Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Middlesbrough Snowdome - DEAD IN THE WATER (20.1.21)

Poster: A snowHead
The North is well served for all types of skiing. The sport started here with the lead miners, 150years or so ago snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@chrisb, I think you will find that the total population of Scotland is somewhat below 7m and Snow Factor at Braehead is doing fine thanks - a few visitors from South of the border and even across the sea, but mainly the locals.[/b]
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
On a pedantic note...the Snowdome in question will be built near the River Tees, so will be on Teesside - as opposed to Teeside. wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They are still supposed to be building on in Cardiff, next to the new ice rink, but I can't find any recent news on it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
alex_heney wrote:
But why would the catchment area for a Middlesborough snowdome be only "Teeside"?

I would expect it to include all of Durham and Northumberland and the towns and cities that would be part of those if they weren't separated out. Probably also parts of North Yorkshire would find that closer than Castleford.

I don't understand why people from Derby/Nottingham/Leicester use Castleford rather than Tamworth mind.

I didn't say it would only be Teesside. You said that the catchment area of Castleford was way smaller than one in Middlesbrough ( 1 x o) and it really is the opposite. One should also add in disposable income, and that would not be a positive in the North East (especially Teesside)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
chrisb wrote:
@alex_heney, The only snow dome in the country that is viable is Hemel. The rest run at a loss so I am led to understand. You need 7 million catchment to make them work, so the population is just not big enough for one in Middlesborough I would have thought

I don't think that is true, although it is difficult with most of them to separate out the snowdome specific income and costs from teh centre as a whole.

But Tamworth made 2.3 million pre tax profit last year:
https://companycheck.co.uk/company/05672413/SNOWDOME-GROUP-LIMITED/financial-accounts
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
alex_heney wrote:
But why would the catchment area for a Middlesborough snowdome be only "Teeside"?

I would expect it to include all of Durham and Northumberland and the towns and cities that would be part of those if they weren't separated out. Probably also parts of North Yorkshire would find that closer than Castleford.

I don't understand why people from Derby/Nottingham/Leicester use Castleford rather than Tamworth mind.

I didn't say it would only be Teesside. You said that the catchment area of Castleford was way smaller than one in Middlesbrough ( 1 x o) and it really is the opposite. One should also add in disposable income, and that would not be a positive in the North East (especially Teesside)

I know you didn't. I was actually responding to MarkyMark there, but somehow didn't quote it (which is very unlike me).

I must admit, I wasn't really thinking how far away from Castleford the catchment area might spread, I was thinking the main catchment would be people within 30-45 minutes, but if a large proportion of their customers are really travelling 2-3 times that far, then it makes a big difference - and much more so to Castleford than to Middlesborough.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@foxtrotzulu, @RobW, too true!

Surely they could fit one in off the M3/M4 somewhere...

There do seem to be far more snow centres oop north.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
There do seem to be far more snow centres oop north
Castleford....Manchester....Glasgow....

Puzzled as to how a grand total of three could be interpreted as far more than anywhere Puzzled (Er, Tamworth's not being classed as up norf is it Laughing ??)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anything north of Winchester is north to me!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@HoneyBunny, I'd head south.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I usually do...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Still cant believe this hasnt been approved. Submitted in 31 July 16 and still no decision from middlesbrough council.
https://publicaccess.middlesbrough.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=OACYADKU00300
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Apparently due to debate this month according to the Gazette,

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/middlesbrough-snow-centre-decision-30m-12531821

Old article though.

Still not approved on the planning portal.

What are they waiting for? This will benefit the region tonnes
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Decision expected on 31st March

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/economic-benefits-middlesbroughs-snow-centre-12775605
latest report
Have discussed the merits of a North East of England snow dome many times with friends and colleagues. Would be great to have and I know from friends there is a lot of foot fall at Castleford from NE England and even the Scottish Borders. The big thing though from any investor is foot fall and the potential of this from a 0-50 mile plus 360 degree radius from the facility. Any NE England dome whether it be Newcastle, Sunderland or Boro suffers from a near 180 degree 'hole' in potential foot fall. Then considering that the footfall needs to also have the expendable income to afford to use facilities and pay the higher prices that snow domes need to charge to stay open. Being part of a vibrant dry slope community in Sunderland, there has been a lot of work done to increase the accessibility of the sport by opening up free and subsidised tasters and lessons but even with considerably cheaper group lessons and great value for money private lessons, lots of families in the area demographic simply can't afford it.
latest report
scottief wrote:
Have discussed the merits of a North East of England snow dome many times with friends and colleagues. Would be great to have and I know from friends there is a lot of foot fall at Castleford from NE England and even the Scottish Borders. The big thing though from any investor is foot fall and the potential of this from a 0-50 mile plus 360 degree radius from the facility. Any NE England dome whether it be Newcastle, Sunderland or Boro suffers from a near 180 degree 'hole' in potential foot fall. Then considering that the footfall needs to also have the expendable income to afford to use facilities and pay the higher prices that snow domes need to charge to stay open. Being part of a vibrant dry slope community in Sunderland, there has been a lot of work done to increase the accessibility of the sport by opening up free and subsidised tasters and lessons but even with considerably cheaper group lessons and great value for money private lessons, lots of families in the area demographic simply can't afford it.

Could say the same for scotland? Theres is near to the coast and still manages to keep going.

Will probably be bad news for silksworth as the 'real' snow is far better than a old outdoor slope IMHO.
latest report
I don't disagree, Glasgow does appear to do OK and despite it being there, there are a few dry slopes too that are doing alright so I'd like to hope that Silky could survive. For some with the budget it would be a no brainer to travel to indoor snow but for others dry slopes make it a much more affordable proposition.
latest report
Of course. Believe Silky is only £10/hr isnt it from looking at their site. Since we only live about 30mins away, should really get down and see what its like to keep on top of our already poor skills from when we go to scotland once a year.

North east england has a population of around 2.61million whilst north yorkshire has circa 600k. So your looking at around 3-3.5million potential people that could use the indoor slopes. Complete Scotland population is 5.3million people so not a huge deficit when you consider the land mass of both areas.

Im actually really looking forward to it. Castleford is 80miles for us which is a hour and a half away. To have something thats 25mile away or 40minutes would be far more beneficial.

I guess the people who use the northern england slopes, weardale, raise, yad moss etc would all be custom to the boro slope.
snow conditions
A snowdome in Middlesbrough, pah never be as good as Eston Hills ski centre wink
ski holidays
Quote:
A snowdome in Middlesbrough, pah never be as good as Eston Hills ski centre
Laughing Laughing Laughing

I went once, in late 1992. At the time, I was used to the Dendix of Silksworth and Willington - and found the rock hard, unforgiving, stiff plastic of Eston to be a very sobering experience. Seem to recall thinking that (compared to Dendix) it was like skiing on ice - a feeling of careering across the surface, rather than being able to hold an edge. I never went back - and deemed it unsuitable to encourage my new girlfriend of the time (now Mrs MA Very Happy...) to visit as she was just returning to skiing after learning on a school trip years before and I thought she'd be put off for life...

I recently came across this nostalgic article - I wonder if any snowHead are pictured in the gallery? http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/nostalgia/remember-blog-vision-uks-largest-6870362
latest report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
A snowdome in Middlesbrough, pah never be as good as Eston Hills ski centre
Laughing Laughing Laughing

I went once, in late 1992. At the time, I was used to the Dendix of Silksworth and Willington - and found the rock hard, unforgiving, stiff plastic of Eston to be a very sobering experience. Seem to recall thinking that (compared to Dendix) it was like skiing on ice - a feeling of careering across the surface, rather than being able to hold an edge. I never went back - and deemed it unsuitable to encourage my new girlfriend of the time (now Mrs MA Very Happy...) to visit as she was just returning to skiing after learning on a school trip years before and I thought she'd be put off for life...

I recently came across this nostalgic article - I wonder if any snowHead are pictured in the gallery? http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/nostalgia/remember-blog-vision-uks-largest-6870362

Injection moulded plastic ski surfaces where a challenge to ski on. I used to ski at Catterick Ski Centre which had a similar (but better surface made by Curver). I once went to Eston to have a look and was horrified at the state of it. The owners had a great scheme charging people to train as instructors. Also apparently they had to show willing with a slope as the council where running out of patience with the project
snow report
The planning application for the Boro slope is to be determined tomorrow.

It's recommended for approval Very Happy - so hopefully full steam ahead from here - though not holding my breath with the Middlehaven area's development history... Confused
snow conditions
"The owners had a great scheme charging people to train as instructors"

Yes I was one the trainee instructors. Still have Eston Hills Ski school sweat shirt to prove it! I can vouch that the surface was just like boiler plate ice. Good for honing your technique, but not exactly fun!
ski holidays
Approved!!

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/30m-middlesbrough-snow-centre-approved-12826003
latest report
Quote:
Approved!!
Great news that - as well as the article stating that it could be operational by the end of 2017/early 2018. Seems very swift - but there you go. However, I will still only believe it when I'm clicking into my bindings. I'm so near at work (10 mins walk) that I would even be able to ski on my lunchbreak...Laughing
snow report
Lucky for some!

Yeah, bit different timings than another article I read of 2019 but it's coming and that's all that matters.

Probably be late 2018.
snow conditions
TV's Look North just said operational in mid 2019 - the 2017/18 reference must mean first spade in the ground....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
They will need to raise the money first but it is probably good news for north east skiing. The existing centres in Wakefield and Manchester have generally been helpful to the club fields although they have not prepared users for the fast lift at Yad Moss.
I guess price may be key.
snow report
@mountainaddict, that's really great news for your area Very Happy Very Happy
I have friends who live up there who are massive ski freaks, their 18 year old son was recently on ski Sunday on a segment about British junior racers. so am sure they will be chomping at the bits to use it.

I would have said you would be slipping and sliding by 2018/19 as well, though to be fair they are only glorified industrial units.
not sure how long Hemel took to develop, but I was still living in the area at the time and first I knew of it changing from dry slope to fridge was at the ski show a few months after it opened!!!

just hope the plans for the one proposed for Bristol a few years back get resurrected again, or Swindon for that matter, as much as I like mount Hemel (we go when visiting relatives in the area), it would be fantastic to have a fairly local one.
ski holidays
Ahh that's great news! I've recently signed our girls up for polar bear club at Silksworth and can't imagine swapping for a dome just for the snow. We'll definitely use it but price will mean it's birthday treats rather than every other weekend.
The atmosphere at Silksworth has been very welcoming and I wonder if a business with such massive overheads could have quite the same infectious enthusiasm as the local clubs. Still, I've got everything crossed it comes off! Very Happy
ski holidays
Are the Dutch building it?
snow conditions
re
You need 7 million catchment to make them work, so the population is just not big enough for one in Middlesborough I would have thought

The population of Teeside (and the spending power therein) will not be enough id expect, but if you roll in the populations of the entire North east - up towards Scotland - right down into North Yorkshire, and across Co Durham then IF their pricing is competitive then it has a chance in my opinion.

If they go for top price, people of the North east will not support it I doubt. There just isnt the ski community and the cash, but if they make it so that people can afford to go on a regular basis then I think it can be a success. All depends if they get greedy! There isnt a massive customer base really - so grab those North east Skiers with competitive pricing , and hang on to them, as there arent another 10,000 around the corner!
Peter
ski holidays
Can we have one in the south now, please?

And I don't mean London. The proper south.
snow report
There's already one at Milton Keynes
ski holidays
@Frosty the Snowman,
The South is below the M4, so that probably rules out Swindon as well wink
ski holidays
So... if the south begins at the M4 the north must begin at the A69.

That makes the Midlands rather large. Toofy Grin
snow report
Well, there is a fairly active ski and snowboard community in the north east. Don't forget that we still have three active real ski areas and a recent history of plentiful artificial ski centres.

As recently as the 1980s there were 11 permanent or semi permanent ski tows in the north Pennines alone and numerous portable club tows. So in theory the interest should be there.
ski holidays
@Peter S, however, it is most likely that a greater proportion of the population in the south go skiing on holiday as they have more disposable income generally (I say this as an estranged northerner). Fridges were proposed for Swindon and Weston-S-Mare but that seems to have died a death. The only fridge I have easy access to using is in the kitchen.

In Gloucester, we do have the longest dry slope in England and Wales - I used to take students there many moons ago (the one Eddie Edwards used). Also took them to a dry slope near Bristol airport where I had my best lesson ever from an instructor called Chris.
ski holidays
I'm a Boro lad and I cannot believe anyone is considering building a snowdome in the area of the UK with the lowest disposable income. Bloody crackers.
The only upside is that it could see the growth of a large retail/leisure complex such as at Castleford. Next to the proposed site is a huge Sansburys, which was built by the retailer, and then mothballed 2 years ago. This gives you some idea of the value of the "Boro Pound"

latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy