Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend me a POW snowboard pls

Poster: A snowHead
So with a trip to Japan almost booked, I thought it be a good idea to invest in a pow specific board as I struggled with my cambered endeavor next board in the deep stuff. The nose kept coming down so I still had to lean back quite a bit even with the 20mm setback. It was great at going fast and flatlining but it tired me out too much. I've been looking around now in the online sales but there's so many to chose from and so many that need the marketing bumpf filtered out that I keep going round in circles. I've looked at the following;

Burton Branch Manager/ Landlord/ Skeleton Key
Jones Hovercraft
Rome Powder Division MT and PT
Capita Spring Break Tree Hunter
Jones Mind Expander

I think the last 2 would be wasted on me as I'm no expert but saying that I don't want an entry level one. The Skeleton sounds like its what I need but I read on other forums that many bought one and swiftly put them up for sale. Burton marketing at its finest? I'm just out of the weight guide hence why I'm still looking. My stats 6 feet tall, 87kgs, 9UK boots. Intermediate / Advanced ability level in pow. Any advice appreciated though riding all these snowboards first is probably not an option.

Ciao for now
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Jones hovercraft is a solid choice great in powder and on piste. The Rome mt is actually very similar just without the mellow mag and it's a touch heavier. The Nitro tree hugger is worth a look as is the K2 coolbean.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My experience is powder-only; I don't ride powder boards at resorts.

Of those you list, I have ridden many powder days on all of:

Burton Branch Manager / Landlord
The SkipJack surf has a fairly square tail and feels like it. I used that for no-boarding too; unless you want to go that way the others make more sense.

The Landlord is not that far off the old Malolo... a big mountain powder board which rips everything from alpine through trees. It owes a lot to the old Malolo design, which was also very sound.

The Branch Manager has such a sexy shape and it's Japanese influenced... and I really wanted to like that the most, but for me personally the Landlord is my favourite of this lot.

This shows a combination of the Landlord, Branch Manager, and SkipJack surf: https://vimeo.com/ 199528364 ridden in powder last season.

Also consider the Fish (various flavours). These have a very broad usage, from absolute experts to being a "day saver" for people finding powder a challenge. The down side is a lack of "slash" compared to designs like the Landlord.

I would try them all, in the right sizes. I would not go for the hysterically small boards Burton make (eg the Nug, Con Artist) - even when ridden at the correct size I found those sluggish in deep snow. They're not really powder boards in my view. I'd avoid fashionable "surf" designs unless you've tried them.

Capita Spring Break Tree Hunter
I rode that for a couple of weeks last year. They have a range of boards with different shapes depending on the length. The right size for me was this one, as it happens, but I'd say that much of the fancy shaping is just for fun and doesn't affect the ride. I did break this board eventually, and it wasn't the first breakage my supplier had had. I would expect Capita's returns policy to be as good as Burton's, but that wasn't my problem and you may want to be careful if you're buying in the UK. In my view if a board breaks then it's not fit for purpose - use a Credit Card and then if your retailer is bad they have the problem not you. Anyway, the board rode really well, and felt the way it looks. That is... they're a bit plank like. Compare this with the svelte Branch Manager. If feels like you're riding a platform. For me a powder board needs a little more subtlety in the tail, because that's how I control speed around those trees. A good board, but not my 1st choice. I don't think this is any more "an expert" board than any of the others: it's not any harder to ride or more responsive.

I have not ridden...
Skeleton Key
Looking at what TWS said about it: "It’s an amazing carving and freeride directional board". That may or may not be so (I've been on magazine board tests - they're just advertorial), but it hardly sounds like a powder board. Perhaps that's why I've not really come across it. I don't much like the look of the shape, but you can't tell if you've not ridden them. I would look at where it is in Burton's powder board line-up and work out if it's a board for park rats who occasionally get snow over their boot laces or if it's something more. Lots of powder boards do get sold second hand, for whatever reason, and I'd not read too much into that, they probably rode them at Milton Keynes. I really did see someone riding a Fish there once. Well, they were trying to ride it.

Weight
I'd pick any board at the correct size over any other board at the wrong size. Size is more important to me than board design. If you can't test... you're unlikely to get the best by chance. Your best shot would be to find a board model from a range, because that allows you to choose between graded alternatives. Then pick a board which you're absolutely in the middle of the weight range for.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Gainz, Really?

When snowboards were invented the cool kids (on snowboards) were all about "oooh oooh how much easier it is in powder than those skinny skis - ooh ooh look how cool we are gnarly dudes".

You don't get to suggest that they're not easy.

Tools, workmen, etc.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks guys.

I've narrowed it down to;

Landlord at 163 (a bit longer than what I like)
Modified Fish at 161 (on sale now)
Rome MT at 157

I'm right bang in the middle of the recommended weight guides.

@philwig, How is the Modified Fish? I'll assume compared to the Landlord its not as aggressive?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There are many Fish - they tweak the designs every year. There were one or two years when they produced some achingly fashionable wavy-bottomed boards which were just s***e, most of them are fine though, and my heli/cat operator buddies do use them as "day saver" boards plus they're standard for their pro photographers.

The Modified Fish I have not ridden one .... this below is a magazine review from someone who found the Landlord "unforgiving", but liked the Modified Fish. I'd say that may be what you're after. The Jones' boards (which look promising too) owe a lot to the Fish design.

https://whitelines.com/snowboard-gear/reviews/snowboards/burton-modified-fish-2016-2017.html

A 163 Landlord is too big for me (aggressive 62Kgs). The tail stiffness kicks me out on the turns. Haven't ridden the Rome. I'm sure there are others here with powder boards..
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Personally I found the FA to be more enjoyable than the landlord (I thought it felt a bit dead), the SK was a tad stiffer than the FA and was still pretty entertaining.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hey gainz. I'm 5'11 and 85kgs. Im ok on a snowboard. I'm off to Japan this January for 3 weeks. (Are you me? Or vice Versa). I too was looking for a Pow board and ended up buying a 160 Hovercraft in the sales from the snowboard asylum. Haven't had a chance to ride it yet but it looks and feels like a well built board with a good looking shape. All the reviews I could find were very positive (mind you, try and find a negative review anywhere!!!). Sorry, no real help I know but it's where I ended up in a similar scenario.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just to through another one in the mix, look at the Amplid Morning Glory.

It's a bit bigger for a pow-specific shape so might suit you well. I ride the split version and I'm very happy with it.

https://www.amplid.com/us/snowboards/292/morning-glory-163
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
www.koruashapes.com
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rogg, yes I am you (only younger and better looking!)

I found these guys rhythm they seem to have hundreds of snowboards to try out before you buy which would make the most sense. ATM I'm veering towards the modified fish but I'm trying not to base my decision on price (sales on now). I would have thought that snowboard prices in Niseko would remain high right through the winter season. Any thoughts?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Japan: ask Mike Pow.

In BC, most of the power stock sells out pretty fast, because they mostly don't stock that much powder gear (yeah, even there). I was trying to buy a SkipJack surf in January in Whistler from the resort-owned stores there, and nothing was available other than (almost unused) rentals.

Flight Attendant: decent boards, worth a look too. If you're going off that list then I've also ridden most of the Lib Tech powder stuff, which is worth a look if you like them. I mostly don't; I suspect they're for people with a less "race oriented" approach. Or the Capita Charlie Slashers are all very ridable.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@philwig, you seen the Lib Tech Mayhem Short Fat it's a cracking little deck, other than that buy a Dupraz they rock.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rang Burton yesterday to ask more about the branch manager and modified fish. The sales girl just read off the website - nubs!
The only board that is right for my weight is the MF at the moment so I might wait for a couple of weeks and check out Burtons new website. Neither board is coming back for next season so they may have something in between them (or the landlord and BM) which I think is what I'm looking for.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
wink Haven't come across the Mayhem but I'd certainly give it a try. That said They only do one size and I'm below the minimum weight, and every really small board I've tried has felt too small. I'd probably try their Rocket or Fish first. Dupraz: never ridden them, although to me they are pitched at the opposite end from that Mayhem Short Fat
ski holidays
I ride a dupraz 178 so going to the mayhem 146 is interesting, i just tend not to look down to start with Laughing but it floats really well and is so small it just whips around. and unlike most libs it doesn't have magnatraction.
latest report
wink I tried the small Burtons, but I didn't like them; actually no one else seemed to much . But the Lib Tech looks wider which may make that difference. No MT? Oh, now I'm significantly more interested wink
ski holidays
I've got a YES 420 Powderhull which is awesome. It is a pure powder board with a pretty extreme shape and it floats like crazy in the powder. Not so good on piste so I only ride it on the fluffy stuff.
latest report
I bought a new 2015 Barracuda for powder days. It rips up powder meadows, but won't kill you when you get back on a piste. As I am mostly lift served, rather than back country, that suits me fine.

For Japan though, I think you want something wider and softer. Like Phil, I love the shape of the Branch Manager. It just looks right... and most things that look right are right (or mostly right), but I'd like to try it before buying one.

I'm hoping to get a chance to try one at the season opener in VdI, as there is a free demo weekend for skis and boards.
snow report
@bar shaker, Branch Manager is off to snowboard heaven. I also love the shape but sadly its been discontinued. I'm waiting for a burton list so I'll post it up when I get it.
latest report
On the topic of pow boards has anyone tried the Burton Gatekeeper? I have seen a good deal for one which I am considering realising.
snow report
For Japan? There's only one choice wink

Spotted in the Asahidake tram. When asked how it turned in the trees he just laughed Laughing
snow conditions
They're up on Burton website

Seen the gate keeper to but its leaning to freeride rather than just deep pow.
snow conditions
Looks like no more Landlord neither.

@philwig, did you ride the panhandler or dumptruck at all?
ski holidays
Nope, don't much like the look of the Dump Truck - kind of like the Spring Break Capita board, only uglier. The Panhandler looks kind of like a flat fish (!), I'd need the 152... could be Con Artist territory.

The Mystery Malolo looks great though, albeit at a cost if you're paying retail.
latest report
Anyone come across a GNU Mullair? I get the impression it rides similar to the Landlord but more forgiving though it does add 'freestyle' in the write-ups.
ski holidays
The Mullair is a beautiful looking board, but it's definitely not a powder stick. I almost bought one last year, but to use as a versatile all-rounder.
snow report
Whats for certain is with burton selling Malolos at £1200 the market has spiked and seen the gapper powder herd coming .

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 11-09-17 18:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nostalgia^ Those that rode the OG Malolo that now have monies to burn at 40+yrs.
And near 600 notes for a Custom X ? GTFOH..
ski holidays
My go to board for powder for the last few years has been a 166cm Arbor Watchtower. Love it. Rode it in 1.2m of fresh snow today, totally undergunned (but still fun). Thinking about a Hovercraft. I had a look at a Mind Expander in a local shop here a few weeks ago, interesting looking board, but they only make them for midgets. Saw a guy riding one today, and it looked like a lot of fun.
snow report
Same topic being discussed here if it helps:

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/239186-burton-board-japow-bm-ll-other.html
snow report
Ah man, none the wiser or getting close to choosing atm. I've come across a Landlord for cheap but its a 159 and the specs say 66-84 kg whereas the 163 is 75-93 kg. I'm 87kgs approx. The Branch Manager is also 159 and same weight range. How would my excess weight affect these boards? I'm guessing I'd loose some float which is *not* what I'm looking for. The new season stuff isn't really doing it for me as the shapes are just too weird. The only real way to choose is to demo so I'm emailing rhythm to see what they say.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 19-08-17 17:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Tricky. With the Malolo I rode "one size too big" (the 163 instead of the 159) for a couple of weeks and it just bugged me. I thought I didn't like the board, until my lazy brain worked out that I'd just got the wrong size. The Landlords I was riding were the 159, at 62kgs sans gear (I'm an aggressive hard booter so factor that in).

The Landlord is reviewed as being an "advanced" ride, in which case you'd probably be better going slightly small rather than slightly large. I'm trying to think how "too small" feels... "not as good as the right size" wink perhaps, but that's not helpful. I rode the Nug and the Con artist and I thought they were too small... slow to accelerate, slower to respond, perhaps a tad harder/ slower to turn because you're more down in it..?

---
It looks like fancy shapes are the fashion - Capita were on it last year, and now Burton have gone that way. I doubt it'll last. On the plus side the Capita Spring Break board had fancy shape stuff going on and it didn't really affect the ride. That said, some years Burton lets the kids go crazy with the designs and they're not always useful (there are some Fish year models which are horrible - the ones from when the reverse camber fashion was at a peak). Personally I don't really believe in innovation in shapes (there has been very little over the years which has lasted), so I like boards which look like they're actually designed for the purpose they're used for.
snow conditions
Personally i'd say you're overthinking it all the boards are designed for powder and all will ride differently, i've got a few different pow decks some are better for charging wide open powder fields some are great in trees and some will do a bit of everything. All of the boards in the OP will work but what one person likes may not suit another without being able to demo you've just gotta pick one. I'm off to Japan myself and i'll be taking 3 boards ranging from 146 - 178, i love the 178 but it's not for everyone.
snow report
@francium., but this is half the fun, innit? oh and 178 are you mad?

forgot to add the *not* in my previous post so it makes more sense now. I know its difficult but I've owned over 20 boards since I started and don't want to buy the wrong one now (thinking of emigrating in a couple of years) Back in the day I could buy a board use it for a week or 2 then sell and brake even (when factoring in hire etc). I even made a profit a few times. Carriage was always free until they clamped down on that so I've stayed with the same 2 boards (Jackpot & Next) for the last few years. Wanna get this one right.
snow report
There are lots of ways to while away the summer... Point taken to the extent that you can't hope to compute a correct answer. And sometimes the unexpected works... years ago I talked to a ski shop guy who reckoned he knew Jake Burton, and that he rode a Joystick in powder. That wasn't really a powder board, and I didn't think much of wasting a day on one, and I've seen video of JB and he waves his arms about. Eventually curiosity got the better of me and I took one out... and I didn't ride anything else in powder for a couple of years.

--------
With powder boards I reckon that second hand may work pretty well - my first Fish came to me that way. A lot of people buy them and then find they don't use them, I guess.

---------
Years ago I'd carry three boards, but these days I stick to two and deal with the compromises. I think modern boards have a broader range. In powder I generally ride standard length (156-162) boards sized for my weight, but on those once-a-month huge days with high avalanche risk I would pick something bigger, although usually those perform like planks as they're intended for bigger people. But on those days you're likely not turning that much.
latest report
After much consideration, I finally pulled the trigger on a Branch Manager @ 159. I weighed myself again and was 85kgs fully clothed (diet and gym obviously working!) so it might just work. Question now is should I get EST bindings or use my 2015 reflex Cartels?
snow conditions
Picked up my shiny new branch manager the other day and while the nose is bigger than any other snowboard I've ridden I think it seems a tad small. I hope I haven't made a booboo here but I guess I'll know when out there. I think if it were a 162 it would be perfect...hmmm...
snow conditions
I have been using Jones boards for 6 years but I have just purchased a board from Korua Shapes, its well worth going to their site to look at powder dedicated boards, will let you know how mine goes at the end of season, looks wicked in white though.....http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/roSdePY4rKQ

Here is another one to look at @Gainz, I have one and it is good in the steeper deeper stuff, carries speed well. Don't be fooled by the length, rides like a much shorter board!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy