Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Balaclava advice

Poster: A snowHead
Looking to purchase a balaclava for a ski trip in a few weeks. It will be worn under a helmet and would preferably want mouth and nose covered but with good ventilation.

Can anyone suggest a good make/brand/model??
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've used the brand 'turtle fur' for years. Good quality and work well but fold away to nothing to carry in a pocket.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@robboj - I'll have a quick search now, thanks.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Look at Airhole. I don't have a full balaclava but have neck warmer \ air tube. I also carry a light merino beanie if I want full protection. I prefer being able to split tip and bottom warmth. Airhole do make full balaclava's though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Loads on sport pursuit between £6 and £35
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the replies! I have a polar buff, that can be manipulated into a balaclava style but I wanted to make sure I had another option (that should be warmer).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I tried airhole but found that God seems to have installed my mouth incorrectly. Didn't work for me. I do have a half-face neoprene mask but have never needed it in anger so far. If I need something more I'd probably go for a three-hole ski mask. Plenty on amazon.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
https://www.aldi.co.uk/inoc-merino-black-ski-balaclava/p/079054189102003
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I find the mountain hardwear windstopper balaclava to give good coverage and you can fold the top back if you just want nose and mouth coverage.

The windstopper fabric on the front is great at stopping the windchill, but with holes for nose and mouth so you don't wet the material out, it has thin lightweight material over the ears so you can hear ok and and the rest is a kind of breathable and wicking thin fleece that keeps you warm but allows the heat and sweat to flow out.

Obviously I only wear this if its F. cold as its very warm under a helmet.

snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What goggles do you have?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Mosha Marc - I have Dirty Dog mutant 2.0's. Not the greatest but tend to wear sunglasses unless its blowing a gale!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Like a lot if outdoor gear, depends on what you want it for. Full heavy very windproof type (great in really severe conditions and on motorbike) or just to keep face warm ( how warm?) or to stop it getting cut to ribbons by ice or...???
I have a very nice and very light and thus tiny (to stuff in pocket) full face stretch balaclava which I got for a few £s in Decathlon. I also have a selection of different weight fleece ones, neoprene wraparound mouth/chin ones (Decathlon also do), and a load of different weight buffs. Also got some lighter ones from Aldi and some expensive heavy weight ones (stiffer material) from both Aldi and elsewhere. I use different ones according to conditions; usually take at least 2 on any outing (ski or mountain on foot).
Never paid much for them, often bought off EBay or from Poundstretcher type shops/markets.
Personally, I'd not spend much until you've found out how you get on with them. I find different ventilation issues with each type. The thicker the material, the harder to breathe through - or you end up having to have exposed nose bits somewhere. And some fog up glasses or goggles more than others too, or feel less comfy with them. Also (I have a very small head and face) I find that not all fit me very well; some are wider at the eye or longer or... Whatever.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Roscoe, the Bula products look good when I’ve looked at them in the stores
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
airhole balaclava
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dissent.

https://www.dissentlabs.com/collections/all/products/milspec-balaclava

nose and mouth covered, comfy and somehow no freezing around the mouth.

Recommend trying their Nano Tour sock also - most excellent, but the compression does mean you need to turn inside out and take abit of tme and effort to put on.
https://www.newschoolers.com/reviews/4166/Ski-Pro-Fit-Compression-Nano-Tour
ski holidays
@coops1967 - Can you get the Dissent balaclava's in the UK? A quick google search doesn't return anything?
latest report
I use one of these - Mons Royale bucket hat, don't usually bother with a helmet, works real well for comfortable face protection and keeps the sun and snow out.

Its a bit different Very Happy

snow report
Though I gather that the police are not implementing it there is a law in France that makes wearing a balaclava illegal
ski holidays
hang11 wrote:
I use one of these - Mons Royale bucket hat, don't usually bother with a helmet, works real well for comfortable face protection and keeps the sun and snow out.

Its a bit different Very Happy

...also useful for keeping those devilish alpine Snow Bees out. Toofy Grin
snow report
Laughing Laughing That also crossed my mind!
snow report
Roscoe wrote:
@coops1967 - Can you get the Dissent balaclava's in the UK? A quick google search doesn't return anything?

Not sure... but doubtful - it's a Canadian thing... so if you're in Whistler no problem. wink ( and you certainly can't get them in Bangkok!)

The balaclava is great - i stuff it in a pocket now anyway, just in case as it's so light etc.

The best option is order over t'interent for delivery to home... and while you're about it, you 'may as well' try out the nano tour sock - t'is excellent, and i've used them for work on oil rigs and haven't worn out a pair yet. ( I did suffer a DVT after a long flight, so they are also good for that and flights also... they really are medical grade compression from my experiences, just not the full length hip high compression 'sock' nightmare...)

Not had to use it just now.. post drilling job ski at Shizukuishi, Japan.
Not too crowded... NehNeh

snow report
I also use one of these which works great with a helmet - although I take the liner out of my helmet when I wear it. Doesnt have too many fogging/freezing issues. Fairly warm windstopper and lycra - Outdoor Research sonic. They also do one with a removable face mask - the Gorilla

But I prefer my bucket hat Very Happy

ski holidays
I'm with you on the Outdoor Research balaclava's, I use their Ninjaclava when conditions require it. It's designed so that you can pull down the nose/mouth covering without removing the whole thing, making it perfect when in resort on a cold day.
snow report
I've used a Lowe Alpine with brushed fleece inside for about 20 years. It can be rolled up into a hat for hiking or used as a neck warmer only. Found it essential for snowy or windy days on exposed chairlift when skiing.
snow report
Mr P has a Mons Royale one which is quite nifty, click through the photos for the full features.
http://store-eu.monsroyale.com/cabrio-balaclava-itallica-unisex?color=1...
snow report
I think I might go for a cheapy from ebay to make sure I get on with one at first. All good suggestions but seems silly spending £30-£40 on something that might not see the light of day if I dont find it comfy.
snow conditions
I keep a thin windproof one in my back but have never needed it yet. Handy to have though as it only weighs grams and if caught up in a really bad storm it may be damn useful.
ski holidays
Plenty of pistachios and butter.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@tiffin - ??? Puzzled
snow report
tiffin, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy