Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and the Espace Killy 2017/18 (Closed - No more posts please!)

Poster: A snowHead
@chocksaway

We noticed them at the Paul Ricard circuit
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@HoneyBunny, I spoke too soon. Avalanches between the Col and Bonneval mean you can drive to the top but no further.

On the upside, this should mean less people on Pisaillas when I get there next Friday Very Happy

Here's a video from Radio-TV Val of what they have been facing...

See 'Deneigement...'

http://www.radiovaldisere.com/index.php?p=vids
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lots of folks enjoying (or being beasted by race coaches) the first day of the summer season up on the Grande Motte this morning.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Any word on conditions chocksaway or anyone Puzzled
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Any news on the new brev gondola?
Webcams have been off since the 6th June 😒
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@mountainaddict, Sorry no agents in country at the moment.

@Timg60, No, nothing from the resort. But there was some 'Planning Notices' around at the end of the season advertising a consultation so I would be surprised if we saw anything new down there this season. Jonny Logan springs to mind!!

I am popping out in August so will do some digging around....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm there this weekend. Will report back.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hopefully they are just behind schedule. Still being replaced here.
https://en.tignes.net/discover/tignes-ski-area/ski-area/ski-lifts

I hope so as for some reason the sache bubbles are the only lift I go on that gives me a bit of fear.😄
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just a question re transfers to Tignes. Is it better from a transfer pespective to fly into Geneva, Lyon or Grenoble?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@FrediKanoute, As ever it depends!
If you are talking private transfer then Lyon and Grenoble are marginally quicker so its probably down to your choice of flight.
If you want to use bus services then Geneva has Altibus a minimum of 3 services everyday and Ben's Bus as well on Sat/Sun.
Grenoble has Ben's Bus Sat/Sun
Lyon has Altibus/Ben's Bus (it's the same bus) on Fri Sat Sun.

So really down to timings of flights and connecting services.

Whichever you choose - avoid Saturdays if possible.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately we are tossing up between driving or flying an Saturday is probably unavoidable for either.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@FrediKanoute, GVA offers more choice of transfers I’d say. Also more UK flights.

Other than that, Saturdays in/out of GVA I hate. The other two I find not quite so bad, if there’s a transfer to suit your preferred flights.
Transfer time wise, not much difference between the three.

I still have info on 6 GVA transfer operators from last winter. If any use to you, PM me. snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No update guys, sorry. We decided not to ski as it was so warm. It was 13degC at 8am and by lunch time was in the 20s. We thought it would just be ice or slush so skipped.

Instead we did some lovely hikes. Manchet/Pisset and this great hike from Le Saut/Sassiere lower lake up to Picheru and back...

https://www.relive.cc/view/1689051744

That was a stunning hike and I'm up for doing the Picheru loop starting and finishing on the Val side, next.

Back out early August.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@bar shaker, any idea what is happening on the nursery slopes. The front de Neige webcam shows a huge amount of work going on. La Daille webcam has been down for a few days now but I presume the new lift is progressing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

muppet wrote:
@bar shaker, any idea what is happening on the nursery slopes. The front de Neige webcam shows a huge amount of work going on. La Daille webcam has been down for a few days now but I presume the new lift is progressing.

The La Daille camera is back up and working. They've been working at a good rate and were lifting the big red main pulley wheel on, on Monday. Today much more steelwork is in place. There's still a lot to do but having good weather is helping them.

The work you can see on the Front de Niege is the re-development of the Hotel Brussels.

ski holidays
@bar shaker - thanks for posting that hike - is the road suitable for a road car or 4x4 only up from Chevril to the lower lake Sassière?
We’ve got the dog and can’t go into certain areas (like over Col du Palet into the National Park - real bummer as we can’t use the refuge). Any other good dog-hikes (hardy retriever) around Tignes/Val?
Cheers
snow conditions
Thanks, I knew the Brussels closed at the end of the season for a refurb/expansion but didn't realise it was quite so extensive.
They are making some mess!
snow report
Just seen a post on fb from chalet Chardons. The Sache gondola is no more😄
ski holidays
@Timg60, Also saw a Snoworks post today about the removal of the Grand Motte gondola car.
snow report
@GeorgeVII, How are they going to get that down off the mountain Shocked

Lots of upgrades going on over the whole area this summer
snow conditions
Some serious investments across the EK in the last few years. It's really changed!

Still haven't booked yet but Tignes next March is looking likely. Any recommendations for 'cheap' HB hotels in Val Claret not too far from the lifts?

We've been looking at the Diva hotel.
snow conditions
muppet wrote:
@GeorgeVII, How are they going to get that down off the mountain Shocked

In little pieces I expect. It should be easy enough to drive up in an all-terrain truck, roughly along the line of les Lanches lift, Google maps shows some tracks.
snow conditions
Sache TC on fire?

https://www.facebook.com/rtigneslaradiostation.fr/?hc_ref=ARSUqGmF5sr_0rh2pflAnSLpsNfa1GZ50QhsSFY2p-5f3HPvqgq-NMbBk_GaCqyy3e0&fref=nf
ski holidays
@muppet, All those years ago, it went up by helicopter.............

Tignes Pro site says the top station of the Sache Gondola is completely destroyed. No reason given. Had it been the old La Daille gondy the whole of the FD would be gone - which is why the new one has a separate top station.

Edit - Just looked at the Chalet Chardons site, clearly the enquiry had no bearing on the replacement this year of the Sache Bubble. So the fire will save knocking the old one down Shocked

The whole Tarentaise Valley looking resplendent for the TdF today

@HoneyBunny, Had mates stop in the Diva - now known as Belhambra I believe. It does what it says on the tin at a reasonable price. Almost ski in out. Buffet style nosh - not Haute Cuisine but lots of it. Close to the new Coco Rico Nouveau wink .
latest report
Just got into le Dauphine - seemingly a "torch being used to dismantle some beams set fire to the wooden floor which then propagated to some 'pads' (orange cushions??) stored in the basement"
ski holidays
HoneyBunny wrote:
Some serious investments across the EK in the last few years. It's really changed!

Still haven't booked yet but Tignes next March is looking likely. Any recommendations for 'cheap' HB hotels in Val Claret not too far from the lifts?

We've been looking at the Diva hotel.

We stayed in the diva a few years back. For a TO last minute (€410) deal I thought it was a steal. Ok food and a very handy location. At the right price I’d go for it.

When I stayed there we had the best conditions I can remember. It snowed for 2 days before we arrived, cleared up for a bluebird first day, then snowed the next three nights, 12-18” per, each day being either light cloud or bluebird. Four days of fresh tracks down Stade in the morning. If only booking the Diva would result in that again I’d pay waaaay more.
latest report
@chocksaway, @rogg, thanks guys - yes the location does look good. A short stagger from the new Cocorico indeed! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Shame it's not as cheap as 410 Euros though, what a bargain.

Will keep you posted.
ski holidays
For chalet seekers in Tignes Chalet Tournavel (Sauterelle for the last few years) has now been taken 'in house' by the British owners. However, it will be staffed by Paul and Lorraine who have run it for the last 5 seasons. Its just on the right before entering Val Claret (opposite Chartreux) so very peaceful but close to the bus stop to access everything else. Interestingly you can do the full chalet thing or if you take the whole chalet both a simpler catering option or self catering with your shopping done by the hosts is available. Free outside parking is also a big attraction for the self drivers.

As I ski with them both and have sampled the food I may be biased Very Happy but you are certainly not chancing the big operator staff lottery. More details here: https://www.chalettournavel.com/
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Back in Tignes! We arrived late on Wednesday, sadly yesterday was miserable and very rainy after a bit of triv in the morning. However today was warm and sunny - so Tigski and I ventured onto the lake this morning on stand up paddle boards and didn't fall in, which was nice! The village is very busy, summer tourism seems to increase every year. There is a lot of building work going on as well, a plethora of cranes and 'chantiers' abound.

This afternoon we had a quick walk up to the top of the Chaudannes chair, as I wanted to wear in my new walking boots. The hills were alive with the sound of crickety grashoppery things, there was 1000s of butterflies and we watched daddy Falconon teach the youngsters how to soar near some cliffs. As we rounded the corner above the Marais Plateau we heard the tinkling of the cowbells as the local herds start the transformation of flowers into Beaufort cheese:

You can also see the fire damage on the old Brev bubble top station - not far from the top of the Boisses one.

If you were wondering where all the snow went it appears to have arrived here:

That's about as full as I have seen the Lac du Chevril.

Back in the village - Rue de la Poste is full of kit for working on the old Maeva, now called Phoenix

Likewise the Apex 2100 (formerly Hotel Pramecou) has grown significantly

And as for the hole where the Alpaka used to be - its colossal!

I did have a look in the bottom to see if I could find any of my old brain cells, sadly I could only find some from a bloke called George wink wink

Anyway the wine festival starts tomorrow, so maybe less exercise and more drinking! Cool
snow conditions
Good report.
Will your new boots take you up the hill above the funicular?
There is a huge level square of ground being worked on, visible from the Tov webcam, bigger than lots of tennis courts. Would love to know what it is.
latest report
Rumour is that it is going to be a new football (sports) pitch to replace one that will be disappearing when the building work starts on the new Club Med site and surrounding area. Will try to confirm if this rumour is true.
ski holidays
I wasn't far out. It is going to be the new rugby pitch.
ski holidays
Another glorious day, so another paddle boarding and walking day. As its Saturday there are lots of comimgs and goings and frustrated navette drivers as folks seem to be incapable of parking in the free car parks. As we had an early afternoon tea RV the walk was quite short today, so we went up the Tov Gondy and walked the Fresse ridge and down into VC.

Seems that STVI are getting on well with the La Daille 21st Century transport!

Not sure whether the concrete mass is the gondola storage or an extension to FD.

Here are a couple of the new rugby pitch above the Funi - its 120 x 80 'tigskis' which approximate to a yard wink

Most of the work converting the Carline into the Cocorici seems to be revolving around the terrace (hope they don't forget 'those loos'

As well as lots of work on the actual cable car there is upgrading of the entrance, top station of the Funi and at the top of the Grande Motte - 4 pictures paint a 1000 words:

Yes, I had to google Biotope and Biocenosis - things seem to have moved on since A Level biology!

Work well underway on the entrance to the Funi

And here's a shot of the wine festival in full swing:

Toodlepip - time to walk to La Ferme for a large steak and a bottle of something red.
latest report
Great updates and pics, thank you. An awful lot of work is going in Tignes and Val, the area is changing all the time. I won't recognise the place next time I go!!
latest report
Excellent report. Thank you.
Don't fancy being a ball boy on the down hill end of the pitch, bit of a hike down to the funi entrance.
latest report
Thanks for the updates. We're out at the end of the month but next summer I'll try and remember the dates of the wine festival.
ski holidays
Great report @chocksaway. Happy hiking.
latest report
@chocksaway, . Nice report and photos Mike. I've sent you a message but not sure if you've got your UK mobile with you.
latest report
The lack of a reprt yesterday has something to do with the following picture:

A great afternoon in the sun and fine dining at Lo Terrachu. Hic! Something very Floydesque about an outdoor kitchen near a French lake (or even James Martinesque).

Anyway this morning was damp so the afternoon bimble was a bit late starting but after a quick trip up the Toviere we set off into Bellvarde - there are some very deep sinkholes just off the side of Creux:

And then one of those incongruous moments, as we wandered through the snowpark we found a geese and chicken farm by the Snow Park staff hut, so its the Good Life in the Summer and Park (and pot) Life in the Winter.

After a quick shower it was then time for a surprise 50th - guess who?

Here's the man himself - what you can't see is how wet he is - it poured down just after we got back - fair play to Roccos Dutch Mate who got him to go out for a walk in it!

Night Night!
ski holidays
@chocksaway, huge thanks for keeping us all in the loop on developments/renovations in town, can't wait till we next get back tehre, looks cracking in summer as well - enjoy your hikes & long [boozy] lunches snowHead too snowHead free
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy