Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2018/2019 (May 16th Perfect Conditions)

Poster: A snowHead
I can see the point in heliskiing something that you can't reach with touring skis within a resonable amount of time but little point in heli-skiing something you could do on a one day ski tour.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, Täli is local dialect for (a smaller) Tal. It shows the Swiss influence in Vorarlberg
From Orgelscharte (keep the 'c' please...) you go into Schneetäli
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@DB, +1 but you see many of the people that do it and they aren’t going to be putting themselves out for nobody, time is money etc! For them I guess the cost is not a consideration but the kudos to say to their buddies at the polo, sailing or tennis club that they’ve heli-skied in the Arlberg and got that all important photo must be a big thing.....as is their latest Bogner ski suit and the £50k watch! 😂
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@DB, following your line of reasoning, I'm assuming you don't use lifts either?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Langerzug, I don't recall seeing a ski lift up either Orgelsharte or Mehlsack, is that a new thing? wink

Only messing - cant see the point personally, however it keeps Wucher in business so it must be a good thing for those guys.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Langerzug wrote:
@DB, following your line of reasoning, I'm assuming you don't use lifts either?

If there's enough snow to tour I'm normally ski touring. Most of my piste skiing is limited to the start of the season. Will use lifts while freeriding in St Anton or other resorts when the powder is too good to miss.
How many lift rides equate to a heli drop in terms of energy / environmental damage?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Do you still need to pay a guide to go up the Valluga lift? If so that heliski price is probably not much more!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Guides cost around €130/day in a group
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@BobinCH, Only the top part.....you can boot-pack it though if you're fit enough (i'm not)!

Heli doesn't drop on Valluga though....
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes here's the boot up, I want to skin up Valluga one day.

http://youtube.com/v/lr__Snx2ja0
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

http://youtube.com/v/4Utli1I8lNs&t=302s definitely need to be pretty fit, would have thought an ice axe sensible on the climb though perhaps that is rather old fashioned these days.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Valluga North Face with Torben Gregerson and Clarky999 plus others a few years ago, enjoyed it and would like to do it again sometime, squeeky-bum first 8-10 turns then its all downhill from there Laughing ......when we looked back up from the shoulder and saw why he had said "you dont want to be falling here" and we saw the exposure above the cliffs below its clear to see why! What a day......if you are reading this from Thailand Torben, thanks again!

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 13-11-18 16:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Markymark29,
First time I did it the guide also said "you don't want to fall here", in all the squeeky bum excitement I forgot to switch one touring boot from walk to ski mode and fell over on a bump. Embarassed

The guide was looking at me like [facepalm] "you had one job" (and you blew it) [/facepalm].
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DB, Ha..... once did same going down Schoengraben! rolling eyes
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@DB, To build the lift you (and I) just use few times, it needs the masses of which we are all a part....We are all guilty. Cool
latest report
Langerzug wrote:
@DB, To build the lift you (and I) just use few times, it needs the masses of which we are all a part....We are all guilty. Cool

Yes I never tried to say I wasn't to some extent guilty too although energy for lifts in Austria comes mainly from hydro power. More and more electricity is coming from renewables too, maybe one day helicopters will be all electric from renewable sources. To be honest I'd be all for less lifts so it left more powder slopes for me while ski touring. snowHead
latest report
Valluga is a well overrated run.

Fairly steep for a few turns. And then practically a bunny run for the rest of the way down.
snow report
So that's where it is, thank you, die Scharte my favourate false friend german word.

less lifts! I think they've taken all the lifts out of Pettneu. May even hike that myself this winter.
snow conditions
hsdee wrote:
So that's where it is, thank you, die Scharte my favourate false friend german word.

less lifts! I think they've taken all the lifts out of Pettneu. May even hike that myself this winter.

Watch out for wolves if you do!

No really - last time I skinned up Pettneu we came across this lost boy and had to coax him down with Jägerwurst!

snow conditions
Markymark29 wrote:
@BobinCH, Only the top part.....you can boot-pack it though if you're fit enough (i'm not)!

Heli doesn't drop on Valluga though....

Yep we did both the lift and bootpack a few years back. I thought the West face was a nice route, better than the somewhat disjointed North face. But couldn’t get over the total con of forcing people to take a guide to ride a lift!!!
snow conditions
Less Lifts, NO Helicopters.

Stop the Brutal Grooming..

Earn your Turns ... Hike/Skin up !
ski holidays
Finally a glimpse of some colder temperatures but only in about 10-12 days time..
ski holidays
Boasting about skitouring/complaining about ski lifts and grooming, in the forum of the largest connected skiresort of Austria is pathetic.
snow report
Snowmaking might start this weekend (at night), or early next week
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/xIvrvYkXhWQ
latest report
@Langerzug, Yes it seems that next week will be a lot cooler with a possibility (no more than that) of small amounts of the white stuff falling out of the sky. Certainly an improvement (from a winter sports perspective) on the current weather.
snow conditions
Langerzug wrote:
Boasting about skitouring/complaining about ski lifts and grooming, in the forum of the largest connected skiresort of Austria is pathetic.

Lets get it Un-Connected..
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
Less Lifts, NO Helicopters.

Stop the Brutal Grooming..

Earn your Turns ... Hike/Skin up !

Need more helos. Search out the powda.

Hiking and skinning are for loners with no friends wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Aha @Whitegold, @stanton....nice couple.... rolling eyes
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
Need more helos. Search out the powda.

Helicopter Skiing Will be History in Austria soon. Sooner the better ..

Its banned in France ( Iknow the loopholes are possible)
Banned in Germany
The Swiss want it Banned
ski holidays
@clarky999, haha how did it get so far from home, definately one for the winter, can't believe i never went up there even when it did have lifts.
snow report
Langerzug wrote:

Let's not forget what makes St Anton so great is the mountains and snow it receives, the lifts and grooming came later as a way to make money.
Anything near the lifts generally gets tracked out in minutes anyway, the best of St Anton is the backcountry and there's nothing pathetic about being able to self propel-yourself up high mountains at an advanced state of young age to get to the parts of the Arlberg other lifts cannot reach. snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/Khk8CnsfEvA
snow report
Langerzug wrote:

If folks want Groomed Carpet there are plenty of Massive Ski Areas in Austria to do this.

St Anton am Arlberg is a special place and should not become another Ischgl ... Ischgl in the 70/80's was an Off Piste Paradise even then with a very good lift system.. Somewhere along the line they lost it ...and constructed lifts to every possible Peak they could possibly get to and then the buldozed the mountain to facilitate pistes.& later snow cannons . Lift served Off Piste is VERY limited now.

St Anton should keep its Unique lift serviced Off-Piste (300Km). Not construct anymore lifts which will eventually lead to Pistes being carved into Malfontal etc.

http://youtube.com/v/PwO-w3YZ_XY
snow report
Temperatures are starting to drop and they're firing up some of the snow canons.
latest report
All of St.Anton's infrastructure (apres-ski, restaurants, shops, ski schools, skiguides etc etc) is related to mass ski-tourism, which is related to lifts. And the Arlberg-railway by the way, the first 'lift' which started everything.
There are much better places for ski-touring. Real ski-touring. When ski-touring at Arlberg you are part of, and are using the mass-infrastructure. Fine with me, but don't act as if you could do without it, as if you are some wild cowboy or something like that. You are not, you are part of the touristic masses. Very much so.
latest report
Langerzug wrote:
All of St.Anton's infrastructure (apres-ski, restaurants, shops, ski schools, skiguides etc etc) is related to mass ski-tourism, which is related to lifts. And the Arlberg-railway by the way, the first 'lift' which started everything.
There are much better places for ski-touring. Real ski-touring. When ski-touring at Arlberg you are part of, and are using the mass-infrastructure. Fine with me, but don't act as if you could do without it, as if you are some wild cowboy or something like that. You are not, you are part of the touristic masses. Very much so.

You don't seriously think I would ski tour the Arlberg's big peaks while the lifts are running do you?

As for acting like a cowboy .....
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2519683&highlight=wildspitze#2519683
snow conditions
@DB, no cows anywhere in that thread.
ski holidays
Here's a clip about Lech & Zurs y'all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=510&v=JFzCWrNHe50
snow report
stanton wrote:

Less Lifts...Earn your Turns ... Hike/Skin up !

stanton wrote:

St Anton should keep its Unique lift serviced Off-Piste

Hmm, somewhat inconsistent views here
latest report
@dsoutar,

You can actually combine them.

e.g. this tour goes from the top of the Albonagrat lift in Stuben. You can either boot up to Maroikopf @ circa 2500m or skin further up to Kaltenberg @ 2896m (almost 100m higher than the Valluga) then ski down to langen through the forrest. More chance of fresh tracks if you skin up to Kaltenberg.

https://www.outdooractive.com/de/skitour/verwall-gruppe/stuben-kaltenberg-und-bettlerkar/22017875/#dm=1

https://www.outdooractive.com/de/skitour/verwall-gruppe/stuben-kaltenberg-und-bettlerkar/22017875/#

http://youtube.com/v/mxM5Yf_nzR0
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy