Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Weather in Niederau, Wildschönau, Ski Juwel

Poster: A snowHead
Beautiful sunny day skiing today. Perfect snow conditions Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snowing lightly again this morning and cold. Windy at the top of the mountain but nice and calm in the valley.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for all the weather updates!

My wife and I are going to Niedarau from the 15th-20th of March. My wife won't be skiing much (long story!), so if anyone is around let me know as I'd love a bit of company on the slopes. I'm an intermediate snowboarder.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Beautiful sunny morning but very cold, -15 when I took the dog out this morning. Pics to follow later if possible.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kropfrader

Lannerkopfl

Quite a large avalanche on Rosskopf

Behind Markbachjoch
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snow is still superb in the mornings, getting a little heavy after lunch but there is still full cover everywhere. A little new snow forecast for the weekend with some colder temperatures to follow should make next week perfect on piste.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A lumpy slush-fest in the afternoons more like @Chris_n, .
Skied a run in Niederau for first time yesterday , otherwise mostly been skiing from Hopfgarten to various resorts, all with their share of mogulled pistes by afternoon.
Some good skiing in the mornings tho.
Since arriving on Sat 10th we have seen rain, hail, snow, sun, cloud and low light.
Having a great time though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Cinsha, I have the luxury this week of not needing to ski in the afternoon wink . Alpbach is much colder (higher) and has better snow although it is busier.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Chris_n, Didn't ski Alpbach but did Auffach on last day (Fri). Sunny to start and cloudy later. I enjoyed my week regardless of conditions and came back uninjured - yay!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Cinsha, always a bonus!
Yesterday the pistes were firm all day with a sprinkling of new snow. This morning is a little brighter with 5cm of new powdery snow at 900m. Off to see how much is at the top!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Perfect day yesterday, blue sky and snow in perfect condition, still little bits of untracked off piste in places.

Woke this morning to another 10cm of new snow, sigh I'll have to go out and try it snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That must be such an ordeal for you 😂
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I wish I was still there. Just hoping the snow will be as good next year. I am already booked in. snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well that's me finished for the season, Niederau closes on Monday, Auffach and Alpbach next weekend. It's been a strange week weatherwise everything from 14 degree sunshine through pouring rain to two days of fresh powder snow (at least on the mountain).

Counting down to next season already.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Do the resorts close simply because of lack of customers ?
ski holidays
Yes and no, Crystal and most of the Dutch companies stopped last week. Nearly all of the hotels will be closed after next weekend to prepare for the summer.
The pistes will be broken up to let more air at them so that they melt quicker and can be turned back into grazing land for the cattle.
ski holidays
We were very sorry to hear of the death of Christl Purner, on 24th April. She ran the Gasthof Brunner with Helmut for many years and was a truly lovely lady. We stayed there for years and years, along with my elderly father who would be invited into the locals table. When our daughter did a season with the red ski school Christl insisted that she stayed in her own house with her and her son Richard (sadly died years ago now) and Christl could not have been kinder to Gemma. We last saw Christl, and Helmut, two summers ago when we stayed in the village for a few days and we helped round up a dog in the road, only to find it was with Christl once the panic was over, and the Helmut himself appeared. He died not too long after that.
snow conditions
So a new season has started, for some reason I am unable to upload pictures at the moment.
The last few days have been very cold (-12) and dry so lots of snow has been made. Piste machines hard at work in Niederau smoothing out the piles ready for opening here next weekend.
Alpbach and Aufach have been open for a little while now, haven't been to Alpbach but snow at Auffach was good for early season man made.
A little warmer and snowing today so looking good for the start of the season proper.
latest report
We are coming to Niederau on the 29th. First time in Austria, looking forward to it! Very Happy
ski holidays
A fabulous morning skiing in Auffach with perfect snow and beautiful blue skies. Very Happy
snow report
Looking good for a perfect winter again. Only just over a month for me to wait now. snowHead
snow conditions
@Chris_n, Jumbulance are back at the end of Jan. Keep the weather reports coming please. See you on the button!
snow report
Opening day in Niederau, off to test the slopes Toofy Grin
latest report
Chris_n wrote:
Opening day in Niederau, off to test the slopes Toofy Grin

Toofy Grin snowHead Skullie
latest report
Pistes were fine when I checked them on Friday, unfortunately since then we have had quite a bit of rain. Main pistes still look ok but there are a lot of dirty patches on some of the connections where there is no snowmaking. Webcams on Schatzberg and at Alpbach are looking good though being that little bit higher.
Off to work now, could be an interesting day!
snow conditions
Snowline should drop to around 1000m in Austria tomorrow, fingers crossed!! snowHead

https://wepowder.com/en/forum/topic/262238
ski holidays
Well we had a little new snow, mainly cosmetic. Pistes are fine at the moment but links between pistes are more or less non existent in the valley. Usually you can get one way OK but the other is a bit sketchy.
Off to Auffach with the group tomorrow so will give a report from there tomorrow evening
latest report
Snow at Auffach was very good, all of the extra pistes that aren't on the map are open. Skiing into the valley is no problem with good cover.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Finally some real snow, about 10cm in the car park here with another 20 forecast during the day. Snowing quite heavily atm snowHead
ski holidays
Snowing quite heavily overnight set to carry on for at least the next 24 hours and getting colder snowHead
snow report
Good start to the year. Keep those dancing boots moving. ❄ snowHead
latest report
Greetings all - I hope this is the correct thread for this post.
Travelling to Niederau for the first week of March 2019. Looking for some advice - I have read most of the threads. I am a competent intermediate on-piste skiier, very happy cruising Blues and Reds - and doing Reddish Blacks. Coming with me is:
Daughter 1, 18 y competent on piste skiier - she would like to have some private lessons.
Daughter 2 - 12y, this would be her 2nd week of skiing. I would like her to attend ski school. What ski school is recommended and would you go for the 2 hours or 4 hour lessons for her? Also wondering what days ski school starts - we arrive on a Sat so first ski day would be the Sunday. Also wondering if it is possible to get from Niederau to Auffach - get in some skiing and get back to Niederau to pick up Daughter 2 from ski school?
Ski rental? Online in advance or in store on arrival? Any particular shop?
Ski deposit - is there somewhere at the bottom of the lifts? I always prefer the convenience of being able to drop the skis once down from the mountain.
On the final day we fancy going over to Hopfgarten and trying some of the Ski Welt, so am wondering if there are buses or would be be best finding a taxi?

Thanks in advance.
snow conditions
@ado, Chris is best placed to answer all of your queries in full, but as a regular visitor to Niederau my recommendations would be:

Red Ski School (Skischule Wildscheonau). Chris is one of their instructors.
Group lessons run Sunday to Thursday and are usually attended all day (2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon). Not sure if a 12 year old would be with the kids or the adults, and if with the kids what happens at lunchtime.

Magreitters for ski hire. Their skis are not booked in bulk through Crystal or Inghams and I have therefore found they are in better condition than those from the other shops. Blachfelders is good too, but their skis are booked in bulk. The shops have storage facilities if you need them.

Sometimes people staying in the Harfenwirt or the Sonnschein have a bus over to the Ski Welt on Thursdays and Fridays, but otherwise think it is a taxi.

Hope you enjoy your first holiday in Niederau. snowHead
snow report
@ado, @J Rhiannon has covered most of your questions, the ones she has missed I can answer for you.
Daugher 1 private lessons are available but I'm not sure if you can book in advance for that week as it is still Dutch holidays. Drop the ski school an email and ask the question if you wish but it should be fine.
Daughter 2, 12 is usually with children and everything is sorted by ability, lunchtime supervision is available if you need it.
Ski busses run between Niederau and Auffach regularly so it is possible to do what you want.
I don't think there is a bus direct to Hopfgarten, the road at that end of the valley has length restrictions, so I guess it would be a taxi.
If you need any more info just ask, enjoy your stay.
snow report
Tipping down all day here so coverage is increasing nicely. Knee deep powder available beside the pistes and I'm pretty sure they will have the off piste ski routes open before the end of the week. All links in the valley runs are now available.
ski holidays
Liking the sound of these reports, we are due in Niederau towards the end of January.
snow report
Chris_n wrote:
Tipping down all day here so coverage is increasing nicely. Knee deep powder available beside the pistes and I'm pretty sure they will have the off piste ski routes open before the end of the week. All links in the valley runs are now available.

Thanks Chris for the updates coming out on the 12th of jan looking forward to even more now
snow report
@Chris_n, @J Rhiannon, - many thanks. I will probably meet Daughter 2 for lunch anyway and have a small practice with her once we finish eating. From what I hear - coming to the end of the week, assuming she is an OK 2nd week skiier she should be able to navigate her way down most of the Reds in the area. Then on Friday we may head off as a family to Auffach/Inneralpbach etc
ski holidays
@ado, The reds is Auffach are generally considered slightly easier than the reds in Niederau. If daughter 2 is in a group with the right ability you may find she gets taken over there possibly on the Wednesday anyway. If so, she will probably have to be there over lunch. The buses are a little spasmodic over the lunchtime period. You may also end up considering not meeting daughter 2 for lunch on just 1 of the days while the rest of the family go over to Auffach. That sort of thing can be arranged while you are there.

If you haven't been to Auffach already you may find it difficult to fit in both Auffach and Alpbach on the Friday and explore both fully.
My brother can cover quite a lot of ground in a day and he found that to ski all of the runs in Alpbach in the same day he had to get on a fairly early bus. I think he went at 9am. He then had to bypass Auffach completely and get straight across to Alpbach. He got back to Niederau at about 4:30pm. He often goes to Auffach in the morning and comes back just after lunch to spend the afternoon in Niederau. That works well with the sun movement.

Thursday is race day, so the family may want to cheer daughter 2 on in her race in the morning. All racers get a medal and the medal ceremony for children is in the middle of the afternoon. Any family thinking their child is not competitive and would like a break from skiing on the Thursday morning is usually found to be sadly mistaken Laughing I have seen alternative booked excursions having to be abandoned on several occasions in order to remain on speaking terms with a child who usually would do anything to avoid a sporting activity.
snow report
@J Rhiannon, fantastic information, hugely appreciated. Already looking forward to my trip. Be great if she was heading over to Auffach and meet her there. If not will I will see if she was amenable to being supervised for lunch on one day. I will find an online ski rental place (probably skiset) that uses Magreitters - unsure of whether to take the insurance. Will probably wait and take the shops own insurance when there. Buy ski pass in the village on arrival I guess?

Flying into Munich and then taking train from Munich to Worgl(sp?) and from there to get a bus or taxi to Niederau.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 3-01-19 17:55; edited 1 time in total
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy