Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites Weather/Snow Report (& useful links) 2017/18

Poster: A snowHead
moosepig wrote:
Quote:

Bergfex suggests cool air temps & mostly sunny for next 9 days

Oddly the Ski Club weather forecast for Arabba says 7 days of snowfall starting on Saturday. I hope you're right and the Ski Club has it wrong snowHead

Think you'll find ski club have it wrong!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@admin, SCGB. I'm more inclined to trust @luigi's forecast as I could do with a week of sun wink Cool
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hoping the Dolomites are going to be drier, more sheltered and clearer during next weeks northerly onslaught Puzzled

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 12-01-18 14:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/15954544730/permalink/10156031809294731/
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For those that understand 'squiggly' lines = this is for Selva

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
moosepig wrote:
@admin, SCGB. I'm more inclined to trust @luigi's forecast as I could do with a week of sun wink Cool

I was just reading it from Bergfex, now showing cold & snow by the end of next week, but 9 days in weather is a very long time.

https://www.bergfex.com/arabba/wetter/berg/

So don't go betting your house on it either way!! Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@albob, do you understand that? means f+++ all to me!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@scotspikey, you need to be in this thread Smile

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=14852

Don't quote me on this - but, the bottom scale marked 'precipitations' shows a peak on the 26/01 (blue line) ; combine that with the other squiggles and you have a good indication that 'precipations' will turn to snow....

But the 26th is a long way off
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Went on away day to Cortina and hidden valley today. Coach trip over Passo Pordoi and Falzarego was breathtaking, like a scene from a tourist office website, photos and videos will bring back great memories in summer. Snow conditions very good at Cortina and hidden valley with firm snow at Cortina in morning and few crowds. Good trading for the horse taxi at HV. If you've never visited the Dolomites then it's a must do.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@luigi, It was a beautiful sunny day in the mountains; I got some great pics.
I was in and around Ciampac, Belvedere, Passo Pordoi.
My tactile (loves squeezing my knee - hasn't he seen the news in the last year?!) instructor says it will be an even sunnier day tomorrow. Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Schnorrr, You must have gone on the Crystal organised trip.......
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cinsha wrote:
@luigi, It was a beautiful sunny day in the mountains; I got some great pics.
I was in and around Ciampac, Belvedere, Passo Pordoi.
My tactile (loves squeezing my knee - hasn't he seen the news in the last year?!) instructor says it will be an even sunnier day tomorrow. Very Happy

Sounds like you're having a great time! snowHead

I'm sure the knee-squeezes are all an essential part of the instruction, they probably aid circulation to the lower leg or something!! wink

Beware though, if it's sunnier tomorrow, you'll be skiing faster and he might need to look to improve circulation to the thigh muscles!! Shocked
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@albob, ffs. The day before I go! Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@scotspikey, Sadly, from experience, it often disappears (like a snowflake melting..)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
albob wrote:
@scotspikey, you need to be in this thread Smile

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=14852

Don't quote me on this - but, the bottom scale marked 'precipitations' shows a peak on the 26/01 (blue line) ; combine that with the other squiggles and you have a good indication that 'precipations' will turn to snow....

But the 26th is a long way off

Not quite but your on the right track. The blue line (control run) is the only one showing the peak. The operational run and the other 20 pertubations do not show the peak. Thus the chances of it actually happenning, especially that far out, are pretty remote (but not impossible). Its when all the lines converge (meaning that the different runs agree on a particular outcome) that you can have confidence of it happening (though still no guarantee)

From that chart, my take is that precipitation is possible between 16th and 21st, though not a great amount of it. But I wouldnt say that at this stage, there is a great deal of agreement on this, hence I would be cautious until closer to the time. Good news though is that it looks like it will be colder than average for quite a while!! Very Happy
ski holidays
@jimmybog, NIce clear explanation - tks
snow report
albob wrote:
@jimmybog, NIce clear explanation - tks

Thanks, its one those things I understand it in my mind but find it hard to explain on paper.

Just realised you actually posted a link to the topic where it explains it better than I can.
ski holidays
@luigi, Laughing
Unfortunately tomorrow is departure day. Enjoy the Sun those that remain.
Chatted to another instructor on a lift this pm. He told me lots of interesting stuff, then just before I got off, he squeezed my knee too!!!! Shocked Puzzled Smile
ski holidays
@Cinsha, they only squeeze your knee on the chairlift because you are sitting down and so they cannot pinch your backside? Shocked
Ducks quickly before being accused of willfully insulting all male Italian ski instructors Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
@SteveM, You just had me doing a v unladylike guffaw! 😆
snow conditions
@SteveM, Your knowledge and experience of skiing in Italy knows no bounds Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@ALQ, but I keep my hands to myself ....
On second thoughts maybe your mind will misinterpret that one as well, @ALQ Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
@Cinsha, Cool
latest report
@SteveM, Toofy Grin
You know me too well Captain. Laughing
ski holidays
Bergfex now showing a serious dump for next weekend, 20th/21st January, up to 85cm in the Sella Ronda area. Not a reliable forecast 8 days away, I know, but hope any snowHeads don't have travel problems as a result.

How long is it since the Dolomites had so much snow?
latest report
I think I might have posted a historical snowfall list for the Dolomites a while back in another thread. I’ll see if I can find it.
snow report
I can’t comment on current levels because I’m not there until end of Feb but I believe 2013/2014 was the year the village was cut off by an avalanche and the the chairlift near Malaga Ciapela was also taken out by a slide. I remember a local saying they’d had 7m of snowfall by the time we had arrived in Feb that season. I think that was the season that affected the Birthday Bash as well
snow report
Read somewhere that 13/14 was the biggest since the 1950s.

Their USP however is their ability to open almost all runs without natural snow. snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here's the recent snowfall I posted on last years thread. This is from onthesnow.co.uk for Val Gardena but is probably good enough for our purposes.

2017: 100 cm
2016: 214 cm
2015: 142 cm
2014: 766 cm
2013: 572 cm
2012: 356 cm
2011: 120 cm
2010: 353 cm
2009: 462 cm

It looks as if so far this season they've had about 200cm which might be under reported but probably isn't far off. There certainly hasn't been a major snow storm that leads to the massive dumps of snow like 2014.

I think the main thing this year has been a halfway decent amount of snowfall and staying cold so it hasn't all melted away. No where near a record though.
snow report
olderscot wrote:
Here's the recent snowfall I posted on last years thread. This is from onthesnow.co.uk for Val Gardena but is probably good enough for our purposes.

2017: 100 cm
2016: 214 cm
2015: 142 cm
2014: 766 cm
2013: 572 cm
2012: 356 cm
2011: 120 cm
2010: 353 cm
2009: 462 cm

It looks as if so far this season they've had about 200cm which might be under reported but probably isn't far off. There certainly hasn't been a major snow storm that leads to the massive dumps of snow like 2014.

I think the main thing this year has been a halfway decent amount of snowfall and staying cold so it hasn't all melted away. No where near a record though.

Interesting, thanks. I guess a better question would be about snow cover rather than snow fall.
ski holidays
Quote:

I guess a better question would be about snow cover rather than snow fall.

It kind of depends what you're concerned about. You can also find statistics on snow depth but they tend to be piste based and will include artificial snow making which the Dolomites are excellent at.

I think one of the key things to remember about the Dolomites is that the annual snowfall can be very variable but as a result they've invested heavily in snow making so on piste conditions are nearly always excellent. The weather conditions are often clear and sunny with occasional spells of sometimes heavy snow and it's that sunshine record which draws people there (along with the food, culture, friendliness, value, excellent snow making, stunning views. etc, etc)
latest report
olderscot wrote:
Quote:

I guess a better question would be about snow cover rather than snow fall.

It kind of depends what you're concerned about. You can also find statistics on snow depth but they tend to be piste based and will include artificial snow making which the Dolomites are excellent at.

I think one of the key things to remember about the Dolomites is that the annual snowfall can be very variable but as a result they've invested heavily in snow making so on piste conditions are nearly always excellent. The weather conditions are often clear and sunny with occasional spells of sometimes heavy snow and it's that sunshine record which draws people there (along with the food, culture, friendliness, value, excellent snow making, stunning views. etc, etc)

Shhhh - we don’t want it getting too popular wink
snow conditions
Quote:

Shhhh - we don’t want it getting too popular

I know what you mean but I suspect that cat is well and truly out of the bag.

We discovered Corvara via the wonder that is Snowheads and will be going again in February for the third year running. Last year there could well have been double the number of brits versus the previous year (the numbers really caught the local ski school by surprise) and from what I'm hearing on here I suspect this year there will be more again.

So, yes. While I'd love to keep it our little secret I somehow think it wouldn't be right not to let other snowheads know what a great place it is.

This year at half term it's going to be heaving (at least for the Dolomites) with the clash with Carnivale. I'm sure the pistes and lifts will cope though, just it might be a good time to visit some of the quieter rifugios for lunch.
snow conditions
Yes it’s the reliability of the skiing that is more important than the amount of snowfall or the depth of the piste. At least if you are on a 6 day piste holiday.

The shelter that makes the Dolomites unreliable for natural snowfall makes it reliable for skiing.

Consequently they seem to be able to open virtually all of their runs and lifts before Christmas and keep them open virtually every day through to April. Each year They seem to lose Hardly any days to late starts, gales or avalanche problems. More often than not visibility is good.

All of which no doubt contributes to good business.
ski holidays
Has anyone skied the Serrai di Sottoguda this season, as part of the Grande Guerra ski tour?

Just wondered what the natural snow conditions were like in the canyon, as I’m thinking of doing this again. Only done this once before and it was amazing
ski holidays
pokemon wrote:
Has anyone skied the Serrai di Sottoguda this season, as part of the Grande Guerra ski tour?

Just wondered what the natural snow conditions were like in the canyon, as I’m thinking of doing this again. Only done this once before and it was amazing

I'm hoping for another go too. Was pretty icy last time I did it, though just about skiable. Amazing views of the climbers on the frozen waterfalls.
latest report
Cinsha wrote:
@Schnorrr, You must have gone on the Crystal organised trip.......

Yep, long day but enjoyable. Trust your return journey was smoother than outbound. Now home, I'm certainly missing seeing snow capped mountains and a white street outside. May have to book a trip for March ☺.
ski holidays
Forecast sun failed to make an appearance today with conditions overcast. Thick cloud layer from about 2400m up. Light flat from mid afternoon. Snow still excellent though there are a few places where the fresh snow has been scraped off leaving an icy surface. Today the famous Dolomites scenery was mostly absent behind the clouds. Here's hoping tomorrow's forecast sun shows itself.
snow report
Looking across this week, the main features are the NW Atlantic Fronts hitting the N Alps from Tues to Thurs in an arc from Savoie in France round to Upper Austria, with possible 1m-plus accumulations at the French end.

It doesn't look like the Dolomites will extract much from this, maybe just a few dustings or light snowfalls with many sunny spells in between, probably more accumulations in areas closest to the Austrian border. It looks like something a little more substantial may be in the offing for next weekend though.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 15-01-18 12:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Some great 360-degree panorama views of all the main Dolomiti Superski areas brought to you by Topviewski...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/contrib/102369821656524196494/photos/

More photos load up in the side panel.

They're all taken on crystal clear days with good snowcover in previous seasons, but I bet they could get similar images today judging by the cams! snowHead

https://www.bergfex.com/campitello-fassatal-col-rodella-val-fassa/webcams/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy