Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter Olympics 2018 - Pyeongchang

Poster: A snowHead
galpinos wrote:
Chancer. Neither "a legend" nor "aspirational" in my eyes.

But she's competed in the Olympics which is more than most can say. Got to be in it to win it...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow. GB v Canada. Extra lemsip at the ready. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ray Zorro wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asia-43132423/winter-olympics-is-skier-elizabeth-swaney-a-legend-or-a-chancer

Legend or chancer?

Legend.

She set her stall out to get there, competed in world cup events and succeeded in what she wanted to do.

If the system allowed it to happen can't blame her.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@The Flying Snowplough, fair enough, but when 'amateur hour' competitors cause the bar for entry for more legitimate competitors to be raised by both IoC and national Olympic committees, that results in less inclusion. Look at Zoe Gillings being excluded from Sochi, and arguably delayed womens ski jump being included.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Legend IMV - the backstory of how singleminded she has been in becoming an Olympian is fairly cool. The other athletes seem happy with it - if we accept Eddie the Eagle as a legend why not someone who has globetrotted her way to a place based on savvy and determination and probably a lot of waitressing jobs (despite a CalTeh degree and Harvard Masters)

https://sports.yahoo.com/liz-swaney-worst-olympian-actually-might-best-012747577.html
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think Elizabeth Swaney is more legend than chancer. She went to the qualifying events and just didn't fall over and stuck every landing. Sounds a reasonable tactic to me
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
She barely cleared the coping. What's the point of qualifying if you don't even put in an effort when you finally make it onto the big stage? Most blue/red one week a year skiers could easily put in a run equal or superior to her display if they trained in the pipe for a week or two.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
moody_git wrote:
Most blue/red one week a year skiers could easily put in a run equal or superior to her display if they trained in the pipe for a week or two.

Maybe they could, but they didn't.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And they won't, because that door will be closed and we won't be subjected to a narcissist's half-arsed Olympic pipe run ever again. Fortunately.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
moody_git wrote:
She barely cleared the coping. What's the point of qualifying if you don't even put in an effort when you finally make it onto the big stage? Most blue/red one week a year skiers could easily put in a run equal or superior to her display if they trained in the pipe for a week or two.

Have you ever been in an Olympic sized superpipe - there's a reason most blue run hero hotshots don't make it halfway up the walls.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Big day tomorrow for Dave ‘the rocket’ Ryding - it’s a long shot but fingers crossed!

00:30-02:15: Snowboarding - women's big air finals
01:15-03:10 & 04:45-06:40: Alpine skiing - men's slalom
02:30-03:55 & 06:00-07:15: Alpine skiing - women's alpine combined
11:15-12:45: Biathlon - women's 4x6km relay
02:30-04:00: Freestyle skiing - men's ski halfpipe finals
04:10-07:00: Ice hockey - women's gold medal final
Nordic combined - men's team large hill (07:30-08:10) and team 4x5km (10:20-11:20)
11:18-11:23: Short track speed skating - men's 500m final
11:30-11:47: Short track speed skating - women's 1,000m final
12:03-12:16: Short track speed skating - men's 5,000m relay final
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
moody_git wrote:

Have you ever been in an Olympic sized superpipe - there's a reason most blue run hero hotshots don't make it halfway up the walls.

I have and it was terrifying! I think I’d handle it better now (I’m a bit better skier), but I wouldn’t be jumping.

The ski cross course looked fairly extreme too, although I prefer to watch narrower tighter courses with closer racing.

Re: Funding. Quoting £ to number of athletes at the Olympics isn’t really the point. Money is given to the sport not the athletes. It’s up to the sport to spend that money accordingly. A portion of that will be set aside to current athletes and that Olympic cycle. A good chunk should be spent by the sport in spotting, developing and nurturing talent including developing grass roots opportunities. It could be argued that speed skating is a lot more accessible to more children than snowsports due to the number of ice rinks and how affordable they are for use.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Miss a couple of days and so many ideas.

re funding, some serious questions to be asked, especially interested to know how they spent £5.6m on curling...???

re Elizabath Swaney, seriously, if all you need is enough money to get to all the qualifying events (and a family tree with a few countries on it...she previously tried to qualify with Venezuela for Sochi), then put down a lame attempt in the pipe that any half-decent skier could match. I'm not on her side with this one.

You can get all Jim and my views on this in the last couple of 10-minute mini-podcasts:
https://soundcloud.com/knowledge-is-powder-ski-podcast/daily-winter-olympic-special-day-13
https://soundcloud.com/knowledge-is-powder-ski-podcast/daily-winter-olympic-special-day-12

Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Flying Snowplough wrote:
galpinos wrote:

But she's competed in the Olympics which is more than most can say. Got to be in it to win it...

I think there as positive traits that have lead to her getting to South Korea but she appears to just be obsessed about being an Olympian, not being the best she can be in a sport she loves. I'd have preferred her to have tried some tricks and failed, than just "put down two runs" in the manner that she did.

I'm sure there are many talented half pipe skiers with neither the funds nor the family tree at her disposal who hadn't managed to get there.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
moody_git wrote:

Agreed. There is a 22ft half-pipe at Laax, and a bar nearby where one can watch the average joe attempt to ride it (see: https://www.laax.com/en/info/laax-stories/halfpipelaax). Most don't send it and, instead, decide to ride side to side down the middle. Sometimes a boarder or skier goes for it and they barely clear the coping. On the rare occasion the bar is treated to a rider who can not only clear the coping but do tricks. It's harder than it looks.
ski holidays
@galpinos,
Quote:

I'd have preferred her to have tried some tricks and failed, than just "put down two runs" in the manner that she did.
Fully agree.

Quote:

she appears to just be obsessed about being an Olympian, not being the best she can be in a sport she loves.
Agree about 'being an Olympian' but I'm not sure that 'being the best you can' quite sums up the Olympic ideal.

Quote:
Then again, the man who coined that motto, Baron Pierre de Coubertin, also came out with the following famous line: "The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not winning but taking part; the essential thing in life is not conquering but fighting well."

Of course athletes want to win, but they should want to compete just as much and they should want to do so as a representative of their country, not as an individual.
latest report
chivdog wrote:
moody_git wrote:

Agreed. There is a 22ft half-pipe at Laax, and a bar nearby where one can watch the average joe attempt to ride it (see: https://www.laax.com/en/info/laax-stories/halfpipelaax).

It's great - that and piste P60 keep all the park rats off in one place and leave the rest of the mountain for the rest of us Wink
latest report
moody_git wrote:

Yes I have, yes I can clear the coping and so could any mediocre skier like myself if they put some time into it. She's only bringing women's sport down to the level that gentlemen of a certain age with dodgy moustaches would approve of (such as baron de Courbertain, who didn't approve of women participating in sport)
ski holidays
So, seeing as we fund curling a lot, and we have medal chances in all 3 events, we should presumably be looking for the next generation?
So where can you go to try out Curling, or join a club!
Scotland, or Tunbridge Wells apparently.
For a sport you don’t need weather for.

Seems odd bearing in mind it’s 20 years nearly since we won the gold
snow conditions
I don’t often say this but....Come On Germany!!

(Poor blighters will probably lose on penalties in the next round)

Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Ester Ledecka is just incredible!!!!!
snow report
Congratulations to Billy Morgan on his Big Air Bronze Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Handy Turnip wrote:
Ester Ledecka is just incredible!!!!!
yep. Respect!
ski holidays
Going back a few days, Marie Dorin (who retires after the Olympics) couldn't be removed from the podium she was so happy, much to the amusement of her friends and colleagues and the bemusement of the koreans

latest report
The Flying Snowplough wrote:
galpinos wrote:

That stretches the definition of competing. If I had a grandparent from Chad or Nepal or somewhere I could scull at the Olympics, but there'd be little dignity in being overtaken by the umpire's launch.
ski holidays
chrisdavis wrote:

That stretches the definition of competing. If I had a grandparent from Chad or Nepal or somewhere I could scull at the Olympics, but there'd be little dignity in being overtaken by the umpire's launch.

If you are any good you could find a country to give you a passport, no questions asked, like that third world banana republic did with Zola Budd.
ski holidays
Well I've really enjoyed these olympic games. So many talented athletes from first timers to experienced veterans.
My favourite highlight has to be Lizzy retaining her gold medal, but other highlights for me include the brilliance of Marit Bjørgen, Ester Ledecká, Johannes Thingnes Bø, Shaun White, the USA ladies cross country sprint team and the South Korean ladies curling team.
Roll on 2022!
latest report
So, someone tell me about OARplease

Just watching the ice hockey, and the OAR team play in Red, and supported by people waving Russia flags
fair enough, they are the supporters

More of interest, who are the coaches amp administrators of the OAR athletes? Who picks a team and manages a team of individual OAR athletes who are no representing Russia?

I can’t get my head around how someone generates a whole load of administrators, coaches, managers at short notice who were not part of the Russian sports machine?

How does this work?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There may well be a lot of people in countries other than Russia that fulfil the roles in the team (also note they can be from any country as well!)

The basis of OAR is there is a number of Russian athletes who compete in western competitions and go through all the rigorous testing that all other countries athletes have and thus should have the right to go and compete.
The problem athletes are the ones who don't compete much out of Russia so can plan the drug taking carefully to avoid being caught. They then turn up at the olympics having having had all the benefits of being able to train using drugs. Those are the ones who have been banned and not able to complete under OAR.
snow conditions
I thought it was a bit daft they were even thinking of allowing the OAR athletes to parade under the Russian flag. It would have defeated the object of the whole ban. In addition, I think they should probably have competed as ‘Independent Olympians’ and dropped the ‘from Russia’ bit.
ski holidays
@foxtrotzulu, agreed, it made it a national block and I thought the point of the ban was to exclude a national block that had been aided by that nation's chemical machine.
snow conditions
@eng_ch, I’m in Russia at the moment and everyone is very pleased that Russia won the ice hockey. They don’t seem remotely bothered that the Russian team just happens to have the words ‘Olympic Athletes from’ as a prefix. Yet another incidence of compromise being sub-optimal.
ski holidays
Just occurs to me if there is institutional doping, then it is the administrators / coaches type of roles that are making it happen.

Seems odd that those kind of roles are still there at the olympics
snow conditions
handbag wrote:
the USA ladies cross country sprint team

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy