Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt (and Cervinia) 2017/18

Poster: A snowHead
Here is the avvy (over the rail line) that has closed Zermatt today.

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am here! Skied sunday - visibility a bit iffy but lots of powder. Since then pretty much everything closed - today everything. Monday was absolutely mental, snowed heavily for about 16hrs - how do I upload pictures on here? Never seen so much snow in my life, woke up this morning and no power, but was on again by half 10ish. No skiing yes which is rubbish but it’s not quite as dramatic as the news makes out. Here until Saturday, apparently weather clearing up...... please please please!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@CamillaMcPhee,
I will keep my fingers crossed for you. It will be truly awesome when it clears Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@CamillaMcPhee,

Register on snowMedia zone . Most people use the same user name, Instructions in the thread I have linked. Or use a site like Imgur.com

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=25601
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
if anyone is bothered, the picture posted above is not the avalanche that has closed the Zermatt-Täsch link. That is a picture from planetski which even they describe as "an avalanche". It is a gully down which snow always runs in the winter (the snow run off is still always there and needs to be traversed when the Täsch to Zermatt walk opens again in the May). It is why there is a roof over the railway line at that stage. Obviously some of the snow that has come down has collapsed back under the roof and onto the line. But if that were the only issue it would not take them long to get it cleared. The west side of the valley (which is what the photo is of) is fairly shallow at that point. At other stages it is closer to being a vertical face. There are currently numerous either actual or risk of avalanches that the workers are having to deal with (as well as the same situation further down the valley between Täsch and Visp). It is also worth noting that the road is closed as well (hence the need to use the helicopter and not taxis). The road runs down the other (eastern) side of the valley and has the same issues as the train line.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
They are running the Täsch-Zermatt train again. The avalanche risk is still too great further down the valley and so it is still replacement buses from Täsch down to Visp.

Not many lifts open but a very large number shown as in preparation.

Cervinia still closed but some stuff open down in Valtournenche.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks @JohnMo, I thought I had seen that photo before and it was possibly not recent.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JohnMo wrote:
if anyone is bothered, the picture posted above is not the avalanche that has closed the Zermatt-Täsch link.

You mean Whitegold was wrong?

I'm shocked.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JohnMo wrote:
They are running the Täsch-Zermatt train again.

Well that didn't last long. In fact it didn't even last as long as the first train. Still too much snow on the line but they are "confident" it will be opening up again this afternoon. The helicopter is running as a link between Täsch and Zermatt again until then.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
They had planned to partially open the train line this morning, but that's now been delayed to this afternoon

'Despite the information of the Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn, the railway cannot operate as planned due to the difficult removal of snow between Täsch and Zermatt. The persons in charge are working hard on the reopening and are confident to open the railway in the afternoon.'
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We are booked to arrive at Zermatt on the first train Friday morning. We are still in two minds if its even worth making the trip.
An update from the ground regards open lifts.run's etc will be very useful.

Thanks.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@gnave,

I am not on the ground (came back end of last week and driving back out the end of next week). However, you can tell a reasonable amount just from what they got open today:

1. Furnicular up to Sunnegga and then bubble/chairlift up to Blauherd. All pistes leading down from those lift stations open (including the learner slopes into Findeln). The higher connection up to the top at Rothorn did not open.
2. The lift up to Furi and then the connection up to Riffelberg and onto the top (or as near as damn it) at Gifthittli open. All pistes leading back down from those lift stations to Furi open but not those down to Gant.
3. The cable car from Furi up to Trockener Steg and then the first T bar up from there with the pistes back down to Trockener Steg (bit of a waste of time IMO).

So what is not open:

a) Itineraries.
b) Link to Italy.
c) Anything on Schwarzsee.
d) Anything on Klein Matterhorn (with the exception of the pistes on the T bar mentioned above).
e) The train up to Gornegrat (although the lifts were taking you to pretty much the same place).
f) Hohtälli.
g) The top of Rothorn as discussed above.

So you can be an optimist or a pessimist on this. I think that is not a bad amount to get open the first day clear of some fairly major snowfall with incredibly high avalanche risk and lots of resources diverted elsewhere (e.g. trying to get train access sorted). If you were facing a week of only those areas being open it would not be great. But my prediction would be that with the weather set fair over the next few days they will get more and more open.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just announced that the train out of Zermatt is up and running

The Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn is operating again between Zermatt and Täsch at 5.15 pm. The railway line between Täsch and Visp remains closed until further notice, there are replacement buses

Zermatt is back again
01/10/2018
After almost two days in which Zermatt was cut off, the destination is now accessible by train again.

Zermatt Tourism informed due to the changed situation.
For the guests and the population was at no time a danger - they lacked nothing.
Between Zermatt and Täsch, the Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn has been operating since Wednesday at 5:15 pm. Thus, Zermatt is reachable.
Replacement buses operate on the railway line between Täsch and Visp according to the timetable.
For more information about rail travel, see: http://bit.ly/zermatt-mgb-18
At the opening of the road between Täsch and Zermatt is working at full speed.
According to the avalanche bulletin from the WSL Institute for Snow and Avalanche Research SLF on Wednesday, January 10, 2018, 8:00 am, the danger level has been reduced from 5 to 4. For more information on the avalanche danger forecast visit: http://bit.ly/zermatt-slf-18
PS: Zermatt. Guaranteed snow with sun
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The bottom station of the Kumme lift in Rothorn has been completely destroyed by avalanche.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@skierguy_75,
Is that information from ground zero?
snow conditions
I'm remote, but have reliable information from ground zero.
snow conditions
@skierguy_75,

Any other issues? Considering if it's worth making my way for weekend of skiing. I am sure the snow will be amazing....
ski holidays
@gnave,

Not that I've heard. That lift was constructed in 1982, so this is a generational snow event for the region. If you like snow....
ski holidays
skierguy_75 wrote:
The bottom station of the Kumme lift in Rothorn has been completely destroyed by avalanche.

That would be unfortunate. The website is still showing it as due to open tomorrow morning (with only the blue piste down not the red and black ones). But then they are showing that they are going to try to open back up everything that was open before with the exception of the itinerary down Schwarzsee and the itinerary from Blauherd. I imagine things are still fairly chaotic.
snow report
@JohnMo,
I have noticed the website ski runs and lift status reset every night to "all green" then in the next morning an update comes through and everything close.
latest report
gnave wrote:
@JohnMo,
I have noticed the website ski runs and lift status reset every night to "all green" then in the next morning an update comes through and everything close.

That shouldn't be happening. The only ones showing as green should be the ones they plan to open. So for example from Rothorn down to Kumme the blue 14 should be shown as green while the black 13 and the red 12 should not. Personally I find it easier to follow on Zermatt.net than the official site of Zermatt.ch. The former is in German but is pretty easy to navigate even if you don't speak German.

Of course what is "planned" and what happens can be different things. Usually wind is the cause of the biggest difference but at present optimism about avalanche control can be undone on inspection in the morning.
ski holidays
@JohnMo,
Check the zermatt site now. Or the app. It advice 273KM of runs are open to include the croos over to Italy. (O3 lift)

With no alerts. Can't trust Any information until morning opening time.
snow report
Looks like lifts and run's are coming back to life.
Making my way to Zermatt later today.
snow report
skierguy_75 wrote:

Sadly your info was correct. That lift is now out of action for the rest of the season. Almost every year there is an avalanche down the slope to the North of that lift line. They often stretch onto the piste but I have never seen one get anywhere near the lift station before.

I saw a report this morning that there had been 45 recorded avalanches around the resort.
snow conditions
A shame - those pistes are a nice backwater and a good way to warm the legs after a morning start from Rothorn.
ski holidays
caughtanedge wrote:
A shame - those pistes are a nice backwater and a good way to warm the legs after a morning start from Rothorn.

I agree. Also tend to be a relatively quiet place to go. Bit cold and dark at this time of year but fantastic spring snow.

My bigger worry is whether they will not open itineraries 16 and 17. Despite how they look on the piste map they actually lead off red 12 coming off Rothorn. In principle they shouldn’t- just declare the first bit of 12 to be part of itinerary 16 this season.

There is also the question of whether they will open red 15 (which had itinerary 18 as a branch off. 15 is always a late opener. In principle again it should be OK as it runs past the Kumme lift Station and on down to Patrullarve.

The only potential good news is they might use it as an excuse to upgrade the lift. It really is a rickety old thing.
snow conditions
I have to confess that in Zermatt I rather like anything that's a bit rickety: as all the lifts and stations have got swisher over the years, the old 2 or 3-person chairs running out of an old shed have a certain charm. But you can always go to Italy for that (and a decent coffee), which is one of the joys of Zermatt.
Edit: replace 'always' with 'often'.........
latest report
Wow, last years thread ahead of this years! Should rectify Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@twoodwar,

I saw that snowHead I assumed you were just the new Dr Who.

Almost everything that was open before the mega dump is now back up and running (not Kumme of course RIP). The train is back running up to Gornegrat (some superb videos up of them cutting through snow as high as the train). The shuttle down to Täsch is working fine but it is still replacement buses from there down to Visp. It will be interesting to see if they can get the line open for transfer day tomorrow.

Cervinia also seems to be running well. But the link between the two has not yet been opened.
snow report
Quote:

(some superb videos up of them cutting through snow as high as the train)

John, where are these?
latest report
A selection of photos here: http://www.20min.ch/schweiz/news/story/Walliser-Doerfer-wegen-Schnee-abgeschnitten-17960954#showid=230429&index=0
snow report
@caughtanedge,

The specific one was on twitter:

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/951431191541972992
snow report
Two more pieces of good news:

1. The train line is now working the whole way down the valley. That is going to make transfer day much, much better than shuttle buses.

2. Switzerland and Italy are connected again. At this stage on the Swiss side you have to use the T bars and you can only go through the Theodulpass (the Ventina piste on the Italian side down from Plateau Rosa is not yet open). But everything is getting there.

The weather looks canny for the next few days as well. Anyone going out for next week really has hit the jackpot.
ski holidays
@JohnMo, Im headed out 27th Jan - Cant wait Happy Happy
latest report
@JohnMo,
Thanks for the Gornergratbahn link - doesn't look like "chaos" or "meltdown" to me......
I hope Red 15 down to Tufteren is open by February!
latest report
I am due in Cervinia at end of month for a week. I am bringing own skis and hiring for my son. It is easier to get skis serviced on arrival or should I sort out in advance? Thoughts?
Also who else is buying Cervinia/ Zermatt pass now or should I wait till last minute?
Thanks
latest report
caughtanedge wrote:
@JohnMo,
I hope Red 15 down to Tufteren is open by February!

Your wish has been granted. They have opened red 15. As well as the blue down to Kumme they have opened up the black that runs alongside it. So even without the Kumme lift you can ski off the top of Rothorn, turn left and ski all the way down to Tuftern then on down to the bottom of the Patrullarve lift. Nice.
ski holidays
Mazarrazza, skis serviced overnight in a number of places, and a bit quicker on the same day. Depends when you are arriving? I buy lift passes on arrival, usually Sat lunch. Very quick, no issue at Sunnegga station, and presumeably the other two, ( only ever bought at Sunnegga)
latest report
@twoodwar Thanks, we arrive Sat lunchtime so first day skiing would be the Sunday, so plenty time to get skis and passes sorted. Looking forward to a fantastic week. Snow in Scotland was ok but now a bit slushy.
snow report
This is allegedly a before and after picture of the Kumme lift.

From j2ski.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 14-01-18 13:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy