Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 2017/18

Poster: A snowHead
Access all areas

CMB opening the valley on Saturday 9th for the season.

Trebles all round.

https://my.meteoblue.com/visimage/meteogram_14day?look=KILOMETER_PER_HOUR%2CCELSIUS%2CMILLIMETER&apikey=5838a18e295d&cache=no&city=Chamonix&iso2=fr&lat=45.923801&lon=6.869330&asl=1060&tz=Europe%2FParis&lang=en&ts=1512646108&sig=925dc2fd95d0d93be05b831c6d1daf6a
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Le tour 2 days ago, scratchy but nice

Needs the promised "more snow"
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Did a few runs up Les Houches. Up top cover pretty good, loose probably 40cm deep. Not quite enough to cover all the terrain under chairs, etc. but very good.

Lower slopes hardpacked and mix of man made and natural. Unsurprising.

Blue to Prarion complete and wide to bottom.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Did a short tour off the back of Les Houches, going in knee deep or 2/3 of my pole (125cm) while skinning.

Agree with @under a new name, about the rest of the conditions.

snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Idris, my wife hates touring Sad it is probably my fault.

Nice piccy.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Grand Montets was open and incredible. Lognan and Plan Jouran (eventually) opened and Bouchard all day plus freezing chair Montettes and Tabe. Very good on piste, rocky off. Plenty of wind at top of Bouchard. Great day...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Robin_C, busy?

I wanted trees as the vis wasn’t so great. It was never going (for us) to be a huge ski day snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fair shout. Today's a bit of a washout right?!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bluebird, untracked knee deep powder, solo.

in les Houches, no lift lines either Wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
So from anyone that’s out there, is there any indication of when the arête down from aiguille du midi to the vallee Blanche may be roped up and open? Heading over the last weekend of jan and would love to give it a go!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@MountainIdiot, that’s slightly early for the VB to be “open” but with all the early snow you may be OK.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Has the cable car to the top of GM been open at all this season? Every time I look at the list status it seems to be closed
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@On the rocks, they were planning to open today whenI looked. No idea if they did or not.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can you still pre book the top lift of GM and if so, does anyone have the online link?

Thanks
Chris
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
On the rocks wrote:
Has the cable car to the top of GM been open at all this season? Every time I look at the list status it seems to be closed

Rode it yesterday, no queue late afternoon. Blowing a hoolie at the top, but very well worth it!

As for booking, there are time slots displayed at the base. I'm using a M-B Rapidcard, one of the benefits is not paying the Top premium. Another benefit was avoiding the huge queue for tickets at Les Houches this morning. It appears many in the valley had taken that option with the uncertain lift status higher up.
snow conditions
I think about 50cm fresh in my garden at 1,100m. I have not seen as much snow in 11 years. Ever.

snowHead snowHead Laughing

That said, not much will be opening today...
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
I think about 50cm fresh in my garden at 1,100m. I have not seen as much snow in 11 years. Ever.

snowHead snowHead Laughing

That said, not much will be opening today...

Any expectation what will be open next weekend?
latest report
@Gustavobs, no idea.

Weather forecast somewhat complex with expectations of disturbances passing through all week.

Les Houches probably. Who knows what else Puzzled

Are you contemplating a cheeky trip?
ski holidays
@under a new name, got my short warm up trip for the season from the 5th to 8th Jan. With the amount of snow I have been seeing was expecting more open areas...
snow conditions
Verbier typically open more and faster than Cham if you have flexibility. Everything was open yesterday. Closed below 2500m today due to avi 4
snow report
@chrise1967

snow report
@BobinCH, why is that d’you think?
snow report
@under a new name, Swiss efficiency and a lift company acutely aware of the increasing competition for skiers would be my guess
latest report
@Gustavobs I might have mis-understood your question, but next weekend everything could be open or just Les Houches. If you looked at the openings yesterday morning ( https://www.skiplan.com/bulletin/bulletin.php?station=chamonix&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=fr ) you'd have seen not much open, but that was just due to the amount of precipitation we were having in Chamonix.

Verbier does generally open quicker than Chamonix, but it seems to get less snow and has easier to secure terrain than Chamonix were every area except Les Houches has multiple avalanche paths crossing pistes that all need to be secured and that takes time.
ski holidays
Grum p wrote:

Verbier does generally open quicker than Chamonix, but it seems to get less snow and has easier to secure terrain than Chamonix were every area except Les Houches has multiple avalanche paths crossing pistes that all need to be secured and that takes time.

Verbier got less in this last dump but more last week. It seemed to have more snow all of last year. Be interested in the official figures but doubt there is much difference. I used to ski a lot in Chamonix but got tired of the queues and find Verbier a much better overall experience, the lift system and mgt being probably the biggest factor.
ski holidays
@BobinCH The official figures are a bit tricky as Chamonix has a range of 1000 to 3800m, whilst Verbier is 1600ish to 3300 so the figures online generally aren't for comparable altitudes, however, Verbier is in a bit of a snow shadow where even nearby places like Les Marecottes get more snow from the majority of storms.
Anyways, for a quick and unscientific random site from the internet comparison, flick between these 2 sites and see the snow depth difference:
https://www.igluski.com/ski-resorts/switzerland/verbier/snow-history
https://www.igluski.com/ski-resorts/france/chamonix/snow-history

Digging out the details from Argentiere/Grand Montets would probably be a fairer comparison being 1400-3300, but I didn't google for that Laughing

Also, snow depth is only 1/2 the story. The pistes are definitely better maintained in Verbier which will make the skiing better for anyone not fussed on the steep and deep, and that's much more important than the actual depth.
snow conditions
Which area / lifts is most likely to be open 4th to 6th Jan - just working out where to base myself (Les Houches / town / Argentiere) for a few days quick ski, and given the forecast.....
snow report
@ChrisKernow, when there’s been a big snow fall often only LH is properly open, given the forecast it might be a safe option. You can always get a bus up the valley if you want.

If you want to safely try out your touring rig there’s a skinning track through the woods at both LH and GM.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jbob, thanks. LH it is.
snow report
So our chums dragged our sorry, hungover erses out of bed for at least a little Jan 1st ski. Torrential rain as walking home last night (this morning) did not augur well, but a dusting of snow underfoot suggested it might be better than expected.

50:50 cloud sun also didn’t appeal, but there was a hint of blue at the bubble and maybe we might break through.

And, the Flegere benne was bust, so if the liaison wasn’t rammed, maybe we’d catch something fun...

OMFG. Chust sublime.

They hadn’t pisted anything other than Index since last night so even on piste it was about knee deep and fluffy.

What a delightful start to the year snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
@under a new name, wow nice NYD present! We had a measly couple of cm’s. How much has fallen this afternoon/evening? Maybe we should pay Vallorcine a visit.... and do you know if there is somewhere that gives the updated status of the montets pass?
snow report
@under a new name, unreal wasnt it? we were the amongst the first people up GM and kept expecting it to get skied out, but until 1230 we were skiing untouched lines - I did top of Herse through the bowls and variant hotel (2600m to 1600m) without touching another set of tracks. All those poor hungover people taking a lie in vs probably the best powder conditions in 4 years.

@BobinCH, chamonix-meteo has a link to road conditions and passes. As a rough rule of thumb, anything over 50cm or avi 4 means the Montets pass likely to be shut. Monday (yesterday) morning I estimate 10-15cm on the car and 50cm at 2800m. Below 2200m it rained on saturday and there's probably 20-30cm of Sunday nights snow on top of a hard layer of ice; the powder is very light so I was frequently going through to the ice.
latest report
@snowdave, thanks. How much more this mornings g. We have about 20cm since it started yesterday evening but looks like you got more 👏
ski holidays
@BobinCH, sorry, flew back to UK last night so no update! However, it was dumping when I left around 4pm, and very heavy rain all the way to GVA.
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
@under a new name, wow nice NYD present! We had a measly couple of cm’s. How much has fallen this afternoon/evening? Maybe we should pay Vallorcine a visit.... and do you know if there is somewhere that gives the updated status of the montets pass?

https://www.chamonix.com/road-conditions,10,en.html

This is usually upto date.
latest report
@jbob, thanks for that. Finally decided to stay this side and head for Bruson. Should be a great day in the Cham forests!
latest report
@BobinCH, haven’t been out yet but we walked home about 9pm with a good 15cms...surprised you got so little!
ski holidays
@under a new name, Cham (and France in general) is doing much better from these Westerlies. We had to make do 😉

http://youtube.com/v/A6kzzYSKQG4
latest report
@BobinCH, love the commentary! Laughing
snow report
I'm on my way home now, after a great week in Cham - the snow yesterday was fantastic at Brevent. Only 2 lifts open (bubbles up, and the main chair), but it was quiet, and there was a huge amount of new snow. Great day to finish with Smile

Unfortunately I was one of the hungover people in bed on the 1st (accidentally, it wasn't planned!), so missed that. But yesterday made me feel better snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy