Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites Weather/Snow Report (& useful links) 2017/18

Poster: A snowHead
What a day in the Dolomites!! Clear blue sky, cold air, no wind, great snow... it really doesn't get better than this snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Enjoy! It looks like you have a nice week ahead of you. Maybe a little bit more wind and cloud but on the whole it's looking like a great week.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Happy The snow is holding up well despite it being a week since it last snowed. Some areas getting a bit scrapy but on the whole it's good. The forecast has been consistently useless so far so I've stopped looking at it wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pistes pretty much perfect above Corvara today. Easy skiing everywhere. Plenty of people about but no queues or busy pistes.

Bergfex says it’s ok tomorrow with good viz but windy at altitude. Warmer air temps but it probably won’t feel it. We could see the bad weather to the north over the alpine ridge. It’s clouded over tonight.

So far so good Cool
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Such a fantastic day today. Did the red Grande Guerra with a trip up Mermolada. Loved every minute of it and the snow was great
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Such a fantastic day today. Did the red Grande Guerra with a trip up Mermolada. Loved every minute of it and the snow was great
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@darbyrw, Twice in one day...impressive!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
darbyrw wrote:
a trip up Mermolada

Now there's a fishy tail, old fruit! Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A bit more cloud & wind today as the weather starts to spill over from the NW. Forecasts are suggesting that some northern areas of S Tyrol may get an appreciable snowfall over the next 72hrs, areas further S just a dusting maybe. High wind speeds at altitude may hamper ski enjoyment at times though.

The weekend's action seems to have slipped away for now.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
So, booked for Selva in just over 3 weeks. Got a few more days to decide whether to cancel and book elsewhere or stick with Selva. What are the snow conditions like? Is it hard packed on the pistes? Or soft under foot?

Any off-piste and side-piste fresh to smash?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Aussieboarder wrote:
So, booked for Selva in just over 3 weeks. Got a few more days to decide whether to cancel and book elsewhere or stick with Selva. What are the snow conditions like? Is it hard packed on the pistes? Or soft under foot?

Any off-piste and side-piste fresh to smash?

Is this a wind up ?

What are the snow conditions like - excellent.

Is it hard packed on the piste - er, yes, the pistes are compacted by the piste bashers.

Any off-piste to "smash". Yes, but it may be tracked out in three weeks if there isn't any fresh snowfall.

Having said that it's probably best that you book elsewhere. rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
re previous but one post...As is obvious from pretty much all forecast threads websites. What is now, won't be in all probability in 3 weeks. Dolomites has the best artificial snowmaking, - the only certaintly you have 3 weeks out.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the helpful responses
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’m going in 5 weeks or so for the 9th time. The snow has always been good to great. I’m always watching the snow forecast but ultimately it’s pointless as it changes so frequently. All I can say it’s a fantastic place and the snow has always been good. Off piste is usually tracked out in a few days so that depends more on getting snowfall immediately prior or whilst you are there. This has happened quite a lot for me when I’ve been. Also the people and food are great

I guess if you only want off piste then possibly there are better places with larger off piste areas. On piste is fantastic and I’ve never had a problem overly with ice either due to the excellent piste maintenance

Hope this is helpful
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another cracking day in the Dolomites snowHead An overnight topup of fresh snow combined with sunshine... fantastic!

Snow forecast tomorrow, possibly large quantities.
snow conditions
Had a fantastic day in Corvara, Colfosco and Val Gardena today. Brilliant conditions and as @moosepig, says topped up overnight. If I knew how to I would post some pics here!!
snow conditions
Where was the forecast wind ? Flat calm up at sant Croce today. Pistes absolutely perfect.

Pretty much a full house in terms of lifts and slopes open.

Tomorrow also forecast windy but this time from the north west. Have to see if that affects our plan to do the SR. Less sunny tomorrow but a bit colder. We can see the bad weather just to
The north trapped by the alpine ridge. It’s just like the Pennine rain shadow. Cool

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 16-01-18 19:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Peter S wrote:
Where was the forecast wind ? Flat calm up at sant Croce today. Pistes absolutely perfect.

ARPAV had this on their forecast for today...

'Clima ventoso in alta quota per sostenuti venti da Ovest.'

'Windy climate at high altitude due to sustained winds from the west.'

http://www.arpa.veneto.it/previsioni/it/html/meteo_dolomiti.php

I guess that Santa Croce isn't that high and you were sheltered from the Westerly flow by the Puez-Odle range on the opposite side of the valley ....maybe if you were atop the Marmolada, you would have felt it! Skullie

Great that you had a nice day though!! Very Happy
latest report
Any intel from the Skirama areas? Couple of 15cm events in the forecast/current.
latest report
The GFS ensembles are showing a lot of activity for the 25th of this month, suggestive of heavyish snow. Yet Bergfex (ZAMG - which I think uses ECM) shows beautiful sunshine for the 25th with no snow. Which one will triumph? I will be in St Ulrich then so am keeping a close eye on things snowHead
latest report
I am out next week and watching the reports with interest. Can someone tell me if there is a beginner lift pass in corvara and what lifts it covers?
snow report
wam15 wrote:
I am out next week and watching the reports with interest. Can someone tell me if there is a beginner lift pass in corvara and what lifts it covers?

Don't think so - only the Alta Badia pass

https://www.altabadia.org/en/winter-holidays/ski-holidays-dolomites/alta-badia-lift-pass.html

Even a beginner will need the gondola to get up onto the plateau where all those lovely blue runs are.

edited to add - just remembered there is a "points" pass which is probably what you need for the first couple of days on the drag lifts.
snow report
The points pass looks perfect for the first few days. Thanks for that.
snow report
Well that was a day. Other than rain, there wasn't much weather we didn't have. High winds closed the Pordoi pass this morning and again later this afternoon, in between was breezy and calm; sunny and cloudy; snowing and not snowing - all depending where you were exactly. It's snowing again now and hopefully tomorrow will see less wind, more sun and less being blasted with ice particles so our planned clockwise circuit of the Sellaronda can go ahead. I haven't seen the forecast but it's not been any use so far so hope is the best option snowHead
snow conditions
@moosepig, Just had a look at the Arabba live cam (whilst sat in the UK) - the whole thing is shaking in the wind...
snow conditions
@albob, yep, it's gone a bit bonkers just now.
snow conditions
Just read the latest from Tignes/Val. @chocksaway's description of the wind could also apply here, docile one minute and vicious the next.
snow report
Yes windier today but still cam in the lower runs. At the passes it was rather unpleasant but only the podium lifts closed. Visibility was variable. Only managed half the sella Ronda but pistes in fantastic condition with a dusting of new snow.

May head over to selva again tomorrow. Forecast is for more sun and slightly lower win speeds. Looking at radar the alpine ridge is doing a good job at holding the bad weather to the north.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

Sante croce yesterday.
snow conditions
Peter S wrote:

Sante croce yesterday.

Nice photo! I'm always undecided whether to leave my skis at the top of the chairlift and hike up to the hospice and then walk down, or lug my skis up and then ski down. It's a tough life being on holiday in the Dolomites Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Staying in Selva in 5 and a bit weeks and can't wait. Never been to the Dolomites.

Does anybody use the Dolomite app on their phones or is it as hopeless as most resort apps...?
snow report
Staying in Corvara in March so looking forward to skiing over to Santa Croce one day for lunch - the last few times we've been to the Dolomites we've stayed in a place just the other side of the valley so been miles away at lunchtime.
snow report
FrequentFaller wrote:
Staying in Selva in 5 and a bit weeks and can't wait. Never been to the Dolomites.

Does anybody use the Dolomite app on their phones or is it as hopeless as most resort apps...?

Not used the app - will try it this year, it looks quite good.
I would recommend getting hold of the relevant paper piste maps for the different areas apart from Val Gardena you plan to go to - Alta Badia, Arabba etc because the large area map on the back is a bit too large. The Sella Ronda routes are well marked with green and orange signs but for the various worthwhile excursions off the circuit it's useful to have a decent map. Please come back here to let us know how you get on with the app - maybe a trip report in the relevant bit of the forum?
I'm being a bit selfish as I'm there a couple of weeks after you snowHead
ski holidays
If you would like a technical map of the entire Sella Ronda & surrounding areas, there's this one available.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Valli-Ladine-Sellaronda-ski-maps/dp/8883150953?tag=amz07b-21

Published in 2014, so may be missing one or two of the very newest lifts.
snow conditions
The forecast for next week is looking like plenty of sunshine and warmer than average.

I suspect it will be lovely weather to be out in but maybe not great for the snow. Having said that, there's plenty of snow on the ground and a week of warmish weather isn't going to destroy it. There might even be another 6 inches of snow coming before it warms up which should make for a perfect week if anyone is going to be there.
ski holidays
pjd wrote:
Peter S wrote:

Sante croce yesterday.

Nice photo! I'm always undecided whether to leave my skis at the top of the chairlift and hike up to the hospice and then walk down, or lug my skis up and then ski down. It's a tough life being on holiday in the Dolomites Madeye-Smiley

I tend to leave my skis at the top of the chairlift and walk up to the hospice (but taking my ski poles with me as they help particularly with walking back down afterwards). Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Well the SCGB forecast was wrong about snow and Bergfex was wrong about the wind, and it was a perfect day for our clockwise Sellaronda trip with a diversion to Ortisei. Fresh snow overnight made for great conditions early on but as always it had all been scraped into bumps by lunchtime. Another great day in the Dolomites snowHead Last day tomorrow. Not going to bother with the forecasts wink
ski holidays
Fabby day. Light winds today at altitude. Sunny all day but cold. Everything open. Pistes a bit lumpy after another couple of inches of new snow last night.

Should be pisted to easy

perfection tomorrow.

Forecast is another sunny day tomorrow. Light winds except around the passes. Cool

Sella Grupp from jimmys hut.
latest report
@Peter S, Is it better than Yad Moss? open tomorrow you know! Not jealous at all.
snow report
Forecasts suggest that it's going cold at the weekend with the possibility of some new snow, then warms up significantly next week, +5C at 2600m, +9C in the valley at Arabba on Wed.

We don't want Spring to arrive just yet!! snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy