Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier Snow Report 2017/2018-and useful links.

Poster: A snowHead
@Spin Doctor, if arriving from L2A in half-term, I would park in Monetier, which is the closest village. You can play around with the piste map on the website www.serre-chevalier.com to create an itinerary depending on your abilities. Here's some of my favourites.
I'd head up Bachas chair, to Cibouit lift, do a couple of laps of the reds and blues to warm up, then head up the Yret chair to ski the red from there. It would be a shame to miss the beautiful views at the top. At the bottom as the piste forks, head right towards the Cucumelle chair, then take the Vallons piste towards Frejus. If you fancy a coffee/vinchaud etc, look for the signs for Chalet Pi Mai off to the left not long after piste marker 9 (it is lower than that but it gives you plenty of time, as you need a bit of a schuss up to the Frejus green. Lovely sheltered spot, and a great fire inside on a cold day. Head off past the Vallons chairlift, and then take Frejus chair and Cretes drag lift to get into the rest of the Villeneuve sector. If queues are large, follow the Piste du Bez instead down to the Casse du Beouf chairlift. Ski the blues and reds above the Casse du Beouf, then back towards the Clot Gaulthier chair . There's some nice runs there. Head up the Cote Chevalier (shitty) chair back to just above Casse du Beouf, a lovely black if party are up to it. Alternatively head towards Chantemerle area and some more nice tree sking. Head back towards Monetier after lunch and enjoy the skiing through the trees on the lower pistes before heading to Chalet Peyra Juana for an afternoon beer before heading home.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
At it again, due to continue for 24 hrs

Untitled
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@KenX, snowHead Cool
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Hells Bells, how many more sleeps?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
11 Very Happy 10 and we will at least be in France.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Guys

Could I sneak a few non condition/weather related queries?

Arrive saturday in chantmerle pretty late so ....

1. best ski shop for easy rental for my kids?
2. what time will the supermarkets stay open till on sunday?
3. New years eve - any recommendation for easy going burger/ pizza style bar I might be able to reserve by email and then camp in till midnight (kids 11 & 15).

Thanks and cheers for all the updates!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@kingwhite, village supermarkets are open until around 7-8pm every night including Sundays. Ski shops until around 7pm. Depends where your staying for the most convenient. Melquiond Sports is a large one on the main road (there's a supermarket there too).
They have lockers down near the lifts to store skis and boots too. Pizzeria in Chantemerle is La Cabassa https://www.facebook.com/La-Cabassa-LY-157128384647903/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Hells Bells thank you so much - that looks really great. Can't wait!!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not too good on the roads here with the weather and hordes leaving the slopes and as ever gridlock either side of Chantermerle.

Cars not coping and those with chains on driving at 20kph

Had to take daughter down to Puy St Pierre above Briancon at 16:30 just as it was starting, then on the way back gridlock from La Salle to Briancon in an ever increasing blizzard!

Have go and pick her up in an hour or so, looks like roads have quietened down but conditions out there are bonkers.

@Spin Doctor, wouldn't get too concerned about being no skis for kids to rent, if it were me I'd walk around and see which shops have the smallest queue.

I'm in Chantermerle later so will look at the name of another pizzeria if I remember !
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Weathercam, the roads are lethal, look wet after today's warm temps, but are black ice as the temp falls away again........
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@kingwhite, Pizzeria l'Etable, last building on the right going toward Villeneuve, has been recommended to us several times, the sport shop almost next door (Sport Rent) also Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheers for the info

Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@KenX, that's the pizzeria I was thinking of, the bus stop right outside, I've eaten twice in there.

I heard last night that the Cavailou is fully booked for NYE and that was in August!

I'll post some pics from the road mayhem in a new thread, just have to think of a suitable title Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Haven't eaten anywhere in Chantemerle for a couple of years now.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Hells Bells, one of the best restaurants in the valley is Le Triptyque in Chantermerle.

Was taken there as a thank-you last season for the first time and very impressive.

As for today many a lift closed due to high winds so we opted for Monetier - arrived at 11:45 and car parks rammed and a big queue for the Bachas - brought three hour ticket for €25 as Yret, Echauda and Cibouit were closed and took Aya up as not queue then up the Lauzieres chair then skied nigh on empty pistes either side of the drag and then back down and no queue for the Bachas.

You just gotta love the French the way they all clear off at Noon Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@Weathercam, we've eaten there before, just not for a while. Heard they were under new management?
snow report
If there's much more falls, @Weathercam's bird table is going to disappear, the patio table is long gone.
snow report
sat in Liverpool airport .... tapping fingers nervously 🤪
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, have a nasty feeling it's going to consolidate pretty rapidly tomorrow Sad

Close to a few rattles getting thrown out the pram today as attempted to get one of my daughters to ski untracked powder, even though it was on the piste and then lower down on Le Bez / Frejus pistes were somewhat challenging with all the fresh snow and large bumps and snow which was getting heavier lower down and of course viz was a bit of an issue, but she sort of managed it, just need to keep at it.

Off piste was getting tracked out very quickly as many of the people skiing at this time of year are from well off families with second homes here and have been skiing for a long time many having private lessons / guides so they know lots of the secret off piste stashes and the younger uber keen ones are just skiing all day and ripping it all up.

And away from the mountain the roads are just crazy and some of the sights are just unbelievable. Those cars parked along any main road are totally buried as snow ploughs have just pushed snow up against them or blown the snow being cleared on top of them.

Then as temps rise to double figs tomorrow those that have not bothered to clear their car or have no idea it's been buried are going to have problems as the snow melts then refreezes.

Back in my favorite habitat Smile

snow conditions
Arrived ... great transfer over from milan with Alpine transfer company

snow looks awesome
ski holidays
Would this be the best conversation to check for weather in Puy-Saint-Vincent?
Arrive on the 10th for 10 days. Very Happy

Thanks
snow report
@Cymro66, I don't think we have a separate Puy thread right now, so yes, if someone has any info on the current conditions, which should be good, I'm sure they will be along soon.
snow conditions
@Hells Bells, thanks
ski holidays
@Cymro66, normally gets the same snow as where we are, so plenty Very Happy
snow conditions
Biggest fall I’ve had in 20 years today Skullie .... such an idiot ... sliding into monetier down clot gaillard for the first time .... didn’t spot the sneaky slow sign and subsequent jump!

Other than the fact that i’ve nearly killed mesen ... we enjoyed our first trip to montier.

.... right where’s the ibuprofen? Shocked
snow conditions
Ouch! I'd blame the flat light.............
snow conditions
Big day yesterday with @KenX, and some mates doing Couloir Guibertes

http://youtube.com/v/B23I-ci684s

More on the blog here.

Currently some of the strongest gusts I think we've ever had going on outside at the moment and still I can see skiers up the hill coming down and going up the CDB !!!!!!
snow report
Due out to Serre Chevalier on the 21 January 2018 for a week staying at Club Med. Will be my third trip to the resort and can't wait. Snow is looking pretty good at the moment - hope the current wind and rain does not damage it too much. Serre Chevalier does not look to be due as much of a drenching as some of the resorts further North though. More snow potential over the weekend so fingers crossed it all comes good.

Griggs
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hope the winds have kept my current guest off the mountain and with his unannounced St Bernard puppy. I'm have visions of it eating the sofa if it is left unattended Shocked
snow report
@Griggs, I can assure you on the basis on "sods law" you will have a truly epic week as that's when we're in Japan Toofy Grin

@Hells Bells, I'm trying to recollect where I saw a puppy yesterday that could have been a St Bernard though at the time I thought it was a Bernese and did have what looked like part of a sofa in its mouth Laughing
snow report
Epic week would be amazing @Weathercam, however after the slightly ropey snow of last year I would settle for anything close to normal to be honest ! Serre Chevalier has never let us down. I presume that there is a solid enough base in place to be able to weather the current slightly inclement weather event?!

Griggs
snow report
@Weathercam, rolling eyes Laughing Laughing Bernese, St Bernard who knows.
snow conditions
The conditions and my bruised ribs were far better than I expected! The weather seemed to drive most off the mountain ...

only accents in the bar at the end of the day were us tykes and a big group of geordies ....

nowt but a breeze and a bit of wet Very Happy
snow report
Oh and l’estable .... very very nice .... if anyone asks for future ideas
snow conditions
Looks like it has actually been snowing instead of raining overnight according to @Weathercam's garden webcam
snow report
@Hells Bells,

was snowing from about 9.30pm and all night long i think.

just short of knee deep and still going - very beautiful!
ski holidays
Looks like you’ve lucked out with temps. Raining hard at 1500m over in CH for several hours. What’s the avalanche risk over there? La Grave might be very tempting over the next few days!
snow report
@BobinCH, only just lucky, 0 degrees and the snow is very wet, not going up today as it would be unpleasant and higher up very dangerous after the high winds........
latest report
I can confirm ... full on drowned rat status ... sat by the fire in bivouwac (sp?) drying off Laughing
snow conditions
get back out there Webcams suggest brightening up Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy