zell am See. Some of our guests have also used Linz, Innsbruck and Memmingen. We even have some friends who have booked flights to Stuttgart at half term next season, thereby saving a small fortune. Car hire is relatively inexpensive, and the driving time from Stuttgart again compares favourably with some transfers I have endured to Geneva.
ski holidays
@Charliegolf, sounds like you're pretty similar to me and my wife - although we started a little bit younger and are now doing about 4 weeks per season. I'd really recommend Austria too. I think you'd have a great time in Obertauern, or Obergurgl, or Lech, or the Zillertal (Mayrhofen for the Apres, Kaltenbach for the best cruising). Worth checking out flight options to Munich. Hiring a car there is usually pretty cheap and the drive, even to Lech in the far West of Austria, is more fun and shorter than GVA down to the 3V. If you can stretch your holidays it's sometimes worth flying on a Friday as the flights can be much cheaper. Either stay in Munich/Salzburg/wherever and enjoy the city night life or drive to a convenient hotel close to your resort and get an extra day's skiing.

If you want to go via GVA and want a nice village then I'd recommend Samoens. Lovely little town, just not as convenient as the Austrian resorts I've listed and food/drink on the mountain is more expensive in France than in Austria.
snow report
St Gervais or Combloux. Over 450 kms on Evasion Mont Blanc circuit. About 1.5 hrs from GVA. Very good mountain restaurants. Laid back apres. Stunning scenery.
snow report
...or if you can stand an early cheap Saturday flight from Bristol to Venice, several villages in the Dolomites might appeal.
snow report
Champoluc...and monterosa .. low cost and empty pistes...
snow report
Like sj1608, we bought in Les Carroz (well over 10 years ago) and spend every season there, 50-80 days skiing per season, haven’t tired of Grand Massif yet.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Charliegolf,
Quote:

is accessible from GVA
some relaxed apre

Les Gets meets all those criteria plus the PDS if needed.
LHR-GVA with Swiss can be cheapest of all routes as they include 23kg and free ski carriage plus their check in is usually quick and civilised although Geneva security coming home is still a nightmare in busy periods.
snow report
Grand Massif is a great option - Drive from Geneva is easy - 40 minutes to Cluses and then depending whether you are going to Samoen, Morillion, Les Carroz or Flaine a maximum of an additional 30 mins. I spent 20 days there last season and have been going for 10 years. Great range of blue and red pistes, many new lifts installed over the past 5 years. Town of Samoen is nice but not so convenient; Les Carroz is lovely but has little immediate access to slopes but if you want ski in ski out try Flaine. Terrasses D'Eos of Terrasses Helios for self catering or for hotel try Hotel Totem. Flaine isn't the most attractive of resorts to look at but the if you know where to look there are some fantastic restaurants for the evening; L'Ancolie - with navette to transport you to and from the restaurant; Le Michet and L'Eterlou. Views of Mont Blanc amazing and snow record second to none.
ski holidays
@Charliegolf, we regularly head to the Dolomites from Bristol to either Innsbruck or Venice (2 to 3 hour transfers)

Alta Badia region has pistes ranging from easy cruising blues up to challenging reds and Olympic black runs, enough to keep most people happy. Prices are reasonable and the scenery is to die for

Villages you could try are San Cassiano, La Villa, Corvara, Colfsco, Arraba etc each with easy access to the famous Sella Ronda Circuit and other spectacular locations

Tour Operators we have used include Inghams, Powder Byrne, Collets Mountain Holidays and Mountain Sun, it is also easy to DIY with car hire from either airport
ski holidays
My vote would be for the Aosta Valley - Gressoney and Champoluc, so lovely and also quiet during the week (the Italians come up for the weekend and go away). Great food too.
snow conditions
Klosters.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy