Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nidecker Supermatic Bindings - Problem?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I've got these bindings and mostly they are great - however, on the odd occassion the rear binding doesn't clip in (Once in resort so not too bad, the other time on top of a mountain in howling wind and facing a two mile hike back down so more concerning). If you take your boot out and clip the binding in with no boot, it works just fine, but boot back in and it is a struggle again.

My boots are not bulkly, quite slim in fact compared to some, and I am wondering if it is because my highbacks are set too aggressively for it and it doesn't have enogh leverage back to click in with the agressive setting? Surely, they would tested this though?

So, just wondering if anyone had any views on it, or had exerienced it or heard any stories of similar?

Many thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've used them for 4 weeks, since Jan last year. Not had any problems with the step in not engaging. If it's flat not a problem ever. Sometimes, if I'm moving when I clip and the ground isn't flat, ie., so i'm holding a slight on a toe edge, its a little struggle as you obviously can't press hard on the heal whilst holding the toe edge, but a little heal wiggle usually engages it, or as soon as I can get the heal edge down, ie. first turn, it clicks in.

I do think your theory of the highback forward lean sounds plausible. I have my forward lean set two catches down from the top, so some forward lean, but not aggressively not all the way.

Alternatively maybe you have just cranked everything too tight ? When I first used them I had them really cranked tight and sometimes found it a little tricky to slide in (my boot is at the absolute upper size limit for the binding) but I've since learned not to have the ratchets cranked mega tight - no loss of control or performance and easier to glide in.

Could of course be gunk in the catch but doesn't sound like it if it happened in resort and I've used mine in deep powder, heavy fresh snow, slush and ice and the catches have never blocked. I do however usually, out habbit, give it a quick waft over when I reach down to flick the highback back when getting off a lift.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmm, yes, you might be right about being cranked too tight. When I first set them up I remember the middle connecting strap was pretty loose - not flush to the boot. But today I noticed it was much tighter. I'll try and loosen them and turn the high backs down a notch or two and see how I get on next week.

Thanks for your thoughts and the reply. Eh oh!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've had them for two seasons now and haven't had a problem (absolutely love them). I suspect @Gazzza, is correct and you've maybe just over tightened them. I found the real sweet spot this season and had them set up perfectly, so maybe just have a tweak and hopefully that will get you sorted.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This is what has always put me off Supermatics - being able to get the benefit of quick release while getting the firmness I like in my bindings. I'll admit to not having tried them yet, but I can't help but go back to when I flirted with Flow bindings and could never get the balance of compression right to still allow you to get your foot in and out cleanly.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
This is what has always put me off Supermatics - being able to get the benefit of quick release while getting the firmness I like in my bindings. I'll admit to not having tried them yet, but I can't help but go back to when I flirted with Flow bindings and could never get the balance of compression right to still allow you to get your foot in and out cleanly.

I felt the same for a while before I got them, but you can actually use them as a conventional binding (not that there would be much point). It's not quite as fast, but the mechanism is the same. Having said that, now that I seem to have got the fit spot on, it's like a perfect blend, for me at least.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@porkpiefox, yeah I could never get the Flows dialled in to where my foot felt anchored enough while still letting me pull it free when the back was released... Must try the supermatics when I get the chance.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agree - they are perfect for me, dispite the recent hiccup as described above.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Richard_Sideways, They're definitely heavier than a conventional binding, so for some that will be a no, but it doesn't seem to bother me, so they work for me at least.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy