Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SR: SKI WALES - 2017/18 Winter Season in the Brecon Beacons & Snowdonia National Parks

Poster: A snowHead
Just drove through Brecon on my way home to Llandeilo.

About 5cm on the verge. Should be more than enough up top to play on.

The roads are treacherous though.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wednesday 28 February 2018

Extensive coverage across the Central Beacons Massif, but only about 5cm deep.

Cold out there and lots of snow forecast over the coming days.

Friday and Saturday could be rather special.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
But windy according to the forecast
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Mike Pow, snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
...unless you're supposed to be flying out of Bristol tomorrow! Sad
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sharkymark wrote:

Anywhere nice?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
They just announced a red warning on BBC breakfast with up to 50cm of snow expected for South Wales Shocked
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bingo!!! http://metro.co.uk/2018/03/01/met-office-issues-new-red-weather-warning-storm-emma-crashes-beast-east-7351152/
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sharkymark wrote:

Same for me... on the plus side, if the flight is cancelled, it's because it's snowed and I've got the day off work snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Has anyone managed to get in there yet? I have an unplanned Saturday in the UK to do something with 😞
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I live at the eastern end of the national park and skied in 30+cm of powder in the Black Mountains this afternoon. I can't speak for the Brecon Beacons but higher up in the BMs a lot of snow has been scoured off by the wind. Some very big drifts on leeward slopes.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
garycrocker wrote:
I live at the eastern end of the national park and skied in 30+cm of powder in the Black Mountains this afternoon. I can't speak for the Brecon Beacons but higher up in the BMs a lot of snow has been scoured off by the wind. Some very big drifts on leeward slopes.

Fantastic. Where please?

Been looking east, nothing in the Carmarthen Fans.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This was on the Black Hill, near Hay on Wye. Getting around is pretty tricky though. I'm lucky enough to have been able to get out on foot.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
garycrocker wrote:
This was on the Black Hill, near Hay on Wye. Getting around is pretty tricky though. I'm lucky enough to have been able to get out on foot.

Thanks
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hay Bluff and Twmpa will be good I think. It's only about -1.5 here now so the snow is getting stickier.
snow report
Got up to Storey Arms @ 9am (roads clear and little traffic), but clouds down & looked pretty brutal out there: slopes pretty much stripped by the wind - impressive drifting on lee of hedges etc.
So wimped out and drove back to Brizzle - nothing ventured: nothing gained
snow report
Got to Pont ar Daf car park for midday.

Lots of people out.

Decent covering in Cefn Crew. The gullies were loaded with sledders racing down like the Cresta Run.

Took pics of Marcin and Tim up from Cardiff (via Poland and England respectively) in one of the gullies skier's right of the path. The icicles were huge.

Then hiked to Bwlch Duwynt below Corn Du and skied the Cefn Crew face back to the bridge.

Very enjoyable day out.

Still looks like the majority of the snow fell in the east of the park in the Black Mountains.

Got a mate camping out at Llyn y Fan Fawr tonight and he says there's good coverage and snowing heavily.

So most probably there tomorrow.

Rain from Monday 😞
ski holidays
I skied Cwm Llwch and part of the NW face of Pen y Fan this morning.

Access was very difficult with the lanes from Libanus full of snow drifts - skinning over the drifts, looking out over the fields above hedge height, was quite an experience!

Light rain fell for most of the morning. Given the amount of snow that had fallen, the E/NE slopes were quite bare of snow. NW facing slopes had good covering but the rain and warm temperature had caused it to consolidate. Sadly no powder! But actually quite fun skiing on a soft top over an unbreakable crust, almost like skiing spring corn snow!

I only did one run, up to about 700m on the face, on account of the rain and the difficult schlep through the lanes to get back. All in all a good fun and a great adventure!

Rob
snow report
Well played 👏
ski holidays
Snow quickly turned to rain in the west of the Brecon Beacons National Park so bailed. Glad I did.
latest report
THURSDAY 08 MARCH 2018

5-15 cm overnight across the Brecon Beacons National Park.

Better snow and coverage compared with last weekend's storm.

Should be plenty left tomorrow and depending on tomorow afternoon's rain even turns on Saturday.
snow report
WEDNESDAY 28 FEBRUARY 2018

A consistent 5cm covering across the National Park but not enough to make turns 😞

So it was ice spotting instead

ski holidays
SATURDAY 03 MARCH 2018

After two days of gale force winds which ripped the slates off the roof; sub zero temperatures with no heating as we waited for oil to be delivered; and next to no snow in Llandeilo, it was time to see what #thebeastfromtheeast had done to the Brecon Beacons National Park

But first stop on the way was some icicle hunting in Waterfall Country at Melincourt Falls near Neath

snow report
SATURDAY 03 MARCH 2018

After two days of gale force winds which ripped the slates off the roof; sub zero temperatures with no heating as we waited for oil to be delivered; and next to no snow in Llandeilo, it was time to see what #thebeastfromtheeast had done to the Brecon Beacons National Park

The upper mountin had been stripped bare by the wind, but down low there were some filled in gullies which offered up great turns

Tim, up from Cardiff, letting the skis run

Tim in green, Marcin in blue

latest report
SATURDAY 03 MARCH 2018

The upper mountin had been stripped bare by the wind, but down low there were some filled in gullies which offered up great turns

Marcin, originally from Poland but now living in Cardiff, letting the skis run

ski holidays
Good stuff Mike & co - great photos

I put together a quick edit from Sunday 4th March... hopefully this gets across the weather, access, grass skiing and general “adventure” involved in skiing in the Beacons!

Brecon Beacons Ski Adventure 2018 from Rob Horton
https://vimeo.com/259077313
ski holidays
THURSDAY 08 MARCH 2018

THE BEST FROM THE WEST
After #thebeastfromtheeast 's failure to deliver stellar conditions in the Central Beacons Massif last week it was great to see a 'normal' storm arrive from the West Wednesday night into Thursday morning

15-20 cm of dry, light powder fell without too much wind, providing consistent coverage on all aspects

And the sun came out too

ski holidays
RobH wrote:

I put together a quick edit from Sunday 4th March... hopefully this gets across the weather, access, grass skiing and general “adventure” involved in skiing in the Beacons!

Well played.

Hay area?

Way more snow than Central or West.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
THURSDAY 08 MARCH 2018

After ascending in glorious sunshine, the clouds rolled in as soon as I put the skis

Firm and fast below Pen-y-Fan into Cwm Llwch

Soft and going to ground skier's left of Corn Du

Then cruisey, bluebird turns back to Pont-ar-Daf car park

A smorgasbord of sliding

VIDEO

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgSyYnigTCK/?taken-by=mikethesnow
snow conditions
FRIDAY 09 MARCH 2018

THE YIN AND THE YANG OF WELSH SKIING

I summitted early to catch what I hoped was a glorious sunrise, with the peaks of the Central Beacons Massif cresting above a Spring inversion

Unfortunately Mother Nature had other ideas

Mist, fog, swirling winds, and an overnight thaw which had eaten into the snowpack made for some challenging skiing and routefinding

Still better than being indoors though

VIDEO

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgViSBXAeqd/?taken-by=mikethesnow

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgViqsPAMpn/?taken-by=mikethesnow
snow conditions
SATURDAY 17 MARCH 2018

The Beast From The East 2 is working its way westwards.

Snow falling and sticking in the Central Beacons Massif.

Will be up tomorrow after more snow and a chance for it to settle.

Today is all about the rugby 👌
snow conditions
http://members.traffic-wales.com/cctvimages/camera4001.jpg?
ski holidays
Mike Pow wrote:
RobH wrote:

Well played.

Hay area?

Way more snow than Central or West.

Nope, that was central beacons - from Libanus over the lanes/fields and up into Cwm Llwch.

10+ cms of soft powdery snow fell here overnight and more still falling. Could be some great skiing today, sadly I don’t think I’ll get out.
snow conditions
Wouldn't mind taking a look at that route with you.

About 5cm here in Llandeilo.

Looks like the roads are dicey and it's blowing a gale up top.

Going to sit out today and let it pile up.

Mon-Wed forecast clear and cold so should be some fun to be had.
latest report
@Mike Pow, The Storey Arms web cam is looking impressive. Looks like a fair amount has fallen.
latest report
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
@Mike Pow, The Storey Arms web cam is looking impressive. Looks like a fair amount has fallen.

Indeed. Still snowing.

Hopefully it gets cold overnight and the snow sets up.

Planning on a sunrise visit tomorrow.

Are you home?

Any snow up with you?
latest report
@Mike Pow, Yep, landed last night but waiting in for luggage to catch up. A good fall here in the Village and apparently the Shropshire hills have had a bit but feels warm. I have a tentative plan for some sunset turns tomorrow.

The local web cam:

http://myndcam.com/

North Wales looks like they had some:

https://ogwen-rescue.org.uk/webcams/
ski holidays
Enjoy
snow report
MONDAY 19 MARCH 2018

A wild & blustery day up high with sudden gusts depositing & stripping the snow in equal measure.

I was even knocked off my feet as I skinned past Bwlch Duwynt.

An eerie 'Mars' light greeted me this morning, casting a desert hue over the snow and rocks.

Mixed snow conditions from hardpack to wind crust to boot top powder made for a challenging but fun run from Pen-y-Fan down into Cwm Llwch ('Powder Valley')

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bgg4hSUg-c7/?taken-by=mikethesnow

https://www.instagram.com/p/BglQ37BA8lw/?taken-by=mikethesnow
ski holidays
TUESDAY 20 MARCH 2018

With a snow texture like unbaked meringue I took the skis for a walk in the Carmarthen Fans today!

Despite the limited turns it was fantastic to experience total isolation in the far west of the National Park amongst terrain more reminiscent of Iceland than the 'Green Green Grass Of Home'.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgnhpMpAHas/?taken-by=mikethesnow
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy