Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Roast Chicken

Poster: A snowHead
@BobinCH,
Bloody hell - quite a year for the medics!
Get well soon!!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks! Finally getting a return on years of eye wateringly expensive Swiss medical insurance premiums!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BobinCH wrote:
Double shocker...
There goes the biking season 🤬

Depends on which you want to sacrifice, biking or skiing.

You could wait to October/November to do the shoulder op. You’ll probably miss skiing the busy Christmas/New Year period. But would be ready for skiing when the snow is good. Skiing is less demanding on shoulder function than cycling, which is good. Just don’t fall, or you undo the doctor’s good work
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
abc wrote:
You’ll probably miss skiing the busy Christmas/New Year period.

Heresy 😱😱😱
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Vibes Robin! I know you will be back stronger. Like Terminator I, II and III
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@irbis, thanks! That’s the plan. Lots of 🏋️‍♀️🏋️‍♀️🏋️‍♀️ to do...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Interesting article on continuing training around the injury....

In summary: « So, if you are recovering from an injury and have the option of training around the trauma – do it! Training one limb helps build strength in both.« 

https://www.google.ch/amp/mtntactical.com/research/arm-leg-injury-train-limb-build-strength/amp/

Putting it to the test 🤣

snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@BobinCH,top effort given the shoulder issue. There's a video somewhere on facebook of Marcel Hirscher doing pistol squats with weights while his ankle was in plaster.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@holidayloverxx, was trying to keep the weight of the shoulder but it was smarting... the missus reckons I should be able to do them one handed 🤣 The dilemma is how hard to push. Seeing a Physio next week which will hopefully help with striking the right balance. love to see the Hirscher pic if you’ve got a link to it?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@BobinCH, i might have misremembered...there is a photo of him doing pull ups in cast..or maybe it wasnt on FB.. i bet he could have done it though
Search facebook marcel hirscher and click his photos. It is towards the top of his timeline
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@BobinCH, Are you the living embodiment of Rule5?

Good luck with the rehab.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gordyjh wrote:
@BobinCH, Are you the living embodiment of Rule5?

Good luck with the rehab.

Rule5?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You need to review the rules ...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BobinCH,

Brilliant to get out so soon after the chop.

I did the same as you when I broke my back and had a grade 3 shoulder separation - worked on it. I was slow to get back to climbing and should have pushed more. Not pushed stupid hard but hard enough.

Research says it helps with balance (which lies behind a lot of injuries), muscle bulk (protects joints a lot) and mental approach (a critical issue - ski over-defensively and Sh”t can happen).

But The Rules for my brood are different to The Rules.

Rule 1 is existing Rule 7. Not being stupid helps avoid a lot of grief and problems.

Rule 2 is avoid injury at all cost - push the envelope slowly and remain intact to ski tomorrow (last week ValaisGrom2 was tripped deliberately at school and that’s messed up anything which needs his right wrist, which is improving slowly - we are very fed up). Rule 1 is very connected to Rule 2 - always risk-assess in skiing as in climbing - every move.

Bob I am not saying you were stupid to get injured - I’m just trying to ensure my top Grom stays elite and yet uninjured. This tries to avoid the nonsense of an acquaintance who is a wreck and constantly has huge shunts and massive surgery and yet encourages his young son to push way too far, almost as a justification for his own excess. It’s bad to watch.

Enjoy being back in the meadows and I hope it all improves fast...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

In summary: « So, if you are recovering from an injury and have the option of training around the trauma – do it! Training one limb helps build strength in both.« 

My PT guy, who’s studying for his PhD, said there’s some study report that THINKING about exercise help reduce muscle wasting after surgery! Shocked

In the study he read, patients were ask to mentally “visualize” a session of specific exercise of the limb that were operated on. Compared with thise who don’t do the “mental exercise”, their muscle stay in better shape by the time they start the actual exercise in the gym.
ski holidays
2 week check: doc happy, crutches and brace gone. Walking without limp and ROM stretching the order of the day.

Couldn’t resist a little ride although can’t get past 90 degrees so was a one legged effort!
snow report
4 week check:

Despite getting a DVT on a flight, whoops, the wound has healed up nicely and the swelling has gone down enough to get approx 110 degrees of ROM

And after a couple of warm up rides on the trainer, finally out on the road bike. Got beasted by the girls on the hills but great to be out!
ski holidays
....and this is the carrot to get it strong for next season https://www.flory-kern.de/movies
ski holidays
@BobinCH,
Good job on your legs, hope your DVT clears up.
ski holidays
@BobinCH, out of interest did you wear compression tights on the flight? Sounds like the healing is going well!
snow report
@kitenski, yep had a DVT 10 years ago so have a full length compression sock - think Nora Batty 🤣 - that I wear on longer flights. Alas seems that the knee swelling complicated things. Now on blood thinners for 3 months... About to get on another flight so hope they work!!!
snow report
Top work lad. Knee looks great.
snow report
I was put on the thinners for life when I got a second DVT, must admit I have had a prescription for compression stockings and completely forgotten about them.
latest report
T Bar wrote:
I was put on the thinners for life when I got a second DVT, must admit I have had a prescription for compression stockings and completely forgotten about them.

The pills i’m on (Xarelto) apparently have no antidote so they tell you to be very careful to avoid injuries - particularly anything where you hit your head. Definitely don’t want to be on these for long!
snow conditions
@BobinCH, yes, many folks in the UK still decide to take warfarin instead, despite the pain in the butt of regular blood testing, just because there is a readily available antidote available.
snow conditions
yes, take care when zipping up wink
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

Haha it’s the mountain biking I’m worried about!

Apparently it only stays in your system for 24 hours so stopping the pills on Friday, start again on Sunday might work....?
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
T Bar wrote:

The pills i’m on (Xarelto) apparently have no antidote so they tell you to be very careful to avoid injuries - particularly anything where you hit your head. Definitely don’t want to be on these for long!

Yeah the stuff I'm on is the same with no antidote but I'm not sure what the actual risk is long term in terms on injuries, I've vaguely tried to google studies and there doesn't seem to be much of an evidence basis for any recommendation.
The actual dose seems to be pretty low long term, I'm on a quarter of my initial dose and no one seems to suggest stopping activities if you're on stuff like aspirin or brufen.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BobinCH wrote:
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

Haha it’s the mountain biking I’m worried about!

Apparently it only stays in your system for 24 hours so stopping the pills on Friday, start again on Sunday might work....?

My mum is on rivaroxoban (which when I googled to find out how to spell it, I see is the generic name) - when she's had to go in for day surgery, they just have her stop it on the day. When she was prescribed it, this was the big advantage they cited over warfarin, as it clears the system so quickly (she's 90 with a bit of arrhythmia, so slightly different situation ...)

I'm not a doctor etc etc.
ski holidays
8 week update: knee coming along nicely. Almost full ROM back. Doing lots of squats, hamstring curls and deadlifts. Legs feel strong. Still a bit of swelling after exercise so continue to use ice. Physio recommended massaging and moving the patella to remove scar tissue. Feels a bit weird but seems to loosen it up. First time out on Verbier’s downhill trails today... was careful not to fall. It was bloody great 😜
snow conditions
@BobinCH, Sounds like you've put in the graft. Well done, reaping the rewards now.
latest report
Stunning day in the mountains. Took the little one out for a ride...

Hardcore 🤣

Trails in good nick. Top lift opens at the weekend and the new via ferrata. Looks like there’s still enough snow to ski up top!
snow report
Oh dear. Apple 🍏 to go with the chicken 😬

snow report
I love the way this thread is turning into "guess the body part". Maybe put some ice on whatever that is? Heal up soon.
snow report
@gorilla, right ankle?

@BobinCH, how did you do that one?!
snow conditions
@BobinCH,
Hope you're OK mate seem to remember you had surgery before the knee, hope it's nothing to do with that.
snow report
Gämsbock wrote:
@gorilla, right ankle?

@BobinCH, how did you do that one?!

Alas yes. One of the ligaments snapped 😬. Mountain bike fall on the downhill trails and landed awkwardly on it. On crutches for 3 weeks. Really enjoyed the mtn biking while it lasted mind...
ski holidays
@BobinCH,
Only just seen this thread. This isn't right. I was enticed to look at first by the title. It didn't say "gut churning picture of the sort that has always made Hammondo hurl". The Under 18's and the non medically trained could accidentally view this stuff.

To think, I was only a poor forecast away from a bumper day in Chamonix with you on the 31st April. Good grief man.

Then the picture at the end. Oh my lord.

Get your self right and slow down a bit.
snow report
@BobinCH, Sad Sad
snow conditions
Quote:

One of the ligaments snapped

Ouchy. Heal up quick.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy