Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help my sleepless nights..... New Skis!!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Morning troops,

I’m in the market for some new skis and it’s keeping me awake at night!! 😊

I’m a good solid intermediate skier and now dabbling with bits of off piste and looking at more powder type skiing, whilst not ignoring the good old groomers.....so in my mind I need a good all rounder.

Options so far are:

Line Sick Day 94mm
Head Kore 93mm
Faction Dictator 2.0 (95mm)
Volkl 90eight

.....and as a bit of a curve ball the Nix Sentinel 95mm

Any comments good or bad on the above are welcome!!!

Thanks all!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My initial thought is that you are probably looking at skis a bit wider and more true "all mountain" than you almost certainly need as an intermediate. While they work pretty well on groomers, they need more input to carve compared to something more piste oriented, especially on firm pistes. However, they will make your off-piste skiing somewhat easier. If you drop down to "all mountain" skis in the 80-85 mm range you will serve yourself better in progressing your technique on groomers, which in itself will improve your off-piste skiing anyway.

So I would consider skis like the new Nordica Navigator 80/85, K2 iKonic 80/84, Salomon XDR 84. All still pretty capable off-piste machines while effortlessly ripping the groomers.

I do currently ski the Volkl 90Eight as my all-round ski and it's great in most conditions both on and off piste, but I'm an advanced/expert skier and comfortable tipping it on edge. It's actually a very easy "wide" ski to get up on edge, but whenever I've seen intermediates on this ski they just tend to slide around on it - which it's more than happy to do. I've also got a much narrower piste ripper which is far easier to carve on a hard piste. So really depends on your skiing aspirations.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I agree with the above, but if you do decide to go wider, the Sick Day is a very easygoing ski that likes everything except very hardpacked snow and ice. At least the old 95s are like that, though they say it's been totally redesigned... Based on my experience, as a first 'off piste' ski, it will treat you well. And you have the benefit of the awesome base graphics!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
worth demoing the head kore 93 if you can , heard very good things about this ski , light and very easy to handle on and off piste , but as @uktrailmonster says your list is truly all mountain and these tend to lend themselves more to all variable conditions and terrain found off piste , another one for your list would be blizzard brahma
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Brilliant feedback, thank you folks.

I'm trying to get some head Kore's on test this weekend, but apparently the UK stock has ravaged?!

I'll also see if i can look at maybe a narrower ski.

I'll check out the suggestions and see if i can get to demo any.

Ta!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
After demo'ing the Head Kore and Blizzard Brhama......i am now the proud owner of the Brahama!! Smile

Now lets get to the resort!!!

Cheers folks!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
excellent ski, have fun
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That's a very solid choice of do-it-all ski. A ski you can really grow into, both on and off piste.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ninja_dave, what made you go for the Brahma over the Kore? And how heavy are you? I'm struggling to find the Kore to demo anywhere; tried the Brahma at half term and it was too stiff for me but I'm a 65kg weakling so that's maybe not a surprise.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy