Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 2017/18

Poster: A snowHead
@Hurtle, Oh no, you're going when I'm not there! Gutted I'll miss you Sad I'll see you on the EoSB though I think?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can anyone give me a quick update on current off piste conditions? Thanks Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@coolbeanz, I have a feeling that there was probably about 25cms overnight, on a very solid base, so maybe quite nice.

But it was a sunny day today, so it will all be tracked by now.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep, slightly better than I suggested, per the Guides,

[ INFOS CONDITIONS DU JOUR ]
Sur ces dernières quarante-huit heures, il est tombé une trentaine de cm de neige fraîche et poudreuse à 2000 m.
L’enneigement est très bon dès le fond de vallée pour chausser skis ou raquettes. En dessous de 1500 m, la petite couche de neige fraîche adoucit les itinéraires piétons et raquettes qui étaient en neige dure.
Les conditions de ski sont donc être très agréables mais attention tout de même au manteau neigeux qui peut être localement instable.
En haute montagne, le sommet de l’Aiguille du Midi qui est en cours de déneigement, annonce 80 cm de neige soufflée.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@under a new name, thanks for the update. I'm heading out next week and I've been hearing that, so far, it's been an awesome season. A welcome change from the last few years!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It was around 20-30 cm very light fluffy powder at 2000m, we had an amazing day at les houches today where it felt like nothing had been pisted because I guess a lot fell last night after grooming was done.

I was told (unverified) that brevent top bin didn’t open today, so there will still be plenty of fresh tracks tomorrow but not by next week! In light of this I’m off to Brevent tomorrow...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Back from another successful trip. Managed to miss the storms again... but did manage to find an abundance of deep, fresh snow for the entire 8 days I was out.

Highlights include the Brèche Puiseux, the Col du Pissoir and the best conditions I've seen in the Berard valley (accessed from the Belvedere)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfHSPiSnxUO/?taken-by=fergusmccarroll

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks mega, good effort!

Even though I lucked into a load of storm skiing when out in January, by the end of the week I was kind of hankering after a bit of sun and runs like that...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Anyone know more about this.

http://www.ledauphine.com/haute-savoie/2018/02/13/chamonix-un-pere-et-son-fils-pris-dans-une-petite-avalanche
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jbob wrote:
Anyone know more about this.

http://www.ledauphine.com/haute-savoie/2018/02/13/chamonix-un-pere-et-son-fils-pris-dans-une-petite-avalanche

I was trying to work out where it was, somewhere off Posettes perhaps?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
says it was just to the side of the caisets piste.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I know that at least towards the bottom of Caisets there are some steeper slopes that often self trigger.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm off to Chamonix tomorrow and looking to buy a ski touring set-up.

What are the best shops in town to go to? Puzzled
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Concept Pro is one.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@coolbeanz, Snells often have s/h stuff. If your on a budget then decathlon down the valley.
snow report
@coolbeanz,
Before you go into a shop, do you know what you want? Have you an idea of a couple of skis? Do you want lightish kit to travel long distances or hefty dude gear requiring a thousand euros worth of Norona clothing before thinking of anything else?

Do you already have touring boots or not?

The best place to get properly fitted boots may not be the best place to buy skis and bindings.

Put some thought into what you want before walking into any of the shops.
snow conditions
Concept Pro
snow conditions
Thanks @jbob, @HammondR and @redrunmarcus. I'm looking to buy both boots and skis . I'm more interested in the day-tour category of stuff, where I won't sacrifice too much of the ski performance, so yes, probably falls more into the "hefty dude gear requiring a thousand euros worth of Norona clothing" category I guess Laughing. I really haven't explored my options in that much detail. I've only rented touring gear to date, so I'm not kit expert. I would like to go somewhere where I would benefit from fairly objective professional advise. For the sake of clarity, I more of an Arc'teryx kind of guy... NehNeh
snow conditions
@coolbeanz, get your boots from Sanglard. Just received fantastic service from them yesterday, as usual. If you can't get an appointment with them in time, then try Sole, ditto Footworks by the Midi.

Concept Pro are a helpful shop. Things may have changed there, but a couple of years ago when we were looking at hosing money at skill compensating skis, they didn't stock the top range of Volkl BMT touring skis.

Snell do stock more or less everything, so if you chose to buy the lot from the one shop you should be able to negotiate a 15/20% discount. You won't get a discount at the good boot fitters. However, as an Arcteryx wearing citizen of the capital, money may be no object.

Good luck. When your purchase is made please enlighten us how it went.
snow report
The second-hand market in Chamonix is flooded with good, cheap stuff. People get injured, buy stuff that's not for them or have to leave town - all usually looking for a quick sell. Join the facebook 'buy and sell' group, linger for a week and you'll have yourself a bargain.
ski holidays
Thanks @HammondR and @Fergus!

I guess boots will be my first priority. Is it definitely worth going to a proper boot fitter? Are the likes of Snell or Concept Pro unlikely to do a good job?
latest report
I’d say yes if you’re going to use them for normal resort skiing too. If you’re only ever going to tour in them you’ll be walking 95% of the time so fit isn’t as important if it’s only 5% of the time you’ll actually have them clipped tight.
snow report
Just for info, Concept have had boot fitters for a few seasons now, one at least is former Sole. Most of the staff/owners are former Sanglard.

Don’t know if Jules is still at Sanglard, but if going there and in the absence of any other info, he.’s the chap I’d want.

I don’t think Footworks still exists? Certainly, the key staff formed Sole.

For a day tour ski, the Blizzard Zero-Gs are well reviewed, and pretty light.
latest report
Thanks @under a new name!
snow conditions
Skied flegere today,only lasted 2 hours as I got completely soaked to the skin, pretty grim conditions with sleet at around 1800 metres and heavy snow/whiteout conditions at the top.

Should be good tomorrow though!
snow conditions
Ueah, we had changeover to do and some creative maintenance, didn’t feel we were missing anything
latest report
GM Snow lovely above 2500m, cement below that, but empty pistes have made for some great high speed carving fun in the slush.

Rain just transitioning to sleet in argentiere. Tomorrow will be great, naturally, because I have to fly home.
snow report
Had boots fitted by Jules at Sanglard and Steve at Sole based on recommendations on here. Both were very good. It’s the fitter not the shop that makes the difference. For Skis the FB buy and sell group is excellent or Snell in town for the biggest selection
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anyone with surplus energy, plenty of untracked powder to be had touring up the glaciers. About 12 made it to the top of the Col D'Argentiere yesterday. Fresh tracks all the way down, and plenty left to be had.
snow conditions
Heading off to Les Houches in 5 days, does anyone know what the conditions are like, i will be mainly sticking to the pistes (red and blue)?

Especially the run back to the bottom of the Pairon lift as it was terrible this time last year?

Thanks

Neill
ski holidays
Aaaaaah - after loooooong travel and issues on saturday getting back to Chamonix, and a broken ski boot yesterday (sheared bolt, wouldn't go into ski mode, fixed by Snell after a big run round several shops), I fiiiiiinally made it back on to the slopes today.

Was over at GM, and it was lovely. Tracked out of course after yesterday, but the snow was holding up really well on and offpiste. Grippy, smooth, fast onpiste, and still plenty of deep, and very soft snow offpiste. There may have been the occasional little scream of pleasure on a couple of pitches Embarassed snowHead And lots of sunshine, only disappearing about 1.30pm - a thoroughly enjoyable morning and early afternoon ski.

It's good to be back snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
“Just seen this notice regarding the Route de la Forclaz.
Route de la Forclaz ouverte a partir du mercredi le 7 mars entre 06:00 et 22:00. (Travaux prévus les nuits entre 22:00 et 06:00)
Route de la Forclaz opens as of wednesday 7th march between the hours of 06:00 and 22:00 (Closed for works each night between 22:00 and 06:00).”

Good news.
snow report
@jbob, good news indeed! March and April on the midi should be spectacular
ski holidays
@BobinCH, Re the Midi - does anyone know if it's in good condition this year?

I've been wanting to ski Cosmiques and Rond for ages. Maybe this year is the year to do it (probably April).
snow conditions
@musehead, I would say so 😎
https://instagram.com/p/BfTdrtoF5zT/

I’m in the same boat as you and hoping to get across in April. Only problem late season is the valley descent will be Avi rubble so have to out via the schlep to the mid-station

Ps I also replied on the Japan thread with the perfect ski for these routes 😉
ski holidays
I'm in Chamonix next week for a couple of days - i'm working in Gva on Tuesday so it would be rude not to take a couple of days off ! As I will be flying solo I wondered about hooking into a VB trip - any recommendations of small groups (max 4) where you can book on - won;t have any gear other than boots, pack and clothing but will have rented skis. Failing that if there's anyone around fancies a beer , ski or dinner let me know - I'm normal !
latest report
@jbob, that is good news. Been chomping at the bit to go touring and climbing from La Fouly. Only problem is that now we can get there, it looks as if the weather is not going to co operate for the foreseeable future. Dash it.
ski holidays
orange wrote:
I'm in Chamonix next week for a couple of days - i'm working in Gva on Tuesday so it would be rude not to take a couple of days off ! As I will be flying solo I wondered about hooking into a VB trip - any recommendations of small groups (max 4) where you can book on - won;t have any gear other than boots, pack and clothing but will have rented skis. Failing that if there's anyone around fancies a beer , ski or dinner let me know - I'm normal !

Go talk to Concept Pro between Aig du Midi and Grepon Parking. They have all the gear you need and will point you in the right direction for guides with small groups
snow report
GM yesterday morning again - firmer and heavier than Monday, and visibility dropped during the morning. Started on Bochard to get above the clouds, but they rose during the morning, so no avoiding them later, and lots of very flat light followed. Spent the later morning playing in the gullies under Tabe chair, and I gave up at lunchtime. Good half day though - was out with Evo 2 courtesy of SCGB, and a half day with an very good Evo2 instructor for £20 is a bit of a bargain. It was mostly just guiding, but with some little technique tips that were helpful.

This morning I went over to Les Houches early to do a skin, which was slightly painful given my accidental hangover Embarassed But followed by great skiing up top - lots of nice light fluffy snow, which took a while to get tracked out. Skied down at lunchtime and found my first slush of the season too though, towards the bottom of the home run. No problem with cover though, it was still nice skiing. Having to work this afternoon, otherwise I would have stayed much longer. Visibility came and went though.
latest report
@orange, what dates are you looking at? I'm keen to get a few VB runs in this winter. I missed a trip on Sunday with my usual crew as I had a broken ski boot Sad And as I'm working a few days a week, and my friends work different patterns, they're struggling to find dates in the next couple of weeks that work, so I'm keen to look at some organised groups too. New week I only have Fri and Sat I can do though.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy