Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2017/2018

Poster: A snowHead
Heavy rain turning to heavy, wet snow now at 1200m in chatel.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@snoozeboy, so entirely normal for this time of year.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
entirely normal, but quite a bit better than normal, because there's still a load of snow cover.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@snoozeboy, and we had the pleasure of sunshine this morning.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Now snowing again at 1250m
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@WindOfChange, very pleased to hear that. With the depth of snowfall earlier we have decided to sneak in an extra week so arriving Saturday and it looks like classic spring weather. a bit of fresh today will help but freeze overnight, hard first thing and slushy afternoon will do very nicely. Bit of sunshine wouldn't go amiss after a UK Easter!

@snoozeboy, still there next week?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fantastic powder this morning, literally chucked it down with snow. Great fun!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@DJL, 'fraid I leave Sunday.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@snoozeboy, a pint on Saturday evening might be on the cards
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Can you still get over to Switzerland from Avoriaz? The Mossettes lift has been shut all week, and I think the Chavanettes lift on the French side may also be shut.

Going to give it a try tomorrow but thought I’d ask...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The French Mossettes will be out for the rest of the winter after avalanche damage to a pylon, the Choucas chair goes near the top of the Swiss Wall, the drags might be closed which is a pity as they arrive closer to the chair down the Wall!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks @Pamski, I was eyeing up the Choucas lift and wondering how close it was to the chair by the Swiss wall. We’ll give it a go tomorrow Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Handy Turnip, it is really no distance, just turn left and keep quite high but you probably move a lot faster on the snow than my old legs!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Handy Turnip, close enough...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cheers @Pamski, @under a new name.. close enough is good enough for me!
snow conditions
The big question is whether the swiss wall will be open or cordoned off next week. I want to go down it, not up it!
snow conditions
@Handy Turnip, just back from Avoriaz today and you could get up to the Wall no problems. Be careful though and heed local advice because everything was getting very slippy and saw lots of natural slides.

The depth of snow was incredible and we got freshies which is always a bonus.
snow conditions
Just read that the French Mossettes has already been repaired and is running.
Les Gets was great first thing this morning, Melezes, Yeti, Myrtille, etc Arbis ok, and even the Vorosses just now down to La Turche, ok after coffee at La Paika which has its last day tomorrow, so no one is disappointed rocking up there next week.
snow report
I can confirm Mossettes is running fine, went up it earlier today.

Loads of snow cover but very warm now and snow is sticky in the afternoon sun. Compared to previous years though it is amazing.
ski holidays
Great conditions in Fornet today
ski holidays
@WindOfChange, yep, was just logging in to post the same. I was only out this afternoon and it was the best conditions of anywhere, not sticky until the last quarter
snow conditions
Really very pleasant today though it was warm and snow sticky in places. Absolutely loads of snow cover with no brown patches at all above Les Crosets which is a first in my experience at this stage of the season. Coffee at Le Toupin before a run down to Grand Paradis which was a mistake with much poling. Back up Swiss Mosettes and to Abricotine for lunch. Pylon 11 on French Mosettes looked undamaged and unrepaired but the amount of snow shifted around the base suggests the avalanche left snow up to the height of the chairs. Anyone know?

Home to Pre La Joux via the red run cutting out Plaine Dranse which is in good nick (again unusual for this stage of the season) and nice to bump into @Sarah on the way down.

G&Ts being prepared and sun on the balcony!
latest report
@DJL, ah Le Toulon, one of our favourite stopping places. We went to SJD this morning, early, for one last visit there as closing today. Pretty soft going round the circuit but a couple of runs down by the Torchon pomp’s were fine and time for coffee. Then somehow I found myself having a glass of Rose and it wasn’t 11. Soggy ski back to the car then but nothing unpleasant and a sunny afternoon at home.
snow conditions
DJL wrote:
@snoozeboy, a pint on Saturday evening might be on the cards

Sorry fella, jist saw your message.
snow conditions
Tried Avoriaz->Morzine->LesGets today to discover the north side of Les Gets (Mont Chery) was closed. Sad

Enough snow to return to Morzine via the long blue/green Lievre (no poling).

Excellent depth of snow base, even if snow is typically spring like. Great for snowboarders, not so great for skiers inexperienced at turning in non-corduroy.
snow conditions
@crosbie, Mt Chery closed last Monday.
ski holidays
Pamski wrote:
@crosbie, Mt Chery closed last Monday.

Oh well. I guess it's rare for it to have as much snow as it has now.
snow report
We walk up the other side with the dog quite often so can see the Bouquetin slope and there is a huge slide there now, just below the top.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The forecast rain never arrived! We opted for a 5 hour pass on the strength of the forecast - just as well -the legs wouldn't have lasted much longer.

Firm corduroy first thing (09.30 in our case) but soon softening below Plaine Dranse. Everywhere very quiet, some pistes literally to ourselves. As the day went on the soft snow level rose but it never really became a slush-fest.

Bit annoying that there has been so much snow this season. You have to pole uphill from some of the lift arrival points rather than just gliding down onto the piste!
snow conditions
I hope Supermorzine was just closed briefly this morning, because it has oodles of snow and no mud patches.
snow conditions
It’s closed for the rest of the season.
snow conditions
@crosbie, SuperMorzine bubble from Morzine closed on Sunday, so not running this week and neither Zore chairlift or Serrasaix chairlifts. You can ski down as far as Proclou lift.
You are right there are no mud patches to be seen, and going up the Rosta lift in Les Gets there are usually signs of the azaleas poking through at the top of the Yeti by now, but just all white still.
On the Morzine side the Atray lift is not running any more.
latest report
Chatel end of season closing dates (from their website):

PROJECTED DATES FOR WINTER 2017.2018:
Opening of the whole area from 23rd December 2017.

Gradual closure of the ski area:

Sunday 8th April 18 in the evening:
Closure of the Petit Châtel / Barbossine sector as well as the Torgon and the Chapelle d' Abondance resorts.

Sunday 15th April 18 in the evening:
Closure of the Super-Châtel sector as well as the link between Super-Châtel and Linga.

From Monday 16th to Sunday 22nd April:

The Linga and Pre-la-Joux areas will be open as well as the link with Avoriaz.
snow report
To close SuperMorzine is criminal given its current condition. At the moment it is in excellent, 100% white, mid-season condition. I've seen it being kept open with mud galore.

I'm just thankful I started my week with a run down Tetras and Zore.

Given this is Avoriaz's penultimate week, I wonder what will remain open next week!
ski holidays
@crosbie, They decide on the closing times at the start of the season and it is based around when Easter falls and as such plan their staffing needs and operating budgets accordingly. They may extend on a limited basis.

I am told resorts and hotels prefer an earlier Easter which allows them to end operations sooner and reduce the number of low-season weekdays between Feb holidays and the Easter holidays. Next year Easter is later in April and we may be skiing in snow or mud at the end of April.
snow report
Ozboy wrote:
@crosbie, They decide on the closing times at the start of the season and it is based around when Easter falls and as such plan their staffing needs and operating budgets accordingly. They may extend on a limited basis.

I am told resorts and hotels prefer an earlier Easter which allows them to end operations sooner and reduce the number of low-season weekdays between Feb holidays and the Easter holidays. Next year Easter is later in April and we may be skiing in snow or mud at the end of April.

Yup, I'm aware that they schedule closures, but it's still criminal to close SuperMorzine given its fine condition (and Avoriaz remains otherwise unclosed until the 21st April).
snow conditions
An excellent day in Les Crosets & Avoriaz yesterday. It was a bit cooler so no sticky snow, great coverage and it was only soft on the very lowest slopes by Ardent and one or two other small patches, but even then not at all bad.

Grand Conche and related runs are now closed, looks like a big avalanche covering the upper part of the track, and only the black is open down from Swiss Mossettes to Les Crosets, I suppose due to avalanche risk rather than coverage as that was fine in the morning. You can download from the Mossettes lift if you don’t fancy the black.

The slopes are very quiet, especially in Crosets, and I’d say 90% of the voices heard in Avoriaz were British.
ski holidays
Bit of a pea-souper in Avoriaz village at the mo. Crying or Very sad

Is it sunny on the peaks?

Do such pea-soupers last all day? Puzzled
ski holidays
http://en.portesdusoleil.com/webcams.html looks like it foggy all the way up to the top
latest report
Definitely low cloud coverage in Les Gets, just about an hour trying to avoid the clouds first thing and very pleasant, and after a coffee break which seemed not just us, home by 11, and the fire on as it feels chilly.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy