Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bindings and ACLs

Poster: A snowHead
Has anybody had any issues with Marker Kingpin bindings not releasing? Mine didn't, result - a ruptured ACL in both knees and extensive damage to other ligaments.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Alfiemalfie, that's really tough for you - do I take it you've done both knees, and that both did not release at the same time?

What were the snow conditions like at the time (eg spring sludge) and what sort of incident was it, slow speed or major wipeout?

After I did mine, and I know others do, is that we naturally look to blame the binding for not releasing.

Have they released for you before ?

Though could well be that your boots were not setup correctly for the binding ?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi, yep, neither binding release. Skiing on a glacier in crusty snow, reasonably high speed prang so would have expected them to release as they have before; and the boots and binding were set up by a ski shop
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My understanding is that the vast majority of ACL injuries are caused by it not being able to twist at the heal. Traditional design of bindings are designed to prevent your leg being broken, not to protect your ligaments.

I have changed my bindings to KneeSafe bindings to attempt to protect what is left of my knees (one of which has half the reconstructed ACL left inside with a third of the cartilage).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Alfiemalfie, just because they were set up by a shop doesn’t mean they were set correctly.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've been thinking of those Kneesafe bindings as this is my second ACL injury. What do you reckon to them?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
True, but you'd like to think they've done the job properly. And I'd been using them for two seasons with no previous issues
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alfiemalfie wrote:
I've been thinking of those Kneesafe bindings as this is my second ACL injury. What do you reckon to them?

I have got on fine with them and managed a test of the heal twist release once. I got them from SpyderJon when I was doing he ski servicing course. It helps with my confidence given the state my knees are now in which in itself is helpful.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks - looks like new bindings for me next season then!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Definitely check out the new Salomon Shift bindings.

http://shift-bindings.salomon.com/en

I feel this is the future ... and has to be the safest touring binding around ...

BTW I have no association with Salomon.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Trab TR2 is supposed to be safer than any alpine binding for protecting against soft tissue/ligamen t/acl/pcl etc and that comes from the original designer of the kneebinding.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Alfiemalfie, you might have just been unlucky. I popped an ACL in an alpine binding so I don’t think there’s a magic solution
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Alfiemalfie, I'm not a binding expert, but I had a bad fall on piste bindings and skis, and one binding released eventually and one didn't. Still apparently took out both ACLs and both MCLs.
Fallen and cartwheeled loads of times and had neither binding release; fallen spectacularly loads of times and one released; fallen only a few times when both have released. Only once had any injury at all, as above.
Bindings, even when set to the right settings, don't always magically release; ACL injuries happen to people just walking or doing other non-ski things.
I don't think that there's necessarily any direct relation between injury and binding. Not a medical or ski expert, so in your case, I could be wrong. But not necessarily an excuse to bin some good bindings. Get them checked over by a good technician.
Good luck with the recovery.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Alfiemalfie,
Sorry to hear of your injury.

I'm afraid there isn't a binding on the market that has been proven to prevent ACL rupture.
The one variable that seems to be consistently overlooked is what DIN were they set on.

Anecdotal evidence would suggest that many are totally unaware of what their own DIN setting should be.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jonathan Bell wrote:
@Alfiemalfie,
Sorry to hear of your injury.

I'm afraid there isn't a binding on the market that has been proven to prevent ACL rupture.
The one variable that seems to be consistently overlooked is what DIN were they set on.

Anecdotal evidence would suggest that many are totally unaware of what their own DIN setting should be.

that and even the concept of correct forward pressure in a binding
ski holidays
@Alfiemalfie, have you changed your boots since the initial setup of the bindings?
snow report
Your best bet is to get your bindings tested *right now* at a professional ski hire place where they will check the measured DIN rating against what the adjustment dial says. Even if there is a mismatch, I believe the ski manufacturers have more get-out clauses than you can shake a ski pole at.
snow report
In talking with the guide who skied with my in CHamonix and who I plan on using next year, he did suggest we look at loosening the setting on my bindings. Honestly, I don't think it would have mattered in my last accident... my ACL would have been toast either way.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy