Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Washing boot liners

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

My boot liners get pretty sweaty and so are now rather stinky, are they safe to wash? Can I just put them in the washing machine on a delicate setting or just handwash?

cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@fredbob, ..er...stinky liners are the result of bacteria and fungus and bacteria and fungus love ... warm and damp environments. To upset them mightily rather than further stimulating them, you have to wash above 50deg C.

This will ruin your liners.

However, bacteria and fungus hate nasty toxic anti-fungal powder. So we use the following simple remedy.

1 buy a container of anti-athletes-foot-powder
2 get a large plastic bag
3 tip a quite sizeable amount of powder into liners
4 place liner in large plastic bag, shake like billy-oh
5 leave to settle for a few hours - then repeat
6 leave to settle, remove liner

done - and far easier than washing. And unlike washing, it works.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Also drying your liners thoroughly will help, both before storage and overnight when on holiday/immediately after use.

Various liner drying solutions: take liner out put on low temp heater overnight, electric boot dryers, heated boot rack, sock full of bicarb, desiccated silica bags etc.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@valais2, not quite sure how dry powder penetrates liner foam?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@under a new name, ...well, if it’s closed cell synthetic foam (which it nearly always is) then the bacteria and fungus won’t get in the cells, they will just be festering on the surface. And a very fine powder like talc will get almost into any fabric as far as water will, given a bit of kinetic energy like a dammm good shake in a bag. The thing is ... it works for us, and better than washing...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@valais2, ahhh.

Have you tried a controlled test of just drying them well and leaving them for the summer?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, ...that's the approach, I am sure ... I have never had a problem with my boots, since I dry the liners every day - I break rule 3001-4 and take the liners out and stick them on the radiator. I have frostbite damage on one foot and so like my boots looooose. Thermal moulded liners? Nope, never bother with that malarky.

Our routine: helmets, goggles, gloves, packs and boots out of the car and up to the chalet. I say '...kids can you please take your liners out and put your gloves on the radiator...'. An hour later '...kids can you please take your liners out and put your gloves on the radiator...'. An hour after that, I can see the gloves are on the radiator, but nothing else, so it's usually me who pulls the liners out and sorts the drying. But Valaisgrom2 is beginning to get into the swing of it too, and he can now haul my liners out despite the tenacious nature of Lange plastic...

But ... had some secondhand ski and snowboard boots for the valaisgroms (thanks JP) and boy did they stink after a couple of days. Previous users had not been so careful as we in drying them out each evening. So now I always treat any hand-me-downs we get for them using the powder method.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@valais2, great tip re: athletes’ foot powder. I religiously take my liners out of the shells every day I ski (50+ days this year). I leave them outside in the sun for hours on end in the summer. I keep them well aired when not skiing. Bought a whole wardrobe of brand new socks to go with my recently replaced liners. Fresh socks every day.

The liners still stink (and so do my new socks)!

Bought some Dr Scholl’s aerosol foot powder in the strength of this thread. Put it in my boots last night when we got back from skiing....Magic! Fresh boots! I cannot believe I didn’t know about this before now.

Thanks for the tip.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Try Gran's Remedy. Works brilliantly on any stinky footwear. Regularly bring my hiking boots back to life with it, which get real stinky/wet/muddy/covered in blood etc etc

It's genuinely awesome stuff. Looks like you can get it in the UK. Just chuck a spoonful in your boots, give them a good shake and leave it for a few days.

https://www.sanza.co.uk/Grans_Remedy_Scented.asp
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
i just got some atheletes foot powder today so will be giving it a go later, cheers
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@valais2, great tip. Thanks for sharing!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I washed a set of liners on a pretty new pair of Burton Ambush just before selling a few years ago. Did it gently by hand in warm water/detergent and the lining separated slightly from the foam down near the heal section.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There are several liquid type anti-bacterial treatments, I use my missus' sheepskin boot stuff. Tip it in liners with a drop of water leave to soak, chuck 'em in washing machine at 60deg (.... no, I've never had a problem) and hey presto.

Done it like this for years, no problems, but usual internet advice caveats apply.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I hand wash them a couple of times a season in slightly warm water and some Zoflora disinfectant concentrate. Works a treat and they make some nice fragrances. I am sure this is much appreciated by others when touring 😀

I do put boot warmers in where possible every night when they have been used, to make sure they are dry for the next day.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Late response but hopefully worth sharing: cut feet of wife's stockings (or your own)......preferably old laddered ones in order to avoid marital disputes....fill with bicarb of soda and tie off. Insert into offending footwear and leave to absorb odours.
ski holidays
My Salomon liners say they can be washed at 30°C. I was going to give it a try to see if they get any of their original shape back as they've packed out so much they're not even close to fitting.

I'd be wary of washing liners if you have comfy well fitting boots.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy