Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Middlesbrough Snowdome - DEAD IN THE WATER (20.1.21)

Poster: A snowHead
marksovereign wrote:
Problem is making money with these Fridges. They cost a fortune to put up and run and the key question is will it be sustainable in Middlesborough.
The Chill FactorE in Manchester has struggled to make money so whether it is viable is another question entirely!

Yup,
Swindon, Bristol, Cardiff - all been through the planning - none have ever been built!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You forgot Weston-Super-Mare which didn't even have a hill to help it get started.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LeisureDome,_Weston-super-Mare

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 21-05-18 17:11; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Also Ipswich.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SnOasis
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Middlesbrough council are throwing money at projects to regenerate Middlehaven. The new bridge that was required before the snow dome can be built is due to be finished in 2 months.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Any further updates on this??
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
They are still building the access bridge. That should be completed mid July then I would anticipate that work will begin on the site
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm retiring and moving to Stockton on Tees next month, so a Snow Dome in Middlesborough would be ideal. But i just can't see it happening. House of Fraser is pulling out of both Darlington and Middlesborough, M & S is closing in Stockton. There's no money.

On the other hand I am looking forward to exploring the possibilities of the Pennine ski areas.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spud9 Word on the streets locally is that the snowdome is more than likely to happen. Watch this space...

The Pennines ski areas are great - you'll love them. Especially if you just take them as you find them and don't expect Utah champagne powder and Courchevel facilities.

PS: As a soon to be Teessider you need to know that there's only one 'O' in Middlesbrough wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mountainaddict wrote:
Spud9

PS: As a soon to be Teessider you need to know that there's only one 'O' in Middlesbrough wink
Yup, a hanging offence as would be 1 x S in Teesside, although as a Boro lad i have no idea why the town and its team are known as The Boro as it blatantly should be The Brough
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mountain Addict/ Frosty the Snowman thanks for the spelling advice. I should know better; I was born and brought up in Stockton. I've been down south too long.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Frosty the Snowman, @mountainaddict, Quick question, how do you both pronounce Middlesbrough? Do you accent MiddlesBOrough or MiddlesbROUGH? Just I always hear it pronounced as Boro but a friend always pronounces it Brough
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Middlesbra
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
People from "the Burra" (as the locals affectionately call it, rather oddly, with a strong flat U sound...as in took) often pronounce it as "Middles-bro" when they are trying to be posh! Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
^^^Spot on Bergmeister Very Happy

That Middles-bro thing really winds me up! Imagine hearing someone split it up to say Peter--bo--ro... rolling eyes

I can also add that I have heard some (but not many) mainly Stockton residents pronounce the footy team as 'The Borrer.'
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Does anyone know how they getting on with this?
snow report
@mountainaddict, But Peterborough and Middlesbrough have a differing number of letter o's
snow report
The new bridge to allow access to the site is in place, with completion slated as this month.

Construction of the fridge is due to begin by spring next year, according to the local rag in July.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/middlesbroughs-10m-new-middlehaven-dock-14957624
snow report
Frosty the Snowman,

Touché! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Well ot has a name....
SubZero
ski holidays
Sounds good!
Seems impressive from what they are offering aswell activity wise.

Does anyone know how the sites getting om?
ski holidays
Is there a forecast date for the opening of SubZero?
snow conditions
More info from the local evening paper:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gazettelive.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/middlesbrough-snow-centre-finally-name-15232475.amp

A link to the operator's website:
www.subzerocentre.co.uk

How much will it cost?
https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/middlesbrough-snow-centre-prices-how-14145999
ski holidays
Any news/updates?
snow report
My instinct tells me this will never go ahead.
The Boro just seems a really dumb place for it.
Why have a snowdome in one of Britain's poorest areas?
People without spare coin don't learn to ski, or indeed ski.
latest report
@ frosty Cough,cough - silksworth dry slope - please apologise and stop being so rude.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 31-12-18 20:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Frosty the Snowman, are you saying that I (and my son) shouldn't have a job teaching skiing in the Alps as I come from within 20 miles of this development?
Not everyone has no money on Teeside.
Mind having said that I don't know if it makes sense to have a facility like this on the southern end of the potential catchment area.
latest report
@Scamper, sorry but I don't get what point you are trying to make.

@Chris_n, how the fcuk did you come up with that reasoning?

I'm a Teesside lad through and through (you can't even spell it) and in most any other conurbation the Middlehaven area would have been ripe as a brilliant waterfront retail and leisure development.
The only developments there in the past 10 yrs, or nearby are:
Football stadium
Offices
College
Huge Sainsbury store that was completed and then mothballed.
Middlesbrough is not Tyne & Wear, or Leeds, nothing happens.
snow report
@Frosty the Snowman, Just joking wink didn't realise your poorest area comment was quite so specific.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any further news/updates?
ski holidays
any updates?
snow conditions
Word is that things have been progressing with the developer behind the scenes - and that it's definitely a goer.
ski holidays
Thats always positive to hear Very Happy
snow report
Here's the brochure, fingers crossed things work out.
http://www.subzerocentre.co.uk/SubZero_Brochure.pdf
snow report
Problem with these schemes is tons are being announced but never get a brick laid.
Cardiff has a new ice rink but no sign of an indoor slope. With Swindon & Bristol announcing similar there is a big enough footprint for one to cover South Wales & south west. Not sure you can say that if there is 2 or 3 though. Forgot about the 500m run for Merthyr being announced

Another has been under the spotlight is https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jun/26/uncovered-the-200m-theme-park-the-businessman-and-the-missing-millions

Which is supposed to have a dry ski slope zone
snow conditions
Anything new developing?
ski holidays
How strange.. I was just talking about this to a friend of mine on the inside the other day. I haven’t been on this forum for aaaaaages and there’s a whole thread on this proposal in my backyard.

It’s very exciting. And will save me an absolute fortune taking my nipper to xscape every week for AllStars academy lessons - so I hope it comes off. Laughing

I worked at the Council until a few years back and my sources tell me it will be clearer in the new year if this is going to come off. I’m somewhat cyclical as it’s dragged on too long now. And heaven forbid we should end up with another bloody empty eyesore like empty Sainsbury’s which is just quite frankly shocking.

This would be really really great for the town if it could recreate a fraction of the xscape at Castleford.
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:
Problem with these schemes is tons are being announced but never get a brick laid.
Cardiff has a new ice rink but no sign of an indoor slope. With Swindon & Bristol announcing similar there is a big enough footprint for one to cover South Wales & south west. Not sure you can say that if there is 2 or 3 though. Forgot about the 500m run for Merthyr being announced

Another has been under the spotlight is https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jun/26/uncovered-the-200m-theme-park-the-businessman-and-the-missing-millions

Which is supposed to have a dry ski slope zone

just after they broke ground, they went bust at the cribbs/cat brain development in north bristol. though the ice rink structure is now almost up.
ski holidays
Middlesbrough Subzero snow centre update:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/whats-happening-next-middlesbroughs-snow-17022045

Progress Puzzled
snow conditions
Last I heard was that they didn’t have the finance in place. The local authority is keen, the developer is making progress, but no finance or commercial partners yet committed to the project.
latest report
http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2019/12/10/plans-lodged-for-30m-teesside-indoor-ski-centre/

Apparently plans submitted, not sure if this is new news or not.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy