Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lyon Train

Poster: A snowHead
I am trying and trying to figure out the "booking horizon" for Eurostar direct to Lyon. Their website simply says: Tickets on the direct* Eurostar train go on sale between 150 and 280 days in advance, depending on when you book.

However as far as I can see tickets are only now on sale for the next 60 days.

I could call them, but that will cost £10.

Anyone got any info on this.

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I found it easier to book from the SNCF website, which is a lot less clunky than the Eurostar one. As it happens, I ended up having to book on the phone for my very recent journey, because even the SNCF site was having problems, but they were very helpful on the phone and waived the booking fee.

I've never gone all the way to Avignon by train, such a lovely way to travel. Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks - yes, less clunky. Good tip. Appreciate it.

But still can't see when tickets for February go on sale!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@TheManOnTheBus, maybe just try phoning with that question?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks, Hurtle. Yep - as said above - it would cost £10, so thought a quick question here might produce something useful.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Surely the £10 call fee is only if you actually make a booking during the call?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You could also ask them on their Facebook page.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hells Bells wrote:
Surely the £10 call fee is only if you actually make a booking during the call?
Yes, that's what I would have thought too.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lyon is a lovely city, with its two rivers (Rhône and Saône), the Fourvière hill with the Basilica and the nearby Roman amphitheatre and Museum, the Lumière brothers home and museum, the Parc de la Tête d'Or etc.

It is also of course a centre of cuisine and gastronomy. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Click on the live chat button on the bottom right corner of their website. Ask them. I had similar questions before the booking horizon for the direct winter service to Bourg St Maurice and they were able to quickly and accurately answer them.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@TheManOnTheBus, I don't think there is a direct Eurostar to Lyon between around the start of November and the end of March. (Probably the rolling stock used to provide the Lyon / Avignon service in summer is that for the Bourg St Maurice ski train in winter).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@TheManOnTheBus, You could, of course, change at Lille at any time. Or fly to CdG and get the train from there
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@TheManOnTheBus, as @ecureuil notes, there is no direct service London-Lyon from 5 Nov 2017 until spring 2018 (see https://www.seat61.com/eurostar-to-lyon-avignon-marseille.htm). Changing at Lille is quite convenient though if you want to avoid crossing Paris on the metro.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you. I did call them in the end.... They said that they couldn't tell me at all when the tickets would open up and "no decision had been made" as to whether they would run.

Interesting that Seat61 said no trains until spring 2018. That might be right, which is a shame.

BUT, the train did operate last year direct one day a week (a friend took it and met me at Lyon). AND Eurostar says they will operate "all year round": https://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/city-breaks/lyon. But they just don't tell you when tickets go on sale.

Puzzling. Perhaps Eurostar is out of date. I suspect that is it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@TheManOnTheBus, my friends in Provence also tell me that the direct train is now operating once a week throughout the year. Eurostar customer service is just awful. Did you try SNCF? (Personally I've given up on seat61, I don't think he updates it properly.)
latest report
Thank you @Hurtle, that is encouraging.

According to this site there is a sparse winter direct service (including Feb half term which is when I would want it):
https://loco2.com/destinations/london-lyon-train . . Don't know if loco2 is more reliable than Seat61

So there is hope yet. I will call SNCF to figure out when trains (if they run) may go on sale.
snow conditions
It appears that the Eurostar Lyon/Avignon/Marseilles service has been suspended after 4 Nov 2017 until Eurostar decide what to do.

Eurostar bookings are open six months in advance (except the ski train which has always had special dates). But they are showing nothing at all on the Marseilles route in 2018.

This is a great pity. This year they ran a Saturday service from January to March 2017, then started a more frequent service from April 2017.

I am beginning to worry that this service may be scrapped completely.
snow conditions
AndrewsPeppers wrote:
... This year they ran a Saturday service from January to March 2017 ...

I'm surprised, as they certainly didn't do that up to and including 2016 (although there were occasional xmas / new year / half-term services).

Perhaps 2017 was a trial - that may not have attracted enough custom?
snow conditions
Take a look at Trainline.com. I'm about to book a train from San Remo to London and back, in late November. Changes in Ventimiglia and Paris. Direct would be nice, but Paris isn't difficult to change in. The Belgian trains change at Lille which is very easy.
snow report
Eurostar ran the Saturday Lyon/Marseille service through Jan/Feb/March 2016. And also through Autumn 2015.

I've just had a look at my old Eurostar bookings to confirm this.

My memory is that Eurostar said they would run a year round service to Marseille, it is only this year that they have cancelled all the winter (ie Qtr4 2017/Qtr1 2018) Saturday timetable.
snow conditions
AndrewsPeppers wrote:
Eurostar ran the Saturday Lyon/Marseille service through Jan/Feb/March 2016. And also through Autumn 2015.

I've just had a look at my old Eurostar bookings to confirm this. ...

Did you travel to Lyon every Saturday in Jan-Mar 2016? Or perhaps just on one date at around half-term?
I went to Lyon in early March 2016, and Eurostar could only offer a change at either Lille or Paris (or the ski-train to Moutiers and a local train back). And I looked into the same route at a similar time in previous years - with a similar result.
snow report
From snowcarbon email

Eurostar cancels its 2017-18 via-Lyon winter service
Ugh! Eurostar has cancelled its 2017 winter service from London and Ashford to Lyon - which had made a good route to a lot of different French ski resorts.

Eurostar has stated that it is 'lack of demand' for the service,
snow conditions
@ster, damn them! Do you know when the service resumes? I want to use it to get to Avignon again.
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
@ster, damn them! Do you know when the service resumes? I want to use it to get to Avignon again.

No word on the snowcarbon email/site but sounds like the man at snowcarbon might lobby to get it re-instated for the following season.

But imagine you can get Eurostar to Paris then a Paris-Lyon normal French train? Just a bit more of a pain ticket/timing wise?
latest report
@ster, yeah, it's so much more of a faff than sauntering on to the train at St Pancras and sauntering off it again in Avignon a few hours later.
ski holidays
Yep bummer: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/news/new-rail-route-to-austria-helps-skiers-make-tracks/
snow report
Resuscitating this thread to see if anyone can explain what Eurostar are up to this year and if anyone knows what is happening re changing at Lille. (It seems clear there is no winter direct train as there is in the summer, which is a shame.)

Last season I booked London to Lyon Part Dieu with a very, very easy interchange at Lille.

This year, the Eurostar booking engine (nor Trainline) gives me the option of changing at Lille.

Anyone know why?

Thanks
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy