Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good cheao resort for beginner skier

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I have been lurking for a while and have found this forum really helpful.

I took my girlfriend on her first ski trip this year, when she is relaxed she is a really decent skier happily going down reds without realizing it, but the fear strikes her and it all goes out the window. This largely appears to be on tight runs with a drop, and on icy runs, even if they are blues or greens.

I think also both of us resent paying £250 for ski passes. So somewhere with relatively cheap ski passes would be good. Even if it means a smaller ski area.

I am not fussed about having a massive ski area as my favorite day skiing ever was on a farmers field in Austria which had just one chair lift (skiing into barbed wire is an experience, but the powder was amazing!).

At the moment bankso is winning but I want to make sure I haven’t missed anything. Also do not recommend any crystal holiday I have only had bad experiences with them.

Tl;dnr I am looking for a resort which is good for beginners, which has cheap lift passes, it doesn’t need a massive ski area, and not with crystal!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When are you thinking of going?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I knew I forgot something important.

I was thinking early January I have seen good deals generally around the W/c 5th and w/c 12th.

It doesn’t get cheaper until March which I would rather leave free as if I can do this cheap enough I might be able to justify coming on a EOSB (I would be happier paying the premium on passes then as i’ll be able to make use of the terrain).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Slightly random selection around the €160-170 (£140-150) mark for 6 days:
Livigno, €157 in January
Kranjska Gora €162
Valmenier €170
Bonneval sur Arc €158
Laterns €168 mid season
Oberjoch €178
Marbach 185 Fr. (€160)

Of the above, I've only been to Laterns and Oberjoch.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@dorhar, even better, the EoSB price includes the lift pass.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@gämsbock thanks for this info, one reason I want to go, although just seen the MyaSHBash night go ahead. If it does I might push her towards that as she loved meeting other skiers and got more in terms of confidence speaking to other skiers. It would also be good for her to be with others learning as to quote her ‘you being annoyingly good after stacking it on the ski treadmill annoyed me more and put me off more’.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lots of french resorts around the £150 mark like Valloire.
Shorter flight & transfer times as well.

maybe look on odalys, madame vacances, pierre vacances, sunweb & snowtrex for deals.
Valloire.com has some deals that include discounted lift pass + its special offer week for 5th Jan
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mr.Egg wrote:
lots of french resorts around the £150 mark like Valloire.
Shorter flight & transfer times as well.

maybe look on odalys, madame vacances, pierre vacances, sunweb & snowtrex for deals.
Valloire.com has some deals that include discounted lift pass + its special offer week for 5th Jan

That is amazing, exactly what I was looking for. Very similar price to bankso with twice the number of slopes and shorter journey will do some more homework but snowheads has already pointed me in the right direction! Any more suggestions still welcome.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you like France then have a wade through this brochure:

http://www.maurienne.fr/pdf/saison/1408621620_GuideNeige_2014bat.pdf

A bit old now but there's loads of useful info.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've been to Vogel in Slovenia that would tick all your boxes. http://www.vogel.si/winter
You might need to DIY, but you can get very cheap flights to Ljubljana with Wizz then its an hour transfer.
Lift pass is €140 for 6 days.
Drink and eating out is also cheap.
We stayed here - https://www.vila-park.si/ about 15min walk from lifts (or free bus). Lots of other places nearby.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Italy has some good smaller areas at reasonable prices. Food and drink tends to be better value than many French resorts too.
Eg Aosta, Pila, Sestriere.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKI-HOLIDAY-BREAK-ALL-INCLUSIVE-PRESOLANA-ITALY-CHEAP-HOTEL-FAMILY-COUPLE/262749237498?hash=item3d2d1330fa:g:3tcAAOSwi0RXysSV
This place seems flexible and gets good reviews. Never been myself tho
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I would check the height !
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you're thinking of Bulgaria, I recommend Borovets. I went there in January this year and was pleasantly surprised. It's small but seems good for beginners with very cheap accommodation, lessons and food.

Whilst Bansko is larger and arguably better, it really suffers from the huge queue for the gondola each morning. I couldn't be doing with that.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dorhar wrote:

I think also both of us resent paying £250 for ski passes. So somewhere with relatively cheap ski passes would be good. Even if it means a smaller ski area.

Season passes are getting very dear !
snow report
Try the Tatra mountains - either the Polish or Slovak sides
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy