Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on Ski jacket (old spyder v new budget)

Poster: A snowHead
Morning Snowheads!

I am an intermediate skier who goes on roughly 2 trips a year and I am looking to get some new clothing as I have always rented or borrowed in the past.

My question is...

I have found an older spyder ski jacket (4 years old) which is advertised as in great condition. It has supposedly only been used for 4 weeks in total over those 4 years and is for sale at £100...

Do I risk buying this as I know it is a reputable brand and the jacket looks like it has no problems, and hope that it will last me at least another 2 years, or should I spend the £100 on a more 'budget friendly' brand such as Dare2B and get a brand new jacket?

I would love any responses!

Thanks in advance,
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd buy a used eider jacket off eBay, I think the older spyder jackets were good quality but rather dated now. Eider or salomon will get you a modern quality jacket for that kind of price or less.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sport pursuit will get you a new spyder jacket at 2nd hand prices, or a n other decent brand.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I bought one from there last year, and recently sold it for a price slightly over half what I paid for it, you certainly can't buy a new spyder for the budget mentioned.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah you are still talking roughly 200 pound for a spyder or something similar... the two brands that are coming up for 80-100 are 'Carra' and 'Hyra'...

What would your thoughts be on something like this... https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/991429 ?

@t4tomo, @Roguevfr,
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@JGSKI, Beware of fake Spyder on eBay and the like. If its s genuine private seller then ok but google 'how to avoid spyder fakes' as spyder jackets are amongst the most copied of the ski brands and various websites will tell you how to spot it, including eBay themselves. Ask the seller what model it is and where it was bought etc and then try and verify that with some online research.

My Spyder is 4 years old, is genuinely only worn skiing and is in great condition with maybe 8 weeks of use in its life. If you can satisfy yourself that what you've found is the genuine article and has been treated the same then I'd have it before a new budget jacket every time.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My daughter's dare 2b was wrecked after about 10 uses. The outer fabric was just too thin to be put through the abuse of carrying skis (accross the front as kids do). And the fabric stained very easily, black marks unter the arms, who knows what from. So be careful with them Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've seen some nicely priced cmp jackets, does anyone know how they are?

Edited as I forgot to mention that I have a 'The Edge' jacket (about £50) from Go Outdoors. Second season, I'm delighted with it.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have no problems about buying second hand, but as @Roguevfr, says, the spyder jackets have looked very dated for years and for £100 you should be able to get a good jacket brand new.

I'd suggest that you think about what features you need in a ski jacket.

For me, I prefer to ski in a shell, so I can layer up (and down) easily depending on conditions (because this season I was cold in Are, and hot in Les Gets). I also like to have a ski pass pocket near my left wrist to avoid that ski gate dance you see as people are trying to remember what pocket they put their ski pass in. I also like a lot of pockets so I can keep my gloves, beanie, sunnies, scarf, ski mask, sun cream, lip balm, phone, etc. I also want it to be waterproof but with pitzips for vents. Ideally bombproof so I don't have to replace it too often.

This is my current jacket, and it meets all those criteria and more.

I paid £180 for it at Sportpursuit about 3 years ago, and its still going strong. As its waterproof I also use it for walking to work when its chucking it down.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would go for the spyder, they make great ski gear.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JGSKI wrote:

What would your thoughts be on something like this... https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/991429 ?

That one looks ok - I recently bought my son an AlpinePro "Iskut" jacket on sportpursuit and it was good. I wouldn't have paid the £320 'rrp' but it was well worth £119 and worked in the dumping snow first week of Jan in the alps.

https://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/alpine-pro-dec17

Also highly recommend getting into a Decathlon and having a look at the jackets they have - particularly towards the end of the season when they start to discount further.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@JGSKI, if you have any Aldi near you they may have some of the gear left Thursday and some of the stuff I think is actually really nice. Bought myself a nice merino mid layer top. The socks are really nice (we don’t need any jackets so I didnt look at them that closely but my kick glance made me think they looked nice). I did look more closely at the ladies soft shell trousers at £19.99 they looked really nice - but there is nothing wrong with the ones I already have (and paid more than that for even at the good price I got for them off sport pursuit).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
robboj wrote:
@JGSKI, Beware of fake Spyder on eBay and the like. If its s genuine private seller then ok but google 'how to avoid spyder fakes' as spyder jackets are amongst the most copied of the ski brands .....

+1 on this comment.

I fell foul of this about 10-12 years ago, forked out for a jacket and trousers at a really competitive price (forgetting the old adage that if it is too good to be true, it normally is!) I was based in the Forces in Germany, headed off to Winterberg for a day trip (luckily for me I could drive to the slopes in about 90 minutes), donned new kit with pride and within a couple of hours found it was not waterproof, it had no thermal properties and was about as much use as a dog blanket. I perservered for the day, but got back to my barracks in the evening and the kit went straight in the skip!

As for budget gear, IMHO I would certainly give it a go - as has been stated already, Aldi/Lidl do specials during the winter months and the quality is great for the price; I would also have a look in Decathlon if you have one nearby, or online, again good quality and inexpensive gear. After all, it's about the skiing/Apres Ski, not the label on your clothing!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sack the Juggler wrote:
I have no problems about buying second hand, but as @Roguevfr, says, the spyder jackets have looked very dated for years and for £100 you should be able to get a good jacket brand new.

I'd suggest that you think about what features you need in a ski jacket.

For me, I prefer to ski in a shell, so I can layer up (and down) easily depending on conditions (because this season I was cold in Are, and hot in Les Gets). I also like to have a ski pass pocket near my left wrist to avoid that ski gate dance you see as people are trying to remember what pocket they put their ski pass in. I also like a lot of pockets so I can keep my gloves, beanie, sunnies, scarf, ski mask, sun cream, lip balm, phone, etc. I also want it to be waterproof but with pitzips for vents. Ideally bombproof so I don't have to replace it too often.

This is my current jacket, and it meets all those criteria and more.

I paid £180 for it at Sportpursuit about 3 years ago, and its still going strong. As its waterproof I also use it for walking to work when its chucking it down.

That is exactly the sort of jacket I am after, it is just finding one for around or under the £100 mark!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
OuchMyKnee wrote:
robboj wrote:
@JGSKI, Beware of fake Spyder on eBay and the like. If its s genuine private seller then ok but google 'how to avoid spyder fakes' as spyder jackets are amongst the most copied of the ski brands .....

+1 on this comment.

I fell foul of this about 10-12 years ago, forked out for a jacket and trousers at a really competitive price (forgetting the old adage that if it is too good to be true, it normally is!) I was based in the Forces in Germany, headed off to Winterberg for a day trip (luckily for me I could drive to the slopes in about 90 minutes), donned new kit with pride and within a couple of hours found it was not waterproof, it had no thermal properties and was about as much use as a dog blanket. I perservered for the day, but got back to my barracks in the evening and the kit went straight in the skip!

As for budget gear, IMHO I would certainly give it a go - as has been stated already, Aldi/Lidl do specials during the winter months and the quality is great for the price; I would also have a look in Decathlon if you have one nearby, or online, again good quality and inexpensive gear. After all, it's about the skiing/Apres Ski, not the label on your clothing!

For those wondering, this is the Spyder that is for sale. 86 2 [86 1 86

However, I am most definitely considering other options such as sportspursuit, decathlon, aldi etc after the comments so far.
ski holidays
@JGSKI, Mountain Equipment also have some good deals on at the moment - Dare2b gear is quite good, all depends on what you want really. If you are going to splash out, I would definitely head towards the Eider route - I have a friend who has worn his same snowboarding kit for the last 10 years and hits the mountains pretty regularly (multiple trips a year) and it is still pretty much as good as when it was new - great value for money if you can afford the initial outlay. I looked into the stuff, but couldn't justify the outlay not knowing how much longer my knee will take the abuse!
snow report
i would not buy used.
4 weeks could easily be 8 weeks
could easily have lost its waterproof capability!
Dont rule out TKMaxx - they often have high end branded ski stuff & sportsdirect often has spyder stuff.

Also, buy at the right time. Towards the end of the season, or beginning of the season for best savings.

Personally, work out what you need & then go find a jacket that suits.
Dont buy on looks alone, make sure it covers what you want.
Waterproof rating (5k-20k!)
Pockets
Lift pass zip pocket on the arm (very handy)
waterproof pocket for phone / cable tidy/holes for headphones
snow skirt (unless you wear bib pants!)
somewhere to clip your gloves/hat/goggles/helmet

I love my Planks Yeti Jacket (& matching bib pants!) - I paid £120 for the 15/16 version at the beginning of 16/17 season.

ski holidays
Doubt i can wait till the end now as I’m going away again in March.. what months are usually best? Thanks for all the advice btw a lot more then what I expected! Very Happy
ski holidays
late feb can be a good time.
worth keeping an eye on absolute snow.
Also lots of companies financial year ends end of march, so start flogging of stock from end of feb
snow report
Canuck wrote:

Edited as I forgot to mention that I have a 'The Edge' jacket (about £50) from Go Outdoors. Second season, I'm delighted with it.

I've seen them, cant say about the jackets but we bought our daughter some CMP salopettes from a resort shop in Norway, used it for one trip and happy with it. Also I don't think they would sell many in Norway if it were a tat brand or stock it in a resort shop.
latest report
Thoughts on this anyone? - https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/1155076
ski holidays
Don't like the colour!
snow report
Canuck wrote:

This seems a real steal for women then... http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/the-edge-womens-mount-block-snow-jacket-p419047
snow report
that beige colour is going to get dirty?

how about https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/901028

also worth looking at Alpine Trek - usually have quite a big range

https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/outlet/ski-jackets/for--men/?listorderby=oxvarminprice&listorder=asc

e.g.

https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/volcom-prospect-ins-jacket-ski-jacket/
or
https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/oneill-cue-jacket-ski-jacket/
latest report
JGSKI wrote:
Yeah you are still talking roughly 200 pound for a spyder or something similar... the two brands that are coming up for 80-100 are 'Carra' and 'Hyra'...

@t4tomo, @Roguevfr,

Hyra are excellent. 2of my kids have them, the sizing is a bit funny to work out, but the jackets are great, I would highly recommend. Agree no steal deals on spyder at the mo on sport pursuit
snow conditions
JGSKI wrote:

@t4tomo, @Roguevfr,

Hyra are excellent. 2of my kids have them, the sizing is a bit funny to work out, but the jackets are great, I would highly recommend. Agree no steal deals on spyder at the mo on sport pursuit
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy