Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland Snow Reports 2017 / 2018

Poster: A snowHead
@Peter S, Hmm, maybe should have stayed closer to home! Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All "big 5" Scotland ski areas open today.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
arrrrr, thanks for pointing that out. i didnt realise that was half term week. we'll gave that weekend a miss then. thank you.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm not sure half term makes much difference for a weekend at Glencoe or Glenshee, does it? A little maybe at Nevis, forget going to Cairngorm obviously - will be rammed and so will the Lecht with overspill from Speyside. But many families of skiers are off to the Alps that week and Glencoe's smallish car park just gets full and there is nowhere else to park. If it's fully open (including the possibility of running the top button) the queues are manageable (10 mins-ish, less if you plan carefully and avoid the Cliffy wink ) Glenshee is a daytrip from Edinburgh & Aberdeen but there's not much accommodation/population within an hours drive. Royal Deeside might be famous but it's not exactly busy in winter.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fair point about Glencoe's car park limiting queues. Also a fair point that half term weekend may not be worse than a normal weekend at Glenshee. Anecdotally I do think it's usually a little busier on holiday weekends than regular weekends, but don't really have any proper evidence. However, queues certainly can be pretty long at Glenshee on any sunny weekend, especially if not all lifts open, as their car parks are massive! I would also say Glenshee is a day trip from Glasgow, despite Glencoe and Nevis being closer. So it has the largest catchment area, population wise.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Worth a trip up this Sun & Mon, you reckon? Forecast looks good as far as I can find one.
Glenshee useable (nearest) or best elsewhere? Cheers.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Definitely worth it I reckon. Glenshee might be quite busy on Sunday (not fully open either) but should be fine on Monday. If it was me, I'd be heading to Nevis on Sunday.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sadly i'm working the next 4 days, but even though Glenshee is only about an hour from my front door (Dundee), I think i'd be heading for Nevis this Sunday. Still a bit early season for the Back Corries but good cover, 6 -7 inches of fresh last night, and Sunday they're doing a full area ticket for £17.25.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Right, Nevis it is then Very Happy
Might try Glencoe on way home Monday.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The mighty Coe! :adore:
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Left home (near Edinburgh) at 6:25 this morning for a day trip to Glenshee. There was heavy sleet on the Edinburgh Bypass by it dried up as we approached the M8.
There was very little traffic all the way up the A93 but the road got a bit snowy around the Spittal. We were parked in the first row at 8:05 and when I got out I was surprised to be greeted by driving rain despite it being -2c! The were doing reduced price tickets and with my Scottish Ski Club 10% discount I paid £35 for my son and I.

There wasn't much in the way of uplift operating - Butcharts Access, Cairnwell, Claybokie, Dink Dink, Plastic and Baddoch Chair. There seemed to be plenty of snow on Sunnyside but they hadn't pisted it or the tow track. Cover was very varied. There was a lot of windblown snow and some bare patches but in other areas there was some great cover. With so little uplift open queues were a problem. The Cairnwell T-Bar track wasn't great and near the top the snow had blown away entirely leaving just heather with a bit of ice.

At around 11:00 (when this photo was taken) I could see the Piste Basher over on Sunnyside. From the top of Cairnwell it looks as though Coire Fionn and Glas Moal are well loaded and if the snow stays and we get more, then it is looking very promising.

Unfortunately just after this photo was taken my son had a big spill in some powder near a fence and took a bang to the hip and seems to have pulled his hip flexor. As he was getting checked out by the Ski Patrol I heard on the radio they were opening Sunnyside after lunch.

It wasn't a bad day. It was disappointing they didn't have more open but from speaking to a couple of instructors I know, the main reason seems to be a lack of staff rather than lack of snow.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 7-01-18 11:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looks a good day today. All the Scottish centres open. Glencoe looking good for so early in the season
http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nevis Range today - mostly ungroomed, or semi groomed at best, bumps forming, variable snow but generally nice, certainly good enough, some deep, some rocks/turf, bit hard/icy on bottom runs end of day. Great fun for those with fitness, technique and wider skis but many struggling, most action on Goose area.

Great day, excellent viability, no wind.

Only bummer - Quad chair broke down (poor sods stuck on it for over an hour), Summit tow kept breaking, so only 1 poma and 1 T bar working, queues abysmal, up to an hour on Alpha poma to get up to Goose T bar (not too bad a queue, considering), fairly long waits on Summit tow when working. Quad chair seems fixed later..?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
^^^^An hour's wait for Alpha Tow not too bad?? Shocked

Surely better to walk across to Goose Quad in about 10 mins Question

Good to see Nevis doing good business - but glad we stuck with our local north Pennines area (Weardale) today, which was fun - and 1hr drive vs just under 5hrs to Nevis...

Pencilled in for Scotland next weekend...weather permitting rolling eyes
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@mountainaddict,
Sorry, bad English whilst knackered - the queue for the Goose T Bar wasn't too bad considering the number of people, doubling everyone up. Was about 5 mins, the only other tow running.

Seems Quad chair isn't running today according to website.

Maybe we should also have stuck local - but was hoping for chairlifts for my knackered knees + snowboarder. Hey ho, best laid plans.
ski holidays
Headed up to Glencoe with a pal yesterday, lots of snow but very thin in places. Spring run and the main basin were pretty decent, think I need a pair of Scotland specific skis!
latest report
This from the BBC today http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-42603690.
@RosigLOL, I think you will find that all the areas have thin snow in places so some "rock bashers" essential, didn't get up this weekend due to a bad cold but OH had a good day at Cairngorm.
ski holidays
@larry1950, there's an errant full stop at the end of your hyperlink (might be worth editing?).

Sounds like Nevis Range had a difficult day yesterday with lift issues causing queues, but otherwise a good weekend (and the weather outlook is promising).
ski holidays
Stayed up at Braemar this week with the family and visited Glenshee on Friday (sledging with kids), Saturday (1/2 day afternoon pass) and Sunday (headed to Glenshee which was packed so went to Lecht instead, which was almost equally busy with crazy car parking but it was closer to home in Aberdeen). I was disappointed Glenshee didn't have more of Sunnyside open. Speaking to some locals on Saturday evening over the back towards Glas Maol is apparently in good condition its just getting more runs on Sunnyside open to allow more uplift and options back - yet they looked ok and the one run they did have open I thought was fine. I also heard that its only 4 full days for Glenshee to breakeven in a year which then makes it odd that they wouldn't go all out to try and make sure as much as possible was open on such a great day weather wise as yesterday and also they would be able to charge full whack. Other than staff (as referred to above), does anyone know why or if there are any plans to open this week as it looks to be staying cold Very Happy PS - like previous poster Gaza my son managed to ski into a fence which ended the day. Right or passage for a Scottish skier Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
@riman8, I'd expect glenshee to be open as long as there is snow and the winds aren't too fierce! They are open today

decent video here https://www.facebook.com/newheightsvideography/videos/1609067382465678/
ski holidays
@riman8, 4 full days to break even at Glenshee? That sounds very unlikely to me...
snow conditions
Glencoe today - beautiful clear, crisp and sunny, some wind but rarely an issue.
Again, not for the faint hearted (or faint of knee..). Generally good snow, reasonably deep in places, a fair bit non-groomed and playable in. Wouldn't describe it as thin, but some (sometimes large) rocks and gravel/stones underfoot. Top & mid runs good snow, tho' some around the access chair &plateau poma unpleasantly icy. Definitely off-piste fun to be had, if not deep. Mugs Alley (and surrounding area) provided good pisted options accessible from the Cliffhanger chair.
Top section "blues" (right...) open, top reds and mid reds unpisted but useable. Many runs "interesting" in terms of steep and thin sections, lots of rollers, mixed hardpack/windscour and soft/deep snow - but nothing new for anyone who knows it, I guess (my first visit). A lot of good folk out enjoying it, on skis and boards.
snow conditions
Glencoe skiable to carpark (valley floor).

http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/displaypic.php?id=34824,1269#start
ski holidays
http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/

Looking fab again today. ben Nevis clearly showing up from the Ski Club camera.
snow report
Models have been pretty consistent in forecasting a bit of wind especially Sunday and snow starting sometime over the weekend and getting heavier at the start of next week. I’m looking more at the weekend after rather than this coming weekend. Kids very keen to experience the Cliffy, wife rather less enthusiastic but I’m sure she’ll love the views, especially from the access chair on the way back down!
snow report
@what...snow, yup MWIS is saying the following, so I'm starting to think when/if I can get up!

All mountain areas of Britain from Friday 12th January 2018

Generally dry and cold conditions will continue into the weekend, with terrain remaining extensively frozen. Southeasterly winds will strengthen, to gale force in some areas for periods. Fronts will encroach in from the west, resulting in a period of snow for the Scottish Highlands by about Sunday night into Monday, but turning to rain up toward higher tops in England & Wales. Thereafter, the freezing level will drop in all areas. A showery week ahead is likely, with accumulating snow and staying below freezing on the mountains throughout the week. Periods of westerly gales are possible.
ski holidays
The weekend of 20/21 is currently forecast to be a superb weekend for skiing in Scotland. All resorts are due a large dump of snow between now and Friday 19th, with the weekend of 20 and 21 due to be very low wind, clear skies, and well below zero temperatures.

Accomodation could be in short supply if you leave it last minute.

https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/white_corries_glencoe

I was in Glencoe yesterday

It is still early season conditions there, with plenty of hazards for the unwary. (I hit a rock going too fast in a run down to plateau poma, and that tested the bindings on my skis: they released) The beginner areas were mainly in good condition though. I went because it was a nice day, rather than try to break my leg on closed steeps. The hazards should get covered with the forecast snow dump over the next week.

Forecast is very good for mid-end January skiing in Scotland.
latest report
Can I ask where you're getting your information? Anything I check suggests it's mainly the west coast getting snow, with Glenshee & the east getting very little. I'd be delighted to be proved wrong.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Cairngorm/6day/mid

On Sunday there is forecast to be rain, most of which will fall on the west coast. Thereafter, it looks like snow everywhere.
snow report
We're using the same forecasting programme then; still reads as Glencoe getting loads more than Glenshee, but here's hoping.
latest report
Weather warning for snow Scotland Monday.
snow report
McKenzie wrote:
I was just a few miles south of Glenshee yesterday & there was no snow to speak of at all. Then drove south & there was much more to be seen when I passed Hillend & the hills I could see further south looked even more promising still.

All the snow is gone at hillend and on the pentlands now Sad
snow report
Had a great day up at Cairngorm a week ago. No wind and great visibility. It wasn't half as busy as I thought it would be.

Snow forecast for early next week. So hopefully the resorts can get going again.
latest report
young_bairn wrote:
hopefully the resorts can get going again.

How do you mean get going again? They all have snow but some were closed by wind speed yesterday
snow report
I skied at Glenshee a week past Saturday & it was really great; I've been keeping a very close eye on it with a view to planning the next visit but it doesn't look very tempting at all, with bare patches, heather & mud showing through everywhere. However the forecast I just looked at suggested there would be 27cms on Wednesday which would get things going again in time for my next trip.
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
young_bairn wrote:
hopefully the resorts can get going again.

How do you mean get going again? They all have snow but some were closed by wind speed yesterday

Pretty obvious what I meant Jesus. A lot of wind and a bit of a thaw has seen some tows close and conditions deteriorate. Hopefully some nice fresh stuff this week rolling eyes
snow report
@young_bairn, yes, but "get going again" perhaps wasn't the best choice of words. It grated a bit with me too. Conditions weren't really poor at any of the ski centres, though a bit limited at Glenshee.

This week's snow and low temps should improve conditions significantly, especially in the west.
ski holidays
Judging by the forecast the Pentland Alps might end up in play !
latest report
Had plans to go back to Glenshee this weekend but decided that after a week of man-flu I didn't fancy a 4 hours round trip to ski on mud and rocks. Hoping the Lecht gets a good dump this week as I've a B&B booked in Tomintoul as my son is racing at the Gordon Skiers Open.
ski holidays
I know everyone will
Have different views but in general would you head to Nevis range or Glenshee?

Our first time in Scotland and I read a lot about Nevis range and it’s high winds and bad visibility!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy