Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and the Espace Killy 2017/18 (Closed - No more posts please!)

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.radiovaldisere.com/index.php?p=photos

Nice photos on the RadioValdIsere website of the progress on the new La Daille telecabine
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Today saw a bit more adventure as we drove round to the bottom of the Manchet Chairlift in Val (exit of Cugnai and Charvet). Lots of work going on in Val - the La Daille bubble is progressing well and the old cable car station at the top of the Solaise is a hive of activity as it is turned into a swanky hotel. Oh and it was also the turn of the Val Plods to have the team speed camera, they were lurking around the 30kph area towards the bottom of town. Shocked

Anyway we saw lots of interesting scenery as we walked up

It was drizzling a bit but that didn't spoil it. the Marmottes were screeching, we couldn't see any birds of prey - perhaps they just objected to my infamous banana waterproof! There are still pockets of snow, this one was where the grande avalanche that came down Cugnai finished up:

At the top we tucked into the haute cusine - nice view for lunch, the chickens were just behind the refuge:

On the way down it seemed rude not to call in at La Ferme de Arcellaz (the Cugnai lunch stop), the lady there is very jolly and serenaded us in English!

Tonight its the last supper at The Brasero and then on to Stansted tomorrow.

Soon be time to open next seasons thread.........
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
muppet wrote:
http://www.radiovaldisere.com/index.php?p=photos

Nice photos on the RadioValdIsere website of the progress on the new La Daille telecabine

The garage next to the Folie is huge!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@bar shaker, That’s what I thought.
I can understand about a bigger base station down in La Daille that will probably take in a new a new lift pass office but the top station seems huge, I presume a bit of earth moving round it will soften it.

@chocksaway,
The nights are drawing in, our main summer holiday is over and we had to use the summer duvet this week so our thoughts are moving to the coming season.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I thought I would try and contribute!

I am in Brevieres this week, and wanted to share photos of the progress of the new bubble!

Old station is the grey building

New building going up

New pylons

Old pylons

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 18-08-18 16:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hmmm, first attempt at photo posting seems to be a but weird, but you get the drift!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
https://www.seevaldisere.com/news/new-lifts-for-val-d-isere-winter-201819-val-d-isere-centre-719655

Not sure if this has been posted before. Nice new bubble to Folie Douce (as we knew) and a rather scary looking slope on the back of that reopened drag from solaise to le fornet....,.....76%, eeek !
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ooooo the Tunnel is back!! The rumours are true. Never, ever done that run - the drag lift and the way down look terrifying LOL

The Pacific Bar has been sold and will close its doors this weekend - end of an era there.

Closing party this Saturday..
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Posted this in a seperate thread, but it was suggested I might have more luck asking here...

Having not been to the EK in a few years, I'm wondering if there are any discounts on lift tickets for 18/19? I know previously there was the PassTignes where you could get 5% discount, but I don't remember any early bird discounts like you can get for the Portes du Soleil for example. Googling isn't revealing much other than the recently published prices for the upcoming season.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Tordi, PassTignes is no more Confused

They now seem to promote Ski ala carte in its place. I think the only "real" discount is on the early purchase of a season pass.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Tordi, Like I said on the other one - Only discounts I have seen is with likes of Ski Total - some weeks you will get "Buy one, get one half price".

I cant speak for season passes, but think @bar shaker, answered that one on the other thread.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nelly0168 wrote:
@Tordi, Like I said on the other one - Only discounts I have seen is with likes of Ski Total - some weeks you will get "Buy one, get one half price".

As I've said before, I don't think these are really lift pass discounts. Rather they are just accommodation/total holiday discounts dressed up as a pass discount as a ploy to pull in punters!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ecureuil wrote:
nelly0168 wrote:

As I've said before, I don't think these are really lift pass discounts. Rather they are just accommodation/total holiday discounts dressed up as a pass discount as a ploy to pull in punters!

You are not wrong, but if they improve the bottom line for the punter that's the main thing, I don't care if it's STGM or Hotelplan that take the hit Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nelly0168 wrote:
ecureuil wrote:
nelly0168 wrote:

You are not wrong, but if they improve the bottom line for the punter that's the main thing, I don't care if it's STGM or Hotelplan that take the hit Very Happy

There's a few outfits that roll in the lift pass with accommodation - I believe Mountainsun in Les Boisses do - and we usually book (though not in Tignes) with Sunweb who generally provide self-catering accommodation - though they do have some catered deals. Always found the quality of the accommodation to be fine to very good (Arcs 2000 & friends have used the apartments in Tignes Les Lac and said they were very good) and you're getting the lift pass for very little. I have never managed to beat the deals I can get through SW and I'm a pretty savvy shopper Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for the replies. @snowlamb, we've stayed in Les Melezes in Les Boisses before (in 2010 I think), they really looked after us for the week! Alas, we've already booked an apartment in Val Claret this time, so no chance of a package deal discount. I guess we will just have to suck it up and go easy with spending elsewhere (probably unlikely in reality).
ski holidays
@HoneyBunny, Crikey - spent a few nights in there when I was an emergency chalet boy for a mate. Looks like all the old Val haunts are dying out.

I think lift passes will have to be a wait and see - most of STGM are still on holiday.
ski holidays
Friday in Val d’Isere was lovely but Saturday was cold and damp by the time the Tour L’Avenier rolled into town. The dampness fell as snow up on the Bellevarde and Col de l’Iseren Very Happy

The Brussels Hotel development is making a huge impact on the front de neige but its just a big hole at the moment. Looking at the planning directive it looks like the land around it is to be returned to normal by 15 November.

I asked about the possible redevelopment of the area that Moris and Ogier Sport currently sits of but couldn’t find out anything.

The new La Daille telecabine is moving along and they seem to be even working weekends.
ski holidays
muppet wrote:

The new La Daille telecabine is moving along and they seem to be even working weekends.

Some friends of friends are working on the La Daille gondola and they say progress is slightly ahead of schedule.
snow report
bar shaker wrote:
muppet wrote:

Some friends of friends are working on the La Daille gondola and they say progress is slightly ahead of schedule.

The cable for the lift was delivered today.
snow conditions
Shame to lose the old lift station which added character to that part of La Daille. The new valley station is a simple homogenous design that could be anywhere.

It seems to be a notable trend across the Alps that new lift stations have generally retreated from locally respectful designs to more retro 1960s brutalism Sad
snow report
Does the new Brevs bubble go to exactly the same place? It would be great if it continued up the hill and bypassed the old aguille rouge chair
snow conditions
Not quite, but you will still need the chair.

The Brev bubble will go via the bottom of the Boisses bubble.

I am not sure of the detail, so I dont know if you have to get off the Brev bubble and onto the Boisses bubble, or of you can stay on and it links in and goes up.

The top of the bubble will be the same place as the top of the current Boisses bubble.
latest report
I think they need to look at better lift access to that end of EK. Some great pistes, e.g. Sache, served by old decrepit lifts. The runs down to Brev are great, the lifts back out, not so.
snow report
If anyone knows how the new Brev bubble will work please let me know.
snow report
Coco wrote:
I think they need to look at better lift access to that end of EK. Some great pistes, e.g. Sache, served by old decrepit lifts. The runs down to Brev are great, the lifts back out, not so.

The new Brev bubble is the start.

I think they are also planning to replace the Marais chair, that takes from the top of the Sache lift to the eye of the needle.
ski holidays
Peter S wrote:
Shame to lose the old lift station which added character to that part of La Daille. The new valley station is a simple homogenous design that could be anywhere.

It seems to be a notable trend across the Alps that new lift stations have generally retreated from locally respectful designs to more retro 1960s brutalism Sad

Not a building I feel in love with... and I see it every morning I am am home there.

Phillip1972 the Marais upgrade has been on the cards since Roger was running Les Melezes. It was somehow tied in with the planning go ahead for the new leaseback development (Kalinda Village) in lower Boisses. I remember him being all excited that it was finally going ahead. He's been gone from there for 9 years.

Although that side needs something, the top of Aiguille Percée can get very busy as it is. Getting twice as many people an hour up there won't be good, either for Cyclamen or Corniche.
snow report
Thanks for the detail!

Personally I never have an issue at Brev or the top with crowds. i tend to wait until 9.45 when the ski schools etc have gone, and then toddle up.
snow report
Talking when we were out there the new Brev bubble will go to just above the bottom of the Boisses chair, so you will have to get out, put skis/board on and then get on the Boisses chair - a bit of a faff. They are putting more bubbles on the Boisses lift (which is a good job!). The plan is then to replace the Marais chair to the Eye with a fast quad (Maybe next year, maybe 2 years, the year after that the Aiguille Rouge will be replaced. I think Boisses may become a bit of a bottle neck and both chairs will be a single point of failure for that sector.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chocksaway wrote:
Talking when we were out there the new Brev bubble will go to just above the bottom of the Boisses chair, so you will have to get out, put skis/board on and then get on the Boisses chair - a bit of a faff. They are putting more bubbles on the Boisses lift (which is a good job!). The plan is then to replace the Marais chair to the Eye with a fast quad (Maybe next year, maybe 2 years, the year after that the Aiguille Rouge will be replaced. I think Boisses may become a bit of a bottle neck and both chairs will be a single point of failure for that sector.

I'm confused. Are we talking about the slow old Brevieres chair that goes from Brev to the Boisses bus stop (at the end past Melezes) or the Boisses cable car that goes from slightly lower to the gondola station that burnt down? Or something new entirely? At the moment, there is a chair called Boisses and a gondola called Sache, but I suspect you are referring to something else.

I admit that I am a bit out of touch with what's happening there, lift wise. Any guidance gratefully received.
snow report
chocksaway wrote:

I am struggling to work out the advantage?

Why wouldnt I (after my swift beer in brev) jump on the Sache bubble as normal?

It may be slow and take a few minutes more (its v scenic though Very Happy ) but I cant see why I would bother with the new one?

Or am I missing something really obvious???
snow report
So, a quick google of the EK piste map shows a dotted line, indicating a new bubble, from Tignes1800 up to the top of the Chaudanes chair. Not out of Brev at all. Surely Brev residents will not have to catch the slowest chair in the world to Boisses to access the mountain???
ski holidays
So, a quick google of the EK piste map shows a dotted line, indicating a new bubble, from Tignes1800 up to the top of the Chaudanes chair. Not out of Brev at all. Surely Brev residents will not have to catch the slowest chair in the world to Boisses to access the mountain???
latest report
I feel like I'm repeating myself here Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow report
@Coco, The old slow chair to the Boisses bus stop has gone. The station at the bottom pulled down and they are building a new one for a gondola. What I dont know is where that gondola is going to, but from above it looks like it will be close to the top of of the old Sache gondola.

Then it will a choice of the slow Marais chair to the Eye, or the Aiguillie Rouge.

I think Razz
latest report
For the new season the old chair to Les Boisses and the old Sache gondola has gone.
There will bei a new gondola from Brevieres to Boisses and then you must leave it and take the "old" gondola from Les Boisses to Marais. The old gondola from Les Boisses will get more bubbles, as chocksaway write some post ago. From Marais it´s the same as last year...... wink
latest report
@kpw, Thats for the clarity!
snow conditions
kpw wrote:
the "old" gondola from Les Boisses to Marais.

Which is about 5 years old?
snow conditions
That seems pretty poorly thought out from a Brevs point of view. Hopefully this is just the start of a project to give easier access to the whole of Tignes for those in Brevieres and those that ski into it during the day
snow conditions
@kpw, Thanks for clarifying my remarks. It made sense to me - but of course it would Very Happy Very Happy

The only positive I can see out of this arrangement (there are many negatives) is that when there has been a lot of snow and there are delays in opening the area around the 'Chimney' (Piste Melezes) then the folk in Brev will still be able to escape to Boisses and the bus up to Le lac (which will of course be super busy).

One thinks for sure a quickie in the Brev gondola will have to be a quickie wink wink
ski holidays
School hols will be a barrel of laughs, getting out from Brev and Boisses.

chocksaway wrote:
@kpw,

One thinks for sure a quickie in the Brev gondola will have to be a quickie wink wink

Same the resort over... the La Daille gondola is only 4 minutes to the Folie now. Fun while it lasted wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy