Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and the Espace Killy 2017/18 (Closed - No more posts please!)

Poster: A snowHead
James the Last wrote:
Extremophile wrote:
They seem to have opened the carpets in claret, no doubt to avoid another payout on the passes.

To be fair to them, they're working harder than ever and spending more money than normal, yet the punters are wanting their money back...

I didn't say nor imply they weren't working hard, I've heard bombing all day. Yes, people want their money back, and I'm one of them. Friday was worse weather wise and for the amount of Snowfall over the previous 2 days, yet they still opened lifts, particularly brev connections. Seems like they've kind of abandoned the skiers and boarders down here, even though the gondola out of Boisses was on and running.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@chocksaway, Too easy for you, but lets see if anyone else can recognise the hotel dead ahead in the first 30 seconds, and the pub being dug out at 54 seconds.

For anyone that knows Tignes, this is a real eye opener re snow levels !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=29&v=uOEcCDvVphI
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I recognise it but can’t remember the name, but holy snowHead snowHead snowHead t that is a lot of snow.

Had a young couple come into my ‘office’ in Geneva on Saturday, saying that they where going to Tignes...first time boarding Laughing Once the lifts open, it will be amazing even for complete noobies !

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 9-01-18 17:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes Sir! Plan M absolute chaos and Rhone Alpes even worse. It seemed the frustrated ski school instructors were taking their classes up there. The conditions were way beyond most of their pupils.
But, great conditions to be found here on this side of EK and things much more civilized up the Olympique where there is more of a choice of runs. Darwinism at it's best as half the punters on Bellevard ducked under the ropes closing Orange.

Agree the pisteurs have done an amazing job getting at least some runs open.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Blinkin' Nora, that pub is the Alpaka!! Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nelly0168 wrote:
@chocksaway, Too easy for you, but lets see if anyone else can recognise the hotel dead ahead in the first 30 seconds, and the pub being dug out at 54 seconds.

Those look familiar from the PSB. Wow!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The hotel is the Taos, just up the hill from the Alpaka. That is a bonkers amount of snow!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nelly0168 wrote:

HOLY CRAP!! Shocked Shocked

Pub (Alpaka?) is properly buried, amazing.

The cars at the side of the road as well, they'll be there for a while I think.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Do you think the lifts will open on time tomorrow?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Philip1972, Those that were open today will, followed by many more.
For those of us that know what the single story extension to the Alpaka is built of we probably wont be going in for a week wink
Regarding Brev and Boisses the gondolas may have just been running to get pisteurs up the hill. It is a very avalanche prone area. Indeed until around 1600 hrs the snow front in Brev and the ice driving rink were out of bounds due to the danger of an avalanche from above (some folks will remember the avalanche of 2 years ago which made it to within 200m of the Gondola Station).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nelly0168 wrote:

It looks pretty good for Europe, but that's an average season for parts of northern Japan and northwest US.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@chocksaway, Having seen the Jam Bars' little video it looks like Airbags & Arvas req'd just to go to the pub rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whitegold wrote:
It looks pretty good for Europe, but that's an average season for parts of northern Japan and northwest US.

Bless. Imagine feeling the need to try so hard Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@GeorgeVII, Nearly, I fogot to take a picture from inside L'Embu but you can't see anything but a wall of snow towards the lake and the canyon to get onto RDLP is about 12 foot high.

High cloud this morning, light not too bad. Just glad I am with Evo2 today so a bit of priority in the queues.

Lots of people dodging the ropes yesterday, 2 were caught in a slide on Super S, luckily only a broken knee and a couple of Brit boarders ended up on the top of the cliff on Bellvarde and needed roping down.

Still no news on the missing Brit in Tignes sadly.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Is it time to start taking away lift passes when people are doing this and putting others at risk on a 5/5 day?
snow conditions
@endoman, +1 ... absolutely idiocy.
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
@Philip1972, Those that were open today will, followed by many more.
For those of us that know what the single story extension to the Alpaka is built of we probably wont be going in for a week wink
Regarding Brev and Boisses the gondolas may have just been running to get pisteurs up the hill. It is a very avalanche prone area. Indeed until around 1600 hrs the snow front in Brev and the ice driving rink were out of bounds due to the danger of an avalanche from above (some folks will remember the avalanche of 2 years ago which made it to within 200m of the Gondola Station).

I sat on the terrace at Melezes one morning about 6 years ago and watched 4 huge separate avalanches come down the face opposite. The power and speed of the snow through the trees was incredible to watch. It's a scary area when it's deep or warm.
ski holidays
GeorgeVII wrote:
@chocksaway, Having seen the Jam Bars' little video it looks like Airbags & Arvas req'd just to go to the pub rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes

A friend who runs a chalet in Tignes is now wearing her Arva when she goes to bed at night.
The other day she and all her guests were ordered to vacate their chalet and sit in a nearby bus while the slopes above the chalet were blasted - the chalet survived, and they were all allowed back in.
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
Still no news on the missing Brit in Tignes sadly.

He had gone up Paquis, which is an odd choice for a last run as presumably he was staying in Le Lac (on the grounds he left his family to get on Paquis), but - I'm guessing as I assume almost everything was shut - he'd have had to go down Piste H into Val Claret. He might even have got lost walking back along the road.

The weather was filthy. There has been a metre of snow since so any body is likely to be well hidden and could even be on/under the piste somewhere. How would you even begin to start a search? Unless there are Recco reflectors but they've gone out of fashion since the days they were attached to every piece of ski wear - and Recco might possibly pick up a mobile phone too. Otherwise a needle in a haystack looks like a more achievable search.

Anyway, I hope I'm wrong and he's on an almighty sesh in La Taverne des Neiges.
snow conditions
We're arriving in Tignes on Saturday. Getting excited now snowHead
ski holidays
@James the Last, I won't reveal my source but that is pretty much the view. They have searched all the way back to the home club.

So today - as they used to say in Thunderbirds FAB! Before I relate the tale I would point out I was out with an off piste instructor from Evo2 and we had very careful route selection, so please don't follow what we did unless you are very confident in your abilities. The cloud was thin this morning and there were some good breaks so we did a couple of runs down the Palafour off piste for a warm up until other lifts opened. It was then down Familial and twice round Envers Campanules (pictured). The conditions varied from powder to a thin layer of crust after yesterday's afternoon sun, down low it was soft and a bit lumpy. In the afternnon the sky filled in a bit, there was even the odd flocon. But that didn't stop us doing Jardin du Borsat (a bit crusty) and then we effectively opened up the North Face of the Borsat, even thought the light was failing the snow was divine. To finish we completed petit chardo (no one had done the hike) where the snow was enough to put a smile on the face of Mr Grumpy!

After a cold night tomorrow morning will be similar to this morning and more cloud breaks should appear through the day. But the synoptic charts are a bit wishy washy at the moment so the cloud could ebb and flow. Friday and Saturday look great, sunny skies, light winds and cool - just what we need to keep the snow in good condition. The weather will start to change on Sunday, it will start nice but the cloud will build in the afternoon, we may see a light snow shower.
ski holidays
nelly0168 wrote:

Wow, never ever seen snow like this snowHead snowHead

Great base for the coming season though... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@Jonpim, The Ski-Bug chalet along the little track by the bus stop?

@porkpiefox, We're also arriving this weekend.

@chocksaway, Apparently Radio Val' are offering "guest" weather presenter slots. Right up your street Meteo M.
snow conditions
@Jonpim, I ski with them most days and just had dinner there - small world. A meet up next time! L is also doing an interview with the Times tomorrow.

@GeorgeVII, Wrong accent! I had thought of doing the Tignes one - but getting up at 7 each morning put me right off!
ski holidays
Quote:
Great base for the coming season though
Base? You call that a base?! Shocked

You do realise that in Japan and parts of north west USA it would be regarded as nothing more than a mere dusting? Laughing
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, Laughing Laughing Laughing

@chocksaway, conditions look beautiful!
latest report
@chocksaway,
Quote:

@GeorgeVII, Wrong accent!

Are you Northern?? Very Happy
latest report
@chocksaway, Small world indeed but I wouldn't like to paint it!

If Jonpim is the chap that I think he is, then we have already had a ski around and lunch with him and the chalet hosts hinted at above.

@foxtrotzulu, Northern? By 'eck petal..... just a touch.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@foxtrotzulu, How did you guess?

Okey dokey - If Carlsberg did ski adventures it would have been today. From the minute (9.05am) we charged down an almost perfectly groomed and empty piste Henri to pick up No 3 it just got better and better. The weather was beautiful, still with a blue sky, just a few clouds around Mont Blanc and over the border into Italy. The first off piste foray was the North Face of the Borsat, which just had a bit of a crust but good none the less:

The Funiculaire was our next mode of transport, here's a shot of the glacier, it would appear the Champagny drag has shrunk!

We skied off piste around Genepy, wind blown at the top but some great powder in the secret gillies. As we came down Prariond we noticed they were just opening the Palet Drag. What a find, 20cm of fresh light powder and we were first (and second and repeat). With some careful route finding and spacing we did 7 laps of untracked. I can't remember which lap this was:

Simply, simply lovely.

The microlights have also dug themselves out of the hangar, they were about the only humans we saw away from the lifts. So if you are here this week I can highly recommend a trip as you will see tomorrow would be perfect. Just pop to the base of Grattalu and speak to Loic or Felix.

By the miracle of annoyed electrons there may be some video once Tigski has had his afternoon nap!

After that we came home via Petite Chardo for a very late lunch and an afternoon nap, when I awoke some clouds had appeared but nothing too dramatic.

In other news we have a pole vault competition tonight in Tignes Espace, if you like that kind of thing.

And now for the weather, tomorrow will be about the same as today, there may be a few more fluffy clouds about, but nothing to spoil the day. I am expecting Saturday to be the same but wall to wall sunshine. We start to ring the changes on Sunday, the sky will have a lot of high cloud initially, maybe a milky sun, but a benign day. Monday will be overcast and the wind will pick up a bit. It then looks like a few days of very fast moving snow showers but there should be some sunny periods.

Right, I am off for a beer.

@GeorgeVII, Hope you have a good journey!
snow report
Guys I've seen some recommendations for kids ski lessons (7 and 5 y/o) earlier in this thread, but just bringing it up again - TDC seem to be over 10's only. Evo2 got a recommendation. Any others? And any experiences of ESF in Tignes (we used them in Les Menuires last year and they were ok)? 2nd holiday for kids and they are competent on blues and easier reds, starting parallel turns in local dry slope lessons here in Aberdeen and trips to Glenshee etc. Flocon level with ESF. Thanks for any advice.
ski holidays
Quote:

And now for the weather, tomorrow will be about the same as today, there may be a few more fluffy clouds about, but nothing to spoil the day. I am expecting Saturday to be the same but wall to wall sunshine. We start to ring the changes on Sunday, the sky will have a lot of high cloud initially, maybe a milky sun, but a benign day. Monday will be overcast and the wind will pick up a bit. It then looks like a few days of very fast moving snow showers but there should be some sunny periods.

thanks for the weather update Im heading out Sunday for my 1st ever visit to Tignes; shame I cannot change my flights for tomorrow!!
latest report
@riman8, New Generation are always good.
ski holidays
Can anyone recommend a taxi firm to take 3 of us from Bourg station to Tignes (Taos) at 4pm on Sat 10th Feb, and return a week later? I have so far emailed 7 firms. 1 has replied to say they're fully booked, the other 6 haven't bothered to reply.
ski holidays
Try 3sixty transfers. They are based in Bourg. Andrew is a great guy. They have an online booking form.
snow report
@Otherworld, You have probably picked the peak day of the season to travel and at the peak time. So you may well have left it too late. Most of the taxis will be shuttling between the airports and resorts. The French do not have the same email culture as the UK, they often don't acknowledge e mails and just do it. If they can't help they don't reply - just a cultural difference

Have you tried coolbus.co.uk as they have 20 odd minibuses?

If not book a bus on altibus.com - I have just checked and there is availability.

@riman8, ESF Le Lac are fine, not so good in Val Claret.
latest report
@riman8, our kids ( similiar ages/ level) had a good experience with Evo2 last year.. not so good with ESF this year
snow conditions
Thanks, Vasta, have sent a booking request, fingers crossed.

Chocks, I know it's the peak week, but with a school-aged sprog in tow, we have no choice really.

4 weeks to go, only a stone to lose, and looking forward to getting a bit more Yorkshire into Tignes! Smile
snow report
@chocksaway,
Any info on the total in village snowfall (as opposed to the current snow depth) for the season so far?
latest report
@Otherworld, Aye its a nuisance. The bus may be a last resort but if you have no sucees by the end of the week with a cab I would book it.

@Kenzie, Last I saw was about 4 and a half metres. More than last year in total!

Well it was another glorious, if a bit nippy, day. Although a few clouds did creep over from Italy into Le Fornet. It was another early start so as I came down Henri it was Met Loaf ringing in the ears:

When the night is over
Like a bat out of hell
I'll be gone-gone-gone.

We were also the first on the Graattalu lift and as they had groomed it to perfection with silky corduroy it seemed a shame not to rip it up with no one else on the slope! The snow off piste has compacted and was a little more chalky today, aspect was everything really, so we tried above the snow park which was OK. Then onto the Palet Drag, where there were still fresh lines to be had (our escape was made easier as they have pisted the track out of the Col de Ves). I can safely say it is now tracked out, but here's a pic just to prove freshies can be had a few days after a storm:

A final trip down Lognan was a bit chopped up before it was down the black run to Bourg. I am being invaded on Sunday and the hungry must be fed evidently!

The forecast has changed little from yesterday. Tomorrow should be a bluebird day, with temperatures like today. Sunday will see a milky sky in the morning which may burn off in the afternoon. It now looks like we may get a half decent day on Monday with sunny periods before it all goes downhill on Tuesday with strong winds and snow showers, there may be the odd break in the cloud to let some light in. Wednesday will see gales blowing at altitude and more continuous snow showers. Thursday and Friday will be similarly snowy and windy and cold. Winter is back. If this all comes to fruition then we could have another metre of snow by next weekend!

For the air travellers the weather in the UK may be a bit dank and dreary but the only real issue is a chance of fog at Leeds, it shouldn't delay the early departures, if it forms there could be the odd delay inbound. Geneva and hammbery look OK at the moment but again there is a reasonable chance of fog at Lyon and Grenoble which could slow things up a bit. On the trains, the line between Moutiers and Bourg is now fully open again s hopefully no chaos at Moutiers. On the roads the Savoie expects 21000 vehicles arriving and 14000 going home. There may be the odd small queue at the lights at Aigueblanche in the afternoon. The road surface is pleasingly black all the way to the entrance of Tignes Le Lac, chains may be required n the village if you are determined to get your vehicle to the door.

I have just seen Team Tignes probing the Grande Motte Carpark and marking where the cars are with aerosol paint! They are desperately trying to get everybody out to plough it. I suspect a few are hoping that the resort will dig them out despite the pleas on the radio and the App to move your car. I think I may buy shares in a wing mirrors factory!
ski holidays
Radio Tignes shared some pretty charts of the snowfall compared to previous years on Facebook. Impressive with more on the way.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2160223750871980&id=1631985717029122&ref=bookmarks
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy