Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2017/2018: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires, La Tania, St Martin

Poster: A snowHead
A much better day in Meribel with less wind, cooler temperatures and more lifts open. I am not sure if and when any of the upper lifts opened. Only Pas du Lac 1 and Combes were open in Mottaret first this morning but they both gave access to some good off piste skiing. Nearly all the off-piste areas below Saulire Express 1 were tracked out and it was quite busy on the slopes, caused by restricted lift operation. Dent de Burgin opened early afternoon giving access to some more powder fields. We took the opportunity to off-piste ski down from Meribel Altiport to Brides les Bains. Something which I haven't been able to do for a number of years. Had to climb over and under a couple of trees and cross one stream but, otherwise, not too challenging with good snow right down to the valley floor.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Perty a good list of recommendations! If you take the first run down Creux, I would actually suggest taking the first left track to the Suisse chair, as the Marmottes chair doesn't usually open until after 9.30 am. This allows you get back up to the top and get at least another run down before the crowds arrive.

@Redwine There are some nice walks both around the lac du Tueda and from Meribel down through the villages to Les Allues. From Les Allues you can catch the Olympe bubble or free shuttle bus back to Meribel. A walking guide is available from the Tourist Offices. If you are feeling very energetic, you can walk from Les Allues (or drive first to Villard, which makes it slightly easier) to the Refuge du Christ www.lerefugeduchrist.com for lunch or dinner and over night stay. Thoroughly recommended. Book in advance. Not always open.

If you are out in February and have a car, you might like to consider driving around to Courcheval to one of the International Firework Competition events. These are held weekly, usually on a Thursday evening, in one or other of the Courcheval stations (1300, 1550, 1650 or 1850) and have been spectacular. https://epicfireworks.com/blog/2017/12/16th-international-festival-of-pyrotechnic-art/

Make sure that you pick up a What's On Guide (these are available from the Tourist Offices, hotel receptions and supermarkets) or see https://www.merinet.com/events/

The ice-hockey matches can be quite fun if you haven't been before. The swimming pool/spa in the Olympic Centre is good (nb they require trunks rather shorts). Le Rastro can be quite lively on a Tuesday evening, when they have a live band. There are evening skidoo rides from the very top of Meribel-Mottaret Laitelet (beyond Le Hameau).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
An interesting short read...

THE CALM AFTER THE STORM…
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Redwine
Parapenting off Saulire finishing in Mottaret is a bit of a splurge (around 70 Euros if memory serves) but looks awesome. My 4 (youngest age 7) saved up all year to do it last year and will probably be doing it again this year

snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Imptessive that you managed to ski down to Brides! Have stayed there many times and never see that possible. How did you know the route!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
THANK YOU EVERYONE. Many of your ideas/suggestions will serve us well.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looks like another dump over the weekend. Is there no end to it.

After 3 famine years, this one is turning into a feast.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks like possibility of a lot of rain below 1800 over Sunday afternoon/evening, I hope it's not too bad.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another top day in the Courchevel trees - the best snow was below tree line where it had been sheltered from the winds of mid-week (funnily enough):

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads

@CourchGal There are a few signs to Bride les Bains along the route. However, on both occasions that I have done the run, it had already been tracked, so was quite easy to follow. I wouldn't have attempted it if someone hadn't already been down. FYI, you cut off right from the Lapin piste, just below the Blanchot restaurant; ski down to le Plantin restaurant; walk 25 yards up the road towards La Tanya; look for the sign to Bride; duck under the fallen tree; ski down to Hauteville (crossing one stream and climbing over two fallen trees!); head right along the track towards Villarnard; then drop down to a tunnel under the main Moutier - Bozel road before reaching the bottom of the Olympe gondola.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

Interesting sky colour this morning. A shepherd's warning?!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Excited to be out in 27th Jan to Feb 3rd in Meribel Les allues. Anyone able to confirm the grand spa thermal bride Les bains is shut til mid Feb? I was looking for somewhere to go one afternoon / evening for outdoor hot tub experience.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Lost in the trees, I think it opens for the "Winter Season" only during French half-term: 12 Feb - 10 Mar, afternoons only. And then pools etc only from 12 March.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yeah that's what I thought but was hoping some of it may still be open. If anyone knows other good walk ins let me know.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ Lost in the trees. If you don't mind a 2 hr hard hike up from Les Allues, Le Refuge du Christ has a fantastic, outside, wood fired, Norwegian hot tub and sauna, with great views of Mont Blanc - on a clear day! www.lerefugeduchrist.com

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 20-01-18 15:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@MikeS thanks! Really hope to be able to give that a go in a few weeks time of the snow holds!!!
snow conditions
Day off + kids in ski school for the morning meant a couple of laps in the magic forest with Mrs offpisteskiing followed by a run down Emile Allais while the light was still there, then a chance encounter with a couple of mates meant another quick tree lap before ski school pick up time...

Definitely the calm before the storm, as this afternoon it was properly chucking it down again. Anyone coming out be prepared for lunatics on the road, wife nearly had a head-on driving down to Bozel while I skied down with Jr nº1, with some crazed van driver overtaking uphill at speed round a blind bend on very snowy road...

Ewan pushing the boundaries of balance:

Craigy gets the shot of the day award...:
latest report
A wild day today in Val Thorens. It's being blitzed by snow - again!

We skied a few runs off the Peclet gondola & Plein Sud chair then settled for a few laps on Cairn Gondola, as it was the only run where we could (just about) see anything.

Fantastic snow conditions but the wind picked up after lunch and we suffered a good blasting at the top of the Boulevard Cumin, which we took to Les Menuires - where we are staying this week. The snow has become even heavier in the last half hour down on Les Men. Incredible conditions but we are looking forward to the storm passing....
snow report
Currently sat in Lyon airport as flight couldn't get to Chambery due to the weather....not a good start!
ski holidays
@offpisteskiing, looks great!
latest report
Still at Lyon with no update from Crystal....the worst travel company no contest!
latest report
Think positive @thecremeegg, tomorrow you'll be enjoying some of the best snow in the 3Vs for years!

Please leave some for me - 6 sleeps to go...... Very Happy
snow conditions
Hah I wish i could share that enthusiasm!
ski holidays
It looks a bit grim on the roads. Big traffic jam approaching Moutier and snow chains required to get up to all resorts http://www.savoie-route.fr/?lang=en

snow report
Apparently the road is closed between Les Menuires and Val Thorens due to an avalanche. They are hoping for it to open mid morning but are recommending people wait further news when they get to Moutiers.
snow conditions
Road cleared and opened again.
latest report
Mike S wrote:
@ Lost in the trees. If you don't mind a 2 hr hard hike up from Les Allues, Le Refuge du Christ has a fantastic, outside, wood fired, Norwegian hot tub and sauna, with great views of Mont Blanc - on a clear day! www.lerefugeduchrist.com

Sounds amazing. I don't think my girlfriend would do a 4hr hike though.

Edit on reading a bit more le villard 1hr walk seems possible? Were staying in Les allues and will have cars. We have paid accomodation but if they would host 11 of us Laughing for sauna and jacuzzi followed by wine and raclette that could be a fun evening. I'll email them. Thanks for tip.

Great pics through the trees snowHead
ski holidays
@ Lost in trees FYI, the hot tub only seats a maximum of four and the sauna probably six. It is at least a good 1hr 20 mins from le Villard. Slightly further than from Les Allues but not quite so far to climb. You need to check the condition of the path. It is sometimes impassable. Recommend you take poles, as it can be quite slippery coming down.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Interesting looking at the warnings from the Val Thoren website about not going out alone/stay away from buildings and especially roofs as s serious amount of snow will be falling tonight...
snow report
Pretty grim in Meribel this morning. Very wet, sticky snow at resort level and none of the 3V links open. Avalanche risk 5/5!
ski holidays
Yup
We're in St martin - had to get a bus up to Les menuires where it's not much better.
We've pretty much already written today off and gone for a beer.
snow report
We skied this morning from La Tania up to Courcheval. Snow was fine actually,arguably better lower down than yesterday as not sticky!
latest report
thecremeegg wrote:
Still at Lyon with no update from Crystal....the worst travel company no contest!

Ski Total have taken that accolade since their acquisition by Hotel Plan in my opinion!
snow report
Very foggy in La Tania this morning still 5/5? Some forecasts say sun today? What’s the prognosis from around the area?
snow conditions
@on the rocks 3/5. Cloud has already burnt off and we now have sun & blue sky in Meribel. Delays to some, but not all, 3V links.
snow conditions
Sunny in Courch, valley cloud...
ski holidays
Can anyone make a new picture of the playground in Val Thorens after yesterday's snowfall frenzy? snowHead
latest report
So how low was the snow / rain line yesterday? We're staying in les allues next week, keen to hear how the red raffort down to there is looking.
ski holidays
hi, first time to courchvel 1850 goig this saturday for a week. i wanted to know if there are any decent gyms/ swimming pools/ sports centres? i was thinking something similar to one in val d'siere under the belevarde lift.
latest report
It was raining in Meribel on Sunday and Monday. Haven't been near Le Raffort today but most of the lower runs are pretty hard and icy. The upper pistes and even upper off piste conditions are still good. It was a beautiful sunny day today. Quite a contrast to yesterday!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 23-01-18 17:55; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy