Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where's good for snow biking?

Poster: A snowHead
Any snow bikers here & where do you go?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The moon
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have a look at Carstairs.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have been fat biking with https://www.alpinefatbike.com/. Operate around Schladming and Ramsau. Lift served downhill or lots of x-country trails.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
you might try Jamie Carr at http://www.ridethealps.com/about/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I mean more like snow mobiles, the ones mountain security ride, I got a lift on them in Switzerland. They have 2 fat back wheels & 1 front wheel. Googled it but not showing up, not what I mean anyway.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not in Switzerland, essential use only not recreational use.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ElizabethLizzyLiz, never heard of such a thing. Any ski patrolers I know/have seen are on snow mobiles.

Fat bikes, sure but only one wheel each front and back.

There is such a thing as a snow conversion for a dirt bike, with a track for the back and a ski for the front...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Like an old Honda Trike ATV? Didn't they ban those decades ago because they were deathtraps and would flip over and crush you? I'd be amazed if they even allowed those across the border in Switzerland?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yeah that's more like it Richard, maybe only mountain staff are allowed to use them then, shame.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ElizabethLizzyLiz, you are thinking of motos a neige?

Available in a few places but in very controlled conditions as they are seriously easy to feck up.

I heard once biggest cause of death for male Canadians 18-35.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cor look at those, great fun.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Are quad bikes safer?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ElizabethLizzyLiz, nope.

afaik, in the places that they do "safaris a moto-neige" it's more or less just over walking pace.

I was in a lodge in Canada a few years ago mostly full of skiers but one newly wed non-skiing couple were there as part of their honeymoon. Scooters aren't restricted there the way they are in most of Europe so on first day they thought it might be a hoot.

Luckily it was a heli lodge as the first thing the poor girl did was drive at full power straight into a very large pine tree, necessitating helivac to Vancouver in a coma with fractured skull, spine and leaking CSF out her ears. She did OK in the end I believe.

Also very easy to turn over.

Look great, not very safe.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You've got to go out to Golden (Near Kicking Horse) In British Columbia.

They call them Sleds there.
You can trailer them as far as the roads go and then you take the Sleds off and go further into the wilderness on your Sleds.

You can go up and over the hills to lakes where nobody has been all winter.
Then you cut a whole in the ice and catch your dinner.
Cook it on a a fire right on the ice.

And then rev up your Bombardier or Artic Cat and belt off home again.
ski holidays
once tried the "safari a moto-neige" on my send ever trip - Passo Tonale in the late 1990s. We'd been allocated to the snowmobiles in pairs, so my mate and I had paired up with a couple of girls from our ski class - the girls has signed up but claimed not to want to drive, so would be passengers for us. Hold on tight, ladies, as it were.

We ended up in a refuge having a genepi, then down the edge of a blue piste before heading home. We, along with another guy from our ski class, decided to wait till the leader had almost reached the bottom of the slope before we started so we could get a bit more speed up. Andy set off when the guys was half way down, I waited a while longer with the other guy.

Andy reached the back of the group fine, I set off with my snow cat and quickly touched 100kph, then realised I was ever so slightly scared and out of my depth so I backed off. The other guy came past me like a bat out of hell. Now on my cat wwe had two adults, but he - a big guy, rugby player, around 16 stone - had only his 11 year old son on the back. He approached the back of the group very quickly and hit the brakes

The brakes on a snow cat work by locking the treads. The treads dig into the snow, forced down by the weight of the cat and the passengers. As he was going so fast, the tracks could not grip as the cat was bouncing, and in an effort not to hit the group he steered the cat to one side at which point it rolled

Thankfully he and his son were thrown clear and escaped without injury, but the cat was damaged - only superficially with a broken windscreen and a couple of other bits, still worked enough to get us back to the base, but he was very shaken and did not object when told he'd have to sit behind someone else for the journey back as he wasn;t trusted to drive any more. Not sure if they made him pay for the damage either. Sobering experience, that's for sure
latest report
Oh dear, so the general consensus is too dangerous, steer clear. It's just I got a backie on two of them once, in Les Crosets, mountain crew gave me a lift back to the cable car cos I was unwell. They were riding very fast & it was snowing heavily, I felt like a Bond Girl, twas great fun.
ski holidays
Quite a few snowbikes in the 3 Valleys, France, this year.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy