Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to ski for a day near Lausanne?

Poster: A snowHead
I'll be staying in Lausanne 19th Dec - 5th Jan (cat sitting) and would like to do the odd day trip here & there skiing if possible (depending if it snows.)
Any suggestions & advice on where is good to ski & easy to get to via public transport would be greatly appreciated, as I am clueless. (Not been skiing for many years but would love to get back to it, I don't have my own ski gear.) Skullie
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You lucky Fitzwilliam!

Try Leysin- just along the lake to Aigle then up the valley- an hour?

Argentiere- an hour and a half?

Nendaz?

Champery- an hour
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Champery 90mins

Leysin better idea 65 mins

Argentiere poor 2hr 06

Nendaz 1hr 40ish

All per google.

Public transport in switzerland very used to skiers. Probably find a shop in Lausanne that will do cheap rentals.

Will the cat not mind?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thollon les Memises a possibility. Boat across the lake to Evian. Navette or taxi up to Thollon.

OK for a day. Best skiing views ever!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The boat is expensive but if you do take a trip over take the bus to Morzine and ski the PDS
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I challenge you to find a train station and ski lift closer together than Champery. There is a hire shop right there as well. Pretty scenic journey up from Monthey and that one lift (cable car) puts you right into the heart of the Swiss bit of the PDS.

If you have a car then day trips to all sorts of places are a doddle.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Leysin, Les Mosses, Villars, Les Diablerets, Champery, rocher des naye.. public transport to all is excellent.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Staying along the spine of the Rhone Valley - as has already been mentioned. Fantastic. And, in addition........., do not miss this........, time it right ex Lausanne, switch trains in Montreux and go up to the greater Gstaad - White Highlands region via the MOB train where that train drops you off right at the front door so to speak of numerous stations and picks you up to go back down. Easy as pie. The visuals on the MOB train are in a world of their own.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 27-10-17 17:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No need to go to Morzine to access the PDS Chatel is closer google gives it as 1 hour 8 minutes.

But Leysin is closer and is a good day out.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Second the recommendation for Leysin - we did it in 52 minutes from Lausanne suburbs by car. It's a real local resort with a lot to choose from, a great view from the revolving restaurant up top, and some great smaller places on the mountain to eat/relax. For train, though, Diablorets may be more accessible. Snow may be iffy at the beginning of your stay, so also don't forget Glacier 3000 for certain snow and really just about the most amazing views possible! Contact Neil and Sophie Sawyer in Leysin who can help you out at any of these places, as well as Portes de Soleil (good to have a guide there so you don't get stuck at the base on the French side - a very costly cab ride back to Switzerland once the lifts close!). They are awesome instructors (good idea to have at least one lesson if you haven't skied in a while), can help out with rentals and advice, and are so nice, they'd probably pick you up in Aigle for a day of skiing in Leysin or a ride to the other places if you are also booking lessons - they're not cheap but worth every centime!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wow thanks for all the info, seems I'll be spoilt for choice. I only knew of Les Diablerets. Leysin looks the quickest to get to, an hour or so, change trains at Aigle. Champery sounds really good too, tho a bit further away. Gstaad sounds glamourous & looks pretty, I will try that too if I have time. I don't drive (I lived in London so there was no need to) but am hoping to learn. This will be a re-learning to ski trip for me, I was intermediate so I'm hoping it will be like riding a bike & then go for a full skiing hol later depending on my fitness, I'm now in my 30's & not as healthy as I used to be. I wonder if there is a car pool community in Lausanne?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@tartegnin, Do you have contact details for the Sawyers please?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Leysin is great for a day, snow allowing of course. It's a nice little cog train from Aigle. Have a look at glocals.ch - it's an expat community and they do regular car pools and trips. Just put up a message saying you need a lift and you may well find somewhere. Verbier is an easy drive, you mayget lucky!

Plenty of rental shops in town, and also in resort. The big Coop does rentals.

Make sure you go to Bar Tabac, our favourite place. Tell Mehmet Russell sent you.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ElizabethLizzyLiz wrote:
... This will be a re-learning to ski trip for me, I was intermediate so I'm hoping it will be like riding a bike & then go for a full skiing hol later depending on my fitness, ...

Uh-oh, better get your finances in order Laughing
I re-started after a similar day trip to Garmisch. After that trip, and thanks to Snowheads, I was hooked (boots, merinos, lessons, skis, bashes etc) and am now the best skier on this forum Little Angel

Do let us know how you get on. I might be popping in to Lausanne/Geneva a few times this winter, and will try to squeeze in some daytrips. So your tips and experiences would be appreciated.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ElizabethLizzyLiz wrote:

They're my neighbours, pm me your email and I'll ask them to connect.
ski holidays
Rhoobarb wrote:

Make sure you go to Bar Tabac, our favourite place. Tell Mehmet Russell sent you.

Leysin night life must be passing me by, I've not heard of that. Where is it?
ski holidays
Is the Top Pub still any good, and what's the Vagabond like these days?
snow report
@TQA, Google isnt counting the bus times.
snow report
I meant in Lausanne, sorry. Was our go to spot in town - 60 Belgian beers!

ise wrote:
Rhoobarb wrote:

Leysin night life must be passing me by, I've not heard of that. Where is it?
latest report
Quite a handy ski resort map here of the area:
http://www.rogerlascellesmaps.co.uk/SkiRail_Product_Information.aspx?area=SkiRail_Product_Information
snow conditions
WindOfChange wrote:
what's the Vagabond like these days?

closed for 20 years
snow report
ElizabethLizzyLiz wrote:

Their website is leysinski.com

Feel free to pm me if you have any trouble contacting them - we skied with them every Sunday for about 6 years - like you, I hadn't skied for a long time (even longer than you!), and my husband and daughter had never skied. We are all three pretty good now - my daughter and I are even instructors now at our local "resort" near DC.

I cannot recommend them highly enough - it's pricey, but they earn every franc and really do go above and beyond. They will get your lift ticket for you (no lines!) and also help you out with rentals - there are a couple of decent rental shop in Leysin - no need to rent in Lausanne and lug them on the train. They will also meet up with you/take you to other places, including Glacier 3000 and PdS. They are great instructors and great company.

Am very jealous (we moved from Switzerland four years ago, and miss it every day!)

Have a fantastic trip (Lausanne is fun, too).
snow conditions
My suggestion of renting in Lausanne was purely on the grounds that in Geneva at least, if you are renting for the season, you get very cheap rates for long term rentals.

I presume the same counts in Lausanne.

If you are only there for that short period, rent in resort.
latest report
I misread and wondered where you were cat skiing in Lausanne. Leysin I'd say but techically you can get the train through to Verbier pretty easily.
snow report
If there is snow to low altitudes and you’re happy with a small place Les Pleiades, above Vevey, is easy to get to by train and cheap

http://www.goldenpass.ch/en/goldenpass/offer/view?id=23

Otherwise Villars, Diablerets and Leysin all good options. If there isn’t much snow about it’s worth going to Le Chable for Verbier as it’s at much higher altitude than the others (with the exception of glacier 3000 which will be a pain to get to by train and rammed if there’s no snow elsewhere)
latest report
Don't mess about with the cr*p resorts.

Visit the best.

Verbier (skiing).
Zermatt (atmosphere).
Wengen (scenery).
latest report
OP is a self-described intermediate skier with a big lapse in ski history - straight to a large resort in a foreign country may not be optimal, at least not without a guide/lessons.
ski holidays
tartegnin wrote:
OP is a self-described intermediate skier with a big lapse in ski history - straight to a large resort in a foreign country may not be optimal, at least not without a guide/lessons.

No need for drama.

All ski resorts are the same.

Just roll up to the nearest lift at 9am. Go to the top. Point your planks downhill. Turn a bit. Repeat for ~8 hours.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Les Diablerets is really pretty and has the glacier with a fantastic run down (on and off piste) but this year its lower Isenau area is out of action while they put in a new lift.You can get there from Aigle via a small train. You can also get to Villars from Aigle by picking up a bus , or a small cog railway from the next stop on the main line - Bex. It is linked to Les Diablerets. It will depend on snow conditions how much is open at Christmas but they both have snow making back to resort now. From Aigle you can also get to Champery and access the Portes du Soleil ski area. Champery is tucked into a narrow valley right under the Dents de Midi's towering peaks. There are regular trains from Lausanne to Aigle. All are intermediate level.
ski holidays
Train to Sion, bus to Nendaz, then ski bus to Siviez, if a day trip. From getting on train to getting on ski lift = 200m walk in total if that. 3 lifts to top of Month Fort. I've seen it done in ski boots from Geneva. Not the top of Mont Fort bit.
snow report
hors et en piste wrote:
but this year its lower Isenau area is out of action while they put in a new lift.

they'll need to find CHF 12.5 million first, given the investment the lift company needs to make for 2020 Youth Olympic Games I'd not rate their chances very highly. It'll be a nice little ski tour area this winter though.
snow report
The easiest has to be Verbier.

Train to Le Chable (OK you have to change in Martigny, but the trains are timetabled to connect without hassle).

Walk 50 meters, get on Gondola, 7 mins to Verbier town (no need to get off) another 7 mins to top...get off...and ski.

There is a rental shop (Montagne Show) in the gondola base, or one at the top of the gondola (Ski Service)
snow report
I would rent your gear from Migros on the edge of Lausanne and take it with you. Saves faffing when you get there. If you live close to Lausanne station, you can do the whole thing in your ski boots.

From Lausanne, it's easiest and quickest to get to the following train stations:
Verbier - As mentioned by others, take train to Le Chable (1h 23) and then gondola from there. You can also ski Bruson on the other side if Verbier is crowded.
Diablerets - train to Diablerets (1h 27, change from Lausanne at Aigle) then a short shuttle or longish walk.
Leysin - train change at Aigle (56 min) then a 10' walk to lift.
Champery - 1h 36 change at Aigle, but then you're right next to telecabine.
Gstaad - 1h 46 by train. Chateau d'Oex, Saanen and Rougemont are smaller ski areas, but respectively 4 min and 10 mins shorter.

There are many other resorts, but these require a bus or e.g. Zermatt are a bit far IMO for a day trip.
Villars is train - bus, but the bus connects pretty well.
Pretty much all Swiss ski resorts you can do by train and bus and usually the trains and buses connect pretty well. It depends on the distance and how early you're prepared to get up in the morning.

You can check the travel times and timetables on cff.ch, which also gives bus times.
snow conditions
Great guys thanks, I'm a tad overwhelmed & excited with all the info, it's gonna take some time to look into all this. No idea how I'll decide!
(For the record I'm not taking the cat skiing. Are there any youtube videos of cats skiing yet? Laughing )
snow conditions
rungsp wrote:
The easiest has to be Verbier.

Train to Le Chable (OK you have to change in Martigny, but the trains are timetabled to connect without hassle).

Walk 50 meters, get on Gondola, 7 mins to Verbier town (no need to get off) another 7 mins to top...get off...and ski.

There is a rental shop (Montagne Show) in the gondola base, or one at the top of the gondola (Ski Service)

Agree - short drive (or train), ample parking at Le Chable gondola, no getting off in Verbier, straight to the top, easy easy easy. Huge terrain, lots to explore.
ski holidays
snoozeboy wrote:
I would rent your gear from Migros on the edge of Lausanne and take it with you. Saves faffing when you get there. If you live close to Lausanne station, you can do the whole thing in your ski boots.

We used that to get skis for the whole season. Really easy and pretty reasonable.
ski holidays
This just came up on BookFace. Ferry from Lausanne, Navette up to Thollon or Bernex, Ski pass inclusive @32CHF https://www.lematin.ch/suisse/offre-cgn-ski-prix-casse-france-teste/story/28232572
snow report
@BergenBergen, Really like that idea - avoiding the obvious.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy