Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 17/18 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Should say that I apologize for lack of postings recently, but some family illness issues mean that I am preoccupied elsewhere.

Hope that those of you who are ripping up the late season conditions are enjoying themselves (@BobinCH, being an obvious example!).

Be good to each other and ski hard.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@nozawaonsen, so sorry. Hope the issues are positively resolved. All good wishes. Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looking like a long run of warm days and nights ahead in the 3V. Good luck @nozawaonsen.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lots more rain coming to >2000m in the European Alps over the next week or so.

The 2017 / 2018 season will almost certainly go down as the rainiest in modern history (especially below 1500m).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
^^^^^^^There he is. Laughing

Rain below 2000m in April. Oh Nooooooooo.

Its the end of days, run for the hills.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Whitegold, I’m not seeing too much rain, maybe on Monday, but you are correct, we have had a lot of rain to high levels, but also an incredible amount amount of snow, even in low level resorts. I haven’t skied this much powder in years. How’s it been over there?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@nozawaonsen,

Thanks for all your inputs this year and hope that things work out well with the family illness issues.

Enjoy the summer and roll on the 18/19 thread.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hurtle wrote:
@nozawaonsen, so sorry. Hope the issues are positively resolved. All good wishes. Smile

Hear, hear!

Glorious today and oh boy this weekend should be good 😉
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@BobinCH, that’s a cracking picture! I’m amazed how much winter snow is still here from La Tania.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@kitenski, thanks! It was short but particularly sweet! Some red jackets from La Thuile followed me down in fine Italian style...

http://youtube.com/v/PXl-9aTuclc

No respect for the tracks 😜

http://youtube.com/v/NExm1vUCbH8
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whitegold wrote:
Lots more rain coming to >2000m in the European Alps over the next week or so.

The 2017 / 2018 season will almost certainly go down as the rainiest in modern history (especially below 1500m).

Will it aye? It was so ‘rainy’ that the resident alpine doom and gloom troll (you) disappeared from this thread for a almost a couple of months.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That looks superb Bob what approximate height is that and how come it wasn't tracked previously?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@8611, it’s lookers right of Mont Fort, approx 3200m. Requires a short bootpack. Resort is empty at the moment so anything that requires some effort/imagination is ripe for the taking!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Still good today! T-shirt weather. Tomorrow looks even better

http://youtube.com/v/htaW7kmJeXE
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For the last few days the GFS has been playing with the possibility of a brief cold snap in the Alps during the last few days of April.
ski holidays
This is the ensembles for the Engelberg area:

ski holidays
@nozawaonsen, best wishes, we are thinking of you.
latest report
@nozawaonsen, my 17/18 season is over, but your posts have been part my winter morning routine and long may they continue! (But please don’t feel obliged).
snow report
+1
snow conditions
The daffodils are out and the birds are singing. Warm today in the highlands but cooling off next week.

An astonishing 27C in London today Cool 15C warmer than the highlands.
snow conditions
After 2 weeks of Spring, winter’s coming back with a vengeance! Big dump and colder temps forecast for the weekend

ski holidays
Meteo France put together an interesting graph showing the hottest and coldest months (on average) since 1900 and then plotting them by decade

There seems to have been a tipping point around 1975/80 with the last decade having over 30 of the hottest months on record.
ski holidays
@BobinCH, I think "with a vengeance" might be a bit much - we're still looking at above average temperatures for the time of year over the weekend! Cooler than of late but that's not saying much - I was in the alps last July and it was cooler than the past week! Freezing levels around 2500-3000m over the weekend. Very unsettled end of April and start of May. Looks like around average temperatures from the start of May but with a lot of uncertainty.

I had been hoping for a last minute ski touring trip this weekend but will probably give it a miss as it looks very unsettled but too warm for powder.
ski holidays
@musehead, expecting snow above 2000m but it does look unsettled for the weekend. Hoping for a last hurrah on the steep north facing slopes. Power of positive thinking!
ski holidays
@musehead, did see that yesterday and twas enough for me to even re-examine the forecasts as I thought I had missed something!

And at the weekend did say when we were having an end of season paella on our patio with temps in the mid 20's that this was as warm as some periods in the summer and no threat od thunderstorms!

Just looks to be very fickle and unsettled unfortunately, though this time of year quite a difference in temps in this part of the world and up North Toofy Grin

That said was skiing fresh snow/powder May 3rd on N facing slopes above 2,100 after a similar forecast. Just have to take one day at a time and adapt.

Yesterday good spring snow above 2,100 then clouds rolled in and light rain, but not the thunderstorms forecast, but enough cloud overnight to prevent a good re-freeze me thinks, but nice and sunny today from the looks of things, so bike ride today and then ski tour tomorrow hopefully.
snow report
Western alps cooling down and getting very unsettled towards the end of the season. meanwhile Scotland is cool this week and then very slowly warming up for their end of season party snowHead
snow conditions
See majority of all that cold precipitation has now disappeared - though still too early to be sure, but does look wet further North whilst down South that too is now not too bad with it coming Friday night now.
snow report
New snow falling today at Glencoe. Setting up nicely for the weekend. .......unfortunately I’m out in Chamonix where it looks rather more unsettled Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Down in this part of the world might hopefully eek out another spring / summer day tomorrow before all change on the weather front.

This week been alternating daily between ski touring and out on the road bike, and tomorrow planning a 06:30 departure as we have a good hours hike up a valley and I'm not 100% sure re the snow pack we're aiming for, though will be difficult to make a call on the weather as when we get up will not really be able to tell!

Five to six days ago I recall we had rain forecast for today and tomorrow, and heavier rain for Saturday, which is now light rain drizzle.

But Sunday is the interesting day and we could well see snow above 2,000m and with the weather clearing Monday morning could well be skinning up a North facing slope up from the Lautaret similar to last season.

Fingers crossed both for tomorrow and Monday, hopefully spring snow tomorrow and powder / fresh snow Monday.

Also looking at a selection of resorts elsewhere (Western Alpes) similar scenario
snow report
Val d'Isere (1850m) snow depths

winter 2017/2018 total snow fall in theSavoie :
5m87 at Bonneval sur arc, village (4m97 in 95)
8m35 at Val d'isère Joseray (8m33 in 2013)
7m01 at La Norma

8m47 at Tignes (9m59 in 95)
8m36 at les Arcs (8m72 in 95)

Being close to the Italian border to take advantage of Italian weather systems is clearly an advantage.

Round our way (Grenoble mountain ranges) the very hot April has reduced the snow cover significantly so we are quite a way below the situation in 2013.
snow report
After the unusually hot April, and a brief interlude of average temperatures the last few days, it's looking warmer than average in the alps into mid-May.

snow conditions
Oh well. Until next season chaps. Adieu. Crying or Very sad
snow report
The old summer rain forecast:

"Ash before the Oak and we are in for a soak, Oak before the Ask, in for a splash."

Locally I'm calling it a narrow win for the Oak coming into leaf first, which probably means we are in for a summer of mizzle....
latest report
Daffodills still out here and a rather modest 16c.

Not bad for early May but not exactly the heatwave that SE England Is getting Laughing
latest report
@Peter S, @Peter S, not just the SE. Durham has been scorching too.
snow report
Check out the forecasts for this Sunday in the Alps - could well be skiing powder Monday morning if it happens, FL's down to 1,400m
snow report
Up on the Skye ridge today (Sgurr nam Gillian) and there was some new snow overnight. Also a few graupel showers during the day. Lots of big snow patches right across the Scottish highlands this spring and some snow patches still below 600m. Eventually things should warm up, even up here Cool
latest report
@nozawaonsen, Just noticed your last post. Best wishes and hope to see you back on 21st June with the 18/19 thread.

PS I think this is the lowest number of pages for this topic for a few years. Here's hoping next seasons thread is the same! snowHead
ski holidays
Bummed to be missing out on the best May for years. The steep skiing in Chamonix is going off. Even a few Spring skiing tracks off G3000

latest report
Although probably best to stick to the North facing slopes! Another great storm coming in on Monday bringing snow down to 1000m and 30cm forecast on Cham Météo...

latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy