Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2018 / 2019

Poster: A snowHead
@eblunt, yep, there is a walking track which we use sometimes, when desperate ie. when Colosses has broken down, but it needs to be hit at full charge and is quite uphill at the end to rejoin the piste.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@boredsurfin, Yes, I've seen that .... where the old Leitchoums lift was. Surely they can remodel that bit somehow to avoid the walk ?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Alastair
Thanks for the reply a couple of weeks ago! Been away with work, so apologies for not getting back to you.

I know both resorts pretty well (did a season in Belle Plagne) - just gutted I didn't know the lift dates when we booked the chalet.
Oh well - as you say, there is plenty of terrain and the rest of the group don't seem too pissed off.

Cheers
T
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tferris, I admire your optimism. Pray for a start to season like last one.
But for previous 3 years i don't think you have been able to ski down to Montchavin until after New Year.
If you can ski at Montchavin at all before Dec 22: https://winter.montchavin-la-plagne.com/
For as long as i can remember, whole of Paradiski has been open for Christmas week, but the week before Christmas only the upper parts are open, with no links to Montchavin/Les Coches, or Champagny, or Montalbert.
I hope for you I'm wrong.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 22-09-18 10:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Jonpim, to be fair he has cause to be optimistic, in regard of skiing down to Les Coches at least. Whilst the VE may not open until the 22nd they will want to have the links prepared asap. So they will probably be priming the slopes down the VE and from the VE to Les Coches with artificial snow as early as possible.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've been skiing a number of times in La Plagne the week before Christmas and @Jonpim is correct. Every year I went only the higher parts of the resort were open (ie nothing below Plagne Centre) because there wasn't enough snow or people. They usually opened the resort fully on the day the Vanoise opens (with free vin chaud!) so we could use the Les Arcs day pass on the Saturday before we left on the Sunday. One year we braved it down to Montalbert and it was so stony the hire shops would not have been happy.

However, there was plenty of good skiing to be had in La Plagne, with nice quiet well-groomed pistes and no lift queues - so, every cloud! Some years we had absolutely tons of snow.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Layne, I agree they will be busy preparing the runs down to the Vanoise, but will the lifts above Montchavin (and the other lower sectors Champagny and Montalbert) actually be running the week before Christmas?
The La Plagne page states opening 15/12/2018, while the Montchavin page states opening 22/12/2018.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Tferris This:
Jonpim wrote:
the Montchavin page states opening 22/12/2018.

I think it is generally unusual to open before the scheduled date, even if there is enough snow, because many staff for lifts, ski-hire shops, mountain restaurants etc will only arrive for the scheduled date. With plenty of snow they may get a limited area operating.

I would work on the assumption that you may have to get to Plagne 1800 / Bellecote / Centre each day until the 22nd. About 15-20 miles each way. Are you self-drive?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jonpim wrote:
Layne, I agree they will be busy preparing the runs down to the Vanoise, but will the lifts above Montchavin (and the other lower sectors Champagny and Montalbert) actually be running the week before Christmas?
The La Plagne page states opening 15/12/2018, while the Montchavin page states opening 22/12/2018.

Honestly don't know. And based on others experience perhaps not. If I was Tferris I would want to find out though. Clearly it could be a major issue.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
No further news about Montchavin before Dec 22nd 2018?

Meantime from webcams looks like good progress on new stuff.
The Inversens lift looking good from Roche de Mio end.
And the cranes seem to have gone from Plagne Centre, suggesting that developments there are (hopefully) near completion.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jonpim wrote:
No further news about Montchavin before Dec 22nd 2018?

Err, what news are you expecting?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Myrtilles piste, a new blue run for 2018/19 has been announced in Montchavin.

From https://twitter.com/Alpine365ski
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@boredsurfin, Is that one of the forest cat-tracks they've officially converted to a piste? Can't picture it myself, although as I big fan of Pierres Blanches I'm not sure why it was needed? Seems a strange decision to get some potentially nervous learners crossing a black piste like that - from memory Murs is quite narrow so may not give much room for manoeuvring around crossing skiers.

Thanks for sharing though, I've been missing some La Plagne news as the Perso La Plagne news page hasn't been updated since the end of July! All looking good on the webcam though for the new Inversens lift.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@chopkins13, Guess so, I'm never really sure where I am around there! Found a bar one year, didn't know it existed, it was off a loop off a piste, I'm sure it was a X Country track the season before.....

Must admit (Olly) Murs is one of my favourite blacks, just short enough for my old knees to cope with Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@boredsurfin, quick question. Friends are staying in Plagne 1800 this feb, I'm wondering how difficult it is to get to and from there from the other villages in the evenings for instance Plagne soleil or Plagne Centre?
snow conditions
@tman80, Really easy, theres a bus service that runs around fairly constantly until late evening, there is also a footpath up from 1800 to Centre if they like a walk!
Bus details here. https://winter.la-plagne.com/station/acces-station/inter-station-shuttles.html
snow report
@boredsurfin, Thanks
snow report
Layne wrote:

On Sept 7th Tferris posted he had booked a chalet in Montchavin for 11 people from December 15th.
But all the info i can find suggests Montchavin won't open until Dec 22.
Tferris and his mates may have to ski old style: walk up (no lifts).
snow conditions
this page seems to indicate the area will open on the 15th

https://winter.montchavin-la-plagne.com/ski/ski-pedestrian-skipass/prices-paradiski.html

Scroll down…..
latest report
Jonpim wrote:
Layne wrote:

On Sept 7th Tferris posted he had booked a chalet in Montchavin for 11 people from December 15th.
But all the info i can find suggests Montchavin won't open until Dec 22.
Tferris and his mates may have to ski old style: walk up (no lifts).

I spent the 2012/3 season in Montchavin and that was a fantastic start to the season. There was loads of snow about but the lifts down to Montchavin and everything in Montchavin stayed resolutely closed until the official opening date on Saturday 22nd December. No bars, no restaurants, no shops were open until that date. When we finally got our lift passes a couple of days before Montchavin opened we drove around to Peisey to ski the Les Arcs side as the closest open point.
ski holidays
albob, that page is most confusing.
At the top, it clearly states "Opening 22/12/2018"
There are indeed prices for lift passes starting 15/12/2018, but i would still like to check with someone in the La Plagne Lift Pass office or Tourist Office to check the lifts will be running out of Montchavin before 22/12/2018.
Especially after Gämsbock's post.
ski holidays
@albob, but this page on the same site seems to indicate that the lower villages (including Montchavin) will not open until 22nd.
https://winter.montchavin-la-plagne.com/ski/ski-pedestrian-skipass/prices-villages.html
snow report
Montalbert.com on a PC (ie not on a phone) states clearly Opening 22/12/2018. Montchavin and the Vanoise Express normally open on the same day.
latest report
Gämsbock wrote:
@albob, but this page on the same site seems to indicate that the lower villages (including Montchavin) will not open until 22nd.
https://winter.montchavin-la-plagne.com/ski/ski-pedestrian-skipass/prices-villages.html

The banner at the top of every page on that site (viewed on a PC) says "Ouverture: 22/12/2018"
latest report
Hi everyone,

Montchavin is opening on the 22nd this year and not on the 15th. There has been some confusion with the lift pass company as they confirmed very late, and opened the 15th week last year.

If you've booked a chalet in Montchavin for the week of the 15th you should contact the chalet company to discuss - they should be able to help and advise.

Good luck!
snow conditions
Activity levels at the top of the new Inversens lift seem to have dwindled in the last few days looking at the RDM webcam, although all the chairs are still 'parked' next to the restaurant waiting to be hung.

Anyone heard any progress updates or estimated opening date? Perso La Plagne hasn't posted anything since July!
snow report
chopkins13 wrote:
Activity levels at the top of the new Inversens lift seem to have dwindled in the last few days looking at the RDM webcam, although all the chairs are still 'parked' next to the restaurant waiting to be hung.

Anyone heard any progress updates or estimated opening date? Perso La Plagne hasn't posted anything since July!

I'm not alone in micro examining web cams then..... Embarassed Smile
snow conditions
I understand the new Inversens is planned to open for the start of the season, La Plagne have a good record with new lifts if you exclude the lift built by LST!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I'm not alone in micro examining web cams then.....

You are most certainly not! I'm not even going to get to go skiing this year but am still a daily visitor to the webcams!

@Charliee, it's less than 8 weeks to the start of the season now though - got to be cutting it fine for loading the chairs and completing the testing etc - especially as the weather will need to turn soon if they are going to be open for the start of the season!
snow conditions
Hi @chopkins13, I suspect they are focusing the work on the bottom station, up top must be close to finished - from memory it did not take more than a few days to ass the chairs to crozats. Fingers crossed for snow and the new chair, having said that in recent, low snow seasons, Inversens has been a god send being high and north facing, the new lift will accelerate the snow destruction should the season have a poor start.
latest report
chopkins13 wrote:
.................. Perso La Plagne hasn't posted anything since July!

Ahem, they heard you....

http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/Actualites.htm?fbclid=IwAR0OIbjxv2xgYmfWVcNxmYEFj4IfiQWkFcqVWkRmSUlpFsk9k2ZR3cIz2fQ#24_10_18
ski holidays
@thefatcontroller, haha what are the chances!!

Whilst not always accurate this is the google translate:

“The work of the Inversens chairlift is now almost complete. The site monitoring was not up to that of previous years, first because the future of the site is in question, and then because I have received no picture. The cable was unrolled in the first week of October, as seen on these pictures earlier this month. The seats arrived on the site a few days ago and will soon be hung. Remember that we can follow the progress of the work live on the webcam Roche de Mio.”

Bit confused by what they mean about not being able to monitor as the future of the site is in question - presumably they are talking about the Perso La Plagne web site? Anyone any idea what’s going on there? Always a good source of pictures and updates on new lift plans so would be a shame to see that web site go!
snow conditions
Also, why have the sprayed the reworked ground green when it should hopefully be covered in snow in a few weeks??
ski holidays
@boredsurfin, Another question. Might have a chance of a five day quick break from the 22nd December in Les Arcs. Do you know of any transfer company's that would be running back to Geneva on Thursday the 27th Dec? Getting to resort on the 22nd shouldn't be too much of a problem i'm just unsure of the return journey. Thanks
ski holidays
@tman80, Not my field of expertise but a good start would be https://www.skiidygonzales.com or https://whiterides.co.uk
snow conditions
@chopkins13, There is a little bit more on the future of Perso Plagne on their facebook page. To paraphrase the translation Romain hasn't got the time and 18 years is a long time for a website...
ski holidays
@boredsurfin, Thanks, would be a shame if the baton couldn’t be handed on to keep the site going. Maybe I’ll have to move to La Plagne and take up the role myself.....
ski holidays
@chopkins13, Ironically, Romain does not live in LP, maybe thats part of the problem...
snow report
Well worth reading the weather thread.
Interesting things happening in the alps just now.
So there is snow at the top of La Plagne - looks rather nice.
latest report
Still early days ..... Toofy Grin

Quote:
Here are the dates of the first natural snowfall in MONTALBERT (1350m) of each season for the last 13 years.

2005/2006 28th November
2006/2007 22nd November
2007/2008 7th November
2008/2009 29th October
2009/2010 08th November
2010/2011 16th November
2011/2012 05th December
2012/2013 28thOctober
2013/2014 10th November
2014/2015 9th December
2015/2016 21st November
2016/2017 9th November