Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Next Season is going to be lot more Expensive!

Poster: A snowHead
My Estimation the longer Brexit uncertainty & economic damage continues WinterSport Holidays will become far more expensive for UK Citizens.

This season maybe +30%

following season +50%

The US will be exponential in cost !

Of course this can be reversed if Article 50 is not invoked,

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/news/ski-holidays-will-cost-more-if-we-vote-brexit/

Ski Industry BS

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/news/remain-calm-the-ski-industry-responds-to-brexit/

Relality

https://www.thechaletcompany.com/blog/what-would-a-brexit-mean-for-a-ski-holiday-in-europe/

http://www.silverswanrecruitment.com/blog/2016/brexit-will-ruin-our-ski-industry

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 11-07-16 13:13; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@stanton, im not sure this is true.

Looking at package hols this season i can barely see much difference over last years prices, perhaps 5%.

Biggest cost increase ive seen so far is lift pass and thats purely because of exchange rate.

To give a rough clue, ive booked my acom for 2 weeks post brexit and its cost me about £90 total more, lift passes will just be the change in exchange rate, as will transfers.

I really dont recognise where you get 30 and 50% from.....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@PaulC1984, You have to factor in everything & not everyone goes on Ski holidays at the lowest bucket cost rate !
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@stanton, factor in what else exactly?

1) My accom is HB, so that's food covered (I don't eat much on the mountain)
2) flights and transfer I've covered above
3) lift passes I've covered above
4) ski hire wont rise 30-50%!!

What else is there

I by no means holiday on a shoe string, but what I and most people (with any brains) will do is either a) shop around and drive down TO's price or b) sort it out myself without a TO.

If you can show me where these 30-50% rises are, ill gladly concede.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@PaulC1984, who knows between now And next season.. Surcharges can be added anytime , who knows where £ to € will be at in a few months.

You have obviously shopped around & got a great deal but not everyone has that luxury to do so..
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stanton wrote:
@PaulC1984,
You have obviously shopped around & got a great deal but not everyone has that luxury to do so..

And this is my point.

Why don't we all have the ability to shop around - For those who want to go off package, the internet makes the world a small place, and bargains can be had. For those who decide to go with a TO, get several prices and drive each one down. Its very simple. They all price promise - Its not a Luxury its simple common sense.

I don't wish to sound harsh, but the scare mongering on both sides of Brexit has been ridiculous, and this type of panic over prices adds to it.

It is absolutely ok to say we've no idea what will happen to prices, we can't control that, but what we can do is be savvy and shop around to limit any pain (f there is any)

The same has gone for mortgage rates. Lots of people panicking about rises, when in fact they will fall. Lenders are now timing people into 2 year fixed rate deals for as low as 1.29%!!!!! If they thought interest rates would rise, they wouldn't be doing this. Id imagine they are doing it so that they can gain from the 4% variable rate they hit you with after 2 years.

A good benchmark will be when Admin releases the prices for this years bashes to compare to last years. Granted groups have buying power, but you can't control the exchange rate
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wait for Italian banks to fall apart, the Euro will be 1.5 to the £.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It will make Greece look like a child's game.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We spend 2 months in the Alps in our motorhome. Although most costs will go up a little we can easily offset that by buying an early season pass rather than paying for daily passes on an ad hoc basis (45 days for me, 25 for my wife). Ok, so we loose some flexibility, but if money is the most important thing then we can adapt accordingly.

Kev
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stanton wrote:
@PaulC1984, who knows between now And next season.. Surcharges can be added anytime , who knows where £ to € will be at in a few months.

Exactly. Who jknows?

Which makes your "Reality" post above a complete nonsense. By "reality", you actually mean "another guess".

Quote:

I know of nobody who doesn't. Why would anybody not have that "luxury"?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I know of nobody who doesn't. Why would anybody not have that "luxury"?

Primarily because it's Stantons mother who books and pays for the holiday's he just has to pack his dummy and onesie.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So will this make Italy cheaper or more expensive to ski in... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36770311
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Surcharges

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/holiday-surcharges-exchange-rate-price-increase-borneo-a7136841.html
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stanton, Wow, skiing in Borneo eh?

I don't understand your point in this thread, unless you are just trying to be mischievous and winding us Brits up? Surely not wink

The £ vs € peaked at 1.3 just before Brexit and its now back to 1.2. OK that represents a 9% tightening but it was generally about 1.25 for previous 12 months and has been as low as 1.08 so a few percentage points but hardly a life changer. I, like many on here don't ever book with tour operators so the thought of surcharges doesn't even come into my vocabulary.

I wasn't pro Brexit, far from it and am still seething about it, but am getting on with it, suggest you do the same - European ski industry needs our coin (Tiroler Tageszeitung only this morning posted an article about their Tirol's worry that we Brits wont be coming in such numbers next year), maybe that suits you personally, but I suggest others might be wanting to keep us on side more than you do)..... rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Markymark29, Just Info.. some folks think that Holiday Companies cannot impose surcharges..
snow report
@Markymark29, The skiing in Bormio is very good Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Sterling parity with Euro & US Dollar £1 = €1/$1 by this coming Ski Season.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 1-08-16 12:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 1-08-16 12:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@stanton, I can see where you are going wrong, it's Sterling.

Stirling is in Scotland, https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi5uMCglp3OAhXnJ8AKHeTEDVoQFggeMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FStirling&usg=AFQjCNGHGyi7H8G9KjbyFpNSqmmQG_0hLA&sig2=ExXgAuYFn50jIuh7wmoqSg

and may only be worth a Euro, I would be surprised.

Any way any thoughts on Italians banks? Deutsche Bank going down the pan? Unrest in France? all these things could change the Euro rate.
Most people on here have gone skiing when the rate was just over parity, it is what it is. It is like weather, British people love it if its different from last year. Ohh, beers expensive/cheap depending on the exchange rate, just means you have more when its 1.3 to the pound.
latest report
stanton wrote:

Like Paul said in his reply, the Internet is your friend. Shop around and book online. It is the modern way. Eg. I know you are in the Netherlands. Here is a tip for you... Flights from AMS via London on BA are cheaper than booking from London. That is why @admin got to Tokyo from Milan cheaper than going back to London after the BB.

Some may know I travel a lot. 1-2 short haul and one long haul /month.
What I do is check online then go direct to the airline. It is cheaper than a TO. For hotel, go to topcashback.co.uk choose hotels.com and book. You get 8-12% cash back. With hotels.com, you can find a similar price on another website and they will price match. Not a lot of people know this (hidden in Ts&Cs). @PaulC1984 mentions about haggling or comparing prices for a price match. I do it all the time. Hotels.com then give you a free night for every 10 booked.

On business I never book breakfast. In my hotel just now in Singapore, breakfast is £20 or £5 in the wee cafe outside. My company pays this but why waste money.

Anyway back to ski holidays. I recommend you come on a bash. I assume you ski.
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
@PaulC1984, You have to factor in everything & not everyone goes on Ski holidays at the lowest bucket cost rate !

I've just booked a week in March at a good hotel, with private transfers and half board. I can only see exchange rate changes in the increased cost.
snow conditions
@GlasgowCyclops, Very good advice. Thanks. And I am coming on a bash next season for sure.

There are always good deals to be had, especially at the last minute. Years ago, when I was broke, I would call around the chalet companies midweek (no email then!) and ask if they had any empty rooms left for the coming saturday. With a bit of haggling, I was amazed at the deals I could get, as it was totally last minute, and I was not too fussy about the resort etc. If they did not take my money, the room & flight seats would just go empty.

Cash back sites are very good as you say; but the percentage can vary, and it tends not to be on VAT and other taxes and charges. Recently, I've taken to calling the hotels direct, and getting a straight 10% discount because I am not using www.booking.com or www.hotels.com or any cash back site etc. I just got a 10% discount off a fancy new hotel in Val Thorens this way; but they made me swear I would not let the booking sites know!
ski holidays
Charliegolf wrote:
stanton wrote:

I've just booked a week in March at a good hotel, with private transfers and half board. I can only see exchange rate changes in the increased cost.

Exactly and in 2008 when the euro was 1.11, I don't remember ski holidays being 30-50% more expensive like the OP suggests...........
ski holidays
Eurozone is stagnating, France heading back into recession
Widespread terrorist acts across the continent are already hitting holiday bookings hard, 10% reduction in visitors to France post Nice
Two poor ski seasons
Pound will finish the year trading in the 1.25 range against the EUR as the Brexit dust settles
Euro resorts will be forced to deep discount to attract punters
2017 will be a bumper season for Brits abroad who tend to be less influenced by minor and isolated terrorism and the end of El Nino could see a better start to the ski season
ski holidays
@davidof, Someone talking sense finally!!
latest report
Currencies go up and down, the pound was overvalued so was due a correction anyway...
On a positive note Lufthansa have return flights to Munich for lots of next season for about £100/return, even during the
half-term holidays! ( Needs must with 3 kids and a wife in teaching!!! )
snow report
davidof wrote:
Eurozone is stagnating, France heading back into recession
Widespread terrorist acts across the continent are already hitting holiday bookings hard, 10% reduction in visitors to France post Nice
Two poor ski seasons
Pound will finish the year trading in the 1.25 range against the EUR as the Brexit dust settles
Euro resorts will be forced to deep discount to attract punters
2017 will be a bumper season for Brits abroad who tend to be less influenced by minor and isolated terrorism and the end of El Nino could see a better start to the ski season

Well lets hope so.
ski holidays
Norrin Radd wrote:

As predicted, Euro is about to become worthless.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Norrin Radd wrote:
Norrin Radd wrote:

We'd better hope that RBS doesn't blow up, again!
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
Norrin Radd wrote:
Norrin Radd wrote:

We'd better hope that RBS doesn't blow up, again!

Or hope Scotland in back in Europe and that will be their problem, also weakening the Euro.
snow report
When is the Euro becoming worthless again? Need to put on some forward fx positions, you seem like just the fella to help with my investment decisions.... Is it today, tomorrow or next friday lunchtime?
ski holidays
coddlesangers wrote:
When is the Euro becoming worthless again? Need to put on some forward fx positions, you seem like just the fella to help with my investment decisions.... Is it today, tomorrow or next friday lunchtime?

Ask Stanton, he's usually in the know if you like doom and gloom NehNeh
latest report
PaulC1984 wrote:
coddlesangers wrote:

Ask Stanton, he's usually in the know if you like doom and gloom NehNeh

Steady on, things aren't THAT bad..... snowHead
latest report
@coddlesangers, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
coddlesangers wrote:

Not today, rate change will weaken sterling.

Maybe September , Italy is shut till then.
ski holidays
I've just been working out the cost of our Christmas week in Tignes -

Approx £500 more than everything exactly the same as last year!!! Sad Sad

We go on a budget - drive, box room, eat in etc. The kids still have lessons and obviously we need ski passes - but £500 more this year is a lot on a budget, and if you want to squeeze in a week at Easter!

Just want to point out this is not going to stop us having our ski fix, but I wish it wasn't so!
snow conditions
£500 based on a group of what size?
Where was the largest increase?
snow conditions
2 adults 2 kids, £200 more on accommodation, ski lessons are more than £100 dearer - combination of no early bird offer, price increase and exchange rate. From what I can tell the family ski pass is only about 26 euros dearer this year but significantly (£100) dearer because of exchange rate.

To be fair I think the increase in accommodation price is because the week we are going falls absolutely high season, whereas last year, although we were away for xmas day, it wasn't high, high season - if that makes sense?
latest report
letsgetpiste wrote:
£500 based on a group of what size?
Where was the largest increase?

What's that, 10% 5%? If Euro dropped.in September might balance out?
snow report
jolo wrote:
To be fair I think the increase in accommodation price is because the week we are going falls absolutely high season, whereas last year, although we were away for xmas day, it wasn't high, high season - if that makes sense?

It does! We always go the week before Christmas and it's usually really cheap. Except this year it isn't. And we booked before the referendum. Confused
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy