Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Very early season flights booked to Munich, any tips?

Poster: A snowHead
1-5th december with a group of 6 mostly beginners/early intermediates. We will hire a car/van and aren't looking at booking accom until a few days out according to conditions but does anyone have any tips on where to start early research? I know the glacier resorts should be open by then but are any better or worse for beginners? What other stations typically open in early December?

Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try the BA.com website and specifically search for "flight and car hire" combo. Sometimes there are superb savings on these two put together, it just depends if flying from Heathrow is okay for you.

Alternatively if you have some Avios miles try the Avios website as well.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@leggyblonde, Hintertux has several runs suitable for beginners/early intermediates.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@leggyblonde, Ischgl is open from 23.11.17, St. Anton opens 1.12.17. Can be good, can be a case of going for walks. I would wait until last minute to decide and head for Hintertux if conditions are not good
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There *should* be a bunch of options by then, but will depend on the snow of course.

As well as the usual glaciers (Stubai, Hintertux, Sölden), Obergurgl will be open and is good for beginners. Ischgl should be open too, and I think Schladming(? - possibly only a few runs?).

The small resorts around Innsbruck normally open around the 7th, but this can move forwards or backwards depending on snow (you could mix and match skiing these with Stubai if you fancied a change).

Some of my thoughts: http://www.fall-line.co.uk/5-best-early-season-non-glacier-ski-resorts-alps/
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The glacier on Kitzsteinhorn should be open, but stay in Zell am See rather than Kaprun, as nothing will be open in the village in Kaprun. If you get lucky and the snow arrives, then go to Saalbach-Hinterglemm. Wherever you choose (clarky999 has some good suggestions in the post above) make sure exactly what will be open. Some resorts may only open for the weekend and there will probably only be a limited number of pistes open. Ski rentals should be possible, but ski schools might not be open. Accommodation won't be a problem; you can call the local Tourist Offices and ask for recommendations or look on the websites. e.g. for Saalbach, the website is www.saalbach.com
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have absolutely no experience of Austria in winter at all, but glacier skiing in France on those dates can be a little, errr, limited.

Well done for keeping the faith...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name, even by December? Glaciers here are generally at or approaching being fully open by that point.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@clarky999, French glaciers will be fully open but a lot of the available area will be reserved for race training.

My memory of Hintertux is that it would be difficult for a beginner to get to and back from the easiest runs.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Skied Sölden in November/December before, which was fully open and thriving. Our work season opener is there every November too.
Heaving though, since there's an Italian public holiday in Early December, and they all book to go there for just the weekend (not sure which date - would have to check).
On the whole, not bad for beginners/intermediates.

Also skied Lech in December. Pricy, but again all beginner/intermediate friendly and plenty of snow. Think that was a week skiing, then a week back home before christmas week, so not the earliest week in December. edit: that was my 3rd week on skis, and was told I was not experienced enough for carving skis, so was put on 195cm Elans. How times have changed. Either way, the terrain must have been beginner friendly.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 1-08-17 15:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@clarky999, last time I did an early glacier weekend (in a season that turned out generally good for snow) we started off glacier only and more or less not the proper race slopes.

In some ways not ideal for beginners, other than the gradient.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If the snow arrives by then, Obertauern is good for beginners and early ints. Not many flat sections either, so good for boards.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Assuming it snows I would choose Obergurgl for the group you describe. The skiing is dead easy and it's a nice place.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@leggyblonde, Comparing Hintertux and Stubai glaciers - I would say Stubai is better for beginners and beginning intermediates. There is more easily accessible easier terrain there than Hintertux.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

The glacier on Kitzsteinhorn should be open, but stay in Zell am See rather than Kaprun, as nothing will be open in the village in Kaprun. If you get lucky and the snow arrives, then go to Saalbach-Hinterglemm.

We had a couple of guests last season who did some inspired lateral thinking - booked the last week of November here in Saalbach at cheap non-ski season rates (the season officially began on 2nd December), and drove half an hour to the Kitzsteinhorn glacier every day. Apparently the conditions were superb.
snow report
rjs wrote:
My memory of Hintertux is that it would be difficult for a beginner to get to and back from the easiest runs.

You take the gondola to the very top and the ski school arrange transport via piste basher to the nursery area. It can be really bleak if the weather clags in and there's no restaurant. Having been in a group at Hintertux when there were a few beginners, I can honestly say I can't recommend it. If it has to be a glacier then Stubai or Kitzsteinhorn much better. Although a long way from Munich, Obergurgl would be my choice.
ski holidays
Thanks for the responses! At the end of the day if there is some white stuff to slide on a and place that sells beer we should be happy enough but it's nice to filter through some ideas, especially with places to avoid.
snow conditions
Might be worth checking european holiday situation as andy mentions above - remember finding Kitzsteinhorn very busy around that time - I have a feeling that some countries may have, name forgotten, an advent holiday. A larger resort might be better to avoid queues and very busy pistes as the usable glacier area at Kitzsteinhorn can be quite restricted without adequate snow. Also seem to recall a christkindl, if that is how it is spelt, market between the two terminals at Munich airport - great fun - ice rink and bars and eateries a lot cheaper than the airport itself.
ski holidays
It's a great time of year to get away for a bit of a break but for the beginners availability of suitable lessons will be crucial. Can't imagine anything more discouraging for a beginner than high glacial skiing with poor weather and T bars.
ski holidays
Look at Lermoos- Zugspitz Arena. it's about 1.5 hours from Munich and if there is snow on the ground at the near resorts, Berwang, Erwald and Lermoos then you won't need to go up to the Zugsptz although you should! Germany's highest mountain I do believe.
ski holidays
@countryman, Friday Dec. 8th is Immaculate Conception Day - a Public Holiday in Austria.

Kitzsteinhorn gets busy at the beginning of December as the race teams are often training there, but more importantly groups of new instructors are completing their training courses before the new season.
snow report
Quote:

1-5th december with a group of 6 mostly beginners/early intermediates. We will hire a car/van and aren't looking at booking accom until a few days out according to conditions but does anyone have any tips on where to start early research? I know the glacier resorts should be open by then but are any better or worse for beginners? What other stations typically open in early December?

This sounds strangely familiar..... Cool
snow report
Well I know that all the recent snow at low levels will melt but the glaciers have had a decent top up which I'm excited about! Excited enough to book the hire van.
latest report
Wait until the last minute and book accommodation via the tourist office websites. There will be lots of availability.
Have a look at Pitztal which would be better for beginners than Hintertux.
If Schladming is open (usually the top half above middle station) then that would be perfect. Easy access from Munich and something for everyone.
snow conditions
I would also suggest looking at 2 smaller cars than 1 vehicle suitable for 6 people. They tend to be very, very expensive and 2 cars will be much cheaper and probably provide you with more luggage space.
snow report
Another vote for Obergurgl, the only downsides are the long ish transfer time and the lack of banging apres (if that's your thing)
ski holidays
How is Mayrhofen and Kitz around that time?
ski holidays
Quote:

How is Mayrhofen and Kitz around that time?

Like most Austrian resorts, they will be great if the snow arrives early (as it sometimes has), but not so great if it arrives late. Saying the obvious I know. However, if the natural snow arrives late, efficient snow-making systems come into their own during December, and resorts that have relatively easy access to a glacier are also a sensible choice. Mayrhofen has Hintertux, Saalbach (as per my post above) has the Kitzsteinhorn; not sure what Kitz can offer in the event of a snow drought. One of the common arguments against resorting to glaciers when conditions are bad in lower resorts is that you have to contend with too many people doing the same thing; however that shouldn't apply in early December, when few people are taking ski holidays. Snow gamblers should be encouraged by the fact that piste conditions during the "pre-season" are often fabulous, with cold temperatures, enough terrain open to keep the average skiers busy for a week, and perfectly-groomed pistes with very few people to spoil them.
In the last three seasons, the late autumn air temperatures have been seasonably normal, or at least cold enough to permit plenty of snow-making. The problem has been that the weather has been too fine and sunny for too long. However, last year in particular, the early piste skiing during December was superb - mostly man-made snow but all links, at least 150km of piste, and virtually all lifts open in Saalbach. I assume that others found the same in other medium-altitude Austrian resorts, like Mayrhofen and Kitz.
No doubt it pays to wait and see, as there should be plenty of accommodation available in the early season.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looking like short of a catastrophic warming, there should be plenty of options. Just over two weeks to go! Very Happy snowHead

Starting to tentatively look at Schladming, Zell/Kaprun and Saalbach
snow report
@leggyblonde, Saalbach has just announced that it's opening some of its lifts this coming weekend, two weeks ahead of the official season opening. A repeat of last year. Hopefully this time around we won't get weeks of unremitting blue skies throughout December, although, even if that happens, what has already fallen, coupled with the snow-making, should make for decent early season conditions..
snow report
Ski Circus is currently leading. Lots of blues for the newbies. Warm currently but cold and snow coming.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy