Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Northern Powderhouse 2017/18 (Raise, Yad Moss, Weardale and Allenheads)

Poster: A snowHead
kitenski wrote:
snowy Sunday on the cards perhaps?? Skiing Monday Smile

I am really, really hoping so. This is the third season I have been a member but I have yet to ski at Weardale. To be fair I spend more time in the South East than the North East. However I drove up today and have skis and gear ready, willing and able. It was annoying quite how much more snow there was in North London and the M1 for the first 30 miles than the rest of the East Coast. At least I got to be smug as I went up slight inclines in my winter tyres past rear wheel drive cars with summer tyres spinnig round in circles. The area just past London Gateway services was particularly ridiculous.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very early days. It’s certainly cold enough. Minus 9 tomorrow morning in Alston. Today’s snow was 150 miles too far south for the English ski fields.

Perhaps a bit more snow on Wednesday?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
More likely to be ice skating or skeleton bobbing than skiing at the moment. Beautiful weather up here lately, alpine sunshine, just no alpine snow. Sad Pennines looked beautiful, all white capped, driving back from Carlisle this afternoon - only it's all frost.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looking more hopeful for some high level snow tonight and tomorrow in the Pennines. Yad Moss on standby for later this week.
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/mobile/forecast/gcwr6gxyc

And Raise should get operational if this automated forecast for nearby Stybarrow Dodd delivers.
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcty7kebu#?date=2017-12-12
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Raise should be running tomorrow.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/raise_up_dated_pics/

Not enough in the Pennines yet.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It’s touch and go tonight at Yad Moss. We haven’t really had any big hits yet. We might get a bit more snow tomorrow. A decision will be made at 8am about running Friday. Fingers crossed for Saturday. Weather craps out Sunday.

http://web108.extendcp.co.uk/yadmoss.co.uk/opening-times/
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yad Moss will be open tomorrow. Hurray !
Expect thin conditions but the Grass should be frozen and as all Pennine skiers know frozen grass skis almost as well as frozen snow. snowHead
The website should be updated this afternoon but check before leaving tomorrow.

Lots of skiers this afternoon up on Raise.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/raise_up_dated_pics/39038462872/

Members only at Weardale tomorrow.

See you on the slopes Cool
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Now updated snowHead

latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rare day yesterday. I think all 10 uk lift served areas were operational, though I’m not sure about allenheads ?

50 skiers at Yad moss so not at all busy. Thin snow but cold and dry. Run of choice was powder gulley. The last hour was sublime as the low cloud cleared revealing a superb orange afterglow over Great Dun Fell. Just how I remember some of the 80s winters.

Washout today and the snow will go. However everything is working so well be back up as soon as possible when the snow returns.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The LDSC tow ran on Friday and Saturday, video from Friday below...

http://youtube.com/v/yEy87IVG45E&feature=youtu.be

Not running today and rising temps for next week... Sad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just superb. Affordable skiing On our doorstep.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcty7kebu#?date=2017-12-27

Cooler air arriving from the 26th. Will it last long enough ?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quite a bit of warm rain in the run up to the 26th, which may finish of the remaining snow. Let's hope for more of the cooler weather and more snow in the following days.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The forecast tonight is for rain turning to snow from about 9pm tonight. Could be quite white tomorrow on the webcams. The ground underneath will be saturated but it cools down to minus 6 on Wednesday, so keep an eye on the websites. Greatest chance will be up at Raise and Lowther Hills.

Keep your skis and boots handy snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
http://www.cumbria.gov.uk/roads-transport/WeatherStations/A686Hartside.asp

Snowing.
ski holidays
Just come back from walk - hills on N side of Alston look well white. Fingers crossed snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:
Just come back from walk - hills on N side of Alston look well white.
Indeed Very Happy. This was Weardale today: a pretty chilly -2c; thin cover on wet ground; sticky snow but still good fun - and nice to be out after being away and missing the epic conditions in northern England and Scotland in mid-December Very Happy.

snow report
Raise is operational today. Not enough yet at Yad moss but hoping to run tomorrow as the snow falls. A decision will be made tonight and will be posted on the website.
snow report
It is intended to run Yad moss tomorrow. Conditions are very thin but the snow tomorrow should lead to a rapid improvement. Be prepared to drive on potentially snowy roads. The forecast is for up to 10cms of new snow during the day.

snow report
@Peter S, What do you reckon re Saturday?
snow conditions
We will have to see how we get on tomorrow and how the new snow pans out. Also whether the Middleton road stays open !
At the moment it looks a bit windy but sw is usually ok.

This is the met o automated forecast for Yad moss summit:

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/mobile/forecast/gcwr6gxyc#?date=2017-12-30
snow conditions
@Peter S, that forecast looks promising for some early turns after new year as well. Can’t get up there tomorrow, friends wedding but also reckon travel conditions could be interesting first thing!
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
.... reckon travel conditions could be interesting first thing!

Yeah, my worry for tomorrow generally, given Met Office warnings and forecast of potentially deep snow for most of the day on top of rain onto ice. Have to see how the roads hold up (I'm coming in the Alston side).
latest report
Well, definitely unfounded worries... Weather forecasters a little over-optimistic (or doomsaying, depending on your point of view) as regards this neck of the woods.
Still, thanks to Peter et all for opening. An 'interesting' day's sliding, hopping and "yikes, big hole!" avoidance Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Think that my turf technique needs some work... Embarassed
snow report
Yes it was a bit ‘pennine’ today. It did that thing that quite often happens at Yad moss. After about 2:45 the cloud disappeared the light improved and the temperature dropped. Suddenly everything was much better and the last hour was really quite good 😀 hope to see you all again soon. I don’t think we will run tomorrow. Snowing at the moment but it will wear out very quickly.

ski holidays
Weardale open tomorrow - Sat 30 Dec. Forecast not brilliant but we'll give it a whirl - on the basis that we're members; you just never know whether your next Pennines ski day will be your last of the winter wink; any skiing is better than no skiing Laughing; & it's only 40 miles away Very Happy.

Report to follow.... Smile
ski holidays
Shakes head slowly from side to side at that photograph. I thought I was desperate............... rolling eyes
latest report
The Yad Moss photo was no doubt later in the day, after the snow was a bit skied off & after people had enjoyed a few turns.

It's all relative Maersk - we Pennines skiers have to go for it when we can and, admittedly, are generally easily pleased. Anyway, it often makes you appreciate decent conditions, wherever they may be (and that can include the Pennines areas).

Anyway, we're just back from Weardale, which was open today.
- Fresh snow and a temperature of -1C early doors.
- Fresh tracks to be had, though cover was thin.
- No lift queues - only about 30 skiers and boarders.
- Snow became heavy and a bit skied off - heavy going and quite hard work by we left early afternoon.
- A fun day out and worth the trip.

Pics to follow...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mountainaddict, sounds as though you got more skiing up there today than the French alps did snowHead
snow report
Marvellous news Peter S!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy - hadn't heard that...
....Not to mention that the famous Pennines Champagne Powder was as good - if not better - than anything we've skied in numerous trips to the French Alps wink
ski holidays
Should turn back to snow tomorrow lunchtime. Raise has retained a base so they will be up running first again. At the weekend it goes round north easterly which is normally a good direction for Yad Moss. Touch and go though whether there will be enough there or not. Puzzled
snow report
disappointing amounts at Yad but boarder appears to be trying it out... looks similiar cover to when it last ran perhaps???

snow report
Looks to be possibly better cover at Weardale - which is overall less tussocky than Yad, so could be a goer for ski touring (or lifts??) this weekend Puzzled
snow report
Raise will be running tomorrow. Better cover up there and they retained snow from last week.

Not quite enough yet at Yad Moss but we are hopeful as ever for a few more showers.

The runs will be inspected tomorrow morning and if it is suitable we will run the tow. .........At least the avalanche risk will be low Laughing
snow report
All the centres open again today. Fabulous sunny day with no wind and humidity now down at 50% so the thin snow should at least be dry.
Webcam pic from YM just now

Cool
ski holidays
Peter S wrote:
All the centres open again today. Fabulous sunny day with no wind and humidity now down at 50% so the thin snow should at least be dry.
Webcam pic from YM just now

Cool

fabulous!
snow report
Good day at Weardale today Very Happy - a bit of fresh snow on a hard surface and very dry snow, as PeterS predicted. Temperature was -2C at the car park.

Thin cover but some nice turns to be had - & no queues with only about 20 or so members there.
ski holidays
Pics from Weardale - Sun 7.1.18: Thin cover - but fun in the sun Very Happy

snow conditions
There is dedication to skiing, and then there is that Shocked

If it wasn't for the lift/netting in the first picture, I wouldn't have recognized that as a piste.
latest report
100 skiers at Yad Moss yesterday enjoying the sun and good if thin snow. snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy