Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Couple of depressing articles

Poster: A snowHead
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/article/2024/may/08/world-scientists-climate-failure-survey-global-temperature?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR144ifYP3lxv2bwD86JTdy6hcrZ5VSlWG-5OZzKuWZCAADJ5hcQPokkSL8_aem_ASu9nP5y1I43q_-QsCwOn99Z-G6DAlev_yYWv4U7fYzU20vjUj1OSGtwsRpLvZec-BidzQzoPTuk--s7VNF0_LMv

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/article/2024/may/08/venezuela-loses-its-last-glacier-as-it-shrinks-down-to-an-ice-field
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm 58

Sub-Saharan Africa has been a fuc*ing mess my whole life and longer.

Population control is the key.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
population control is 'the' problem globally.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Mike Pow,
I'm 58, most of my life two things have been in the news, amost every week if not every day. Israel/Palestine and NI. Thankfully one of them has been quiet for years, the other...I think I was about 12 when I realised that bunging a stone at a tank is a crap way of waging a war.

Population control is definitely a good thing, but I'm not sure we can say that these days.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bob wrote:
population control is 'the' problem globally.

Need a world war.
The great reset. Human consume & breed.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I’m always amazed that when the mainstream media report on global warming they don’t report that the main cause is too many people. Clearly the invasive species that is humanity is starting to decline in some parts of the world: Japan, S. Korea, Italy and even here in Scotland. The problem for governments is how do you manage (if you actually can) population until we have robots that can effectively wipe the backsides of those of us who are approaching the day when we need it.

Written under the influence of a rather potent cocktail!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Ski lots, With so much infra & movement on hold for 18 months, its not fossil fuel!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
-The ability of modern medicine to keep people alive who , even 10 years ago, would have died.
-Humans have got too 'good' at controlling certain parts of nature and, at a far greater rate than nature has of catching up.
- Natural resets like pandemics, are controlled very quiclky now.
-Famines are fought and it would be political suicide to not be seen to support relief efforts
-Of course, on a micro level , nobody wants their nearest and dearest to be part of nature's cull , me included but it isn't helping the greater good of the planet.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A Declining and aging population is the main demographic threat to many parts of rural Britain. That’s because the young continue to move to the cities, particularly in the south and are not being replaced in the more rural areas. Failure of government regional policy (levelling up) and therefore movement away from rural Britain is a much bigger issue outside the urban areas, than international migration.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Peter S, I think the issue is not migration either international or internal per se. People seeking a better life either because they want to or because they have to is a story as long as humanity. The issue is the total numbers of us and our increased consumerism (of which snow sports are just a part). Who could blame someone in a less prosperous part of the world aspiring to enjoy what we are apparently luck enough to have.
At a more local level, Mrs SL left/escaped a pretty impoverished existence in the Highlands to go to University nearly 50 years ago and only ever went back as a tourist. Is that wrong? Her sisters both stayed and are both now dead, largely due to the consequent health and lifestyle inequalities.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I read somewhere that climate change can only ever be controlled by the actions of Asia and South America who have way more problems (like poverty) higher up the priority list. Maybe China's contribution to population control was their pandemic gift?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Saddest thing is some of the ill informed replies to the OP.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Layne,
Explain rather than making an ill informed decision.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The problem with predicting the future is unforeseen.
The glaciers are retreating quicker than expected because the original calculations were based on the sun hitting the white snow, they didn’t allow for a dark coating of pollution on the surface that increases the melt rate.
The rule of the three W’s still stands… wetter, windier, warmer. It is happening, and it is happening now. Faster than expected.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Ski lots, not blaming people for leaving, it’s more a problem of the centralisation of resources and power, which is no doubt a big reason behind the devolution and independence movements. The united kingdom just isn’t as united or equal as it should be.
ski holidays
bobhitch wrote:
-The ability of modern medicine to keep people alive who , even 10 years ago, would have died.
-Humans have got too 'good' at controlling certain parts of nature ...
I blame it all on discovering how to control fire...
https://www.theadventureservice.com/amp/influence-of-fire-on-human-evolution
snow report
I think these types of articles just make you want to ski now, as it will be too late tomorrow...
ski holidays
bobhitch wrote:
-The ability of modern medicine to keep people alive who , even 10 years ago, would have died..

By far and away the biggest success of medicine in terms of longevity is getting people to survive infancy and childhood then childbirth.. In the long term this tends to reduce population growth as people have fewer children. Outside subsahran Africa the population is not really growing very much.
snow conditions
Yes, too many people - in the developed world. One person in the UK consumes as much in terms of natural resources as 30 people (or more) in a developing nation. It's hypocrisy for us to witter on about 'too many people' when we are the culprits of both economic exploitation and global heating.
ski holidays
I agree with LaForet.
Give most people a nice life, contraception and a health care system and populations seem to stall or fall. Make it so half your kids die and you keep having more.
ski holidays
dode wrote:
The problem with predicting the future is unforeseen.

The rule of the three W’s still stands… wetter, windier, warmer. It is happening, and it is happening now. Faster than expected.

That's Wales in my lifetime

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 13-05-24 8:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Mike Pow wrote:
dode wrote:
The glaciers are retreating quicker than expected because the original calculations were based on the sun hitting the white snow, ....

That's Wales in my lifetime

Blimey - you must be getting on a bit if you remember the Welsh glaciers, Mike Toofy Grin Laughing
snow report
Ha ha

Amended Smile
snow report
T Bar wrote:
bobhitch wrote:
-The ability of modern medicine to keep people alive who , even 10 years ago, would have died..

By far and away the biggest success of medicine in terms of longevity is getting people to survive infancy and childhood then childbirth.. In the long term this tends to reduce population growth as people have fewer children. Outside subsahran Africa the population is not really growing very much.

Yes totally, the global population growth is currently declining which brings a whole host of other economic issues where there are too many older people taking from the system, and not enough young people flowing tax money into it. China is the biggest risk, with the old one child policy meaning they have an economic time-bomb on their hands - and so are actively trying to boost their birth rate.

So completely agree that an increased population has put massive strains on the planet - but without addressing or changing the economic model many governments will find themselves trying to fix the short term issues of population growth declines.
ski holidays
Mike Pow wrote:
I'm 58

Sub-Saharan Africa has been a fuc*ing mess my whole life and longer.

Population control is the key.

Agreed.

It's ok, though, because the whole population of Sub-Saharan Africa can just come to the UK and live here happily ever after.
snow conditions
LaForet wrote:
Yes, too many people - in the developed world. One person in the UK consumes as much in terms of natural resources as 30 people (or more) in a developing nation.

Nonsense. Even the UK Green party says it is only 4:1 - so an Africa with a Billion people is close to European levels of consumption. An Africa with 4-5 billion (2100 forecasts by the UN) would be multiple times European consumption, especially as consumption is rising on that continent. At the same time as Africa quadruples its population the native European population would fall by half.
latest report
There is always wild hysteria about global warming.

But nothing bad ever happens.

We all get a sweet tan, notchup the aircon, and life carries on as normal.

Everyone in Venezuela can still get a drink from the grocery store.

The world has been melting for the past 15k years.

It's nothing new.
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/may/13/canada-wildfires-british-columbia-evacuation
https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/may/12/afghanistan-flash-floods-kill-more-than-300-as-torrents-of-water-and-mud-crash-through-villages
https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/article/2024/may/10/brazil-is-reeling-from-catastrophic-floods-what-went-wrong-and-what-does-the-future-hold
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Layne wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/may/13/canada-wildfires-british-columbia-evacuation
https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/may/12/afghanistan-flash-floods-kill-more-than-300-as-torrents-of-water-and-mud-crash-through-villages
https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/article/2024/may/10/brazil-is-reeling-from-catastrophic-floods-what-went-wrong-and-what-does-the-future-hold

Hysterical fearmongering by attention-seeking "scientists" and clickbait-desperate old media.

The reality is, global deaths by weather have plunged an astonishing -95% in the past 100 years.

Famine has all but disappeared.

The world today is safer than at any time ever in the past 1 million years of human history.

snow report
Whitegold wrote:

Hysterical fearmongering by attention-seeking "scientists" and clickbait-desperate old media.

Yup. They peddle snakeoil - Make poo-poo up to get their next pay check funded.
latest report
@Whitegold,

https://www.reuters.com/fact-check/drop-climate-related-disaster-deaths-not-evidence-against-climate-emergency-2023-09-19/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy