Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2017/18 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@PeteMan,
Quote:

an nice way for someone who's not strong skier to spend a morning would be...

1) Up Schatterberg Express
2) Ski 2a and 2b whist the skier and runs are fresh (stop at bottom of 2b Jauseralm for refreshments (Jager Tea / Coffee / Beer)
3) Up Schonleitenbahn Lift
4) Ski 62 and 63 (63 being great for weaker skiers)
5) Ski 68 (stop half way for Gulash Soup at Hecherhutte)
6) Bus back to Saalbach (on the hour then every 20 minutes)

The only suggestion that I'd make is that, if the weather is nice, instead of taking a bus back to Saalbach (which incidentally necessitates changing buses at the Schoenleitenbahn lift station), it might be better to take the bus only as far as the Schoenleitenbahn and to go up in the gondola to the Wildenkarkogel. No more lifts from there - downhill all the way to Saalbach, so take as long as needed or inclined, calling at the Bergeralm for happy hour on the way, if by then it's approaching 3.30pm. It would even be possible to download on the gondola from the Kohlmaisgipfelbahn mid-station if the weak skier has had enough by then.

I realise that it boils down to stamina, but a long lunch and one of the Hecherhuette's ultra-strong Jagatees should have a turbo-charging effect. Also I would also encourage anyone staying in accommodation in the upper (northern) side of the village to finish the day by skiing down the Kohlmais, rather than catch a bus back to Saalbach and have to walk up through the village. (It's certainly a big influencing factor for me, as we can ski back to our door if we come down the Kohlmais). If the hypothetical "weak skier" was staying in accommodation along the main road or at the lower end of the village, I can see the attraction of returning by bus. Even then, an early evening apres-ski session at the Hinterhag Alm or the Spitzbub might provide an incentive to end by skiing down the Kohlmais.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jimmybog, and @PeteMan, Well, here's my guide to a day out for good skiers and less competent/confident skiers to Fieberbrunn:

ITINERARY 3 – Day trip to Fieberbrunn (Weak/Good Intermediates)
An enjoyable and satisfying excursion to a scenic and relatively quiet corner of the Ski Circus, which can be adapted to suit different grades of skier by utilising the gondola cable cars. (N.B. It is the responsibility of any skier to satisfy him/herself that runs are within his/her level of competence. The author has provided the following guidance in good faith but disclaims all responsibility for anyone who takes on a challenge that is beyond their competence level, or, whether through poor conditions, bad timing, accident or inadequate speed, finds that they have left insufficient time to get back to Saalbach.)
1. Take the Bernkogelbahn gondola and then the Bernkogel 6er to the summit of the Bernkogel
2. Take blue piste 47 or red piste 48 to the Reiter-Ost 6er chair lift
3. From the summit of the Reiterkogel, less confident skiers can take the TirolS gondola down into the valley in the direction of Fieberbrunn. Good intermediates can ski down blue piste 37 and then turn left onto red piste F14 (which has a few steep sections and is a relatively challenging red run). Meet anyone who has taken the gondola at the bottom.
4. All then take the second leg of the TirolS gondola up the other side of the valley, changing to the Reckmoos Sud gondola after a short distance.
5. At the top of the latter gondola, less confident skiers can descend towards Fieberbrunn in the Reckmoos Nord gondola, whilst good intermediates can take red piste F10. On this run there is the option to take black piste 10a for a short distance – this is a short and easy black, which many people prefer to the red.
6. Meet up at the bottom, and all get in the Reckmoos Nord gondola for the short second leg.
7. All take red piste F1c down to Fieberbrunn. This is a long, undulating and very attractive run through the trees. It is a relatively easy red, and any slightly steeper sections are not likely to prove daunting to any skier who can handle the blue runs of Saalbach.
8. At the bottom, all take the Doischberg (yellow) gondola, and then take red piste F8 back to the bottom. This run is an absolute joy and is easier than most blue runs at Saalbach.
9. Then all take the Streuboden gondola, followed by the Larchfilzkogel gondola, to the summit of the Larchfilzkogel.
10. All take red piste F1, and after a very short distance turn left onto red piste F6 (if you miss the turning or F6 is closed, you can continue on F1 and get onto blue piste F6a)
11. Stop for lunch at the Wildalpgatterl restaurant – delicious home-made, typically Austrian food, including fresh, home-made bread.
12. Leave preferably by 2.30pm, and all take blue pistes F4 and F2 to the bottom (if pushed for time an alternative and possibly slightly quicker option would be to go up the Larchfilzkogel gondola and take red piste F1 to the Reckmoos Nord gondola).
13. From the bottom all take the Doischberg (yellow) gondola and then blue piste F8a to the Larchfilzen 4er chair lift.
14. All ski a very short distance down red piste F1 to the Reckmoos Nord gondola (keep an eye to the right and be careful not to overshoot it).
15. All take the Reckmoos Nord gondola (both stages) down to the valley bottom and then up the other side.
16. Less confident or tired skiers may prefer to take the Reckmoos Sud gondola, and then the TirolS gondola, down to the bottom of the valley in the direction of Saalbach. However red piste F12 and blue piste F12a provide enjoyable alternative runs down. The blue piste is an easy track. The top section of F12, before you get to the blue, is relatively easy and should not pose a problem for a less confident skier.
17. In good conditions it is possible to ski all the way to the bottom of the valley, taking blue piste F13 from the point where you change from the Reckmoos Sud gondola to the TirolS gondola.
18. Meet at the bottom to take the second leg of the TirolS gondola up the other side towards Saalbach (last gondola 4.00pm!!)
19. From the Reiterkogel take blue piste 37 to the Wetterkreuz 6er chair lift (this is a relatively short, but steep and sometimes busy/mogully blue, so a skier with tired legs might prefer to take the Reiter-Ost 6er chair lift down).
20. From the summit of the Bernkogel take blue piste 46 all the way down to Saalbach (there is the option to take the Bernkogelbahn gondola when you reach the top station).
21. A recommended pit stop on the way down is the Westernstadl restaurant on the right-hand side, a short distance beyond the top station of the Bernkogelbahn.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That is an excellant guide Richard and thanks for the time you took to write it, much appreciated.

My assumption for point 7. is that you could instead of going down F1C, take blue F6a and then F4 to the top of the Strueboden gondola area??
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A while ago I wrote myself a guide to get to Leogang and back the easier way (for my upcoming trip), based on Richards advice and various youtube videos, photos, google earth etc. Be interested to see what others think of it and wether its doable and to add their own advice where required, as for some parts of it I'm not 100% certain of things:

From Saalbach:

1. Take bus to Schonleiten bahn gondola station
2. Take gondola up to Wildenkargoel
3. Blue 62 down to Seidlalm and then blue 63 to bottom of Polten 8er
4. Up Polten 8er chair
5. Montelino trail and last section of blue 81 down to Asitzmuldenbahn chair
6. Up Asitzmuldenbahn chair
7. Blue 87 down to Asitzbrau, Alte Schmiede restaurant area. Getting onto blue 87 to the right of the Asitzgipfelbahn chair exit looks less steeper than it does to the left side??
8. Choice of runs blue 92 or blue 88

Return to Saalbach from Asitzbrau/Alte Schmiede restaurant area:

1. Take blue 87 from Hendl Fischerie restaurant down to Asitzgipfelbahn chair. Or take the track just below Asiztbrau restaurant to where it crosses red 86 and then turn left onto red 86 to rejoin blue 87 down to Asitzgipfelbahn chair
2. Take Asitzgipfelbahn chair up
3. Blue 85 or blue 83 down to Asitzkogel chair. (advice required as to which route is easier?)
4. Alternate route down to Asitzkogel chair is take the track down below Asitzbrau, cross over red 86 and join blue 85 down to Asitzkogel chair (Advice required if this is possible?)
5. Asitzkogel chair up
6. Blue 81 and then onto blue 68 (assuming its open). After a short section, turn right onto a track (no piste number) taking you down to bottom of Polten 8er chair. This to avoid steeper section of blue 63 above Seidl Alm. Advice required to determine if blue 68 is usually open at least until the right turn onto the track down to Polten chair, even if remainder of 68 is shut.
7. From bottom of polten chair, blue 64 to mid-station of Schonleiten bahn.
8. Download to valley and bus back or 9. below
9. Schonleitenbahn up to Wildenkarkogel
10. Blue 66 down to Bergeralm and Saalbach. From videos, the top section of blue 66 looks ok for a weaker skier but from where it joins the slopes from top of Magic 6er chair, it looks quite steep down to Bergeralm. Could this section pose an issue to a less confident skier? It looks quite steep for a fair distance?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tatmanstours wrote:
@PeteMan,
Quote:

an nice way for someone who's not strong skier to spend a morning would be...

1) Up Schatterberg Express
2) Ski 2a and 2b whist the skier and runs are fresh (stop at bottom of 2b Jauseralm for refreshments (Jager Tea / Coffee / Beer)
3) Up Schonleitenbahn Lift
4) Ski 62 and 63 (63 being great for weaker skiers)
5) Ski 68 (stop half way for Gulash Soup at Hecherhutte)
6) Bus back to Saalbach (on the hour then every 20 minutes)

The only suggestion that I'd make is that, if the weather is nice, instead of taking a bus back to Saalbach (which incidentally necessitates changing buses at the Schoenleitenbahn lift station), it might be better to take the bus only as far as the Schoenleitenbahn and to go up in the gondola to the Wildenkarkogel. No more lifts from there - downhill all the way to Saalbach, so take as long as needed or inclined, calling at the Bergeralm for happy hour on the way, if by then it's approaching 3.30pm. It would even be possible to download on the gondola from the Kohlmaisgipfelbahn mid-station if the weak skier has had enough by then.

I realise that it boils down to stamina, but a long lunch and one of the Hecherhuette's ultra-strong Jagatees should have a turbo-charging effect. Also I would also encourage anyone staying in accommodation in the upper (northern) side of the village to finish the day by skiing down the Kohlmais, rather than catch a bus back to Saalbach and have to walk up through the village. (It's certainly a big influencing factor for me, as we can ski back to our door if we come down the Kohlmais). If the hypothetical "weak skier" was staying in accommodation along the main road or at the lower end of the village, I can see the attraction of returning by bus. Even then, an early evening apres-ski session at the Hinterhag Alm or the Spitzbub might provide an incentive to end by skiing down the Kohlmais.

I totally agree, 68 and if necessary the Kohmaisgipfelbahn or 52 is a much more civilized way to return.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
tatmanstours wrote:
@jimmybog, and @PeteMan, Well, here's my guide to a day out for good skiers and less competent/confident skiers to Fieberbrunn:

An enjoyable and satisfying excursion to a scenic and relatively quiet corner of the Ski Circus, which can be adapted to suit different grades of skier by utilising the gondola cable cars. (N.B. It is the responsibility of any skier to satisfy him/herself that runs are within his/her level of competence. The author has provided the following guidance in good faith but disclaims all responsibility for anyone who takes on a challenge that is beyond their competence level, or, whether through poor conditions, bad timing, accident or inadequate speed, finds that they have left insufficient time to get back to Saalbach.)
1. Take the Bernkogelbahn gondola and then the Bernkogel 6er to the summit of the Bernkogel
3. From the summit of the Reiterkogel, less confident skiers can take the TirolS gondola down into the valley in the direction of Fieberbrunn. Good intermediates can ski down blue piste 37 and then turn left onto red piste F14 (which has a few steep sections and is a relatively challenging red run). Meet anyone who has taken the gondola at the bottom.
4. All then take the second leg of the TirolS gondola up the other side of the valley, changing to the Reckmoos Sud gondola after a short distance.
5. At the top of the latter gondola, less confident skiers can descend towards Fieberbrunn in the Reckmoos Nord gondola, whilst good intermediates can take red piste F10. On this run there is the option to take black piste 10a for a short distance – this is a short and easy black, which many people prefer to the red.
6. Meet up at the bottom, and all get in the Reckmoos Nord gondola for the short second leg.
7. All take red piste F1c down to Fieberbrunn. This is a long, undulating and very attractive run through the trees. It is a relatively easy red, and any slightly steeper sections are not likely to prove daunting to any skier who can handle the blue runs of Saalbach.
8. At the bottom, all take the Doischberg (yellow) gondola, and then take red piste F8 back to the bottom. This run is an absolute joy and is easier than most blue runs at Saalbach.
9. Then all take the Streuboden gondola, followed by the Larchfilzkogel gondola, to the summit of the Larchfilzkogel.
10. All take red piste F1, and after a very short distance turn left onto red piste F6 (if you miss the turning or F6 is closed, you can continue on F1 and get onto blue piste F6a)
11. Stop for lunch at the Wildalpgatterl restaurant – delicious home-made, typically Austrian food, including fresh, home-made bread.
12. Leave preferably by 2.30pm, and all take blue pistes F4 and F2 to the bottom (if pushed for time an alternative and possibly slightly quicker option would be to go up the Larchfilzkogel gondola and take red piste F1 to the Reckmoos Nord gondola).
13. From the bottom all take the Doischberg (yellow) gondola and then blue piste F8a to the Larchfilzen 4er chair lift.
14. All ski a very short distance down red piste F1 to the Reckmoos Nord gondola (keep an eye to the right and be careful not to overshoot it).
15. All take the Reckmoos Nord gondola (both stages) down to the valley bottom and then up the other side.
16. Less confident or tired skiers may prefer to take the Reckmoos Sud gondola, and then the TirolS gondola, down to the bottom of the valley in the direction of Saalbach. However red piste F12 and blue piste F12a provide enjoyable alternative runs down. The blue piste is an easy track. The top section of F12, before you get to the blue, is relatively easy and should not pose a problem for a less confident skier.
17. In good conditions it is possible to ski all the way to the bottom of the valley, taking blue piste F13 from the point where you change from the Reckmoos Sud gondola to the TirolS gondola.
18. Meet at the bottom to take the second leg of the TirolS gondola up the other side towards Saalbach (last gondola 4.00pm!!)
19. From the Reiterkogel take blue piste 37 to the Wetterkreuz 6er chair lift (this is a relatively short, but steep and sometimes busy/mogully blue, so a skier with tired legs might prefer to take the Reiter-Ost 6er chair lift down).
20. From the summit of the Bernkogel take blue piste 46 all the way down to Saalbach (there is the option to take the Bernkogelbahn gondola when you reach the top station).
21. A recommended pit stop on the way down is the Westernstadl restaurant on the right-hand side, a short distance beyond the top station of the Bernkogelbahn.

Richard, this is excellent and I will definitely try it next year. My only comments are...

20. The top section of 46 is such an easy and short run that it's tempting to carry on. Unfit skiers (like my mate) can regret this as the lower section is steeper, longer and can get a bit chopped up. Could be a bit much after a full day skiing in Fieberbrunn so downloading often a good idea. Also worth noting that nearly everyone will enjoy the the short Snow Trail to the left of 46.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
wow... Shocked

And I thought I was a 'planner'
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jimmybog wrote:
A while ago I wrote myself a guide to get to Leogang and back the easier way (for my upcoming trip), based on Richards advice and various youtube videos, photos, google earth etc. Be interested to see what others think of it and wether its doable and to add their own advice where required, as for some parts of it I'm not 100% certain of things:

From Saalbach:

1. Take bus to Schonleiten bahn gondola station
2. Take gondola up to Wildenkargoel
3. Blue 62 down to Seidlalm and then blue 63 to bottom of Polten 8er
4. Up Polten 8er chair
5. Montelino trail and last section of blue 81 down to Asitzmuldenbahn chair
6. Up Asitzmuldenbahn chair
7. Blue 87 down to Asitzbrau, Alte Schmiede restaurant area. Getting onto blue 87 to the right of the Asitzgipfelbahn chair exit looks less steeper than it does to the left side??
8. Choice of runs blue 92 or blue 88

Spot on, this is exactly what we did. What I would say is that it's a fairly easy ski so you really should push yourself to get to the bottom of 90 which is a nice run though the trees down into Leogang. Then get the Asitzbahn back up and have lunch at the Chicken Man (do not leave your best Hestra gloves on the cable car though)! I've not skied 93 but I assume that's a nice run too.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jimmybog wrote:

1. Take blue 87 from Hendl Fischerie restaurant down to Asitzgipfelbahn chair. Or take the track just below Asiztbrau restaurant to where it crosses red 86 and then turn left onto red 86 to rejoin blue 87 down to Asitzgipfelbahn chair
2. Take Asitzgipfelbahn chair up
3. Blue 85 or blue 83 down to Asitzkogel chair. (advice required as to which route is easier?)
4. Alternate route down to Asitzkogel chair is take the track down below Asitzbrau, cross over red 86 and join blue 85 down to Asitzkogel chair (Advice required if this is possible?)
5. Asitzkogel chair up
6. Blue 81 and then onto blue 68 (assuming its open). After a short section, turn right onto a track (no piste number) taking you down to bottom of Polten 8er chair. This to avoid steeper section of blue 63 above Seidl Alm. Advice required to determine if blue 68 is usually open at least until the right turn onto the track down to Polten chair, even if remainder of 68 is shut.
7. From bottom of polten chair, blue 64 to mid-station of Schonleiten bahn.
8. Download to valley and bus back or 9. below
9. Schonleitenbahn up to Wildenkarkogel
10. Blue 66 down to Bergeralm and Saalbach. From videos, the top section of blue 66 looks ok for a weaker skier but from where it joins the slopes from top of Magic 6er chair, it looks quite steep down to Bergeralm. Could this section pose an issue to a less confident skier? It looks quite steep for a fair distance?

Comments:

6. I don't think the upper section of 63 is steep, in fact 68 (particularly the lower section) is a run that weaker skiers will really enjoy. 68 and the roadway off to the right are very nice too.
10. I don't think any of 66 would pose much of a problem but if in doubt do it when you've got some energy rather than at the end of the day. As Richard points out you can always download at the end of 66 for the final bit into Saalbach if you're out of puff!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
tatmanstours wrote:

As a disclaimer to the trip over to Fieberbrunn always keep an eye on the weather. Wind can infrequently shut the Tirol-S or shut it early. Although I would probably guess that if the skier is timid and it’s already blowing a bit you’d probably give the trip over a miss that day.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
[quote="PeteMan"]
jimmybog wrote:

Comments:

6. I don't think the upper section of 63 is steep, in fact 68 (particularly the lower section) is a run that weaker skiers will really enjoy. 68 and the roadway off to the right are very nice too.

Thanks Pete. But comment 6. didn't make sense to me? You repeated mentioning run 68 twice? Did you mean that?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hammerite wrote:
As a disclaimer to the trip over to Fieberbrunn always keep an eye on the weather. Wind can infrequently shut the Tirol-S or shut it early. Although I would probably guess that if the skier is timid and it’s already blowing a bit you’d probably give the trip over a miss that day.

And probably an €80 taxi ride back to Saalbach!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
[quote="jimmybog"]
PeteMan wrote:
jimmybog wrote:

Comments:

Thanks Pete. But comment 6. didn't make sense to me? You repeated mentioning run 68 twice? Did you mean that?

Sorry, typo, should have said...

6. I don't think the upper section of 63 is steep, in fact 63 (particularly the lower section) is a run that weaker skiers will really enjoy. 68 and the roadway off to the right are very nice too.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am sure it is possible to catch a bus from Fieberbrunn to Leogang if the link closed.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The timetable of the Fieberbrunn - Leogang is quite short - it goes several times in the morning, and several times in the afternoon.
snow report
@Bobhb, @Nitro, Then once you get to Leogang you have to get round to Saalbach. No problem if the lifts are still open, but if they’re not...
ski holidays
@Bobhb,the bus from fieberbrunn lifts departs to leogang at 14.31 the next one gives no time to return to saalbach on skis but does connect to zell or the village at the end of the valley whos name I forget which then connects to a bus to saalbach so is doable if stuck and far cheaper than a taxi but obviously longer in time. It is possible to catch the 14.31 then uplift out of leogang and make it to the bergeralm on the way back to saalbach under normal conditions as we did it last year having spent longer on the lower slopes of fieberbrun than intended the timetable is available on line. One point to note the leogang to fieberbrun way is not really practical due to the times being early morning or late afternoon unless theve changed
snow conditions
@ski for fun, Maishofen is the name of the village at the end of the Glemm valley
ski holidays
hammerite wrote:
@ski for fun, Maishofen is the name of the village at the end of the Glemm valley

thanks, and that is where I will be turning right next week on our final approach to saalbach, not long now and conditions look great and forecast reasonable but very cold this coming week might even get to ski 68 this time
snow conditions
Is there a bus from the bottom of run 68 back to Saalbach? Map doesn't show a lift back up?
snow conditions
@Posidrive, The ski bus leaves Viehhofen every 20 minutes. It leaves at 10 to, 10 past and half past the hour and is punctual. I recommend that you call at the Hecherhuette restaurant (one of the best - all home made food - serves the best gulasch soup, apfel strudl and jagatee in the valley), which is about two-thirds of the way down the run, and leave about 10 minutes before the bus is due (for a good skier) or 15 - 20 mins before (for a slow skier). You should then avoid having to wait more than a couple of minutes for the bus. The first time allow a little bit of extra time - people have been known to get it wrong at the bottom. When you ski down to just above the valley bottom, you schuss is a straight line, resisting the temptation to turn right towards the road (where you may see children's ski schools practising). Just go straight, parallel to the road, until you reach an alley way at the end. Turn right into that alley way, and you will get to the bus stop after about 30 yards.
The bus journey takes about 10 minutes to the Schoenleitenbahn, from where you either go up and ski down pistes 66 and 51/52/53/54 to Saalbach (via the Bergeralm - happy hour 3.30-4.30pm) or change buses to continue by bus back to Saalbach.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 28-02-18 15:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
The bus stop (and road), has moved now though Richard, hasn't it, meaning you do now cut across the bottom of the beginner area and the stop is immediately there(?)
snow conditions
@NickYoung, No, it’s still in the same place. If you’ve been cutting across the beginners’ area to the road, you’ve been going to the first bus stop after the one that most people go to.
snow report
Posidrive wrote:
Is there a bus from the bottom of run 68 back to Saalbach? Map doesn't show a lift back up?

Don't let the bus thing put you off, it's probably my favorite run in the valley (particularity if time it to have lunch on the way down).
ski holidays
tatmanstours wrote:
@NickYoung, No, it’s still in the same place. If you’ve been cutting across the beginners’ area to the road, you’ve been going to the first bus stop after the one that most people go to.

Is 68 still open? That must be a record!
ski holidays
@PeteMan, yes, been open most of the season, thanks to the exceptional snow and cold temperatures.
latest report
thats good news if 68 is open. as with luck one day next week will be in with a chance of giving it a go as never been open in previous trips . Just need this so called beast from the east to relent so we make the ferry on time(roads are shut /blocked round home atm) and they run on time along with a reasonable clear journey across germany to arrive sat in time so we can take advantage of the 3pm skipass bonus
snow conditions
On our way ,very rough and 4hour delayed ferry cross yesterday due to the beast from the east ,no problem on the journey down through holland and germany .was aiming to get to rosenheim for stopover but time and hunger has meant we are in augsberg but should still make it to saalbach around lunchtime sat
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tatmanstours wrote:
@Posidrive, The ski bus leaves Viehhofen every 20 minutes. It leaves at 10 to, 10 past and half past the hour and is punctual. I recommend that you call at the Hecherhuette restaurant (one of the best - all home made food - serves the best gulasch soup, apfel strudl and jagatee in the valley), which is about two-thirds of the way down the run, and leave about 10 minutes before the bus is due (for a good skier) or 15 - 20 mins before (for a slow skier). You should then avoid having to wait more than a couple of minutes for the bus. The first time allow a little bit of extra time - people have been known to get it wrong at the bottom. When you ski down to just above the valley bottom, you schuss is a straight line, resisting the temptation to turn right towards the road (where you may see children's ski schools practising). Just go straight, parallel to the road, until you reach an alley way at the end. Turn right into that alley way, and you will get to the bus stop after about 30 yards.
The bus journey takes about 10 minutes to the Schoenleitenbahn, from where you either go up and ski down pistes 66 and 51/52/53/54 to Saalbach (via the Bergeralm - happy hour 3.30-4.30pm) or change buses to continue by bus back to Saalbach.

Thanks, Great info. The strudel was great as well. This run was also the only one not an ice field this week Smile
snow conditions
@Posidrive, Surprised you mention ice. Admittedly we haven’t ventured farther than the Kohlmais, Bernkogel and Reiterkogel in the last few days, but we thought the snow conditions were pretty good.
ski holidays
Back yesterday from my second trip of the season. It was bloomin' cold.

Only managed one trip to the Hinterhag, for all sorts of reasons, but we saw Burgi at her bar a couple of times, despite having to huddle under a patio heater going full belt. We visited the schnapps bar/shop in the main street for the first time and enjoyed it, but there's only room for about twelve people. The lady that runs it was delightful and my wife enjoyed her "award winning" G&T.

As ever the mountain huts were consistently good, and we made a first trip to the Kraller Alm in Leogang which is owned by the same people as the twin mountain restaurants, Alte Schmeide and Asitz Braeu. It was of the same high standard, and a lot quieter than the two places up top.

Our day in Fieberbrunn was good, but the only disappointing aspect was the Streuboeden restaurant, which is self service, and a bit chaotic, with a shouty man barking out food orders and young men who "helped" by taking or food to a table with only two seats, despite there being four of us. I also came across some congestion on the lower part of the gondola/cable car here, which is simply due to the design of the system.
latest report
@honved, Last week was possibly the coldest I’ve ever known it. Now it’s very mild.
Many people seem to end up at the Streuboden restaurant at Fieberbrunn, which considering that it’s a fairly big place and self-service seems surprising. I’v only ever used the next restaurant up the mountain, the Wildalpgatterl, and the next one down, the Ferchlstadl, both of which I liked.
Talking about restaurants I’ve just this evening finally got round to dining at the highly rated Tiroler Buam at Vorderglemm, and I can see why people recommend it. Very good menu and cuisine. Worth a trip down the road from Saalbach.
snow report
tatmanstours wrote:
@Posidrive, Surprised you mention ice. Admittedly we haven’t ventured farther than the Kohlmais, Bernkogel and Reiterkogel in the last few days, but we thought the snow conditions were pretty good.

Generally the upper slopes were good but low down there was a lot of the dreaded blue sheen under a light dusting especially going into Saalbach itself. I've never seen as many blood wagons in use and it's the first time I've ever seen helicopters being used more than once during a week. Our hotel in Hinterglemm was full of the walking wounded.
ski holidays
arrived saturday and skied over towards leogang courtesy of the 3pm pass extension. ,yesterday down68 never done it on previous trips due to snow shortage, was almost perfect in lovely weather, empty piste and good snow other than the last soft bit ,we had lunch at the hecherhutte which was good other than the table reservation system which meant everyone was bunched up whilst surrounded by empty tables to which no one arrived . The bus worked spot on it leaves from near the burgerbar at the end of a little track between buildings,it does not pick up at the main bus stop on the main road which caught some folks out although the driver waited until they ran round and also picks up at the bottom of the nursery slope 5mins to lift back up. ended up in the hinterhag, as usual great fun with a happy crowd and evi the eccentric owner you just have to go with the flow
snow conditions
tatmanstours wrote:
@honved, Last week was possibly the coldest I’ve ever known it. Now it’s very mild.
Many people seem to end up at the Streuboden restaurant at Fieberbrunn, which considering that it’s a fairly big place and self-service seems surprising. I’v only ever used the next restaurant up the mountain, the Wildalpgatterl, and the next one down, the Ferchlstadl, both of which I liked.
Talking about restaurants I’ve just this evening finally got round to dining at the highly rated Tiroler Buam at Vorderglemm, and I can see why people recommend it. Very good menu and cuisine. Worth a trip down the road from Saalbach.

Glad you liked the Tiroler Buam; I've been singing its praises since staying there last year.
snow report
yesterday over to fieberbrun for a variation in terrain, spent the morning taking out the runs, returned anticlockwise around hinterglem before final descent down shatberg,great day with north facing and most pistes in fast conditions other than the lower south facing bits which in the afternoon sun is to be expected, my old thighs were burning and I needed or rather had a fair bit of rehydration by the end and from the look of the snow falling out of hotel window this morning a good job we pushed on. will see what today brings later
ski holidays
Glad to hear it's snowing. Despite there being whiteness everywhere, some of it was acquiring a bit of a polish last week, which made some people nervous.
snow report
Looks mild again for our ski trip next week. Hardly any snow since mid February and little in the forecast. Looking like a rerun of last year. Just hope that at least its sunny rather than overcast. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
tuesday, was a day of forecast rain which never came and despite the low cloud we were able to ski over to leogang where the visibility was better and slopes fairly empty ,lunch at forsthofalm on the way to the bottom of astiz was first class in terms of both food quality and comfort if a tad pricy . I wouldnt worry too much about the snow so long as temps keep low as the piste preparation team are first class and will make the best of conditions , at the moment there is plenty in fact a lot more than ive seen same week in previous years (run 68 is open)so long as temps keep low. Had a fun time on the apres as got mixed up with a few belgians , proves there are more than poirot or tin tin. No plan for today will take it as it comes but looks a better day and sun just trying to break through at breakfast

wednesday foggy or skiing through cloud high up so ended up in the wallegam for a longer than usual lunch and manic disco going on in the place with the chap who recorded the johnny depp depp song as the star attraction. Once we left skiing home was a challenge but the snow falling made up for the cloud and from hotel window this morning it is sunny and crisp so of we go where to I know not

thursday and friday both excellent skiing particularly over hinterglem almost as good as it gets on piste in march sunshine. All pistes with full snow cover none we came across had any bare patches just a little soft after lunch. The mountain restaurants here have all been good and the pre dinner apres is epic and not overly priced but beware taxis reckon they are at least twice the price of uk. Today saturday 10th march is our final day skiing and the sun this morning is just starting to try and shine through the high cloud so looks promising.We will be sorry to leave but no doubt will return as its been superb all round.

The sun didnt come out and though the cloud was above the peaks it was a shame that the high humidity made the pistes hard work in places but we manged to ski until 3,30 before leaving the resort as it was just starting to drizzle, ah well its only 50 and abit weeks till next time, hope those still going this season have a good a holiday as us
ski holidays
If anyone wants to be sure of not missing the last lift, especially as we have data roaming now, this is the link to the Saalbach site https://www.saalbach.com/en/winter/ski-resort/operating-hours , could be handy Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy