Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Northern Powderhouse 2017/18 (Raise, Yad Moss, Weardale and Allenheads)

Poster: A snowHead
Article in the Daily Mail yesterday about Raise. Fabulous pictures however. Scan down for the superb ‘hi viz’ pics of Stuart the club engineer and his dog Ben. Laughing

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5243449/Continuing-cold-snap-11-C-tonight.html

Stuart won’t be pleased about being described in those pictures as a ‘skier’ Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
There is dedication to skiing, and then there is that
Japan it most certainly is not - but sliding on lift-served snow for up to half a mile...an hour from home...in England...What's not to like Powderaddict?? Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks like a little bit of poma abuse going on in those picture of Raise. There'll be none of that exotic leg folding one ski action at Yad!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great stuff. The two legged guy needs to bend his knees, not at the waist, but Ben is an expert.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PowderAdict wrote:
There is dedication to skiing, and then there is that Shocked

If it wasn't for the lift/netting in the first picture, I wouldn't have recognized that as a piste.

Some seasons it's all grass an optimism but as mountain addict said - it's local. We have elevated combat skiing to an art form in the Pennines!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Looks like an ideal set up for Raise next week. Returning Polar Maritime air bring snow from the west.

Hopefully the showers will get across to the North Pennines too. Westerly is a good direction for Weardale too, but is straight up the slope at Yad Moss. Still..... good potential for later next week. keep watching the weather snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Currently snowing on Kirkstone pass. Decent prospects for Raise and Yad moss?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Currently snowing on Kirkstone pass. Decent prospects for Raise and Yad moss?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looks like a dig out may be on the cards at Raise with all the westerly snow forecast this week.
snowHead
It’s not a great direction for Yad moss though. Straight up the slope at the moment.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
It’s not a great direction for Yad moss though. Straight up the slope at the moment.
But don't they have a piste basher driver who can piste a pig's ear into a silk purse?? wink

Fairly hopeful of some Pennines or Lakes action at the weekend - though wondering whether to go the extra (500) mile(s) and go up up to Scotland as it looks like it could be epic, especially in the west.

Choices, choices.... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snow-forecast.com now indicating:

- Saturday: Cold & sunny; freezing level below the Pennines & Lake District slopes - so looking good after the snow that's forecast tonight and the cold forecast on Thursday and Friday Very Happy.

- Sunday: Freezing level above the summits....with rain Confused

Here's hoping that that's wrong for Sunday... rolling eyes
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yad moss on standby for Friday and the weekend. A decision will be made on the website tonight.
http://web108.extendcp.co.uk/yadmoss.co.uk/webcams/
snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yad moss is go again tomorrow Friday 10:30.

Looks like reasonable cover. Inevitably some thin bits.
http://web108.extendcp.co.uk/yadmoss.co.uk/opening-times/

A few snow showers tomorrow. Cold westerly wind.

Have fun. snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yad Moss operational. Weardale looking good Cool

http://www.skiweardale.com/
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can anyone clarify, please? Can season ticket holders at Yad ski at any time for £10 at Weardale and/or Allenheads? i.e. even if it is WD members only at weekends and 'peak weekend' at AH? This is what the YM site suggests, but not clear from the others' sites.
Question doubtless valid for season ticket holders for the other 'resorts' too. Ta.
snow conditions
Yes it’s a reciprocal arrangement. According to the Yad moss website. You will need evidence of YM seasonal ticket however eg. Email receipt with name.
ski holidays
Poor old poma lift at Yad Moss, struggling a fair bit all day under heavy demand (and a lovely day it was, too), finally gave up the ghost this afternoon. See their website for details but could be few days + until is mended Sad
ski holidays
Not too serious I am assured.
latest report
Pretty decent conditions at Weardale today - mainly packed power with some thinner/worn bits here and there.

Could only stay until about 11.15 as due elsewhere but enjoyed it and never more than a couple of minutes to queue - though mostly less than that.

Open again tomorrow, although warming up in the afternoon.
snow conditions
Lovely conditions on Raise yesterday, the best snow cover I've experienced there. I took my 14yo soon for the first time, and once he got over the shock of the walk he had a great time. Very busy, the club reckoned 90 people there, so there was some queueing.
snow conditions
A few Weardale pics from our second consecutive day - Sun 21 Jan 2018. Forecast was wrong - it didn't warm up in the afternoon. In fact fairly heavy snow set in and conditions became excellent. Hardly anyone there so a good time had by all Smile - and vindicated in our decision to not go to (the west of) Scotland and sit in the car on the gridlocked A82...

snow conditions

Raise operational today. looks nice Cool

https://www.flickr.com/photos/raise_up_dated_pics/39008142145/
latest report
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcty7kebu#?date=2018-02-05

a cold week in the Lakeland hills coming up. Should be good for Raise as they still have a base.

Fingers crossed for Yad Moss....once the catcher has been put back together after the damage it sustained last week.
snow report
Raise are operational today.
Snow cover at Yad moss and wear dale is currently insufficient however The forecast is for more snow today so we are planning to run tomorrow. Hurray.

The next week is looking COLD. snowHead
latest report
Yad Moss will run tomorrow from 10:30

http://web108.extendcp.co.uk/yadmoss.co.uk/opening-times/ snowHead
latest report
Yad Moss, Raise and Weardale all ran today. weardale hope to run tomorrow too.

A good day. Thin but lovely snow. All runs skiable and about 50 skiers enjoyed a sunny day. The tow ran till 4pm.

More snow forecast on tuesday, Thursday and perhaps Friday. Bodes well for half term weekend. The tow may also run on Wednesday which could be very good if we get a reasonable fall Tuesday.

Also met Grizzly today which was nice snowHead

snow report
the A686 Hartside webcam appears down, are there any others in the vicinity of Yad Moss that I can use to check road conditions assuming Yad opens tomorrow?? Hard to tell from the ski slope webcams if it is snowing or not!

@Peter S, do you happen to know what the webcam system is using and rough costs? Wondering if we can set something up at our hockey club for security and pitch condition monitoring!
ski holidays
Hi Kitenski, the roads should be fine. The snow isn't drifting and its not forecast to be particularly heavy today.

These are the other cams in the vicinity:

http://www.durham.gov.uk/article/4530/Road-weather-station-camera-details?station=13
Lanehead about 5 miles east of Yad Moss

http://www.durham.gov.uk/article/4530/Road-weather-station-camera-details?station=49
B6277 at Forest in Teesdale (8miles)

Garragill road looking towards yad Moss
http://www.howhill.com/weather/webcam.php (4miles)

Fraid I'm no expect on webcams. our main cam is a pan zoom tilt job which was expensive but the other fixed cams were quite cheap I think. I think we pay about £27 per month for our data but the summit one (offline) is set up to send texts I think. Our issue is power for heating and constant communication. Presumably you will have a mains connection.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Raise on Saturday:
CAM00415 by Andrew Roberts, on Flickr
CAM00414 by Andrew Roberts, on Flickr
CAM00406 by Andrew Roberts, on Flickr
snow report
Yad Moss open tomorrow Wednesday from 10;30

anyone around ?

http://web108.extendcp.co.uk/yadmoss.co.uk/opening-times/
ski holidays
Peter S wrote:
Yad Moss open tomorrow Wednesday from 10;30

anyone around ?

yup I'll be there!
snow report
Yes I'm hoping to get my first visit!
latest report
feel free to say hello Greg if anyone spots me, black jacket, green Volkl skis, orange poles Smile
snow report
Is it possible to just turn up to any of the English areas on a Sunday? We may be driving up to Fort William on the 18th and thought It'd make a nice detour.

"This is a local hill, for local people; there's nothing for you here"
snow report
@Snow Hound, if the websites say they accept day members then yes. Sometimes if they are expecting to be very busy they either pre sell tickets or restrict to members.
snow report
Just back from a great day at Yad moss, living up to its Northern Powderhouse name.

@Peter S, did you have a red jacket on? Thanks anyway for a fun day out.

@kitenski, I couldn't remember your colour combination, or name, otherwise would have said hello.
snow conditions
@Brian Sun, what were you wearing/skiing on?

Pretty stunning morning, fresh dry snow everywhere, not quite enough to venture far out and wide IMHO, too many tufts!!

People arriving all morning so getting there at 10am definitely paid off for me! Getting pretty scraped by 2pm on the "main" runs

stunning blue sky on arrival,and funky looking clouds by 2pm!

snow conditions
Hi must have met you both. I was the guy in the red jacket and red helmet in the ticket office this morning.

Sorry not to have a proper chat. We were slightly caught out by the numbers turning up today. Naively I was assuming it would be a quiet working week Wednesday. Wrong!!
Hope you had some fun. Peter.
latest report
@Peter S, yup I think you checked me in as a season ticket holder about 10:30?? Were you in the hut then??
ski holidays
I got there about 10.30 as well. I also had a red jacket and Salomon BBR skis. Great photos. Sum up the day nicely. I'll be keeping an eye on the weather for another day trip , hopefully soon!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy