Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easyjet - luggage policy.

Poster: A snowHead
I know there have been threads about the Easyjet luggage policy on here in the past, but I wanted recent experiences, given they changed their luggage policy last year.

I'm looking to use my 190cm Dankine Fall Line double ski holdall as my only luggage. All my clothes will be in the holdall. My boots will be going on as hand luggage, as the bag is within their size limits.

Their baggage policy says you have to pay for all hold luggage. The cost of which varies depending upon the weight. They also say that you have to pay extra for sports equipment. Again the price varies depending upon whether it is classed as small or large.

I've just had an online chat with their customer service dept; in which they said I could not take clothes in my ski holdall. That may be their policy, but has anyone had any experience of them enforcing it? v Puzzled

When I flew Ryanair to the BB in February this year; all I took was my Dankine, no other hold luggage and they were fine about it; charging me just for the Dankine.

Easyjet's weight limit is 32kg for luggage including large sports equipment. Mine weighed in at 20Kg last time I flew, so I should be well within their limit.

I'd be gutted if they insisted I open my ski holdall and kicked off on seeing clothes in there. As far as I'm concerned, the clothes are there to protect my skis from damage. Beside, I wouldn't want to try and carry a 190 Dankine, a holdall/suitcase for clothes and a hand luggage bag for by boots. Not unless they provided a free Sherpa as part of the deal.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ah the start of a new EZy luggage policy thread.

As mentioned in the other thread they have never opening my ski bag to inspect the contents in the last 2 years of taking them. Last time at beginning of Jan this year.

I'm impressed you got to take a ski bag under the general hold bag. If you manage that again this season do post.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ster wrote:
Ah the start of a new EZy luggage policy thread...

Shall we start one on helmets?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Awdbugga, If you are just booking a ski bag then it will be small sports equipment with a max weight of 20 kg. You cannot get more weight just by booking large sports equipment unless it is a hang glider etc.

The good news is that as long as you are in the weight limit they will not ask or look inside your skibag. This based on countless trips with EJ. Including flying out of Liverpool last December.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They don't look inside your bag, but they do X-Ray it.
On my first bash .... In the days of the infamous Vodka Party.
I took full advantage of my weight allowance.

The very nice lady on the outsize baggage machine wanted to know what was in the cans.

"Figs of course!"

You have to have figs for "Vodka Fiegens"

Perhaps nobody has heard of "Vodka Fiegens" except me ....
I just googled it to check the spelling and I found !!!!
a) a post I wrote in the past about EZjet luggage April 2013 on Snowheads
b) and a TripAdviser review I wrote for a Zell am See bar.

God it is a small world or I dont know the German spellig for Figs Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cad99uk wrote:
@Awdbugga, If you are just booking a ski bag then it will be small sports equipment with a max weight of 20 kg. You cannot get more weight just by booking large sports equipment unless it is a hang glider etc.

The good news is that as long as you are in the weight limit they will not ask or look inside your skibag. This based on countless trips with EJ. Including flying out of Liverpool last December.

The ski hold-all I have is a beast; nearly 2 metres long. I wonder what the reaction would be at the check in desk if a customer has mistakenly booked and paid for a large sports equipment item, but they consider it to be classed as small. Would they be more understanding if the weight is very slightly over 20kg. Regardless, I’m going to do the same as I did with Ryanair and fill my hold-all with my clothes.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Awdbugga, If you book large sports equipment but come in just over 20 kg you will probably be ok. They will not care what is in the bag. At Liverpool last December our snowboard bags were not weighed at all. Just leant across the scales to have the tags put on.

My 2p: Book small sports equipment, get the weight down to 20kg then you can fill it with what you like and have no worries. Even mrs cad can do a week on 20kg. (snowboard, boots, protective stuff and clothes).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
achilles wrote:
ster wrote:
Ah the start of a new EZy luggage policy thread...

Shall we start one on helmets?

Maybe just a little early in the season to kick that hornets nest off.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I’d book a normal piece of luggage with appropriate weight limit (there are now 2 or 3 limits).

Max size is l+h+w less or equal to total 275 cms.

They won’t look in your bag.

They won’t care.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
I’d book a normal piece of luggage with appropriate weight limit (there are now 2 or 3 limits).

Max size is l+h+w less or equal to total 275 cms.

They won’t look in your bag.

They won’t care.

Good enough for me. I’ll book a small (normal) sports piece of luggage. Thanks all for the feedback and advice.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For the 'Small sports equipment' you're allowed (and have been for a while now) skis in one bag and boots in a separate bag (boot bag) both of which go in the hold. The combined weight of them must not exceed 20kg.

I never book a hold bag - only the sports item and my carry on luggage.

I turn up with the skis and some clothing in the ski bag and boots and socks etc. in the boot bag - up to the 20kg weight allowance, everything else including liquids, jacket, thermals etc. is crammed into/onto my expandable carry on luggage.

I don't know about other airports but with Luton and Geneva (where I normally fly to/from), you check in your sports equipment and they put the luggage tag on it - the people on the check-in desk do care about the weight of the items.

However, you then take it around to outsize luggage yourself. Outsize luggage don't care about the weight - apart from that no single bag is over 32kg.

I transfer any liquids, and other items from my expanded carry on bag into the ski bag before handing over to the outsize baggage desk - I've even done this in front of the people handling the outsize luggage.

= Ski bag weighing 20kg+, a boot bag and carry on luggage. My helmet is clipped to the outside of my carry on luggage.

Never had any problems doing this.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DrLawn - I'm afraid your supposition about not having the spelling right is correct! The German for figs is Feige Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have never flown to take a ski holiday, have always driven, but am considering Easyjet for next year. Have a question about ski boots.

My understanding was you couldn't take ski boots in your hand luggage, is that correct?

Secondly, if you can't, can you put them in with your normal luggage? Small sports equipment says skis and boots, does that mean that if you have boots you have to book them in as small sports equipment?

Thanks
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kosciosco, I have never taken boots as hand luggage, but I'm pretty sure some on here have. Otherwise, pack them in with your main luggage. Don't book sports equipment unless you are taking skis, there is no need to book it for just boots.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@kosciosco, I would never NOT take my ski boots as hand luggage. Least replaceable element of my kit. Why would there be any problem?
snow report
Replies on the allowance of ski boots in hand luggage seem to depend on which airport and their hand luggage regime as they control the hand luggage security check rather than the airline. And this can change from time to time. Best bet is if you are not going until later in the season see what others' recent experience (of both out and return airport) is, then act accordingly.

Failing this (or nerve) put them into your normal checked in bag. These are not security checked for blunt instruments!

Do not buy the sports allowance as already said this is for skis.
ski holidays
kosciosco wrote:
I have never flown to take a ski holiday, have always driven, but am considering Easyjet for next year. Have a question about ski boots.

My understanding was you couldn't take ski boots in your hand luggage, is that correct?

Secondly, if you can't, can you put them in with your normal luggage? Small sports equipment says skis and boots, does that mean that if you have boots you have to book them in as small sports equipment?

Thanks

I took my boots as cabin baggage last year with Ryanair. No problems. I had to buy a new boot bag though as by original one stored the boots side by side; which made the bag too wide to meet the size criteria. So I bought one which stores them as interlocked L shapes. https://www.glideslide.co.uk/15701/products/rossignol-hero-dual-boot-bag.aspx. That bag meets the dimension criteria for hand luggage.
snow conditions
While I am sure @Awdbugga's bag is optimum for ski boots, mine just go in a standard wheelie cabin bag.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
While I am sure @Awdbugga's bag is optimum for ski boots, mine just go in a standard wheelie cabin bag.

This was my plan for Feb half term with the heaviest set of ski boots we have with us.

Though I am also hoping that they (BA in our case) offer to check in hand luggage for free as the “flight is full” message which I have seen before when we have flown and I have no doubts ours will be. Happy
snow report
Awdbugga wrote:
I've just had an online chat with their customer service dept; in which they said I could not take clothes in my ski holdall. That may be their policy, but has anyone had any experience of them enforcing it? v Puzzled

When I flew Ryanair to the BB in February this year; all I took was my Dankine, no other hold luggage and they were fine about it; charging me just for the Dankine.

Every airline I've heard of has similar language in their T&Cs and while they don't really care what's in the bag when it goes in the hold they do when it doesn't come out. If you have clothes in a 'sports bag' you'll likely only get compensation for the sports equipment in the bag if it's lost or damaged. That said, in the big sceme of things it's unusual for a bag to go missing and you don't need to make many one-bag flights before you've saved enough to replace your ski clothes.

You pays yer money, you takes yer choice.
snow report
I have done skis and extras incl clothing in my ski bag for my last 4 trips on EJ without issue. Boots are always with me in my carry on. Helmet is also inside the carry on too. Bag has been weighed 7 out of the 8 journeys. I worry about it every trip but its always been fine.
snow report
@djf, Thats good to know, we are flying Easyjet from Luton, so hopefully that won't be an issue, means we can go for a lower weight baggage in the hold as well
ski holidays
@djf, why worry about the weight? Weigh it at home first! Puzzled
snow report
Sorry @under a new name badly worded on my part. I don’t worry about the weight more the 86 pairs of pants and 32 T-shirts I put in there too Smile

I went away 2 years ago and only took the ski bag stuffed full of clothes. I was waiting for them to make me buy another suitcase but it was all good.

This year to On holiday #1 I took 2 pairs of skis and 2 sets of boots plus ski clothes in my ski bag. I was over on the ski bag but under on the hold luggage.

Then also this year on hol #2 I took 3 pairs of skis in the bag .... their t&cs seemed to allow this as it doesn’t define how many pairs of skis, so I felt ok on that one.

So yeah it’s been ok but I’m expecting at some point they’ll raise it. Having said that, part of the appeal of ej is that they are relaxed about it which for me is a big selling point for using them.
latest report
Mjit wrote:
... If you have clothes in a 'sports bag' you'll likely only get compensation for the sports equipment in the bag if it's lost or damaged. ....

Um, no. The Montreal Convention requires full compensation with a set limit. There are no get-out clauses because they like skis but don't like ski socks.

--
I always carry my hard snowboard boots in hand baggage.
It's common because boots are relatively hard to rent.
If they gave me hassle about it I'd probably walk on the 'plane wearing them, but that has never happened.
snow report
TBH never thought about that aspect. Have always assumed if I’ve got clothes in there then that’s on me if they’re lost. Interesting to know.
ski holidays
Is there never any concern about a very heavy metal blunt instrument, ie ski boot, being carried on a plane? Could do a lot more damage than scissors
ski holidays
kosciosco,

We've flown over 50 times from a number of UK airports (including Newcastle, Manchester, Leeds Bradford, East Mids, Birmingham, Luton, Stansted, Heathrow, Gatwick & Liverpool) with ski boots in our hand luggage - mostly with Easyjet but also with BA, Jet2 and Ryanair.

Never had a problem.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy